Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » March 3rd, 2019, 9:00 pm

But wait, it's only halftime and we're up 47-19 and there are more beers on draft so our younger son-in-law orders a tulip (10-12 ounces) of the following (my tab, of course ):

Tsar (draft)-Oak Park Brewing Company

Wanna guess the style?

This dark-of-night Russian style imperial stout had a thin, mocha head and matching olfactory and gustatory sensations of coffee, unsweetened dark chocolate, heavily roasted (burnt?) pumpernickel bread, tobacco, molasses and earthy bitterness. IBUs were 51 and the ABV was 8.5%, both a bit low for the style but still "in the rotation."
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 3rd, 2019, 9:15 pm

I thought the wives were leaving at halftime but apparently not, so younger daughter orders another pint to share and this was:

Leprechaun Zombie (draft)-Oak Park Brewing Company

A dry Irish stout.

Pretty classic stuff here but wishing I could have a side-by-side with Guinness or Murphy's Irish Stouts (at another time/setting, of course, as we've had more than a few ounces of several of their various drafts, obviously). This was "on nitro," making it even smoother and richer on the palate. Dark brown color, tan head and lots of heavily roasted grains and coffee as forerunners, followed by similar tastes and a creamy palate-coating pleasure while sipping and sharing. IBUs at 37 and ABV listed at 4.4%.

We're finally done now. The bill has been paid and we're headed home. Promise.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 4th, 2019, 10:30 pm

Guns ‘n’ Rosé-Oskar Blues Brewery

Canned: 12/21/18 @ 19:19 143 (143? WTH?)
Yes, Way, Rose

Yep, all that is really on the bottom of the can .

Poured briskly from a $1.69 twelve ounce can into a standard pint glass. Color was a clear, pinkish-yellow with a fizzy, short-lived head. Garden-like aromas of flowers and fruit salad as it's made with hibiscus and prickly pear. Tastes of underripe berries, flowers and a bit vinous, resembling pink zinfandel or a light Rosé wine. IBUs from Untappd are 38 and the ABV is 6%. It's listed as a Rosé ale on the can but I don't have a clue what that is . Guess the best description would be a pale ale/zinfandel blend . Intriguing brew and certainly worth a can or two.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 6th, 2019, 9:24 pm

Hazy Miss Daisy-Zaftig Brewing Company

Trade local!

"Bottled On:
1/8/2019
Batch 263
slurp juice"

I don't print/plan the labels, I only read/copy them .

First brew in a generous amount of traders from our son this weekend.

As you might guess, this is a NEIPA and the 12 ounce pour into a boring pint glass was orange-yellow and cloudy with a moderate, foamy head. Very interesting tropical nose with little citrus. Tastes were as intriguing with guava, mango, papaya with a splash of pineapple and some orange zest. Untapped claimed 41 IBUs which sounds about right but could not verify on their website. ABV is 7%. This would pair nicely with fruited and/or mildly spicy entrees and is a very good example of the style. I've got 5 of these left. What to do?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 7th, 2019, 7:40 pm

Hop Cakes-NoDa Brewing Company

Gratitude first: Tripping William, please stand and take a bow and accept a loud shout out for going an extra mile or three and finding a 4 pack of this and parting with a couple cans that ended up being one for me and one for our son in Ohio. He expressed his appreciation and enjoyment yesterday and I'll double down on that today.

From the bottom of the pint can:

#showyourcans
02/07/19 9:14:39
Batch #479

Loads of mandarin orange scents followed by juicy tastes of oranges, grapefruit juice, zest/rind along with some peach and melons. The Vermont maple syrup, despite their claim of "lots and lots" of it, was somewhat subtle and mildly sweet. Untappd claims IBUs at 118 and I call bovine shenanigans on that stat, unless all that bitterness is incredibly well hidden by the whopping 10.2% ABV of this IIPA and the sweetness of the syrup. No way the mouthfeel was that bitter. Amazing beer. If I see this in Raleigh, which I highly doubt, I'd buy a 4 bagger for that week's beer, even though I have too much already in the cellar/garage/"on the bench."
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 7th, 2019, 10:26 pm

These Incendiary Devices-Burial Beer Company and Ancillary Fermentation

A local collaboration!

