CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 8th, 2022, 10:46 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
March 7th, 2022, 8:26 pm
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
March 7th, 2022, 5:47 pm
The Supreme Court on Monday night denied requests from Republicans challenging congressional maps in North Carolina and Pennsylvania that had been approved by other courts, in two rulings that could benefit Democrats in the midterm elections.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/07/politics ... index.html

Whew.
This could be enough seats for Democrats to keep the house, which would be huge.
I'm fully expecting the GOP to take both sides of the Capitol. The economy, which isn't fully anyone's fault domestically, is getting worse by the day and even though it's more on world affairs than any reason at home, the Republicans will pound it.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Phredd3
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by Phredd3 » March 8th, 2022, 11:54 am

March 7th, 2022, 5:47 pm
The Supreme Court on Monday night denied requests from Republicans challenging congressional maps in North Carolina and Pennsylvania that had been approved by other courts, in two rulings that could benefit Democrats in the midterm elections.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/07/politics ... index.html

Whew.
Apparently, though, there were four Justices effectively in favor of the Republican side here, with Kavanaugh's concurrence making it clear that he only denied the request because of time (it was seven days until the election deadline), but agreed with the three dissenters on the merits. Justices don't really have to issue opinions at all in situations like this, so it's not clear if Roberts or Coney Barrett might also be thinking along the same lines.

So yes, the Dems win this round, but it seems pretty clear that this fight is not over. Personally, I find it odd that the Supreme Court denied that it has the authority to rule on partisan gerrymanders in the earlier case, but then four Justices in this case state plainly that this is a matter of federal, not state, law and that the Court should intervene. Anyone who thinks so-called "conservative" judges are just objectively interpreting the law and not "making" law is just not reading the cases.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 8th, 2022, 7:01 pm

GOP candidates and their decided voters are pounding that the current gas prices is all the fault of the Democrats. And I'm positive that more than a few of them know that isn't in fact true, but of course they want to win their elections and they have the # issue on a silver platter in front of them. And yes, it is the # issue because every American thinks about it on every trip to the pump. It's unlike Covid, where not everyone has actually been personally affected.

The airwaves and social media are flooded with this. And unfortunately for them, there's not a damn thing the Dems can do about it.
The mid-terms are gonna be a blood bath.
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » March 8th, 2022, 8:21 pm

Quarterbacks get too much credit, and too much blame, for game results.

Presidents get too much credit, and too much blame, for the economy.

Just the way it is.

Bush, Sr. went from a 89% favorable rating (!) in late February, 1991 to being a one-term guy the next November — almost exclusively on the economy.

https://news.gallup.com/opinion/gallup/ ... ctive.aspx
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 8th, 2022, 9:37 pm

OPK wrote:
March 8th, 2022, 8:21 pm

Just the way it is.

Bush, Sr. went from a 89% favorable rating (!) in late February, 1991 to being a one-term guy the next November — almost exclusively on the economy.

Chase Brice earned all of his. :p :ymdevil:
OPK

Post by OPK » March 8th, 2022, 9:53 pm

March 8th, 2022, 9:37 pm
OPK wrote:

Just the way it is.

Chase Brice earned all of his. :p :ymdevil:

{waves white flag}
dudog

Post by dudog » March 9th, 2022, 9:41 am

OPK wrote:

Just the way it is.

And Ross Perot. (yes, I know he jumped in because of the giant sucking sound from Mexico ( AKA the economy))

That's a big reason why we got Bill Clinton. Yes he was a masterful politician, but most of the well-known Ds begged off because they thought HW was unbeatable.

If no Bill Clinton, there's no Hillary Clinton, and no Donald Trump. Life is weird.
CrazyNotCrazie

Stop the Steal!

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » March 9th, 2022, 10:14 pm

So far it seems like every documented attempt by someone to "steal" the election was a Republican cheating. yet tens of millions of our fellow Americans, including many elected officials, still think the election was stolen from Trump. At this point, anyone who thinks the election was stolen from Trump is not of sound mind. I wish someone would stick Trump and Putin in a space ship and launch them into orbit - the world would be a much better place, and they deserve each other.

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/09/10854526 ... misconduct
OPK

Re: Stop the Steal!

Post by OPK » March 9th, 2022, 10:18 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
March 9th, 2022, 10:14 pm
At this point, anyone who thinks the election was stolen from Trump is not of sound mind. I wish someone would stick Trump and Putin in a space ship and launch them into orbit - the world would be a much better place, and they deserve each other.
Wasn’t that the plot of a bad Star Trek movie back in the day?
CrazyNotCrazie

Re: Stop the Steal!

