Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: Suggestions Needed...

Post by windsor » April 14th, 2011, 8:43 pm

fordgrl00 wrote:
windsor wrote:http://www.adoptapet.com/pet5271236.html

How about this guy?

Great responses from all! Much appreciated!

Windsor, He is a cutie! A little fella like that is right up my alley...

This is the current man of the house and really would love a furry friend similar to him!
He is very cute!

The dog I posted is from a local (to you - I think) rescue group that has several likely candidates. I can also look around and recommend some training schools (it would be good to take a basic obedience class for manners and bonding) but first repeat after me "I will not train my dog at Petsmart or Petco" the training is poor, the space is too small and their prices are obscene.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » April 14th, 2011, 11:29 pm

bjornolf wrote:There are so many things you have to consider. I, for one, am a bulldog fan myself. They aren't yappy, they're lazy and while they need SOME exercise (all dogs do), they don't need a lot. They're also very loyal and fiercely protective of their families, and are just big enough to do some damage in that regard. On the downside, a lot of people think they're ugly (I'm in the camp that thinks they're so ugly they're cute) and they tend to be flatulent if you don't feed them just the right diet. So, in that regard, they're kind of like having a live-in boyfriend. :D
If Fordgrl's requirement is "non-shedding," a bulldog is definitely NOT for her! As for protectiveness, maybe it's just my bulldog, but he barely even raises his head when we come home - a robber could come and go before he bothered to get up from his bed to go investigate. He's also not the "ohmigodILoveYouandHaveToBeNearYouAllTheTime" type, nor is he all that motivated to please.

Don't get me wrong, I love my bully, but he's just NOT the breed you'd want, if you're looking for something like a yorkie or similar terrorer... I mean, terrier.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 14th, 2011, 11:47 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:Don't get me wrong, I love my bully, but he's just NOT the breed you'd want, if you're looking for something like a yorkie or similar terrorer... I mean, terrier.
:)) :))
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 15th, 2011, 10:05 am

DevilAlumna wrote:
bjornolf wrote:There are so many things you have to consider. I, for one, am a bulldog fan myself. They aren't yappy, they're lazy and while they need SOME exercise (all dogs do), they don't need a lot. They're also very loyal and fiercely protective of their families, and are just big enough to do some damage in that regard. On the downside, a lot of people think they're ugly (I'm in the camp that thinks they're so ugly they're cute) and they tend to be flatulent if you don't feed them just the right diet. So, in that regard, they're kind of like having a live-in boyfriend. :D
If Fordgrl's requirement is "non-shedding," a bulldog is definitely NOT for her! As for protectiveness, maybe it's just my bulldog, but he barely even raises his head when we come home - a robber could come and go before he bothered to get up from his bed to go investigate. He's also not the "ohmigodILoveYouandHaveToBeNearYouAllTheTime" type, nor is he all that motivated to please.

Don't get me wrong, I love my bully, but he's just NOT the breed you'd want, if you're looking for something like a yorkie or similar terrorer... I mean, terrier.
I thought she said she didn't want a yippy dog though. Maybe I was just going by somebody else saying her condo neighbors might not appreciate it.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » April 15th, 2011, 12:08 pm

As you all presumably know, my Walter is also a bully (half bulldog, half boxer). He is loving and affectionate to a fault (damn near the snuggliest thing I've ever known), and very much the let'shangoutallthetime kind, as well as quite a protective fellow. He is also a shedder, as DA has noted, and owing to the bulldog's stoutness and the boxer's general stature, he's quite a bulldozer (pushing 80 pounds of barrel-chested thickness). One more thing: bulldogs are expensive, to buy and to own. I have gotten lucky, as a) Walter just walked right into my life one day and needed a place to go, and b) he is a mixed breed and has luckily avoided a lot of the health problems bulldogs often experience. While it's true that they're generally quite affectionate and a delight to be around, bulldogs are not low-maintenance dogs.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » April 15th, 2011, 3:42 pm

My good friends run a dog rescue based out of the triangle area (Holly Springs really). They are VERY smart about their dogs and may be able to help guide you. They have quite a few dogs who need homes and though many of them are large breeds (husky, aussie, lab) there are a handful who are smaller and may not shed.

