LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by captmojo » September 8th, 2011, 8:20 pm

Being a native of 'The Rock', I'm leery of anyone from Wentworth. :twitch:

Beyond that, he shares the same name as my PHB. :twitch: (again)
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 8th, 2011, 10:54 pm

captmojo wrote:Being a native of 'The Rock', I'm leery of anyone from Wentworth. :twitch:

Oh, I'll bet your PHB has quite a few nicknames, doesn't he?

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » September 9th, 2011, 7:31 am

There was a mouse in the house...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 9th, 2011, 8:12 am

YmoBeThere wrote:There was a mouse in the house...
Get a cat for your flat.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » September 9th, 2011, 3:31 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:There was a mouse in the house...
Get a cat for your flat.
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) :happy-bouncyblue:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » September 9th, 2011, 3:40 pm

I can't believe I'm brave enough (or crazie enough) to fly Sunday, 9-ll. :veryconfused:
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » September 9th, 2011, 6:21 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:I can't believe I'm brave enough (or crazie enough) to fly Sunday, 9-ll. :veryconfused:
I beg to differ, I've done it before. No day would be safer, IMHO. Might need to get to the airport an hour or two earlier for the bonus cavity search, though... :obscene-buttsway:
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » September 9th, 2011, 7:05 pm

Mr. Mouse is no longer, I'm not sure who did it, but one of the 4 did.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » September 9th, 2011, 10:40 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Mr. Mouse is no longer, I'm not sure who did it, but one of the 4 did.
Yay, kitty, kitties!!!!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 9th, 2011, 11:27 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:I can't believe I'm brave enough (or crazie enough) to fly Sunday, 9-ll. :veryconfused:
One of my best friends (a fraternity brother and classmate) and his wife are flying to London on Sunday. They picked the date specifically as an act of defiance.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » September 10th, 2011, 2:21 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
One of my best friends (a fraternity brother and classmate) and his wife are flying to London on Sunday. They picked the date specifically as an act of defiance.
I like your friend!

My neighbors will be flying home on 9/11/11.
Life is good!
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » September 10th, 2011, 8:52 am

CathyCA wrote:
captmojo wrote:Being a native of 'The Rock', I'm leery of anyone from Wentworth. :twitch:

Oh, I'll bet your PHB has quite a few nicknames, doesn't he?

:9f:
I sarcastically call him 'Fearless Leader'.
Unholy Three.jpg
Unholy Three.jpg (10.92 KiB) Viewed 313 times
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 10th, 2011, 9:12 am

My PHB has multiple names as well. One of my faves, coined by a coworker, is Captain Crisis. Let's just say PHB is more reactive than proactive.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 10th, 2011, 9:26 am

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

PHB has relegated me to doing lots of tedious, mindless tasks. They take a ridiculous amount of time, and they could be automated by a knowledgable person. So, this weekend, when I'm not at choir retreat, I'm teaching myself Perl by working through Robert's Perl Tutorial. I've also tried a little bit of VBA programming in Excel, but I think I might be able to do what needs to be done a bit better using Perl. My plan is to build (and troubleshoot) the Perl script and present it to him when I'm absolutely positive it works. I've chosen to start with automating a fairly simple task; I'll increase the degree of difficulty with future scripts.

It's win-win: knowing this type of programming improves my marketability. It also gives me the capability to automate menial tasks that take hours, thereby improving productivility. And, finally, it improves my odds of making myself indispensable before I find a new job. :ymdevil:

Sure hope I can pull this off. Do any of you know Perl? Any helpful advice?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » September 10th, 2011, 9:49 am

No helpful advice, all I seem to know right now is that it is well past breakfast time.
Turk

Post by Turk » September 10th, 2011, 11:14 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
I like your friend!

