God?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

What's your perspective on God?

I believe in God in a religious context.
44%
I believe in God, but I'm not a churchgoer.
17%
I'm agnostic: I have yet to see anything convincing me of either the existence or non-existence of God.
6%
I believe in a higher power, though I wouldn't term it "God".
17%
I'm atheist: I don't believe in God.
17%

Total votes: 18
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: God?

Post by Lavabe » June 19th, 2009, 9:50 am

wilson wrote:
Lavabe wrote:"I believe in God, but I'm not a churchgoer."

Anyone who attends a synagogue or a mosque would have to answer with this choice.

Technically, both Sue and I are gastronomic Jewish. Pass the knadls, sis!! ;)

I don't recall ever being given rules that measured my Jewish-ness by my attendance at synagogue. It's sort of measured by what rests in my heart and soul.

Cheers,
Lavabe
Yes, I am very embarrassed by this oversight. By the time I thought about more inclusive language, though, a lot of people had already voted, and editing any answer choice resets all responses.
I sincerely hope that y'all are aware of my respect for all faiths, and my genuine interest in this question as a matter of humanity, rather than of categorizing people.
No problem. I should have used a second winkie on that post. I was just playing resident anthropologist for a minute when I posted that reply.
NOW, back to my yogurt!! 3:-O
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 19th, 2009, 9:54 am

Lavabe wrote:...their Comoroan cook always greeted me with "Washington University, en Amerique, Monsieur President Georges Doof, Monsieur Sous-President Dan Kuwaiti."

Seriously, the Islamic folks in town (there are at least 13 tall minarets from mosques in town) are really great, and have always been wonderful. ILJ, if she sees this thread, could comment more.

wilson: FWIW, the call to prayer is really one of the most beautiful sounds in Antsiranana, but I learned more about the call to prayer from the ethnomusicologist at Emory, Tong Soon-Lee, who did his dissertation on its use in Singapore. REALLY cool stuff!
Cheers,
Lavabe
That nickname is the greatest thing I've ever heard. Sadly, I don't think anyone in South Carolina will bestow a sentence-long nickname on me during my fieldwork.
And yes, the call to prayer is awesome. Islam on the whole is a very vocal, poetic tradition. The Qur'an itself is really meant to be heard orally, and the written version is considered less perfect.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 22nd, 2009, 7:36 pm

It has been brought to my attention that I have been belligerent and acted inappropriately in this thread, trying to force people to justify their personal beliefs and pushing at them over and over again. I do not agree with those that say that I was trying to force people to justify their personal beliefs, even upon re-reading the things I wrote in the thread. I had a flawed understanding of the fundamental differences between an agnostic and an atheist, and I was trying to show my feelings and understand those of others and correct my interpretation if necessary, or that of others if necessary. I have come to understand that my reasoning was incorrect, and thus corrected my personal definitions in this instance. I was trying to nail down definitions for my own understanding and edification, not force others to defend their actual beliefs in those groupings. However, I have obviously come off as belligerent and bullying, and for that, I apologize profusely. I have always strived in my life to NOT bully others, as I have been bullied and have always hated it. If I made anyone feel uncomfortable or unwelcome through my words, I apologize and humbly beg your forgiveness.

Sorry.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 23rd, 2009, 6:07 am

bjornolf wrote:It has been brought to my attention that I have been belligerent and acted inappropriately in this thread, trying to force people to justify their personal beliefs and pushing at them over and over again. I do not agree with those that say that I was trying to force people to justify their personal beliefs, even upon re-reading the things I wrote in the thread. I had a flawed understanding of the fundamental differences between an agnostic and an atheist, and I was trying to show my feelings and understand those of others and correct my interpretation if necessary, or that of others if necessary. I have come to understand that my reasoning was incorrect, and thus corrected my personal definitions in this instance. I was trying to nail down definitions for my own understanding and edification, not force others to defend their actual beliefs in those groupings. However, I have obviously come off as belligerent and bullying, and for that, I apologize profusely. I have always strived in my life to NOT bully others, as I have been bullied and have always hated it. If I made anyone feel uncomfortable or unwelcome through my words, I apologize and humbly beg your forgiveness.

Sorry.

%%-
I did not find anything you posted to be belligeent or bullying, and certainly do not feel unwelcome or uncomfortable. As 'god' conversations go this one remained rather civil. :ymhug:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 23rd, 2009, 7:19 am

Thanks, Windsor, I appreciate it.

Not aimed at Windsor but open message to all: Please, I hope that "official" moderator action will not be necessary in the future. If somebody has a problem with my behavior, please just PM me or even respond in the thread and just say "hey man, you're gettin' a little out of hand, reign it in." Nip it in the bud while I'm only making an ass of myself in one post instead of four. ;) I'm a big boy most of the time, I can handle it. ;) Better that than make Sue et al. have to put on their mod hats and waste their time dealing with it.