Stamped on bottom of pint can:

25JAN2019
Warhol

One of the murkiest pours I've ever seen without visible particulate matter/chunky stuff. Color was a yellow-orange-light amber. Head was moderate and foamy. Nose of a citrus and tropical fruit salad with tastes of oranges, pineapples, grapefruits, berries, papaya and guava. It's labeled a pitaya IPA and I learned tonight that pitaya is also known as dragon fruit. Very mild bitterness with my guess about 40. The ABV is 7%. IIRC, the cost was about $4.50 and totally worth it for an unusual but intriguing and very palate-pleasing ale. Some label items:

Grains: rolled oats and wheat berries
Aged on: dragon fruit, strawberries and wild blueberries
Hops: Medusa. Mosaic, Azacca, Eldorado and a dose of coconut-projecting experimental hops
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 7th, 2019, 10:44 pm

From 12/11/13:
devildeac wrote:
December 11th, 2013, 9:43 pm
Christmas Ale-Great Lakes Brewing

Fresh from the shores of Lake Erie (well, not quite as my son brought back a 6er of this from the Akron, Ohio area after Thanksgiving), this is my first tasting ever of this brew which I heard was distributed in the Triangle area with some stores imposing a limit of two 6ers per customer. It's basically an amber ale but at 7.5% ABV, it really is an "imperial" amber. Poured a light copper color with a small head, ginger makes the first pass on your olfactory lobe, followed by cinnamon. There's also a bit of baked bread/croissant aroma. Cinnamon is also the first taste, along with the cinnamon. The honey adds a nice sweetness to the mix, like you might drizzle some of it on your breakfast toast/biscuit. Very mild hop presence as the IBUs are only 30. If you want to avoid spiced seasonal brews, you might not want to bother with this one. However, if you like winter ales and this combination sounds intriguing, I'd certainly look for a pint on draft or sample a bottle if offered during the season. Pair with chocolate covered pretzels or fruitcake (ducks and runs).
From tonight:

Christmas Ale (best by 2/11/19*)-Great Lakes Brewing Company

*OK, I'm late by almost a month . It was still very palatable.

This was another ale I bought 3 of last month: one for a 30th birthday gift for our younger daughter, a trader for our son (it wasn't his birthday ) and one for me. At about $1.50 each on a close-out special at a new, nearby bottle shop, the cheap SOB in me couldn't resist .

I don't think much has changed since the 2013 edition. A nice, spiced winter ale that's not over-powering.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 11th, 2019, 10:06 pm

From 5/8/18:
devildeac wrote:
May 8th, 2018, 6:41 pm
Stardust to Stardust-North High Brewing Company

Traded some NC brews for some Ohio brews about 10 days ago and this was one of them.

"This Imperial IPA is inspired by some of the greatest music ever made and crafted with the best interstellar hops we could find."

Or:

"Brewed to celebrate the life of David Bowie, Stardust To Stardust is brewed with Galaxy, Apollo, and Comet hops." (And Bravo hops, too.)

The pour from a 12 ounce can was cloudy yellow with a modest, foamy head. Pineapple-y and grapefruit-y nose with the same tastes plus a bit of rind and resin. Mild light brown sugar sweetness. IBUs at 72 and the ABV is 8.8%. Round up some mildly spicy fare with a glass of this. Looking forward to trading a couple and sharing a couple and having another all to myself in a couple weeks.
Fresh outta the can and into the pint glass tonight:

Stardust to Stardust-North High Brewing Company

On bottom of can:
(smudge) on
(smudge) 10/2018

Our son liked this so much he bought another 4 pack last month and traded it to me last week.

Same notes apply. Fuse reviewed this in early June and described a lot of chunk but I didn't see that with my 12 ounce pour but there was a lot of haze. A lot. I perceived his tastes of mango, guava and papaya (IIRC) that he mentioned with this edition along with a lot of "fleshy fruits" to accompany the pineapple-y juiciness. I'm "red-shirting" 3 of these but 1 or 2 could enter the "transfer portal" in a couple or three weeks.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 11th, 2019, 10:24 pm

Youze guyz finally made me buy/try this. I actually bought 3 less than a month ago and included 1 in the 30 beers for 30 years packages for our daughter 2 weeks ago and the second as a trader with our son. Guess who drank the third one tonight?

Pineapple Thief (canned on 10/17/missing numbers)-Southern Pines Brewing Company

Pint can with some very interesting artwork that was about $4.75 after a 15% case discount at the new shop in town, Falls Village Wine and Beer.

Pour was a very hazy orange-yellow with a generous, foamy head. Damn, Tripping William is right (again) as this stuff smells like Dole Pineapple Juice and tastes like it, too, with a splash of Coco Lopez (coconut added) and vanilla (added). Mouthfeel is smooth from the added oats and the sweetness is from the lactose, hence they labeled it a fruited NEIPA. Some additional fruit/juicy flavors (a bit of grapefruit and mango?) are derived from the Citra, Idaho 7 and Mosaic hops. The IBUs stated on the can are 38 and it was minimally bitter. ABV is 6.5%. Excellent selection.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 13th, 2019, 8:35 pm

Captain Boots (can't remember date and Mrs. dd recycled can today)-Casita Ceverceria

More nearby/local!