My neighbors will be flying home on 9/11/11.
Never thought of this until now, but the people who will probably have the most uncomfortable time this weekend are those of Middle Eastern ancestry (or look like it). And here are a couple recommendations for the portable music device:

http://www.johnflynn.net/jfnet/lyrics/i ... t_fear.htm

http://www.lyricsdepot.com/neil-young/lets-roll.html

Save travels, everyone.
Turk

Post by Turk » September 10th, 2011, 11:29 am

ArkieDukie wrote:When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

PHB has relegated me to doing lots of tedious, mindless tasks. They take a ridiculous amount of time, and they could be automated by a knowledgable person. So, this weekend, when I'm not at choir retreat, I'm teaching myself Perl by working through Robert's Perl Tutorial. I've also tried a little bit of VBA programming in Excel, but I think I might be able to do what needs to be done a bit better using Perl. My plan is to build (and troubleshoot) the Perl script and present it to him when I'm absolutely positive it works. I've chosen to start with automating a fairly simple task; I'll increase the degree of difficulty with future scripts.

It's win-win: knowing this type of programming improves my marketability. It also gives me the capability to automate menial tasks that take hours, thereby improving productivility. And, finally, it improves my odds of making myself indispensable before I find a new job. :ymdevil:

Good call choosing Perl over VBA. It's a good, versatile tool. I have not written Perl myself, but I've worked on teams in a few places where little automation tasks such as you're envisioning have morphed into full-blown apps that become vital to the business or IT operation. In addition to adding a new skill as you've noted, it also gives you a good weapon in your ongoing "WWWD" guerilla warfare with PHB. This will improve your productivity, but that doesn't mean you need to give it away for free to PHB.

Your PHB has expectations that the grunt work will continue to take a lot of time as in the past, and as you shorten the actual time needed with your Perl scripts, you can now do what you want during your workday with all the new free time, like look for a new job or add other industry-related skills to your already formidable arsenal. My recommendation is to don't forget you're a short-timer not long for their world. Why bust a kidney for PHB? Do what you're told in the time it usually takes, and save the good stuff for your next job.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » September 10th, 2011, 8:17 pm

I have a strong desire to pull weeds in my yard right now.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 11th, 2011, 4:55 am

Turk wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Good call choosing Perl over VBA. It's a good, versatile tool. I have not written Perl myself, but I've worked on teams in a few places where little automation tasks such as you're envisioning have morphed into full-blown apps that become vital to the business or IT operation. In addition to adding a new skill as you've noted, it also gives you a good weapon in your ongoing "WWWD" guerilla warfare with PHB. This will improve your productivity, but that doesn't mean you need to give it away for free to PHB.

Your PHB has expectations that the grunt work will continue to take a lot of time as in the past, and as you shorten the actual time needed with your Perl scripts, you can now do what you want during your workday with all the new free time, like look for a new job or add other industry-related skills to your already formidable arsenal. My recommendation is to don't forget you're a short-timer not long for their world. Why bust a kidney for PHB? Do what you're told in the time it usually takes, and save the good stuff for your next job.
Man, I've been out of the industry too long. I don't know what either of those are. You mentioned Excel programming, though. I helped my wife develop several spreadsheets at work where she can enter a couple values, and it will figure out all kinds of fun things for her. She has leave calculator spreadsheets that figure out how much leave she's earning throughout the year so she can see if she'll have enough leave for our vacations if she takes a day here or a day there. She has spreadsheets that help her calculate her production goals (they have quotas they have to meet per time worked) for any time period from a bi-week to a quarter to her yearly bonuses. She has spreadsheets to help keep track of her "other" time (time spent doing work related tasks that don't count towards her quotas). She even has personal spreadsheets on our home computer that she's used to do our weekly and monthly budgets, as well as figure out grocery lists (usually when she's baking for the holidays and needs large amounts of basics like eggs, sugar, flour, etc... she can just put in the recipes' ingredient lists and it adds them to the columns of items needed) and income and calculating our monthly payments/closing costs when we've purchased new homes to make sure we could afford them. My wife is an Excel demon. :ymdevil: There's nothing she can't use Excel for.

@};- @};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 11th, 2011, 8:22 am

I'm pretty good with Excel, too, which is why I started with VBA. One of the things I do pretty regularly is pull key words (gene symbol) out of a string of text (protein description), group the items in the spreadsheet by gene symbol, and then look up the gene symbols in instances where it wasn't given in the protein name. This can take hours. As it turns out, there's a downloadable database of protein accession numbers and gene symbols. I'm attempting to write a Perl script that will look at the appropriate column (accession number) on the spreadsheet that I get from my boss and pull in the gene symbols from the database.
-- Albert Einstein