Post by CrazyNotCrazie » April 30th, 2021, 9:40 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 6:31 pm
dudog wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 6:04 pm
Who peed in your Post Toasties? :))

(I agree with you)
It rhymes with Bindsey Sham.
I despise Mr. Sham and was surprised to see him be one of the few to cross the aisle on a piece of climate-related legislation - I double took when I saw his name. Though I am very supportive of focusing on climate-related legislation, it is not as big of a priority for me as for some other people, so I don't fully understand the nuances of people's positions, but it is nice to see something that is not 100% party line. As they say, even a broken clock is correct twice a day.

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-envir ... ps-methane
dudog
Full Time Student at PWing school

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by dudog » May 3rd, 2021, 7:55 am

At least y'all don't live in Florida:

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinion/ed ... xCLk7OCiPU

At least I've got the weather and the beach.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » May 3rd, 2021, 8:49 am

dudog wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 7:55 am

Wow. That is scary. The Republican party truly does not actually stand for anything anymore. All they stand for is sticking it to the Democrats. Yeah - you're the big winners, Republicans! Go have a boat parade to celebrate! Give each other a lot of big, maskless, vax-less hugs while you're at it. Hope all your assault rifles don't go off in the process.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 4th, 2021, 7:52 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 8:49 am
dudog wrote:

Wow. That is scary. The Republican party truly does not actually stand for anything anymore. All they stand for is sticking it to the Democrats. Yeah - you're the big winners, Republicans! Go have a boat parade to celebrate! Give each other a lot of big, maskless, vax-less hugs while you're at it. Hope all your assault rifles don't go off in the process.
MO provides similar examples of Republican legislatures run amok. They’re refusing to put Medicaid expansion into the state budget for next year, despite the fact that the voters approved it as a constitutional amendment in the last election. They say the state can’t afford it, and they claim their constituents were misled into voting for it. I’m sure they’ll do the same with Medicaid expansion that they did for redistricting. Since they didn’t like the commission of independent cartographers that we approved in 2018, they wrote a super confusing new bill in 2020 to supersede it. Their bill gave power back to the legislature and was written in such a confusing manner that I almost voted for it. The darn thing passed. I’m hearing that they might be sued over their refusal to include Medicaid expansion in the budget. About damn time, I’d say. I’d love to see them get sued over their monkey business regarding redistricting.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » May 4th, 2021, 9:13 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
May 4th, 2021, 7:52 am
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
dudog wrote:

MO provides similar examples of Republican legislatures run amok. They’re refusing to put Medicaid expansion into the state budget for next year, despite the fact that the voters approved it as a constitutional amendment in the last election. They say the state can’t afford it, and they claim their constituents were misled into voting for it. I’m sure they’ll do the same with Medicaid expansion that they did for redistricting. Since they didn’t like the commission of independent cartographers that we approved in 2018, they wrote a super confusing new bill in 2020 to supersede it. Their bill gave power back to the legislature and was written in such a confusing manner that I almost voted for it. The darn thing passed. I’m hearing that they might be sued over their refusal to include Medicaid expansion in the budget. About damn time, I’d say. I’d love to see them get sued over their monkey business regarding redistricting.
If we think this is bad, imagine what it must be like being a Democrat congressperson in one of these states - you spend your whole life banging your head against the wall, surrounded by nasty idiots. It is amazing that until just a few years ago Missouri was pretty centrist and had Claire McCaskill as its senator.
dudog

Post by dudog » May 4th, 2021, 5:30 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
May 4th, 2021, 7:52 am
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
dudog wrote:

The only thing their constituents have been misled into voting for is their representatives.

As I wrote that I realized I was wrong, people are just stupid. I fear they are getting what they want.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 4th, 2021, 7:09 pm

dudog wrote:
May 4th, 2021, 5:30 pm
The only thing their constituents have been misled into voting for is their representatives.

As I wrote that I realized I was wrong, people are just stupid. I fear they are getting what they want.
Getting what they are told they want. Trump was masterful at that. He never said "Don't you think that this should happen?"
He always said "You know that this should happen." And after he said it enough, he was right, because he made himself right.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » May 4th, 2021, 10:11 pm

Trump is refusing to pay Rudy's legal bills. Shocking! Anyone who does any work for Trump who doesn't have a) a perfect contract, and b) a huge upfront cash retainer is a moron and deserves what is coming to them. For a lawyer to do so it speaks to what a bad lawyer he is.

