LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by CathyCA » August 15th, 2013, 2:02 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
CathyCA wrote:My next door neighbor's 19 year old son died last night. I spent part of the afternoon today in her kitchen, reminiscing about her incredibly smart (U. Penn), talented (cellist), and generous son. One of Alex's last wishes was to make sure that a young kid he had befriended in West Philadelphia got a cello, a bow and some cello lessons. His mom and I worked on that project some this afternoon.

I'm going to hug my kid a little tighter tonight.

Cancer bites.

:9f:
That is so sad. Sending prayers and vibes to your neighbor and all of Alex's family. 19 is far too young. Cancer stinks on so many levels. :ymhug: :pray: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

I do love his last wish. How incredibly thoughtful!
Wasn't that last wish just lovely? He also had a few more last wishes that we're working on, but those are going to take some time.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 15th, 2013, 2:21 pm

shereec wrote:Cathy, I'm so sorry to hear this. Thoughts, prayers and healing vibes to all who cared for this young man.
Thank you, Sheree!

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 15th, 2013, 2:23 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CathyCA wrote:My next door neighbor's 19 year old son died last night. I spent part of the afternoon today in her kitchen, reminiscing about her incredibly smart (U. Penn), talented (cellist), and generous son. One of Alex's last wishes was to make sure that a young kid he had befriended in West Philadelphia got a cello, a bow and some cello lessons. His mom and I worked on that project some this afternoon.

Cancer bites.

Condolences and vibes. Cancer bites. }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Thank you, Ozzie.

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 15th, 2013, 2:24 pm

windsor wrote:

Cancer bites.

How heartbreaking. He sounds like a wonderful young man. My condolences and heartfelt vibes to his family and all who knew and loved him.
Thank you, Windsor.

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 15th, 2013, 2:24 pm

IowaDevil wrote:

Cancer bites.

So sad to hear! Hugs to all of you! And I agree - Cancer bites! :ymhug:
Thank you, ID.

~ James Naismith
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 15th, 2013, 2:49 pm

Requesting tennis vibes for niece in PA - she plays a good friend tonight to determine the #1 and #2 singles players on the HS varsity team. I'm chewing my nails already.
Life is good!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 15th, 2013, 3:01 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:Requesting tennis vibes for niece in PA - she plays a good friend tonight to determine the #1 and #2 singles players on the HS varsity team. I'm chewing my nails already.
Done! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 15th, 2013, 3:03 pm

Boy, the lunatics are running loose in this asylum today. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 15th, 2013, 3:10 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:Requesting tennis vibes for niece in PA - she plays a good friend tonight to determine the #1 and #2 singles players on the HS varsity team. I'm chewing my nails already.

As a mom who has watched that challenge match I send :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

It is easier to play than to watch. Krysta played one of her long time friends for the 1 spot in HS. 4 times. She was 4-0. She and the #2 were doubles partners in USTA Jrs and in HS for years. They are still friends.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 15th, 2013, 3:12 pm

I am looking at the Couch to 5k plan. The Turkey Trot is Thanksgiving day (of course) and there is a 5K Gobbler along with the 10k trot.
I am also having a conversation with my knees. They will have the final say.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 15th, 2013, 3:32 pm

windsor wrote:I am looking at the Couch to 5k plan. The Turkey Trot is Thanksgiving day (of course) and there is a 5K Gobbler along with the 10k trot.
Run, Windsor! At least if your knees will be cooperative. :happy-bouncyblue: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 15th, 2013, 4:09 pm

windsor wrote:I am looking at the Couch to 5k plan. The Turkey Trot is Thanksgiving day (of course) and there is a 5K Gobbler along with the 10k trot.

I have done a Thanksgiving Day 5k twice - both times I just walked it. I'm not a pretty sight when I run - think Phoebe jogging with Rachel in friends. They were both fun - it even snowed for one. I'm glad I did both.
Life is good!
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » August 15th, 2013, 4:12 pm

windsor wrote:

As a mom who has watched that challenge match I send :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

It is easier to play than to watch. Krysta played one of her long time friends for the 1 spot in HS. 4 times. She was 4-0. She and the #2 were doubles partners in USTA Jrs and in HS for years. They are still friends.
I'm not sure her mom is going to go - she says Ebeth gets nervous. I think Sister Sue is the one that gets nervous. My only advice to Ebeth is that, on the court, she needs to see Alison as an opponent and kick butt.

If her family decides to go, she will have a gaggle of spectators - her 5 aunts on her dad's side got into town today. I will just mentally pace in KS until she lets me know how it goes.
Life is good!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 15th, 2013, 6:22 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:

I have done a Thanksgiving Day 5k twice - both times I just walked it. I'm not a pretty sight when I run - think Phoebe jogging with Rachel in friends. They were both fun - it even snowed for one. I'm glad I did both.
I walked the 5k once...it was ok. Very very crowded. It will not snow that is for sure. I will just hope it isn't 90.

I have a friend who lives about an hour from me who comes over every year on the Wed. before and stays here (I am at the 1k mark in the race) because the runs the 5 and the 10 (there is about an 90 minutes between them when you run like he does). He went up to Georgia a couple years ago for six weeks and got some kind of instructor certification. He is a SERIOUS RUNNER. He runs Boston, NY and Chicago and at48 is running right at 3 hours for Marathons. He missed Boston this year due to injury. He is absolutely running next year. His body fat % is a negative number, despite eating enough for ten people. If he weren't such a damn nice guy I would have to hate him. I've had him look at the couch/5k plan and for a casual approach he approves. He did tell me to drive to the HS and run the track to save the knees or until the weather breaks use the treadmill at the gym (although he does like treadmills for regular training- but a pudgy woman north of 50 starting out in Florida in August...well he concedes A/C might be a good plan. :D . Like most distance runner he has a very (for lack of better word) quiet running style. Upper body very still and though he is covering a lot of real estate his legs glide vs. the arm driving high knee style of sprinter. His council is that the smoother I can move the less pounding the knees will take. I am to ignore the running style advice from anyone who does not look like they are a distance runner. If I get a few weeks in and the knees aren't giving out he will meet me to select real running shoes. He has provided some suggested brands from female runners to make sure I get something to keep the girls battened down.

