Erasing An External Hard Drive?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

colchar
PWing School Professor

Erasing An External Hard Drive?

Post by colchar » October 5th, 2010, 3:15 am

I'm trading some stuff I no longer use for some guitar equipment (effects pedals, etc.) and one of the things I am trading is an external hard drive that I no longer use. I've only ever used that for extra storage so I highly doubt there has ever been any kind of personal information stored on there but, before I make the trade, I just wanted to ask if deleting files from an external hard drive completely erases them or not? I would, obviously, want to ensure that nothing at all was left on there just to be on the safe side.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Re: Erasing An External Hard Drive?

Post by DukeUsul » October 5th, 2010, 8:48 am

colchar wrote:I'm trading some stuff I no longer use for some guitar equipment (effects pedals, etc.) and one of the things I am trading is an external hard drive that I no longer use. I've only ever used that for extra storage so I highly doubt there has ever been any kind of personal information stored on there but, before I make the trade, I just wanted to ask if deleting files from an external hard drive completely erases them or not? I would, obviously, want to ensure that nothing at all was left on there just to be on the safe side.
It doesn't, nor does a simple re-format. A "regular" person would not be able to recover them, but someone with a tiny bit of skill could recover your old files.

Here is an article on how to use a permanent file eraser.
http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/2006/0 ... t-rid.html
-- DukeUsul
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » October 5th, 2010, 11:51 am

Thanks. This was only ever used for storage, like a huge CD or floppy disc, but I will feel better having wiped it completely clean.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
bluebutton
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebutton » October 5th, 2010, 12:09 pm

My husband always uses one of those programs that DukeUsul listed to write 1s and 0s all over the disk several times. If you want to know which program exactly he uses, I can ask.

A good disk scrubbing and the peace of mind is always a nice thing.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » October 5th, 2010, 1:22 pm

I downloaded the free one and will use it later one once I've made sure there is nothing on that drive that I don't have copied elsewhere (that is going to be a long and tedious process). Hopefully it erases any trace of anything that was on there (mostly stuff for school anyway) and then I can trade it while having some piece of mind.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------