LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Lavabe » June 6th, 2015, 1:12 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Just completed, and sent, the CV requested by my former boss. Hopefully it won't require too many changes.
Oh yeah!!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 6th, 2015, 1:18 pm

Lavabe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Happiness is receiving an honorarium for giving a talk at a conference. Sadness is learning that your institution's rules require you to give it to them as reimbursement for travel expenses. Easy come, easy go.
That's not out of the ordinary.

No it really isn't - in my universe if your company pays to send you they get the $$. If you want to keep it, you pay your own way.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 6th, 2015, 1:39 pm

windsor wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Happiness is receiving an honorarium for giving a talk at a conference. Sadness is learning that your institution's rules require you to give it to them as reimbursement for travel expenses. Easy come, easy go.
That's not out of the ordinary.

No it really isn't - in my universe if your company pays to send you they get the $$. If you want to keep it, you pay your own way.
Yeah, that's what I figured. It covers the hotel bill for the week. Sucks, though. The talk was in addition to a research presentation, for which I was already at the conference. I did lots of other stuff related to my job as well, including talking to people to get help on various collaborators' projects. So, my institution gets the entire honorarium for a 20 min presentation, given on a trip where I conducted work-related business. The department agreed to covering my expenses for said conference, so I was going to be there anyway. It's not like I traveled to the conference, gave the talk, and partied for the week.

Of course, I did talk to people about other jobs, so I guess it all comes out in the wash.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » June 7th, 2015, 11:24 am

GAME 2 tonight at 730 , Golden State Warriors (Steph Curry) and Cleveland Cavs (LeBron minus Kyrie--out with injury)
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 7th, 2015, 8:57 pm

Lavabe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Just completed, and sent, the CV requested by my former boss. Hopefully it won't require too many changes.
Oh yeah!!
Update: heard back from former boss. He's going to look through everything and get back to me. He said his response time might be a bit slow because his grandkids are in town for the summer. Meanwhile, I'll keep doing my thing. And praying.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 8th, 2015, 8:48 pm

Good old Facebook, which told me that my friend Paula likes Sony headphones that are available from Amazon.

Um, FB, Paula is DEAF. She is the best adapted person I have ever met (reads lips, speaks perfect English, etc.) but headphones are wasted on her. :-o
Iron Duke #1471997.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 9th, 2015, 8:16 am

lawgrad91 wrote:Good old Facebook, which told me that my friend Paula likes Sony headphones that are available from Amazon.

Um, FB, Paula is DEAF. She is the best adapted person I have ever met (reads lips, speaks perfect English, etc.) but headphones are wasted on her. :-o
Just to play devil's advocate, my mom taught deaf kids for many years. They loved feeling the vibrations from speakers that were put down facing the floor. Danced all over the place. Maybe headphones are like that?
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 9th, 2015, 9:39 am

Granddaughter Donna broke her ankle yesterday. I wish they were closer. :wizard: :wizard: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY:
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » June 9th, 2015, 10:11 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:Granddaughter Donna broke her ankle yesterday. I wish they were closer. :wizard: :wizard: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY:
Ouch! Vibes on a quick recovery!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 9th, 2015, 11:14 am

Ankle vibes.

:ymhug: :wizard: :YMPRAY:
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 9th, 2015, 7:13 pm

LAX is a dumpy airport!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 10th, 2015, 12:11 am

YmoBeThere wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:Granddaughter Donna broke her ankle yesterday. I wish they were closer. :wizard: :wizard: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY:
Ouch! Vibes on a quick recovery!
Thanks. We're hoping. With a 4 year old and a 2 1/2 month old, it won't be easy.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 10th, 2015, 12:13 am

bjornolf wrote:Ankle vibes.

:ymhug: :wizard: :YMPRAY:

Thank you.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » June 10th, 2015, 4:55 am

Ankle Vibes :wizard:

Cavs lead 2 - 1 over Golden State.
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » June 10th, 2015, 6:28 am

Oh dear! Healing vibes!!!
:wizard: :wizard:
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 10th, 2015, 8:23 am

Quick healing ankle vibes to Donna.
Life is good!
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » June 10th, 2015, 8:26 am

Oh dear! Ankle healing vibes for Donna! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 10th, 2015, 11:35 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
Quick healing ankle vibes to Donna.
Oh, man, VDB. Sorry I missed this. Vibes and prayers for Donna!
Iron Duke #1471997.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 10th, 2015, 4:52 pm

Thanks everyone. An update of Donna. The ct scan shows the inner and outer ankle is broken. I wish I could be there to help her. We have Max's graduation Monday. Then we are going to the mountain house for a Shelton family reunion. Dana can't go. Her dog is a sweet dog from Hell. No one else can deal with him. We can't have him here because he inside about all the time and has been know to "mark". I hate it. Maybe I can figure way to go later. :wizard: :wizard:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 10th, 2015, 5:25 pm

I have jury duty July 8th. I would love to be dismissed. Any suggestions on what tee shirt I should try to bye? LG, do you have any left over from court? :D