CTC

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Jesus_hurley
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

CTC

Post by Jesus_hurley » October 14th, 2011, 9:39 am

Obviously CTC is tonight. While not our first look at this years team, it's still exciting that basketball season is back!

Here's the schedule according to GoDuke.com:

5:30 p.m. - Inflatable Games, Live DJ, Face Painting
7:30 p.m. - Doors to Cameron Indoor Stadium Open
7:30 p.m. - On-Court Promotions and Student Performances Begin
8:30 p.m. - 2011-12 Duke Blue Devil Player Introductions
8:55 p.m. - Blue-White Scrimmage (Two 12-Minute Halves With a Five Minute Halftime)
9:45 p.m. - Dunk Contest

For those of us unable to attend this year :( , it will be aired on ESPN3. You can also sign up for a monthly pass to the GoDuke.com Inside Access for $9.95. If you do this you can watch CTC and the two exhibition games online.

:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :duke: :duke: :duke:
Native
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: CTC

Post by Native » October 15th, 2011, 12:11 am

Was in line from 7AM to get, well, here. The night did not disappoint.
Attachments
296782_10150319445716080_525381079_8409421_899294746_n.jpg
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » October 15th, 2011, 1:40 am

Please Comment about CTC! And tell everything! I will need to pull up ESPN3 and see when the game reairs. Thanks!
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » October 15th, 2011, 2:14 am

Seth Curry and Miles Plumlee were impressive. Austin Rivers looked good early but I thought he faded in the second half. I'm thinking four starting spots are locked up with the fifth wide open. Miles Plumlee, Ryan Kelly, Seth Curry and Andre Dawkins will start. Austin Rivers is the odds on favorite to be the fifth starter but Quinn Cook and Tyler Thornton are still in the mix.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 15th, 2011, 6:47 am

Bob Green wrote:Seth Curry and Miles Plumlee were impressive. Austin Rivers looked good early but I thought he faded in the second half. I'm thinking four starting spots are locked up with the fifth wide open. Miles Plumlee, Ryan Kelly, Seth Curry and Andre Dawkins will start. Austin Rivers is the odds on favorite to be the fifth starter but Quinn Cook and Tyler Thornton are still in the mix.
I think we may see different starters based on what K sees in practice and what he needs on the court. We will not see 3 "bigs" starting as I think MP1 or MP2 will see early and frequent action from the pine, depending on how quick the whistles are. They both had 4 PF last PM before the final TV TO and that was in a 24 minute scrimmage, with MP1 garnering his 5th shortly thereafter but not fouling out (Zoubek Rules-you can get whistled for 6 PF during CTC while committing at least 12 fouls yet not be DQ'ed :D ). Fouling at a truly Shavlikian rate. AR had a great 1st half and did indeed fade in the 2nd, pouting several times after fouls, TO or mistakes. Doubt we'll see TT starting as he does not bring much offensively to the table but has a good handle and his D has improved with less fouling. I was impressed with QC. He made one long 3 and has good speed. Not Kyrie-like but he is pretty quick. Can't wait to see his progression now that his knee appears to be fully healed but he is still wearing a sleeve. Andre had some nice looks, made a bomb or 2 and his D is better. Last night was fun and educational. I think K is quite excited to see what these guys can do and clearly has high expectations.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Native

Post by Native » October 15th, 2011, 9:55 am

I just have to say how pleasantly surprised I was with the play of Quinn Cook. He's a lot quicker on the drive than I thought, especially considering that he's been somewhat injured for the past month. He made some great passes and knew how to finish around the rim. He was even willing to scrap with the likes of Ryan and the Plumlees for rebounds when it counted. I think he has a real chance to get a fair share of burn at the PG spot this year if he can stay healthy.

Seth was as advertised. Step-back fadeaway jumpers all day. Smooth.

Rivers was extremely talented and almost outscored Seth, but he still makes freshman mistakes. He seems to have corrected some of them from the Friendship Games, but they're still there.

Alex Murphy will be solid for us this year.

Miles outplayed all three of the Plums tonight. He's finally seemed to master that hook shot and can hit it consistently. None of the Plumlees seemed capable of hitting a mid-range jumper last night though. Marshall was refreshing to see, as he's more of a true back-to-the-basket center.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » October 15th, 2011, 10:54 am

Like Native, I was impressed with Quinn Cook. Rev Lawgrad was impressed with Alex Murphy, but I think he needs to add a little meat to his bones before he will make any impact in the rough-and-tumble ACC. Loved the play of Seth. Austin Rivers has loads of talent, and quite a bit of room for improvement. If he is willing to work on his game, I think we will be very happy with this young man before all is said and done.