From Fountain, NC, population 425 (no typo ).

Easily one of the best brown ales I've ever had, including DFH Indian Brown Ale, Raison D'Etre, Raison D'Extra and Palo Santo Marron.

A vigorous pour from a very pretty 16 ounce can showed me a dark, dark brown elixir with a frothy, tan head. Enticing aromas of coffee (added), cinnamon (added) and milk chocolate (not added). Tastes more of the same with nutty and dark brown sugar overtones (Muscavado sugar added), herbal/earthy hops (unnamed) and a smooth, smooth mouthfeel (golden naked oats added). Can't find the IBU stats so I'll guess 30. ABV is 7.5% so it's technically an imperial brown ale. I think this was about $4 after my 15% mixed case discount last month. I'd certainly buy this again and if anyone in eastern/central NC sees it at their favorite specialty beer store, it should be purchased without hesitation.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 13th, 2019, 10:11 pm

Hop Swapper-Zaftig Brewing Company

(on label)-

Bottled on:
12/21/2018
Batch 261
El Dorado
Amarillo

Trade local (and bring home to NC to drink)!

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard (boring) pint glass. Color was yellow-straw and it was quite cloudy but not chunky. The last 5 ml shoulda been left in the bottle . Head was foamy and full. Interesting scents of pineapple, grapefruit, peaches, papaya and mango with tastes of the same. Pulpy/pithy/fleshy bitterness, guessing about 40 IBUs here. It's an imperial NEIPA and the ABV is a deceptive 9.5%. Another high quality Zaftig brew. I have 3 left from the 4 pack so they're available for trading/entering the transfer portal .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 14th, 2019, 8:53 pm

Sweet Jane Strawberry (brewed on )-Great South Bay Brewery for Fat Orange Cat and distributed by Twelve Percent Beer Project

How's that for the credits?

This rivals Salamander Slime, err, Slam and Taxman's Passion Fruit Guava La Maison from last spring/summer as one of the chunkiest beers I've ever seen. This was not a pretty sight except for the pinkish-orange-yellow hue.

Poured the first 12 ounces waaaay too aggressively into my pint glass and waited at least 15 min for some of the UFOs (Unidentified Floating Objects) to settle a bit. The final 4 ounces were pretty murky, too, despite a gentle pour. Aromas were attractive and laced with berries and vanilla. The "chunks" really didn't detract from the mouthfeel and tastes of underripe strawberries, vanilla, orange and milk/lactose. Mild bitterness, guessing 30 IBUs for this milkshake NEIPA. The ABV was 7.3%. Perhaps they should have filtered this (or labeled the can as such) or I should have been proactive and poured through a paper towel . A bit disappointed to have spent about $5 on the pint can, especially on the suggestion of the bottle shop owner, who is almost always on-target with his recommendations.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 16th, 2019, 11:21 am

American Beauty-Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Bottled on 01/02/2019 2243

From their website:

"There was something different about a Grateful Dead show. Whether you saw one or 100, you felt it, but you knew it wouldn't last forever. If only you could have bottled it...

American Beauty, a pale ale inspired by the Grateful Dead, captures the spirit of the band's 30 years of touring and recording. Dogfish Head and the Dead both built their followings by connecting directly with beer lovers and music lovers, so when we first started this collaboration (back in 2013), we asked those loyal fans to help drive the recipe.

After receiving more than 1,500 ingredient suggestions, granola was tops. It was the main course in millions of parking lot meals and is a sweet and toasty complement to the barley, succulent wildflower honey and all-American hops.

Now in 2019 - and after three previous 750 mL releases - we're getting the band back together, releasing American Beauty in 12 oz. 6-packs for the first time ever! And we promise, once you taste it ... there's nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile."

Thought all the Dead fans who might read this thread would appreciate this beer/review.

An aggressive pour from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass revealed an amber-bronze elixir with a foamy, off-white head. This stuff really smelled like a bowl of cereal with lots of toasted grains and some sweetness. First tastes were toasted grains/bread drizzled with honey and light brown sugar. Hints of orange zest and some piney yet citrusy flavors were also present with very mild bitterness. IBUs were 50 and the ABV was 6.5%, both a bit "high" for the style. I bought 3 of these last month, two of which went to children. I'd certainly buy this again and pair with cold cut/deli sammiches or grilled/cook-out fare. A very easy-to-drink brew.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 16th, 2019, 4:36 pm

Querido Y Perdido-Casita Cerveceria

"Canned on
09/26/2018 1310

Almost local!

