Wander
PW in training
PW in training

Re: Trump Vs Biden --- The Election Thread

Post by Wander » August 3rd, 2020, 9:16 am

dudog wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 7:36 am
How 'bout some good news?

University of Akron poll out this morning of registered voters has Joe +4 in Ohio.

Feeling a bit sorry for Jason OY, the prez thread has died. What a thankless job. I hope he joins us over here.
With Trump, the rules OY have the effect of normalizing and excusing really awful things, including sexual assault and racism. It just doesn't work with Trump. I feel bad for JE because I know they're not really his rules.

The polls are looking good, I'm just terrified that the double effects of Trump shenanigans and COVID might yield systematic inaccuracies in how polling translates to votes.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 3rd, 2020, 9:28 am

Wander wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 9:16 am

The polls are looking good, I'm just terrified that the double effects of Trump shenanigans and COVID might yield systematic inaccuracies in how polling translates to votes.
After 2016, I'm never trusting polls til the day after the election. :-s
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CrazyNotCrazie
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » August 3rd, 2020, 9:31 am

Wander wrote:
dudog wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 7:36 am
How 'bout some good news?

University of Akron poll out this morning of registered voters has Joe +4 in Ohio.

Feeling a bit sorry for Jason OY, the prez thread has died. What a thankless job. I hope he joins us over here.
With Trump, the rules OY have the effect of normalizing and excusing really awful things, including sexual assault and racism. It just doesn't work with Trump. I feel bad for JE because I know they're not really his rules.

Exactly. To me, Trump's lack of morals is the ultimate litmus test in this election, and not being able to discuss it makes most conversations pointless. I feel like everyone who votes for Trump, particularly evangelicals, should be required to go home and tell their spouses, children and particularly their religious leaders that they have just voted for someone who stands for racism, sexism, adultery, lying, cheating and selfishness. So if they attempt to claim that they believe in the opposite of these traits and tell their children to do so, they are being hypocrites.

This is not going to be a fair election. The Democrats are hopefully devoting vast resources towards making sure everything is as clean as possible. I loved the idea of the Atlanta Hawks opening up their arena as a voting place. Hopefully NBA teams in other major cities are doing the same thing. If the Bucks, Pistons, Cavs, Heat, Magic, Suns, T-Wolves, Hornets, Mavs, Spurs, and Rockets (I'm sure I'm missing some) also did this, it could make a huge difference. The risk of someone who is eligible to vote not being able to vote is a lot greater than the risk of someone who is not eligible to vote being able to vote (say that three times quickly!).
dudog

Post by dudog » August 3rd, 2020, 9:35 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 9:28 am
Wander wrote:

After 2016, I'm never trusting polls til the day after the election. :-s
As has been stated (here or OY), the polls were really only off in Wisconsin, and it was hard for them to account for the late Comey bombshell. Also, I think a lot of votes were decided on Election Day, where people were poised with their pen over the ballot and just said "Fuck it".
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 3rd, 2020, 10:07 am

Trump is threatening to sue the state of Nevada over mail in voting.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz
Furniture
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Furniture » August 3rd, 2020, 10:20 am

August 3rd, 2020, 9:01 am
Andrew Yang predicts that Biden "will clean his clock" when he gets on the debate stage with Trump. We don't know if that's true or not, but Yang does have the experience of being in debates with Joe. Never face to face to face, though. In fact, I'm not sure the two were ever on stage without at least 8 other people with them.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/andrew-y ... 27161.html
My expectations are low but that is probably the result of propaganda and a lack of Joe visibility. If he can go toe to toe I will be extremely happy.
If anyone ever tells you they are a stable genius. Get the hell out of there.
gumbomoop
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by gumbomoop » August 3rd, 2020, 11:18 am

[Wander wrote] —
I feel like everyone who votes for Trump, particularly evangelicals, should be required to go home and tell their spouses, children and particularly their religious leaders that they have just voted for someone who stands for racism, sexism, adultery, lying, cheating and selfishness. So if they attempt to claim that they believe in the opposite of these traits and tell their children to do so, they are being hypocrites.
I’ve no idea whether we’ll have a fair election or not. Pollsters claim to have corrected their methodologies to eliminate whatever errors occurred in 2016, so maybe/probably Biden’s in good shape right now. He’s leading, so it appears, because Trump is leaking support in 2 of his 3-part bases: white working class and come-home-to-Trump traditional Rs.

