Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: Car review wanted: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Post by DevilAlumna » October 16th, 2009, 12:09 am

Lavabe wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:I definitely agree that environmental concerns and using less gas (less dependence on foreign oil) are the main reasons behind a hybrid. I doubt I will ever make up the difference between a Camry and a Camry Hybrid in gas savings. I do enjoy getting 10-15mpg more in the hybrid than in the '95 Altima I replaced.
With me, it's the environmental concerns and using less gas. The Ford option also has me thinking American manufacturer for my first time.

Oddly enough, like DukieInKansas, this would be a replacement for my '95 Altima.
Huh, I hope to be replacing my 2000 Altima sometime in the next year. I'm looking at the Chevy Equinox - the new 2010 model with the 4-cylinder engine is reportedly getting 32 mpg on the freeway. My altima only gets 22 mpg.

It'd be the first American-brand car for me too (tho my Altima was built in Smyrna, Tennessee, so I have a hard time considering it to be "foreign.") But we have a 2007 Chevy Silverado, and that's turned out to be a very nice truck, quiet, nice interior finishing, etc., so I'm pretty positive on GM products these days.

Lavabe, have you found out yet, do you fit?
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 16th, 2009, 6:53 am

DevilAlumna wrote:Huh, I hope to be replacing my 2000 Altima sometime in the next year. I'm looking at the Chevy Equinox - the new 2010 model with the 4-cylinder engine is reportedly getting 32 mpg on the freeway. My altima only gets 22 mpg.

It'd be the first American-brand car for me too (tho my Altima was built in Smyrna, Tennessee, so I have a hard time considering it to be "foreign.") But we have a 2007 Chevy Silverado, and that's turned out to be a very nice truck, quiet, nice interior finishing, etc., so I'm pretty positive on GM products these days.

I've read the reviews that the previous posters gave (thanks folks!), and will try a regular Fusion, as per wilson's post. Will check it out this weekend.

Kind of hard to find the fusion hybrid!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » October 16th, 2009, 9:03 am

DevilAlumna wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:I definitely agree that environmental concerns and using less gas (less dependence on foreign oil) are the main reasons behind a hybrid. I doubt I will ever make up the difference between a Camry and a Camry Hybrid in gas savings. I do enjoy getting 10-15mpg more in the hybrid than in the '95 Altima I replaced.
With me, it's the environmental concerns and using less gas. The Ford option also has me thinking American manufacturer for my first time.

Oddly enough, like DukieInKansas, this would be a replacement for my '95 Altima.
Huh, I hope to be replacing my 2000 Altima sometime in the next year. I'm looking at the Chevy Equinox - the new 2010 model with the 4-cylinder engine is reportedly getting 32 mpg on the freeway. My altima only gets 22 mpg.

I'm interested in hearing whatever you have to say about the Equinox.... quality of ride, cargo space, etc.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 16th, 2009, 9:34 am

Lavabe wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote:Huh, I hope to be replacing my 2000 Altima sometime in the next year. I'm looking at the Chevy Equinox - the new 2010 model with the 4-cylinder engine is reportedly getting 32 mpg on the freeway. My altima only gets 22 mpg.

I've read the reviews that the previous posters gave (thanks folks!), and will try a regular Fusion, as per wilson's post. Will check it out this weekend.

Bet I could find you one in Raleigh...

Call me about an Accord before you buy a Fusion...
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » October 16th, 2009, 11:35 am

devildeac wrote:
Lavabe wrote:

I usually research to death the car purchase some 6-8 months in advance of actually purchasing. At the very least, it gets me focused enough in advance to start arranging the financing.

I won't be doing an Accord; now the Civic Hybrid, however, ... I've already tried fitting into one a year or so ago, and it worked out fine.

Hopefully they'll be some incentive before the end of the year. :-w
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 16th, 2009, 11:47 am

Lavabe wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Lavabe wrote:I've read the reviews that the previous posters gave (thanks folks!), and will try a regular Fusion, as per wilson's post. Will check it out this weekend.

I usually research to death the car purchase some 6-8 months in advance of actually purchasing. At the very least, it gets me focused enough in advance to start arranging the financing.