Interestingly, I saw in another article that everyone's favorite Dukie, Andrew Giuliani, who was Trump's golf partner for the past four years has also spoken up on behalf of his father. There have been rumblings that he might run for governor of NY but there is no way he could do so without Trump's full backing (even though I think he has no chance, but who knows). So Andrew questioning Trump is kind of interesting.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... alling-out
dudog

Post by dudog » May 4th, 2021, 10:40 pm

This 4-minute video proves my point above:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... i-BB1gmGzw
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 5th, 2021, 9:08 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
May 4th, 2021, 10:11 pm
Trump is refusing to pay Rudy's legal bills. Shocking! Anyone who does any work for Trump who doesn't have a) a perfect contract, and b) a huge upfront cash retainer is a moron and deserves what is coming to them. For a lawyer to do so it speaks to what a bad lawyer he is.

Interestingly, I saw in another article that everyone's favorite Dukie, Andrew Giuliani, who was Trump's golf partner for the past four years has also spoken up on behalf of his father. There have been rumblings that he might run for governor of NY but there is no way he could do so without Trump's full backing (even though I think he has no chance, but who knows). So Andrew questioning Trump is kind of interesting.

That article is from January. I wonder if Trump's tune has changed now that Rudy has been raided.
"Anything you want to tell us about your old boss?"
"You mean the guy that hasn't paid me? I might have a thing or two to say."
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » May 5th, 2021, 9:44 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 9:08 am
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
May 4th, 2021, 10:11 pm

That article is from January. I wonder if Trump's tune has changed now that Rudy has been raided.
"Anything you want to tell us about your old boss?"
"You mean the guy that hasn't paid me? I might have a thing or two to say."
Sorry - my bad - good catch. The article I read on the topic was in the NYT in the past day or two. I know that some people can't read NYT so I tried to find an equivalent article to post that basically said the same thing - I didn't notice the date on that one. The Giuliani comment that I mentioned was in the NY Times article from this week. Here is the NYT article for those who are interested. TL/DR - things haven't changed a lot, Trump still isn't paying Giuliani, Giuliani is not happy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/04/us/p ... trump.html

Not to be the NYT cheerleader (I historically have been a huge fan but have actually been getting very frustrated lately with their cover of some local issues here), but Thomas Friedman has a great column today about how supporting Trump's claim that the election was rigged has become a litmus test for the current Republican party and that belief in this total lie is going to end up taking down our country.

I have been saying this to some extent for a while (with at least one former poster here getting their panties in a bunch about my comments) but when you have two completely different forms of the truth, things are not going to end well. A large number of Republicans raised hell when they thought that Trump lost a fraudulent election solely because he said so. As Friedman notes, think of how the Dems will respond when they lose a truly fraudulent election in 2024? I don't know if there will be out-and-out cheating, but the Republicans are clearly laser-focused now on changing the laws in their favor - this is their number one policy priority, if you can call this a policy...

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/04/opin ... ction.html
dudog

Post by dudog » May 5th, 2021, 12:35 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 9:44 am
Sorry - my bad - good catch. The article I read on the topic was in the NYT in the past day or two. I know that some people can't read NYT so I tried to find an equivalent article to post that basically said the same thing - I didn't notice the date on that one. The Giuliani comment that I mentioned was in the NY Times article from this week. Here is the NYT article for those who are interested. TL/DR - things haven't changed a lot, Trump still isn't paying Giuliani, Giuliani is not happy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/04/us/p ... trump.html

Not to be the NYT cheerleader (I historically have been a huge fan but have actually been getting very frustrated lately with their cover of some local issues here), but Thomas Friedman has a great column today about how supporting Trump's claim that the election was rigged has become a litmus test for the current Republican party and that belief in this total lie is going to end up taking down our country.

I have been saying this to some extent for a while (with at least one former poster here getting their panties in a bunch about my comments) but when you have two completely different forms of the truth, things are not going to end well. A large number of Republicans raised hell when they thought that Trump lost a fraudulent election solely because he said so. As Friedman notes, think of how the Dems will respond when they lose a truly fraudulent election in 2024? I don't know if there will be out-and-out cheating, but the Republicans are clearly laser-focused now on changing the laws in their favor - this is their number one policy priority, if you can call this a policy...