http://www.pawfectmatch.org/

Feel free to contact them and tell them that Dave Ahern sent you.
-- DukeUsul
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » April 16th, 2011, 12:24 pm

You might google "dogs that don't shed". They have a lot of breeds listed. Maybe you could find on (or a mix) to rescue. Good luck. :duke:
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » April 16th, 2011, 1:41 pm

Get one of these...
Jack Russell.jpg
Jack Russell.jpg (12.6 KiB) Viewed 485 times
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 16th, 2011, 4:17 pm

captmojo wrote:Get one of these...
Jack Russell.jpg
Until they are old and decrepit, those are the most hyper dogs ever. The one in that picture has obviously taken an elephant tranquilizer.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 16th, 2011, 7:57 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
captmojo wrote:Get one of these...
Jack Russell.jpg
Until they are old and decrepit, those are the most hyper dogs ever. The one in that picture has obviously taken an elephant tranquilizer.

Oh HELL NO. :happy-bouncyblue: = Jack Russell (now called 'Parson Rssell Terriers' for reasons known only to the AKC)
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » April 16th, 2011, 9:44 pm

I very much agree, don't consider a Jack Russell. My next door neighbor has one. Gees, that dog gets on my last nerve. :twitch:
fordgrl00
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by fordgrl00 » April 17th, 2011, 7:58 am

This week sometime I am going to go meet this little fella :O3 .He is currently with a local rescue group. http://www.adoptapet.com/pet4866831.html
:duke: I could easily name him Duke if I wanted, but Luke is cute too. :duke:

I am pretty sure that I do want a yorkie or yorkie mix. They are small enough to be a lapdog but yet they will hear something outside before I will. Which is the main security factor I want. Windsor has provided some GREAT information and advice by email. I do live in a condo, but I am fortunate to be on the end unit and the bedrooms are between the living room and my neighbor. Its also 2 levels so there is plenty of room for him to run around inside. The noise is not a primary concern. I have noticed most of my neighbors are also at work during the day. The little Starbux we have here currently does not bark unless someone is at the door or he hears something outside. Maybe he is out of the normal, I am not sure. I do not find him to be overly yappy unless there is reason. He was scared during the recent storms we have had. The shedding is a factor being that I have suede furniture. I don't mind a little but I also don't want to be vacuuming everyday, even if I do love my new pink vacuum and fondness for cleaning. There is plenty of yard around me and sidewalks to take advantage of for walks around the community.

I will keep you updated as my search continues. I am not in a rush but want to make sure I get the right doggie once I make the commitment. Unless I kidnap Zach for the weekend, this could be my only "child" for a while. =)) Please keep providing information as you think of it. What questions should I ask as I make my visit?

Thanks all for your advice and suggestions!

:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
~Shelly
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 17th, 2011, 8:17 am

Have you considered naming him "Kyle?"

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 17th, 2011, 8:24 am

He is cute! Do you know if he is trained to use paper? Does he sleep in a crate?
Iron Duke #1471997.
fordgrl00

Post by fordgrl00 » April 17th, 2011, 8:45 am

lawgrad91 wrote:He is cute! Do you know if he is trained to use paper? Does he sleep in a crate?
This is a question on my list since they do not mention on his profile page.
CathyCA wrote:
Have you considered naming him "Kyle?"

:9f:

Of course! LOL but at least Duke and Luke rhyme so maybe we would be so confused with who he is B-)
~Shelly
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » April 17th, 2011, 12:31 pm

How about naming him Singler?!! I think that would be a very cute, unique name for a pupster :)
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » April 17th, 2011, 6:08 pm

I think you should name him Abdelnaby.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » April 17th, 2011, 9:03 pm

wilson wrote:I think you should name him Abdelnaby.
Abdelnaby? Yup!! Good name. :D
DukePA

Post by DukePA » April 17th, 2011, 9:58 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
wilson wrote:I think you should name him Abdelnaby.
Abdelnaby? Yup!! Good name. :D
I like it!