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » March 9th, 2022, 10:34 pm

OPK wrote:
March 9th, 2022, 10:18 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
March 9th, 2022, 10:14 pm
At this point, anyone who thinks the election was stolen from Trump is not of sound mind. I wish someone would stick Trump and Putin in a space ship and launch them into orbit - the world would be a much better place, and they deserve each other.
Wasn’t that the plot of a bad Star Trek movie back in the day?
Trump, Putin and Kim Jung-un are launched into space and land on the Planet of the Apes. Hilarity ensues.
dudog

Post by dudog » March 9th, 2022, 11:37 pm

Eye-opening article on the encouragement of political violence from the right:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/ ... li=BBnbfcL

And this quote from two-time governor and current senator from Florida, who oversaw the biggest Medicare fraud in history but keeps getting elected:
We survived the War of 1812, the Civil War, World War I and World War II, Korea, Vietnam, and the Cold War. But today we face the greatest danger we have ever faced. The militant left-wing in our country has become the enemy within.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » March 10th, 2022, 7:40 am

dudog wrote:
March 9th, 2022, 11:37 pm
Eye-opening article on the encouragement of political violence from the right:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/ ... li=BBnbfcL

And this quote from two-time governor and current senator from Florida, who oversaw the biggest Medicare fraud in history but keeps getting elected:
We survived the War of 1812, the Civil War, World War I and World War II, Korea, Vietnam, and the Cold War. But today we face the greatest danger we have ever faced. The militant left-wing in our country has become the enemy within.
It's funny that I feel the same way about the brainwashed right wing - Trump is public enemy number 1.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 10th, 2022, 9:22 am

dudog wrote:
I'm sorry but I must have missed the hordes of gun toting hippies marching on our state capitols.
dudog

Post by dudog » March 10th, 2022, 1:06 pm

March 10th, 2022, 9:22 am
dudog wrote:
I'm sorry but I must have missed the hordes of gun toting hippies marching on our state capitols.
We should show up to their next rally with a bunch of daisies to put in their gun barrels. :D
OPK

Post by OPK » March 10th, 2022, 8:15 pm

March 10th, 2022, 9:22 am
dudog wrote:
You overlook the Jewish Space Laser that George Soros controls.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 11th, 2022, 6:07 am

dudog wrote:
February 6th, 2022, 10:38 am
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
February 6th, 2022, 10:23 am
ArkieDukie wrote:
February 6th, 2022, 8:50 am

MO voter here. Trust me when I say there are NO good choices in the Republican primary. I used to think Greitens was far and away the worst candidate, and AG Eric Schmitt might be the best, until he started showing his true colors. Our current Attorney General is Greitens’ closest competition, and he has been suing anyone and everyone who dares to institute a mask mandate. He is using state funds to file politically motivated lawsuits, in an effort to get a Trump endorsement and/or appeal to Retrumplican voters. After all this, I see Schmitt as Hawley 2.0. The idea of him in the US Senate scares me. Hopefully whoever wins the primary will lose in the general election.
Thanks for the update. I have not been following closely - are there any decent D candidates? My personal moderate bias is that someone closer to the middle who can win over disgruntled Republicans is the best bet, but others might feel differently and I don't know the political landscape out there as well.
Yeah, what are D chances in Missouri? That state seems to have gotten really red over the last decade, what's going on? Did Obama's election suddenly bring back memories of the Missouri compromise?

Here in Florida, I'm really hoping Demings can beat Rubio. He's such a little weenie.
There’s at least one reasonable choice. The Republican Party is concerned because the chances of the Democrats taking the seat improve greatly if Greitens is the candidate, and he is the current front runner.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
dudog

Post by dudog » March 12th, 2022, 11:34 am

From NPR, "Russia's invasion puts a new light on Trump's Ukraine pressure campaign"

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/08/10850230 ... e-campaign

Putin's mistake: Not invading Ukraine as soon as Trump lost the election. Yes he wasn't ready and would have had to mobilize units to the border, but that would only have taken a few weeks. Of course it would have also been winter. But Trump would not have condemned the invasion, would probably have pulled out of NATO, and the entire world response would have been different. Which means the Ukrainian response would not have held up as well and so vigorously. I think Putin would have taken Ukraine quickly.

And yet at least 35% of this country wants Trump back.
dudog

Post by dudog » March 13th, 2022, 1:08 pm

Trump calls Nancy Mace a "grand-standing loser" (tweet video in article). Now who does that really describe?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 15th, 2022, 3:15 pm

GOP Senate candidate Herschel Walker weighs in on science.
“At one time, science said man came from apes, did it not? ... If that is true, why are there still apes? Think about it,” Herschel said in an appearance at Sugar Hill Church in Georgia on Sunday.
Go get 'em, Herschel. :-? :twitch:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/herschel-wal ... 06142.html
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 17th, 2022, 5:52 pm

North Carolina state investigators are probing the voter registration of Mark Meadows, a former chief of staff to President Donald Trump, amid questions about him listing a home he never owned on voter records, the state attorney general’s office said Thursday.

Attorney General Josh Stein’s office asked the State Bureau of Investigation to look into Meadows’ voter registration after a local prosecutor requested that state authorities oversee any probe of the matter, N.C. Department of Justice spokeswoman Nazneen Ahmed said in an email.

“We have asked the SBI to investigate and at the conclusion of the investigation, we’ll review their findings,” Ahmed said.
Tsk, tsk. :violin:
https://www.witn.com/2022/03/17/north-c ... istration/