My favorite part was the foul shots that, for the most part, went in. If the numbers I saw are right, we shot free throws at an 84% pace, and that includes several by the Plumlees. For the most part, their fouls were of the underneath variety and not 40 feet from the basket, which is a positive, but the numbers of fouls will need to lessen (Of course, Duke got all the calls last night. Not the first time this will be claimed this year, but the only time it will be true....)

I predict some ~X( for us this season, but on the whole, it looks to be a fun year, ladies and gentlemen. :duke: :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » October 15th, 2011, 10:45 pm

As a group I thought they looked very fluid (for want of a better word) compared to last year. They are a happy, compatible bunch. I know it was supposed to be that sort of event so that was no surprise, but I'm hoping there's actually a streak of mean in there for when it becomes necessary. I can't find the likes of a Nate or Singler or Lance. No enforcers with attitudes . All our championship teams have had one or two guys who were tough as nails. I'm reminded, however, that nobody ever played as happy and as tough at the same time as Battier. And I'd take a whole team of those in a heartbeat.

Austin has a ways to go in becoming a team player. It's not that he's selfish. I think its just that he's never had to do that before. Bet he learns fast round here, though.

Gosh, I like EVERYthing about Ryan Kelly! His work ethic, his smarts, his reliability and his friendly demeanor off the court with little children and grown-ups alike. Pretty tough, too, for a nice guy come to think of it.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 15th, 2011, 11:27 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:As a group I thought they looked very fluid (for want of a better word) compared to last year. They are a happy, compatible bunch. I know it was supposed to be that sort of event so that was no surprise, but I'm hoping there's actually a streak of mean in there for when it becomes necessary. I can't find the likes of a Nate or Singler or Lance. No enforcers with attitudes . All our championship teams have had one or two guys who were tough as nails. I'm reminded, however, that nobody ever played as happy and as tough at the same time as Battier. And I'd take a whole team of those in a heartbeat.

Austin has a ways to go in becoming a team player. It's not that he's selfish. I think its just that he's never had to do that before. Bet he learns fast round here, though.

Gosh, I like EVERYthing about Ryan Kelly! His work ethic, his smarts, his reliability and his friendly demeanor off the court with little children and grown-ups alike. Pretty tough, too, for a nice guy come to think of it.
Love, Ima
I agree with everything Ima said. Even watching on ESPN3, player movement was impressive for this point in the season. If Ima hadn't mentioned RK, I would've. Don't know anything about off-court demeanor, but he plays smart basketball. Even when he's not scoring, he's in the right place to make things happen.

One question: could Seth be the guy with the 'tude? He seems to have the killer instinct in spades.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » October 16th, 2011, 12:18 am

PS: Just a couple of side notes; I think our new floor is a beauty. I love all the different shades of wood. Classy.

The band is reallllly improved. LOTS of big brass. They sound really talented and solid! Now if they'd just take my suggestion and learn the great Ellington jazz tune, "Duke's Place". I've been wishing for that for years. How do we start a campaign for that? Guess I'll have to just find the sheet music and send it to them.

The Krzyzewski grandchildren are growing up before our eyes. We sit right across from them and have loved watching them over the years. Mickie throws a cloth over her shoulder to hold them when they're newborns. Then they start learning to watch for "Poppie" and wave to him and to hold their hands in the air and go "Whoosh" when free throws go down. Then comes the dancing to "Hey Baby, Will You Be My Girl". Then the older ones teach the newcomers. It starts all over again every time a new one comes along. It's part of what makes Cameron home ..... "Our House", "Duke's Place"! :ymhug:
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » October 17th, 2011, 11:01 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:PS: Just a couple of side notes; I think our new floor is a beauty. I love all the different shades of wood. Classy.

The band is reallllly improved. LOTS of big brass. They sound really talented and solid! Now if they'd just take my suggestion and learn the great Ellington jazz tune, "Duke's Place". I've been wishing for that for years. How do we start a campaign for that? Guess I'll have to just find the sheet music and send it to them.

The Krzyzewski grandchildren are growing up before our eyes. We sit right across from them and have loved watching them over the years. Mickie throws a cloth over her shoulder to hold them when they're newborns. Then they start learning to watch for "Poppie" and wave to him and to hold their hands in the air and go "Whoosh" when free throws go down. Then comes the dancing to "Hey Baby, Will You Be My Girl". Then the older ones teach the newcomers. It starts all over again every time a new one comes along. It's part of what makes Cameron home ..... "Our House", "Duke's Place"! :ymhug:
Love, Ima
Here Here! Well Said, Ima!!! :duke: