2009 NFL Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: 2009 NFL Thread

Post by Lavabe » October 18th, 2009, 10:11 am

DukeUsul wrote:ESPN FFL in this week's matchup preview, thinks that my opponent has an advantage over me with Jake Delhomme to my Drew Brees..... Ha ha ha ha ha ha :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
They're afraid that Brees won't do well against the Giants defense.

The Giants have a good defense.

But still. 8-}
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » October 18th, 2009, 1:40 pm

I know. But STILL! It's Delhomme. He should lose in a matchup against the waterboy....
-- DukeUsul
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 18th, 2009, 3:32 pm

Delhomme just threw his second of INT the game, this one for a TD. Have I mentioned that Delhomme sucks?
Delhomme, he sucks, he really, really sucks. X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X(
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » October 18th, 2009, 4:07 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Delhomme just threw his second of INT the game, this one for a TD. Have I mentioned that Delhomme sucks?
Delhomme, he sucks, he really, really sucks. X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X(
Meanwhile, Usul is smiling as the Saints are easily defeating the Giants.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » October 18th, 2009, 9:40 pm

Lavabe wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Delhomme just threw his second of INT the game, this one for a TD. Have I mentioned that Delhomme sucks?
Meanwhile, Usul is smiling as the Saints are easily defeating the Giants.
B-) B-) B-) B-) B-) B-) B-)
-- DukeUsul
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 19th, 2009, 12:51 am

Falcons 21, :bears: 14. That was possibly the most fun Falcons game I've ever attended. It's possible that I've heard the Georgia Dome louder than it was on the :bears: ' last series, but never louder. My ears are still ringing and my throat will not feel good in the morning. What a fun game.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 19th, 2009, 8:37 am

wilson wrote:Falcons 21, :bears: 14. That was possibly the most fun Falcons game I've ever attended. It's possible that I've heard the Georgia Dome louder than it was on the :bears: ' last series, but never louder. My ears are still ringing and my throat will not feel good in the morning. What a fun game.
I'm happy somebody got to use that damn :bears: smiley.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » October 19th, 2009, 8:40 am

wilson wrote:Falcons 21, :bears: 14. That was possibly the most fun Falcons game I've ever attended. It's possible that I've heard the Georgia Dome louder than it was on the :bears: ' last series, but never louder. My ears are still ringing and my throat will not feel good in the morning. What a fun game.
Kelly asked me "Why are you rooting for the Falcons?" I told her that I was cheering for you and the other ATL fans on the board. You guys really have a fun team to watch. Hope that Matt Ryan continues to excel.

Is it just me or does anyone get a little miffed whenever they see Cutler on camera? I wanna grab him by the neck and shake the gloom off his face.
sMiles
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 19th, 2009, 8:46 am

That's just the diabetes. His sugar gets low when he's playing.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » October 19th, 2009, 9:00 am

Any good stadium food?
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 19th, 2009, 10:03 am

Lavabe wrote:
Any good stadium food?
Just beer. Taco Mac (my favorite wings in Atlanta) and additional beer before that.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 19th, 2009, 11:15 am

Miles wrote:Kelly asked me "Why are you rooting for the Falcons?" I told her that I was cheering for you and the other ATL fans on the board. You guys really have a fun team to watch. Hope that Matt Ryan continues to excel.

Is it just me or does anyone get a little miffed whenever they see Cutler on camera? I wanna grab him by the neck and shake the gloom off his face.
Thanks, man! We appreciate the vibes.
And no, I don't really care much for Cutler, either. One of my buddies with whom I went to the game was really bemused by my smack-talking to the (far too numerous) :bears: fans in the house for having a QB who went to Vanderbilt. Ironic, he said, that a guy who went to Duke would disparage Vanderbilt that way.
"Safety school," I replied. :)) :-??
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 25th, 2009, 7:00 pm

Delhomme once again sucked today..but he had lots of help. Truly a team effort on today's loss. X(
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 25th, 2009, 7:04 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Delhomme once again sucked today..but he had lots of help. Truly a team effort on today's loss. X(
Wow...I posted that with just over a minute left. Delhomme found more time to suck some more, and threw his third int of the game after my post. Way to go!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 25th, 2009, 8:46 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Delhomme once again sucked today..but he had lots of help. Truly a team effort on today's loss. X(
Wow...I posted that with just over a minute left. Delhomme found more time to suck some more, and threw his third int of the game after my post. Way to go!
Delhomme more than sucked. He digested the game. YUK!! Not :eek: Thad Lewis is BETTER!!!
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » October 26th, 2009, 12:04 am

Well...was today the beginning of the end for Brett Favre and the Vikings (no lie, I started to write Packers there and had to correct myself)? For those who didn't watch the game, don't be fooled by Favre's numbers (300+ passing yards and a high completion percentage). The Steelers defense had two goals in mind: 1) shut down Adrian Peterson and 2) don't give up big passing plays. They succeeded on both front (Peterson's numbers were mostly in the passing game). But, in order to achieve those goals, they were willing to give Favre little dink and dunk passes all day. And he used those to pad stats.