Is he losing support among the 3d part of his base, white evangelicals? I come from that tradition, left it long ago. I have been dismayed at their hypocrisy, their claim that “the Lord has chosen Trump to achieve great things for believers.” This claim, btw, is as often as not uttered by “religious leaders” themselves! My standard line for them is plagiarized from the wag who asked, “Remind me, which of the Beatitudes does Trump exemplify?”

I’ll keep an eye out for polls of white evangelicals, hoping to see some serious rethinking among them. If by chance any of you run across such polls, give us a link. Thanks.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 3rd, 2020, 11:46 am

And Trump is now going after Birx.
President Donald Trump criticized Dr. Deborah Birx in a Monday tweet after she warned the pandemic is "extraordinarily widespread" in the US.

While Trump and other top White House officials have publicly attacked Dr. Anthony Fauci, the tweet marked the first time Birx, the coordinator of the White House coronavirus task force, publicly drew Trump's ire.
"So Crazy Nancy Pelosi said horrible things about Dr. Deborah Birx, going after her because she was too positive on the very good job we are doing on combatting the China Virus, including Vaccines & Therapeutics. In order to counter Nancy, Deborah took the bait & hit us. Pathetic!" Trump wrote.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/03/politics ... index.html

He can't control himself to save his (political) life.

Also, Isaias is going to roll across Eastern NC as a cat 1 hurricane. That's not major, but it's going to cause damage, and we are already dealing with high numbers of Coronavirus cases. This is storm one, I am fairly certain there will be more. He is about to be put through a major test starting tomorrow as we see how we fared.
hml1959
I don't know what PWing is.

Post by hml1959 » August 3rd, 2020, 12:07 pm

gumbomoop wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 11:18 am

Is he losing support among the 3d part of his base, white evangelicals? I come from that tradition, left it long ago. I have been dismayed at their hypocrisy, their claim that “the Lord has chosen Trump to achieve great things for believers.” This claim, btw, is as often as not uttered by “religious leaders” themselves! My standard line for them is plagiarized from the wag who asked, “Remind me, which of the Beatitudes does Trump exemplify?”

I’ll keep an eye out for polls of white evangelicals, hoping to see some serious rethinking among them. If by chance any of you run across such polls, give us a link. Thanks.
Don't hold your breath. I think many if not most of the "evangelicals" are a lost cause, clinging to the "Lost Cause". I have no idea how any of this got caught up in Christianity, but I agree with Woody Allen who said "“If Jesus came back and saw what was being done in his name, he'd never stop throwing up.”
JWill Stan
PW in training
PW in training

Post by JWill Stan » August 3rd, 2020, 12:10 pm

Bravo (not sarcastic)

Detrumpify FTW
hml1959

Post by hml1959 » August 3rd, 2020, 12:14 pm

By the way, I am loving the detrumpify extension. Check out this beauty from cnn just now:

In late May, President Vain, Cancerous Tumor extended federal funding for National Guard deployments until mid-August, saying at the time the extension would help "states succeed in their response and recovery efforts."
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 3rd, 2020, 12:19 pm

hml1959 wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 12:14 pm
By the way, I am loving the detrumpify extension. Check out this beauty from cnn just now:

In late May, President Vain, Cancerous Tumor extended federal funding for National Guard deployments until mid-August, saying at the time the extension would help "states succeed in their response and recovery efforts."
:)) :)) :))
JWill Stan
PW in training
PW in training

Post by JWill Stan » August 3rd, 2020, 12:29 pm

hml1959 wrote:

You're welcome! :-BD
Detrumpify FTW
hml1959

Post by hml1959 » August 3rd, 2020, 2:33 pm

JWill Stan wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 12:29 pm
hml1959 wrote:

You're welcome! :-BD
Thanks much. It's the gift that keeps on giving: Here's a current CNN headline

Enraged, Bewigged Fetus Blown up to Nightmarish Size publicly criticizes Birx for the first time

Hysterical!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 3rd, 2020, 2:46 pm

Isaias is tracking west, which means that lots of urban areas are going to be hit. Like literally millions of people. It is moving quick, and won't lose much strength by the time it hits the northeast.