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/04/opin ... ction.html
Thanks CnC. To those of us who don't subscribe to the NYT, here's some Cliff's Notes...but I link mostly for the video at the bottom of the article, Friedman interviewed by Cooper.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/thomas-f ... f50dc77073
dudog

Post by dudog » May 5th, 2021, 11:12 pm

Fox needs to vet it's 12-year-old guests better :sigh: :facepalm2: :fugly: :))

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/see-i ... li=BBnbfcL
dudog

Post by dudog » May 6th, 2021, 9:56 am

I link this article almost entirely for the following quote:
“I think anybody who's a decent Republican is going to get behind whoever Donald Trump eventually endorses,” Smith said in an interview. “He's gonna look under every rock and look over the lay of the land, and he's going to determine who that person that he's going to get behind is.”
That's a Republican saying that. This is their best place to look for candidates who meet their standards.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » May 6th, 2021, 12:15 pm

dudog wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 9:56 am
“I think anybody who's a decent Republican is going to get behind whoever Donald Trump eventually endorses,” Smith said in an interview. “He's gonna look under every rock and look over the lay of the land, and he's going to determine who that person that he's going to get behind is.”
That's a Republican saying that. This is their best place to look for candidates who meet their standards.

Your fine governor DeSantis seems to be getting a lot of press lately and is trying to position himself for 2024. It will be interesting if a party whose people seem to have a strong dislike for those with academic credentials will support someone with two Ivy League degrees (I know that Trump went to Penn but he is able to make almost anything bounce off him). The amount of sucking up to Trump that is going on right now is just unbelievable. These people just worship him. Haven't all these evangelicals read the bible passage on false idols?
dudog

Post by dudog » May 6th, 2021, 1:28 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 12:15 pm
dudog wrote:

Your fine governor DeSantis seems to be getting a lot of press lately and is trying to position himself for 2024. It will be interesting if a party whose people seem to have a strong dislike for those with academic credentials will support someone with two Ivy League degrees (I know that Trump went to Penn but he is able to make almost anything bounce off him). The amount of sucking up to Trump that is going on right now is just unbelievable. These people just worship him. Haven't all these evangelicals read the bible passage on false idols?
From what I can tell, the vast majority of evangelicals know absolutely nothing about the teachings of Christ.

BTW, this is a must-read article (republicans-are-not-in-disarray-theyre-united-in-their-assault-on-american-democracy):

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/ ... li=BBnbfcL
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » May 6th, 2021, 3:22 pm

dudog wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 1:28 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 12:15 pm
dudog wrote:

From what I can tell, the vast majority of evangelicals know absolutely nothing about the teachings of Christ.

BTW, this is a must-read article (republicans-are-not-in-disarray-theyre-united-in-their-assault-on-american-democracy):

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/ ... li=BBnbfcL
Very interesting article. I tend to agree - I feel like we are now in a brief timeout from our downward spiral - the eye of the hurricane. There is only so much Biden can do to slow things down. I usually tend to be a cynical optimist, but I just don't see this ending well. I have been saying that for months and some might be offended by it, but I think it is painfully obvious, as does the author of the article. Trump's supporters tend to skew older but not so old that they are all going to just go away in the next few years, and they are currently rigging the system to maintain power for years to come. That is not sensationalism or scare tactics - it is clear to anyone with a basic understanding of how the current political system works.

As an upper middle class heterosexual white guy I will generally be fine. But for many people I care about, not so much. I also benefit from living in a blue state (though given our leadership now at the state and local level, not as much), though we are also a target for the Republicans nationally.
dudog

Post by dudog » May 9th, 2021, 9:17 pm

I'm liking this guy Kinzinger:
"We're like, you know, in this in the middle of this slow sink, we have a band playing on the deck telling everybody it's fine. And meanwhile, as I've said, you know, Donald Trump's running around trying to find women's clothing and get on the first lifeboat."
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnbfcL
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 10th, 2021, 7:24 am

dudog wrote:
May 9th, 2021, 9:17 pm
"We're like, you know, in this in the middle of this slow sink, we have a band playing on the deck telling everybody it's fine. And meanwhile, as I've said, you know, Donald Trump's running around trying to find women's clothing and get on the first lifeboat."
=)) =)) =)) Best quote ever! #nailedit

The 180 by so many Republicans is embarrassing. Mitch McConnell voted against impeachment and then gave a speech in which he basically said Trump was guilty. It’s like they’re afraid the Trump supporters are going to show up at the Capitol again.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
dudog

Post by dudog » May 10th, 2021, 7:59 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
May 10th, 2021, 7:24 am
dudog wrote:
May 9th, 2021, 9:17 pm
=)) =)) =)) Best quote ever! #nailedit

The 180 by so many Republicans is embarrassing. Mitch McConnell voted against impeachment and then gave a speech in which he basically said Trump was guilty. It’s like they’re afraid the Trump supporters are going to show up at the Capitol again.
I say this with the best possible intent so I hope no one is upset by the language:

Liz Cheney is the only one of them with balls.

But then again, women typically have the most courage. Our culture builds up that men are the courageous ones, but it is women who put up with the most and really show it.