Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » July 24th, 2024, 7:29 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
July 23rd, 2024, 8:26 pm
OPK wrote:
July 23rd, 2024, 7:14 pm
ArkieDukie wrote:
July 23rd, 2024, 7:08 pm
Anyone else think the race might be interesting again? There seems to be a lot of excitement building around VP Harris. MAGAworld is all upset for various ridiculous reasons, which makes me happy.

And can we please talk about the bizarre ear bandages at the RNC? Bunch of crazy cult members.
I think we certainly have a more interesting race with Kamala taking over for Biden. Biden was just a slow train wreck to a blowout I think.

The Electoral map still favors Trump, but at least both sides are fully engaged instead of just one. Gonna be an interesting sprint to the end.
Agreed. I want to see a debate. I think Kamala would chew Donnie up and spit him out. What’s the over-under on Trump coming up with some ridiculous excuse to weasel out of the debate?

Could Harris’s VP choice swing things more in her favor?
I think that by normal scoring rules, Harris would clobber him. But given that MAGA nation does not abide by anything normal, they will claim victory even though Trump will just be spewing lies and racist dog whistles the whole time. It continues to amaze me that these morons don't see through this charlatan. I am a broken record (sorry for my dated reference) but they truly have a different belief system, way of communicating, and overall values.

I think the VP might move things on the margins. All candidates are great until you dig deep - no one is perfect. I am fine with most of the options being discussed - some are slightly better than others, but no huge difference. But I'm not the one they have to convince.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 24th, 2024, 8:59 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
July 24th, 2024, 7:29 am
ArkieDukie wrote:
OPK wrote:
July 23rd, 2024, 7:14 pm

I think we certainly have a more interesting race with Kamala taking over for Biden. Biden was just a slow train wreck to a blowout I think.

The Electoral map still favors Trump, but at least both sides are fully engaged instead of just one. Gonna be an interesting sprint to the end.
Agreed. I want to see a debate. I think Kamala would chew Donnie up and spit him out. What’s the over-under on Trump coming up with some ridiculous excuse to weasel out of the debate?

I think that by normal scoring rules, Harris would clobber him. But given that MAGA nation does not abide by anything normal, they will claim victory even though Trump will just be spewing lies and racist dog whistles the whole time. It continues to amaze me that these morons don't see through this charlatan. I am a broken record (sorry for my dated reference) but they truly have a different belief system, way of communicating, and overall values.

I think the VP might move things on the margins. All candidates are great until you dig deep - no one is perfect. I am fine with most of the options being discussed - some are slightly better than others, but no huge difference. But I'm not the one they have to convince.
Fair point. A FEMALE colleague told me yesterday that she doesn’t believe a female should run the country. She believes that only a male can project the power needed. My response was something along the lines of, “Trump is male and projects power. Would you prefer that?” The answer was no. She thinks this is a huge issue that will turn voters to Trump. She also brought up the DEI issue, which is infuriating to me.

I told her that most people who hold her line of thinking were never going to vote for anyone other than Trump. Most sane, moderate, undecided voters will vote for Harris over Trump because she is more qualified and more sane. I also believe that a strategic VP selection is huge - and I say that as someone who could not vote for McCain because of Palin. Not because she was female, but because she was awful in more ways than I can even list.

As for the whole DEI thing, I cannot wait for my avid Fox News viewing dad to mention that in my presence. I’ll ask questions about whether he thinks I only got my job because I’m female. I’ve had to deal with sexism for my entire career, so I can say with great confidence that I’ve had to work extra hard to prove my competence. That’s probably doubly or triply true for VP Harris. His favorite granddaughter is finishing her last year of vet school, certainly not a job someone in my dad’s generation would view as being suitable for a female. Actually, maybe I’ll lead with that one.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 24th, 2024, 9:53 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
July 23rd, 2024, 7:08 pm
Anyone else think the race might be interesting again?
Wait...did something happen?