I spend 95% of my time with three kids, two of whom are 3 and 6 and bicker and fight all the time, as boys do. I guess it rubs off on me. I need this "adult" time to keep me sane, but if my inner kid starts to show, I realize that I need to be reigned in and put in my place. So, please, don't feel like you're being mean to me. Feel like you're helping me stay integrated in the "adult" world. ;) Believe me, if I'm out of line, I'm NOT going to hold it against you for calling me on it, as long as you don't hold it against me for being a little crazy. ;)

Thanks,
Joe

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 23rd, 2009, 9:42 am

I believe in God and attend church regularly. I don't have a problem with people who believe in a different higher power or no higher power. I admit I don't understand the lack of belief in a higher power but that is my problem, not the other persons. I feel no need to convince people to believe what I believe in this area. This probably is the result of growing up among various religions and having some things crammed down my throat as a middle school/high school student.

The only belief I feel a great call to change in anyone is their lack of understanding of the great power of 9F. ;)
Life is good!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » June 23rd, 2009, 9:47 am

DukieInKansas wrote:I believe in God and attend church regularly. I don't have a problem with people who believe in a different higher power or no higher power. I admit I don't understand the lack of belief in a higher power but that is my problem, not the other persons. I feel no need to convince people to believe what I believe in this area. This probably is the result of growing up among various religions and having some things crammed down my throat as a middle school/high school student.

The only belief I feel a great call to change in anyone is their lack of understanding of the great power of 9F. ;)
VERY nicely put! I share the same convictions!!!! :-bd
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » June 23rd, 2009, 9:50 am

bjornolf wrote:Thanks, Windsor, I appreciate it.

Not aimed at Windsor but open message to all: Please, I hope that "official" moderator action will not be necessary in the future. If somebody has a problem with my behavior, please just PM me or even respond in the thread and just say "hey man, you're gettin' a little out of hand, reign it in." Nip it in the bud while I'm only making an ass of myself in one post instead of four. ;) I'm a big boy most of the time, I can handle it. ;) Better that than make Sue et al. have to put on their mod hats and waste their time dealing with it.

I spend 95% of my time with three kids, two of whom are 3 and 6 and bicker and fight all the time, as boys do. I guess it rubs off on me. I need this "adult" time to keep me sane, but if my inner kid starts to show, I realize that I need to be reigned in and put in my place. So, please, don't feel like you're being mean to me. Feel like you're helping me stay integrated in the "adult" world. ;) Believe me, if I'm out of line, I'm NOT going to hold it against you for calling me on it, as long as you don't hold it against me for being a little crazy. ;)

Thanks,
Joe

%%-
Joe - no problem, will not hesitate! Sue has teeth so just think before you speak! She is had training in sheep herding for those rebelious sheep that stray! So, I guess you won't be coming to have a beer with me? :(
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » June 23rd, 2009, 12:36 pm

cl15876 wrote:
Joe - no problem, will not hesitate! Sue has teeth so just think before you speak! She is had training in sheep herding for those rebelious sheep that stray! So, I guess you won't be coming to have a beer with me? :(
BTW, I mentioned Sue here because she has taken on a thankless job and HAS DONE A FINE JOB OF HERDING ALL OF US (ME) STRAYS and bringing back into LINE! Sue keep up the great work! I couldn't imagine doing the JOB you have undertaken!!! @};- @};- @};-
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 23rd, 2009, 12:44 pm

cl15876 wrote:Joe - no problem, will not hesitate! Sue has teeth so just think before you speak! She is had training in sheep herding for those rebelious sheep that stray! So, I guess you won't be coming to have a beer with me? :(
Not sure what any of that has to do with hanging out with you. Not a big fan of beer except for a select few, but I'd love to hang with you. Are you a skins' fan? I forgot whether I asked you that or not. If so, maybe we can get together for a game in a few weeks. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » June 23rd, 2009, 12:50 pm

bjornolf wrote: I need this "adult" time to keep me sane

So you need adult time to keep you sane yet choose to spend that adult time here?!? What the hell ever made you think we were adults?!?
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 23rd, 2009, 1:07 pm

Well, it's not like I can leave the house. Like right now, I'm sitting eating lunch with my daughter while typing this one handed. You think if I had a choice I'd hang out with you L-) s. ;) I'm kidding of course. Hanging out here is one of my favorite things.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 23rd, 2009, 1:39 pm

colchar wrote:
bjornolf wrote: I need this "adult" time to keep me sane

So you need adult time to keep you sane yet choose to spend that adult time here?!? What the hell ever made you think we were adults?!?

What the hell ever made you think we were SANE?
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 23rd, 2009, 1:57 pm

Hey, I said you keep ME sane. I never said I thought you nutjobs WERE sane. ;)

I apologize in advance if I offended any insane people with this post.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by knights68 » June 24th, 2009, 8:34 am

TillyGalore wrote:What do you mean by "I believe in God in a religious context"? Is there any other kind of context in which one would believe in God?
I suspect the "in religious context" would be those part time church goers. You know the sort, the type that believes in God when at church, but the second the are out of church, WHAM BAM, God does not exist (or until it is convienient for the person... kind of like "God Exists in foxholes" theory as he only exists when those folks need 'em)

As for me, put me in the column of I BELIEVE without condition! Its the belief in man that my faith is shaky! :))