The real story, of course, is that Favre had two fourth quarter turnovers that the Steelers ran back or TDs. On the first, he held the ball too long and got stripped. On the second he forced a screen that wasn't there and it was intercepted. You can't win on the road when you give up two defensive TDs. I'll admit I've been eagerly awaiting Favre's demise and, as a Steelers fan, this win was especially sweet. But, Favre fucked up today and cost his team a win. Perhaps it came down to the Steelers doing what most teams can't--stopping Peterson and forcing Brett to win games (which he can't do anymore). If that's the case, maybe the Vikings will be fine. But I'm not so sure. Favre looked 40 today and that's a bad sign for the Vikes.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 26th, 2009, 12:17 am

As a Steelers fan I was happy for the win, but it wasn't over 'til it was over. Not until that last INT for the score could I change the channel and watch the Panthers suck up a storm of suckiness. I'm pulling for Favre and the Vikings to do well this year, just not today.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 26th, 2009, 8:04 am

You want suckage in an NFL team....I give you the Tampa Bay Bucs...their level of sucking is so high the pirates union wants their ship back.

:ymsick: :ymsick: :ymsick: :ymsick:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Ben63

Post by Ben63 » October 26th, 2009, 12:06 pm

windsor wrote:You want suckage in an NFL team....I give you the Tampa Bay Bucs...their level of sucking is so high the pirates union wants their ship back.

:ymsick: :ymsick: :ymsick: :ymsick:

I can one up you with my Tennessee Titans. Only a Rams fan can top both of us...
Ben63

Post by Ben63 » October 26th, 2009, 12:16 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:Well...was today the beginning of the end for Brett Favre and the Vikings (no lie, I started to write Packers there and had to correct myself)? For those who didn't watch the game, don't be fooled by Favre's numbers (300+ passing yards and a high completion percentage). The Steelers defense had two goals in mind: 1) shut down Adrian Peterson and 2) don't give up big passing plays. They succeeded on both front (Peterson's numbers were mostly in the passing game). But, in order to achieve those goals, they were willing to give Favre little dink and dunk passes all day. And he used those to pad stats.

The real story, of course, is that Favre had two fourth quarter turnovers that the Steelers ran back or TDs. On the first, he held the ball too long and got stripped. On the second he forced a screen that wasn't there and it was intercepted. You can't win on the road when you give up two defensive TDs. I'll admit I've been eagerly awaiting Favre's demise and, as a Steelers fan, this win was especially sweet. But, Favre fucked up today and cost his team a win. Perhaps it came down to the Steelers doing what most teams can't--stopping Peterson and forcing Brett to win games (which he can't do anymore). If that's the case, maybe the Vikings will be fine. But I'm not so sure. Favre looked 40 today and that's a bad sign for the Vikes.
I disagree. Is Favre what he once was? Absolutely not. But I still think he is good enough to get the Vikings to the NFC Championship game. Yes the fumble was his fault, but it happens. Every quarterback fumbles here and there and the interception hit off Chester Taylor's hands. Absolutely must catch that ball. Favre drove his team down the field with great efficiency yesterday. I also think it was more about the Steelers going out and making plays to win the game than it was Favre giving it to them. Both of the Steelers returns were fantastic plays by not only the ball carrier but his teammates blocking. Woodley never scores with his train of blockers.

The biggest mistake the Vikings made was by the coaches. Brett Favre- 51 attempts, Adrian Peterson- 18 carrries. That is just plain unacceptable. I know Peterson wasn't getting much but it only takes one carry with him and he keeps the defense honest with his abilities even if he is struggling and not gaining alot of yards.

Overall I think Favre played fine and well enough to win. I still think the Vikings are the 2nd or 3rd best team in the NFC (behind Saints, tossup with Giants) and will make a deep run into the postseason.