:happy-bouncyblue:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 24th, 2024, 10:02 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
July 24th, 2024, 8:59 am
She also brought up the DEI issue, which is infuriating to me.
This DEI shit is disgusting to me. Not just per Harris, but anyone who is either female or of color. It's yet another thin cloth cloak of racism. These people are so threatened by the fact that someone with breasts and non white skin has earned their way into positions of power and respect. Just like all of these movements, it's both hate and jealousy based. Hatred for those that are different, and jealous that they have a job earned by hard work instead of being handed to them through white privilege. See how that is flipped? "The job should be mine, because of who I am, yet it's hers because of work, so therefore I'm going to say she got it gifted and it's now stolen from me!"

Lost on those people is that Harris has provenly earned her way, as in every single job (aside from VP), she was elected. It took a collective of hundreds of thousands to "gift" her employment every stage of her career.
CrazyNotCrazie
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » July 25th, 2024, 8:04 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
July 24th, 2024, 8:59 am
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
July 24th, 2024, 7:29 am
ArkieDukie wrote:

Fair point. A FEMALE colleague told me yesterday that she doesn’t believe a female should run the country. She believes that only a male can project the power needed. My response was something along the lines of, “Trump is male and projects power. Would you prefer that?” The answer was no. She thinks this is a huge issue that will turn voters to Trump. She also brought up the DEI issue, which is infuriating to me.

I told her that most people who hold her line of thinking were never going to vote for anyone other than Trump. Most sane, moderate, undecided voters will vote for Harris over Trump because she is more qualified and more sane. I also believe that a strategic VP selection is huge - and I say that as someone who could not vote for McCain because of Palin. Not because she was female, but because she was awful in more ways than I can even list.

As for the whole DEI thing, I cannot wait for my avid Fox News viewing dad to mention that in my presence. I’ll ask questions about whether he thinks I only got my job because I’m female. I’ve had to deal with sexism for my entire career, so I can say with great confidence that I’ve had to work extra hard to prove my competence. That’s probably doubly or triply true for VP Harris. His favorite granddaughter is finishing her last year of vet school, certainly not a job someone in my dad’s generation would view as being suitable for a female. Actually, maybe I’ll lead with that one.
Great post. Thanks. I'm sorry you have to be around such ignorant people at work. Wow. I would have a lot of trouble biting my tongue and calling her a moron (and worse things). And good luck dealing with your dad. That has to be really hard.

Last night I had my now annual dinner with a group of guys I used to see more often - we were a group organized through our synagogue of "dad's with young kids" (our kids are now older) that met monthly pre-covid. Despite being a bunch of NYC Jews, who tend to skew very liberal, most of the group of about 10 is pretty Republican. However, the bulk of them are very moderate and strongly anti-Trump. However, one clown is very MAGA and likes to try to push my buttons (his wife works for News Corp.). He threw out his back so had to bail on dinner last night so it made for a much more pleasant evening. I have had a rough week and had no patience for him.

Totally agree with both of you on DEI. This is another excuse for them to avoid issues and appeal to the worst among them. Do you think Trump and his kids got into Penn because of their brilliance? It is funny that the Republican party seems to have proudly taken its spot as anti-establishment and the party of the less educated common man, yet now they are questioning intellectual merit? Trump is a blithering idiot. And one of their patriarchs, Clarence Thomas, is the poster child for DEI.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 25th, 2024, 9:27 am

Now that you mention it, Trump’s inheritance from Daddy is a great way to rebut any of the DEI nonsense. Trump inherited a lot (don’t know the exact amount) and squandered it. Multiple bankruptcies. He definitely didn’t get into Penn on his own merits, and several accounts say he did not do well there. So, yeah, bring on the DEI claims, MAGAland. I see the conversation now: “That’s an interesting question, and I want to hear your perspective. How do you define DEI?” “So, you’re saying you don’t like someone unqualified being chosen because they’re a minority? How about if they are rich?” :ymdevil:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 10th, 2024, 10:27 am

[url] https://x.com/sundaedivine/status/18216 ... GpDgnvQ3Lw [\url]
Funniest thing I’ve see. In a while.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 10th, 2024, 9:49 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
August 10th, 2024, 10:27 am
[url] https://x.com/sundaedivine/status/18216 ... GpDgnvQ3Lw [\url]
Funniest thing I’ve see. In a while.
=)) =))