LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Lavabe » June 16th, 2015, 11:28 am

YmoBeThere wrote:We need more cowbell!
Then go here:
http://www.cowbells.com/
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 16th, 2015, 12:55 pm

It's almost time to go visit my mama and Bob Green....

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/06/ode-upc ... restaurant
Iron Duke #1471997.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » June 16th, 2015, 3:24 pm

That's crazie!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 16th, 2015, 6:07 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:It's almost time to go visit my mama and Bob Green....

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/06/ode-upc ... restaurant

I want the chocolate bacon!
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » June 17th, 2015, 5:24 am

Congratulations to the Golden State Warriors !!!!! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 17th, 2015, 1:20 pm

Re: Class Action Lawsuits Seemingly High Attorney's Fees

Most people who belong to a class in a CAS couldn't afford the hourly rate an attorney charges to pursue the matter individually, so they join a class in order to join in the economy of the lawsuit. The attorney for the class has his or her fees approved by the presiding judge. There are a lot of expenses involved in litigation, including the cost of discovery, hiring investigators, taking depositions, hiring expert witnesses, travel fees, etc. which do not come under the umbrella of attorney compensation. So, just because an attorney's fee is called 60%, the attorney may not be taking 60% of the settlement as fee. In fact, much of that is going toward the costs of litigation.

Most contingent fee contracts in personal injury matters are divided such that the attorney gets a smaller percentage if a settlement is reached before filing suit (25%) a larger percentage after filing suit (33%) and an even larger percentage if the matter goes to trial (35%) and an even larger percentage if the matter goes on to appeal (40% or more). Our firm's contingent fee contracts specifically exclude the costs of litigation, including deposition charges, travel expenses, Federal Express and similar charges, large copying projects, service of process fees and messenger services, expert witness fees, private investigator fees and the like. Those fees are the responsibility of the client, win or lose.

Because most litigants couldn't afford those litigation expenses individually, it is easier for them to join a class. Sometimes the defendant's counsel approves the larger percentage of attorney's fees ahead of time. This is known as a "clear sailing" agreement.

I'd urge everyone to shop around on attorney's fees in any kind of legal matter, simply to get an idea of what is reasonable, given the complexity of the case, the skill and experience of counsel, and what the market demands.

Just my :twocents: .

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » June 18th, 2015, 5:01 am

Shooting last night at a church in Charleston SC, leaving nine dead and several wounded. Very very sad.
Prayers and vibes for the church, families and community. :wizard: :pray:
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 18th, 2015, 5:31 am

Very sad. :YMPRAY: :wizard:
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 18th, 2015, 6:41 am

CathyCA wrote:Re: Class Action Lawsuits Seemingly High Attorney's Fees

Most people who belong to a class in a CAS couldn't afford the hourly rate an attorney charges to pursue the matter individually, so they join a class in order to join in the economy of the lawsuit. The attorney for the class has his or her fees approved by the presiding judge. There are a lot of expenses involved in litigation, including the cost of discovery, hiring investigators, taking depositions, hiring expert witnesses, travel fees, etc. which do not come under the umbrella of attorney compensation. So, just because an attorney's fee is called 60%, the attorney may not be taking 60% of the settlement as fee. In fact, much of that is going toward the costs of litigation.

Most contingent fee contracts in personal injury matters are divided such that the attorney gets a smaller percentage if a settlement is reached before filing suit (25%) a larger percentage after filing suit (33%) and an even larger percentage if the matter goes to trial (35%) and an even larger percentage if the matter goes on to appeal (40% or more). Our firm's contingent fee contracts specifically exclude the costs of litigation, including deposition charges, travel expenses, Federal Express and similar charges, large copying projects, service of process fees and messenger services, expert witness fees, private investigator fees and the like. Those fees are the responsibility of the client, win or lose.

Because most litigants couldn't afford those litigation expenses individually, it is easier for them to join a class. Sometimes the defendant's counsel approves the larger percentage of attorney's fees ahead of time. This is known as a "clear sailing" agreement.

I'd urge everyone to shop around on attorney's fees in any kind of legal matter, simply to get an idea of what is reasonable, given the complexity of the case, the skill and experience of counsel, and what the market demands.

Just my :twocents: .

:9f:
Thanks for the advice, Cathy! It's really helpful and educational to get the lowdown from someone in the legal profession. It sounds as though people might underestimate the amount of work it takes to thoroughly prepare for trial. There are similar misconceptions for other professions.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 18th, 2015, 6:43 am

From the pictures I saw on the news this morning, it appears as though San Antonio was affected more than Galveston by Tropical Storm Bill. How are you doing, Ymo?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 18th, 2015, 6:44 am

I'm liking the Apple Watch so far, but they really need to do something about battery life. Seems a bit crazy that the battery in my watch doesn't last as long as the one in my iPhone 6+.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 18th, 2015, 6:54 am

As of Monday, Brilliant Grad Student is now Dr. BGS. No big surprise, she knocked the seminar (public part of PhD defense) out of the park. She will soon be off to bigger and better things.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 18th, 2015, 7:28 am

ArkieDukie wrote:As of Monday, Brilliant Grad Student is now Dr. BGS. No big surprise, she knocked the seminar (public part of PhD defense) out of the park. She will soon be off to bigger and better things.
Congratulations to Dr. BGS!
Life is good!
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 18th, 2015, 8:11 am

ArkieDukie wrote:From the pictures I saw on the news this morning, it appears as though San Antonio was affected more than Galveston by Tropical Storm Bill. How are you doing, Ymo?
Everything was east of the 10 and 281(N/S routes in the area). I got all of 30 seconds of rain at my place. However, at work last night, there was nearly 4 inches of rain in the hour prior to my departure.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » June 19th, 2015, 9:11 am

2 evenings of Thunderstorms, wind, flash flooding and lightning. Hope everyone is doing ok!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 19th, 2015, 9:45 am

Just saw on ESPN that Atlanta bought out Danny Ferry, all because of the scouting report he read on a conference call. What a bunch of idiots. I hope he lands elsewhere very quickly and builds a championship caliber team.
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 19th, 2015, 11:01 am

I guess I differ, no one is immune from stupidity and what happened met that threshold IMHO.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 19th, 2015, 11:31 am

YmoBeThere wrote:I guess I differ, no one is immune from stupidity and what happened met that threshold IMHO.
Maybe; you could be right. We don't know the context of the rest of the conversation.
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 19th, 2015, 7:47 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:I guess I differ, no one is immune from stupidity and what happened met that threshold IMHO.
Maybe; you could be right. We don't know the context of the rest of the conversation.
Which is why I've convicted him without a trial...
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » June 20th, 2015, 5:56 am

Happy Father's Day weekend