This is setting up to be a nightmare scenario for lots and lots of people, including Trump.

Reminding me of Fran right now.
hml1959

Post by hml1959 » August 3rd, 2020, 2:58 pm

August 3rd, 2020, 2:46 pm
Isaias is tracking west, which means that lots of urban areas are going to be hit. Like literally millions of people. It is moving quick, and won't lose much strength by the time it hits the northeast.

This is setting up to be a nightmare scenario for lots and lots of people, including Trump.

Well, except I don't think this storm has near the power of Fran. Fran was a badass. I remember my wife going to work in the ER that morning and she said there was nothing on the radio, AM or FM. Took us 10 days or so to get our power back on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 3rd, 2020, 3:01 pm

hml1959 wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 2:58 pm
August 3rd, 2020, 2:46 pm

Well, except I don't think this storm has near the power of Fran. Fran was a badass. I remember my wife going to work in the ER that morning and she said there was nothing on the radio, AM or FM. Took us 10 days or so to get our power back on.
Fran was not really that strong of a storm, it just took a track that nobody expected. It was supposed to go east, but stayed west, and was moving so fast that it was still near Cat 1 strength over the Triangle. This one is expected to be close to that same speed and status.

Edit...it came on shore near Cape Fear as a cat 2, but by time it hit RDU it was a low cat 1.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » August 3rd, 2020, 3:29 pm

August 3rd, 2020, 3:01 pm
Fran was not really that strong of a storm, it just took a track that nobody expected. It was supposed to go east, but stayed west, and was moving so fast that it was still near Cat 1 strength over the Triangle. This one is expected to be close to that same speed and status.

Edit...it came on shore near Cape Fear as a cat 2, but by time it hit RDU it was a low cat 1.
This one is still predicted to be ~65mph over some parts of the Triangle. Wake county is currently under a tropical storm warning, but Durham county is not. Still, any further westward wobble could make things a lot more "interesting" where I live. Right now, sustained winds here are still projected to stay 30mph and below. Knock on wood.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 3rd, 2020, 4:33 pm

Folks above talked about how Trump is at risk of losing some of his base, namely evangelicals.

He ain't havin' none of that!
Trump has suggested Democratic presidential candidate Biden and his party are "against the Bible" in a recent "tele-rally" with supporters in Pennsylvania.

"Essentially, they're against God if you look at what they're doing with religion," he said.

He did not expand further on how he felt they were against religion, but his comments reiterate similar combative lines he has used towards his political adversaries in recent days.
(But as y'all have mentioned, and this article highlights, he's seeing those religious supporters back off.)
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnbfcL

:YMPRAY: O:-)
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » August 3rd, 2020, 4:50 pm

August 3rd, 2020, 4:33 pm
Folks above talked about how Trump is at risk of losing some of his base, namely evangelicals.

He ain't havin' none of that!
Trump has suggested Democratic presidential candidate Biden and his party are "against the Bible" in a recent "tele-rally" with supporters in Pennsylvania.

"Essentially, they're against God if you look at what they're doing with religion," he said.

He did not expand further on how he felt they were against religion, but his comments reiterate similar combative lines he has used towards his political adversaries in recent days.
(But as y'all have mentioned, and this article highlights, he's seeing those religious supporters back off.)
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnbfcL

:YMPRAY: O:-)
Trump saying the Democrats are against the Bible is like Roy saying Coach K is against basketball players taking legitimate classes. Trump is the polar opposite of all values discussed in the Bible.