I just e-mailed my orthopedist (he's also a friend) to see if he recommend pre-emptive braces or supports on my sad old knees.

We'll see.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 15th, 2013, 8:42 pm

Cancer bites.

A little late to the gathering here. It's been a heavy round of doc appointments around here with all three of my patients. But, as much as we are facing around here, NOTHING compares to this story. I'm so proud of my friend, Cathy, for her outgoing care of that mom. You came, you saw and you served her well. Please pass along our understanding and our sorrow shared when you next see her. She must be SO proud of that boy she raised.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » August 15th, 2013, 9:58 pm

Windsor, you and Lawgrad are going to be great role models for me. I'll have to take look at that program.

Have to brag - niece Ebeth won 6-2, 6-1 and will start the seson as the #1 singles player. That can change during the season but it is a great start.
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 15th, 2013, 10:19 pm

and now, for the next installment of "As the Bunsen Burns"

Earlier in the week, I had to deal with a visit from a service engineer. Unbeknownst to me, Wile E. Coyote's wife (who is currently running one of the instruments that I manage, but that's another story), called in a service request. Funny thing is, she didn't even relate the problem correctly to the company. Fortunately, I got a phone call from the service engineer before he arrived, so I was able to fill him in on part of the problem. He was able to bring the part he needed from his stash of spare parts; the parts that were shipped based upon her description of the problem were completely wrong. Problem #1 (the one I told him about but she didn't report) was fixed in about 30 min and was a legitimate reason for a visit. Problem #2 (the one that the expensive parts were shipped for) was basically the equivalent of changing a light bulb and was something she should've been able to fix on her own. Best example I can come up with is saying that your faucet is broken because there's no water coming out of the hose, when the problem is a kink in the hose. Or, maybe better, it's like taking your car to a mechanic, complaining about the engine being broken, when the problem is that you're out of gas. I was appalled. There were also multiple problems in the analytical method she had written. When we would ask her about them, she's say something about having read in the manual to do it that way. I bit my tongue on multiple occasions to keep from saying, "If the manual told you to go to the roof and jump off, would you do that, too?" Now, with this being said, I believe that Wile E. Coyote's wife has a few more functioning brain cells than her husband does.

Yesterday, the tenure-track faculty members in our department attended an all-day faculty workshop. From what I heard, each person gave a 15-20 min talk about their research goals for the year. I've heard verification from 3 independent sources that Wile E. Coyote's presentation was embarrassingly bad. Apparently his research plan was full of holes because he didn't even understand the biological process he was studying, and he was crucified by his colleagues. One person (not Road Runner) told me that there were people visibly yawning during his presentation, and one person even left the room to get coffee. So, now the departmental faculty members have figured out that he has no clue scientifically. Eventually they'll figure out he also doesn't even understand the instrument that he's allegedly an expert on. The question remains, how much longer will it take before The Boss connects the dots?

When Road Runner was relaying all of this to me, she was postulating that WEC must have some sort of major blackmail material on The Boss. I have a theory that I relayed to Road Runner, and she liked it. I think that, somehow, they are related to each other by marriage. My theory is that The Boss' wife and Wile E. Coyote's wife are sisters. It could be a slightly more distant relationship, but I seriously suspect some sort of familial obligation. Either that, or he's finally got a clue and doesn't want to admit that he was wrong to bring this guy in.

Today, at Road Runner's request, I worked with Bar Minion on instrument method development. You may recall that we've been down this road before, and I bowed out after she made a hostile workplace complaint to Road Runner. (This is her strategy for handling things when she doesn't get her way.) I seriously felt like I needed a drink by the time it was over. She is stubborn as a mule and does not listen at all. Seriously, she does not understand the point of what we are doing at all and is basically insistent that her current method is the best one - despite being told by Road Runner that one particular aspect of it is unacceptable. That's what I'm trying to fix, and I'm meeting resistance at every turn. Chick would argue with a brick wall, even when she's wrong and/or doesn't know what she's talking about. Unfortunately I can't complain to Road Runner; she left the country today and is going to be gone for 2 weeks. I wish I could just do it myself and completely go around her, but Road Runner's instructions were for us to work together and fix the problem with the current method. That's not going to happen at the current rate. (hitting head against brick wall)
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 15th, 2013, 10:20 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:Windsor, you and Lawgrad are going to be great role models for me. I'll have to take look at that program.

Have to brag - niece Ebeth won 6-2, 6-1 and will start the seson as the #1 singles player. That can change during the season but it is a great start.
I'll join the party too, DinK. I have that app for my iPhone. Started it once and never finished due to some knee issues. Treadmill would be a good way to go.

Congratulations on your niece's victory! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 15th, 2013, 11:02 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:Windsor, you and Lawgrad are going to be great role models for me. I'll have to take look at that program.

Woo hoo! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 15th, 2013, 11:05 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:

I'll join the party too, DinK. I have that app for my iPhone. Started it once and never finished due to some knee issues. Treadmill would be a good way to go.

Congratulations on your niece's victory! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
I am hanging with the treadmill, too. It is way easier on the knees than pavement. I'm not sure if the local High school has a track yet. It just opened last year. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.