LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by bjornolf » July 4th, 2009, 1:59 pm

CathyCA wrote:Stupid lyric of the day: "I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free, and I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me."

where at least?
Being a good country girl, my wife jumped right in to defend the use of where with American, saying that it is a state of being, and therefore where is appropriate to use with it. Gotta love her.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 5th, 2009, 10:40 am

I only caught the tie-break, but Roddick choked; he had that set.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 5th, 2009, 10:41 am

bjornolf wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Stupid lyric of the day: "I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free, and I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me."

where at least?
Being a good country girl, my wife jumped right in to defend the use of where with American, saying that it is a state of being, and therefore where is appropriate to use with it. Gotta love her.

%%-
I think the qualm of the lyric is the "at least", not the "where".
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 5th, 2009, 10:54 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
bjornolf wrote:

where at least?

%%-
I think the qualm of the lyric is the "at least", not the "where".
My first qualm was "at least," but when I tried to diagram the sentence, the "where" part jumped out at me.

If "where" were correct, then the lyric should be "And I'm proud to be IN AMERICA where. . ."
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 5th, 2009, 12:46 pm

CathyCA wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: I think the qualm of the lyric is the "at least", not the "where".
My first qualm was "at least," but when I tried to diagram the sentence, the "where" part jumped out at me.

If "where" were correct, then the lyric should be "And I'm proud to be IN AMERICA where. . ."
I don't get the problem with the "at least" at all. "At least I know I'm free." In other words, even if everything else goes to hell, as an American, at least I know I'm still free. I had far more problem with the where, but my wife's explanation shows me that it's technically correct even if pretty awkward. Again, state of being, like "he's at a place in his life right now where he's pretty happy." It's not LITERALLY a place, but we still use where. Same thing with American. When interpreted as a state of being, it makes where perfectly acceptable in context. Like I said, I don't get the problem with the "at least" at all. He even explains it in the song, talking about how even if he lost everything and had to start all over, it'd be okay, cause he'd still be a free American.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » July 5th, 2009, 1:12 pm

Go Andy!
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 5th, 2009, 1:24 pm

Sue71 wrote:Go Andy!
Ditto! 15-14 Federer, down 0-30, get it back Andy!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 5th, 2009, 1:28 pm

Crapola, great match!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 5th, 2009, 1:32 pm

LOL @ Nike's commercial congratulating Federer on 15...
"Thanks alot for making us look SO AVERAGE!" --John McEnroe
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » July 5th, 2009, 1:41 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:LOL @ Nike's commercial congratulating Federer on 15...
And how about the one after it where he's lugging his trophies... that was funny.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 5th, 2009, 1:46 pm

Freekin' amazing Wimbledon men's finals. Sucks there had to be a loser.
I worship the Blue Devil!
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » July 5th, 2009, 10:20 pm

I lost my cell phone. Well, a kid's smartphone(Palm Centro) and there was stuff on it that I wish wasn't(nothing racy, no passwords, etc. buy my FF acct #'s and some of those only have 4 digit pins protecting them). Certainly not as traumatic as other's adventures recently but a bit upsetting to say the least.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » July 5th, 2009, 11:58 pm

Bummer, Ymo. Any chance your cell phone has a passcode? (It's a crackberry, I assume it has corp e-mail on it?)

Mine has a security code, mandated by work (because I have work e-mail/contacts on it), that if the code gets mistyped 5 times, everything gets wiped off the phone, including whatever's on the storage card, and hard resets to factory condition. If I mistype it 2 or 3 times, I start to get REALLLY careful. I can also wipe it remotely, by logging in to my web e-mail.
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » July 6th, 2009, 12:47 am

That really sucks, Ymo. Do you back it up on your computer by any chance? What about going into the FF accounts and changing the passcodes now (hopefully before anything happens)?
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » July 6th, 2009, 12:49 am

Any of you who have seen my FB status this evening know the following:

Apparently I will be tracking this week by where I have dinner. Last night was Yard House. Tonight was Cheesecake Factory. I had the hotel bring a mini-fridge up to my room for leftovers. :ymsmug:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » July 6th, 2009, 4:41 am

bjornolf wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: I think the qualm of the lyric is the "at least", not the "where".

I don't get the problem with the "at least" at all. "At least I know I'm free." In other words, even if everything else goes to hell, as an American, at least I know I'm still free. I had far more problem with the where, but my wife's explanation shows me that it's technically correct even if pretty awkward. Again, state of being, like "he's at a place in his life right now where he's pretty happy." It's not LITERALLY a place, but we still use where. Same thing with American. When interpreted as a state of being, it makes where perfectly acceptable in context. Like I said, I don't get the problem with the "at least" at all. He even explains it in the song, talking about how even if he lost everything and had to start all over, it'd be okay, cause he'd still be a free American.

%%-
I've been screaming to post since this subthread started up, but you know, this SPAMHAUS thing is really ridiculous. And now I have to go out to the field in a couple of days. X( X( :evil: ~x(

Hey look, y'all are forgetting the obvious problem with the song...

Lee Greenwood.

There. I've said it. I know, over yonder, they'd delete this post. I wouldn't be contributing anything.

We are not over yonder.

I can't stand the dude. As much as wilson trashes (and rightfully so) Fleetwood Mac, I can tolerate maybe 0.021 seconds of that Lee Greenwood song. Maybe it's the pomposity of our former school board, who played it instead of the SSBanner at a meeting I attended. Maybe it's that it was played so often during the 2000 Dubya election as a GOP standard that I associate the song with party politics. To me, it's just not a worthy patriotic song for all of us if it's THAT partisan.

FWIW, if you ARE going to replace the Banner with something else, I'm all up for a classy version of America the Beautiful (all the verses), or maybe even THIS LAND IS YOUR LAND. God Bless America is a GREAT standard to play. But I prefer the Banner. And leave out the Wild Bill Hagy O's.

DON'T do Lee Greenwood and DON'T do John Cougar Mellencamp (sorry, I can't get one of his stagenames out of my mind).

Don't give me sentence parsing, metaphorical states of being, or other excuses (such as, it's got a beat, I can dance to it)... the problem with the song is Lee Greenwood.

At least ask me where I really feel. :)) :))

Next play.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » July 6th, 2009, 4:45 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:LOL @ Nike's commercial congratulating Federer on 15...
The French Canal+ coverage had no commercials.

RATS... I wish I saw the Nike ad.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » July 6th, 2009, 6:29 am

DevilAlumna wrote:Bummer, Ymo. Any chance your cell phone has a passcode? (It's a crackberry, I assume it has corp e-mail on it?)

Mine has a security code, mandated by work (because I have work e-mail/contacts on it), that if the code gets mistyped 5 times, everything gets wiped off the phone, including whatever's on the storage card, and hard resets to factory condition. If I mistype it 2 or 3 times, I start to get REALLLY careful. I can also wipe it remotely, by logging in to my web e-mail.
No passcode enabled...duh. I always found it an inconvenience. The phone has been disabled so the damage is contained. Now to figure out what to do next.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » July 6th, 2009, 6:33 am

Sue71 wrote:That really sucks, Ymo. Do you back it up on your computer by any chance? What about going into the FF accounts and changing the passcodes now (hopefully before anything happens)?
They would have to guess the passcodes...but the ability to use anything other than a 4 digit code is unnerving. Everything is backed up, so from that standpoint I'm good.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 6th, 2009, 8:08 am

I hate after-holiday-Mondays. Bleah.