The beer referenced during the wee hours in the post-game thread.

Printed on the pint can's label:

"This beer is dedicated to those we have loved and lost and the ones who have survived for whom life will never be the same. A portion from the proceeds of the sale of this beer will be dedicated to Breast Cancer Research Foundation."

IIRC, the owner's/brewer's wife is a breast cancer survivor.

I purchased 3 of these last month for about $5 each after my 15% case discount. It's an imperial stout brewed with cinnamon, cocoa nibs, vanilla and chilies () so I had some early misgivings but last PM's pouring was a highly satisfactory experience, especially when combined with the Duke victory over the cheats, too.

Appearance after an aggressive pour in two equal/consecutive portions into a thick snifter was dark, dark brown with a generous, persistent tan head. Coffee (not added) and baker's chocolate were the early scents, followed by spices and grilled/blackened peppers. Tasting impressions were semi-sweet chocolate, cocoa, vanilla, and cinnamon which masked the mild warmth at the end that increased a bit as each 8 ounce portion warmed to near cellar temperature. I'll guess IBUs about 50 based on the style; heavily roasted grains, not hop bitterness. The ABV was 12% and, after an hour of sipping and savoring, became rather evident. It'd be an interesting side-by-side with (small portions ) Stone's Xocoveza, Wolf Ridge's Canis Mexicanus and AMB's Edge of a Dream. Highly recommended as another outstanding product of this relatively small, new-ish brewery in downeast NC.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 17th, 2019, 5:00 pm

Citra High-Madtree Brewing Company

Canned
09:39:04
CORYDIDIT

(I only posted what was on the bottom of the can.)

Trade local, then bring home to drink!

From their limited series, this 12 ounce can yielded an orange-yellow, slightly cloudy elixir with a moderate, foamy head after a vigorous pour. This could have been a collaboration with Dole or Tropicana juices as the nose was a delightful mixture of pineapple, grapefruit and orange juice scents. First taste was pineapple, followed by orange zest/rind, then more juicy stuff with grapefruit, orange and peaches. There's a bit of piney oiliness but not at all unpleasant. I'd have guessed IBUs of 70-80 for this IIPA and never the 120 they claim on their website. Who do they think they are, Dogfish Head ? Fuse is right, as usual, with his posting that once IBUs get above 120, it's really difficult to "taste" or sense much difference. ABV was 9.5% and, after a can, it was obvious. A wonderful DIPA that I'd absolutely buy/trade for again.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 17th, 2019, 9:09 pm

Attack Position-Crank Arm Brewing

0932 are the numbers stamped near bottom of can-I have no idea what they mean

More local-really local!

Fudge Imperial Stout on label (*see below)

Pint can bought in triplicate last month with one for younger daughter's 30 beers for 30 years, one for our son as part of a multi-player, err, beverage trade and one for me. I think this was probably about $5 with my 15% case discount.

An aggressive pour showed me a pretty thick, dark, dark brown elixir with a large tan head that almost overflowed my Founder's snifter. Doesn't quite smell like fudge but it's close. Tastes start with semi-sweet chocolate ("a whole lotta Videri chocolate cocoa nibs") and are followed by hints of coffee (not added), black strap molasses (not added), dark/burnt caramel (not added) and some vanilla (added). Sweetness is enhanced by lactose, technically making this a "fudge imperial milk stout." IBUs are 24, rather low for the style. The ABV was 11% so it took me about an hour to sip this bad boy as I contemplated/celebrated the ACCT Championship. Would readily purchase again.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 17th, 2019, 10:34 pm

Galaxy High-Madtree Brewing Company

More local/non-local trading!

This is another 12 ounce can from their Limited Series, this time featuring Galaxy hops (plus a couple or three others).

Pour was pretty similar to the Citra High's light bronze-copper with a very slight haze. It's another IIPA and not a NEIPA. Tastes were a bit more pine/resin forward but not unpleasantly so with a fair amount of "oiliness" along with orange and grapefruit rinds and moderate tropical and citrusy juiciness. Honey isn't added but it is a bit sweet. IBUs are an astonishing 120 (118 below) but I'd have never guessed that with the well-balanced ABV of 9.5% (10.2 below). I think I preferred the Citra High a bit more but this is still a very high quality DIPA. Ingredients below:

"GALAXY HIGH
Size: 5 gal
Efficiency: 82.35%
Attenuation: 92.0%
Original Gravity: 1.084
Terminal Gravity: 1.007
Color: 9.36
Alcohol: 10.21%
Bitterness: 117.6
INGREDIENTS:
10.43 lb (71.9%) 2-Row Brewers Malt - added during mash
2.23 lb (15.4%) Vienna Malt - added during mash
0.5 lb (3.4%) 2-Row Caramel Malt 40L - added during mash
0.25 lb (2.4%) 2-Row Carapils Malt - added during mash
0.5 oz (5.7%) Galena (13.1%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
0.57 oz (6.5%) Topaz (16.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
0.58 oz (6.6%) Topaz (16.2%) - added during boil, boiled 30 m
0.39 oz (4.4%) Topaz (16.2%) - added during boil, boiled 15 m
0.58 oz (6.6%) Galaxy (14.8%) - added during boil, boiled 15 m
1 lb (6.8%) Corn Sugar - added during boil, boiled 10 m
0.77 oz (8.8%) Galaxy (14.8%) - added after boil, steeped 15 m
0.77 oz (8.8%) Topaz (16.2%) - added after boil, steeped 15 m
0.1 lb (17.6%) Galaxy (14.8%) - added dry to primary fermenter
0.05 lb (8.8%) Topaz (16.2%) - added dry to primary fermenter
0.1 lb (17.6%) Galaxy (14.8%) - added dry to primary fermenter
0.05 lb (8.8%) Topaz (16.2%) - added dry to primary fermenter"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 19th, 2019, 10:29 pm

Cart-Brewery Bhavana

Local! Again!

Canned on
10/18/2018 14:40:03

Labeled as a Triple IPA on the pint can. (I'll do a bit of research on that style of beer.)

After sipping this last PM in two equal portions from a wine glass, I can only imagine what this was like fresher as it was pretty amazing at 5 months old.

A vigorous pour brought forth a turbid, orange-yellow brew with a voluminous head. It really smelled and tasted like this, which also contains pineapple juice:

There's also some citrus rind and pith on the palate. I'll guess IBUs about 70-80 but bitterness perception was somewhat mild. ABV listed at 9.5% and it was noticeable near the end of my tasting without feeling/tasting boozy up-front. I think this ended up costing under $6 for the 16 ounces and was totally worth it. Our son's review consisted of, "OMG, what a beer!" Highly recommended.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 21st, 2019, 8:12 pm

Black Currant Bam! (draft)-Broomtail Craft Brewery (probably brewed for their 2nd site, The Sour Barn, about 2.5 miles away)

Drink coastal (Wilmington, NC)!

Half pint after work today as a palate cleanser for the following 2 posts.

Purple haze! Looked like grape lemonade-no head with mildly sour scents. Tasted more like a berry-lemonade with a bit of pucker (it's a sour ale) and a blueberry/blackberry/currant (d'oh!) finish. Mild tartness and not really bitter if that makes sense. I'll guess IBUs of 10. The ABV was 5%. This would be a very pleasant warm weather beer before diner with a plate of fresh fruit.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 21st, 2019, 8:35 pm

From 10/2/16:
devildeac wrote:
October 2nd, 2016, 10:22 pm
James Bean-Allagash Brewing

Think BBA Triple Overhead run through a Randall full of your favorite coffee beans. Take the Allagash Tripel, incubate it in some old Jim Bean barrels and then add cold press local coffee. Pour from a corked and caged 750 ml bottler was a cloudy, straw color with a generous, lacy, fizzy head that lingered throughout most of my 1st (and 2nd ) 5 ounce pourings. Nose of banana, orange, whiskey and a light roast java. Taste was a cornucopia of flavors, included the expected bananas, light/medium brown sugar, a little black pepper, orange, booze, toasted coconut, vanilla with a very subtle, but noticeable coffee finish. August West graciously contributed this delightful concoction and he and I consumed most of his offering. I'll guess IBUs of 20 and the ABV was 10.8%. Definitely a nightcap (even though we sipped this at noon ) or dessert beverage. Ingredients below:

Grains: Allagash 2-Row Malted Barley Blend
Hops: Tettnang and Hallertau
Spices/Other: White Cane Sugar, Cold-Brewed Coffee
Yeast: House

So happy to have sampled this after our younger son-in-law raved about it a couple weeks ago on draft at Tyler's in Carrboro and had a very small sip myself at Bottle Revolution shortly thereafter.
From tonight:

Barrel and Bean (draft)-Allagash Brewing

I thought this sounded familiar and one of the employees at Bottle Revolution confirmed my suspicions.

This was a 2 ounce sample between half pints. Appeared an orange-amber color with a small, foamy head. Aromas and tastes pretty similar to the 2016 tasting with IBUs low and ABV on the electronic beer board at 10%. If didn't have a bunch of beer from last month, I'd have bought a 4 pack of this. Highly recommended.