I won't be doing an Accord; now the Civic Hybrid, however, ... I've already tried fitting into one a year or so ago, and it worked out fine.

Hopefully they'll be some incentive before the end of the year. :-w
6-8 MONTHS! :twitch:

They'll be talking about 2011 models by that time. :roll:

For Hondas,there may be some year end incentives but they typically have their best ones after July 4 each year during Mr. Opportunity Days. I think sales have decreased significantly since the "clunkers" money disappeared so I'd expect to start seeing financing/rebate deals again soon.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » October 16th, 2009, 4:05 pm

devildeac wrote: 6-8 MONTHS! :twitch:

For Hondas,there may be some year end incentives but they typically have their best ones after July 4 each year during Mr. Opportunity Days. I think sales have decreased significantly since the "clunkers" money disappeared so I'd expect to start seeing financing/rebate deals again soon.
Maybe that's why we haven't bought a new car in ages. :-$

Just sat in a 2010 Fusion Hybrid today. No problems. Sweet car. Unfortunately, the price IS just over $31K. EEK!! %-( Also, it's about as American as Mercedes. Engine built in Japan; car assembled in Mexico.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 16th, 2009, 10:10 pm

Take a look at the Hyundai Sonata. I love mine and it is actually classified as a large car and not a midsize because of the interior room. And you can get them for much less than a Ford Fusion, with a much better warranty and better reliability. I have the V6 and get 27-28 mgp highway at 75 mph, 30+ at 62 mph (did it once for about 350 miles. Ugh.) Ride great, looks great. Great value.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 17th, 2009, 10:14 am

Mr. Opportunity Days.
Does anyone else think that sounds like "missed your opportunity days?"
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » October 17th, 2009, 11:51 am

I was happy to get slightly over 27 mpg for my trip down to Cincinnati from Boston. Most of the time was spent at 74-75 MPH. I don't think I would have gotten much better from a lower speed.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » October 17th, 2009, 11:52 am

The new Malibu looks like they took their styling cues from the Lexus GS line from a couple years ago.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » October 18th, 2009, 9:17 am

I think Carl Edwards was driving a Ford Fusion hybrid at Lowe's last night.

I am renting a ford Fusion for my drive up to New Jersey next weekend. Although I can see wilson's point about the Fusion being cramped, it's the kind of thing that I probably wouldn't feel unless I was in the car a while. Better to try it out on such a trip.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 18th, 2009, 9:55 am

Lavabe wrote:I think Carl Edwards was driving a Ford Fusion hybrid at Lowe's last night.

I am renting a ford Fusion for my drive up to New Jersey next weekend. Although I can see wilson's point about the Fusion being cramped, it's the kind of thing that I probably wouldn't feel unless I was in the car a while. Better to try it out on such a trip.
We did that with the Focus (a bit too small for more than 2 people/luggage) and Fusion (good size for 3 people and 3 suitcases and a buncha other "junk in the trunk"). The Focus got a bit over 30 MPG and the Fusion just under 30 MPG (6 cylinder). I think Enterprise rented us the Focus for about $20-21/day and the Fusion for $23-24/day for a long weekend special (Thurs. noon-Mon. noon). Not bad to put 1100 miles on someone else's car for $80-90 and get an extended test drive outta the car.

I'd still go to Brunchgate instead. :roll: ;) :D :)) =))
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » October 19th, 2009, 2:49 pm

Lavabe wrote:
devildeac wrote: 6-8 MONTHS! :twitch:

Maybe that's why we haven't bought a new car in ages. :-$

Just sat in a 2010 Fusion Hybrid today. No problems. Sweet car. Unfortunately, the price IS just over $31K. EEK!! %-( Also, it's about as American as Mercedes. Engine built in Japan; car assembled in Mexico.
Don't know your price range, but the Camry Hybrid was around that - but I didn't pay near that amount. Someone over yonder provided this link: http://truecar.com for pricing information. I found it helpful for pricing. I came in under the best price for my zip code on my vehicle and options.

eta - my timing must have been great - I just looked at the pricing info on Truecar again and I did even better now than I did in May. Now I'm smiling! :D
Life is good!