LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by captmojo » August 2nd, 2010, 8:07 am

ArkieDukie wrote: Thanks for expounding. Your reasoning seems pretty sound to me. I hadn't though about it this way at all until I read your post. I had been buying BP gas before the big spill and had stopped. You convinced me to go back.
It wasn't my intention to influence others to what I feel, but if it happens, so be it.
I'm only happy you have eliminated your parking woes of the past. :D :))
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 2nd, 2010, 8:11 am

captmojo wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
colchar wrote:I've reconsidered my previous post as I am not sure it is appropriate for either this thread or our little corner of cyberspace so if any of the mods feel it is appropriate to do so they are free to delete it entirely.
Meh,...as you said...got it off your chest..and it's in the LTE...it will be doomed to obscurity soon enough. :ymdevil:
And on a lighter note...you know, that long post could have been broken up into several that would have really padded your post count. ;) :D
How many words was that post?
If he had been in the devildeac school of pw-ing, he'd have crossed 5,000 by now. :D
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 2nd, 2010, 8:46 am

Big crowds here last PM and this AM.

Wonder why?

:whistle:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 2nd, 2010, 8:51 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
bjornolf wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:Nothing going on OY, and I can't find anyone who give reputation to. Everyone I can find from here I've given reputation to. X(
I'll be happy to give you some reputation over there. How do I do that?

Can you give me some? How do I check MY reputation?

@};-
Thanks, bjornolf. My name over there is merlindevildog91. If you see one of my posts, (and mostly I've been posting on the Rick Pitino gone in 15 seconds and Bob Huggins threads), at the bottom of the post in the left hand corner, you'll see a little box with a green smilie face and a red frownie face. Click on that and it will give you the option to approve of a post or disapprove of a post, and to make comment. Put a comment there, and click "add comment" and theoretically the person about whom you comment will get more reputation points. But if you try to give points to the same person again over some period of time, it says you can't give that person reputation points until you spread some reputation around.

To check your own points, click at the top right corner of the screen on "settings" and it will tell you how many reputation points you have, and give you the comments, though not the names of the commenters.
I gave you some rep. I apparently have 16 points, and I haven't posted but once there in the last couple months. Not sure what that means.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 2nd, 2010, 9:10 am

devildeac wrote:Big crowds here last PM and this AM.

Wonder why?

Somehow, I don't think it's related to the fact that Ozzie no longer posts GOOD MORNING over here. ;)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 2nd, 2010, 9:11 am

Lavabe wrote:

Wonder why?

Somehow, I don't think it's related to the fact that Ozzie no longer posts GOOD MORNING over here. ;)
Good morning! ~O)
=))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 2nd, 2010, 9:12 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Lavabe wrote:

Wonder why?

Good morning! ~O)
=))
Why am I not surprised?

:|
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 2nd, 2010, 9:13 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Lavabe wrote:

Wonder why?

Good morning! ~O)
=))
Good morning back at you!! ~O)
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 2nd, 2010, 9:29 am

Lavabe wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Big crowds here last PM and this AM.

Wonder why?

Good morning! ~O)
=))
Good morning back at you!! ~O)
Thank you sir. Have another ~O) on me!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 2nd, 2010, 10:08 am

colchar

Thanks for your post. I was only 11 when the Piper Alpha accident happened, so I never knew much about it. Thanks for your post on it, you've encouraged me to educate myself more about it.

Regarding why Americans care more about the Gulf of Mexico spill - recency and proximity. It's not surprising Americans care more about this spill considering it's current and is more proximate to where we live. It has a direct impact on the lives and livelihoods of Americans today. The Bhopal and Piper Alpha accidents occurred "long ago" and "far away" and I'm not surprised Americans aren't/weren't particularly up in arms over the deaths. It's sad and disappointing. But we as a country hardly bat an eye anymore over our own soldiers dying on a continent far away, it's not surprising that people don't care much about those who were lost in these accidents.

I honestly don't believe BP is getting raked through the muck any worse than an American company would just because they're nominally British. The Brits and Canadians are about as close as we have to siblings or cousins out there and I don't think Americans have nearly as much of a projection of "otherness" towards Brits as we do toward much of the rest of the world.

Exxon, nominally an American company, was hit pretty hard in the American media after the Valdez accident.

But I may be wrong.
-- DukeUsul
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » August 2nd, 2010, 11:17 am

DukeUsul wrote:colchar

Thanks for your post. I was only 11 when the Piper Alpha accident happened, so I never knew much about it. Thanks for your post on it, you've encouraged me to educate myself more about it.

Regarding why Americans care more about the Gulf of Mexico spill - recency and proximity. It's not surprising Americans care more about this spill considering it's current and is more proximate to where we live. It has a direct impact on the lives and livelihoods of Americans today. The Bhopal and Piper Alpha accidents occurred "long ago" and "far away" and I'm not surprised Americans aren't/weren't particularly up in arms over the deaths. It's sad and disappointing. But we as a country hardly bat an eye anymore over our own soldiers dying on a continent far away, it's not surprising that people don't care much about those who were lost in these accidents.

I honestly don't believe BP is getting raked through the muck any worse than an American company would just because they're nominally British. The Brits and Canadians are about as close as we have to siblings or cousins out there and I don't think Americans have nearly as much of a projection of "otherness" towards Brits as we do toward much of the rest of the world.

Exxon, nominally an American company, was hit pretty hard in the American media after the Valdez accident.

But I may be wrong.
Thanks for your original post colchar, I too will read up on the incidents and agree with DukeUsul.

I think it's also important to realize that BP has a very long and distinguished record of safety violations, some resulting in deaths of their employees. Nobody else even comes close to their level of irresponsibility.

BP also just went through a major rebranding of their entire company to convince the general public that they are a green, environmentally conscious company. The reality is that they never changed their operations or procedures, they only changed the logo.

I think they're getting what deserve.
sMiles
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 2nd, 2010, 11:30 pm

:auto-biker: :auto-camptrailer: :auto-car: :auto-crash: :auto-dirtbike: :auto-driving: :auto-iroc: :auto-layrubber: :auto-mysterymachine: :auto-nascar: :auto-sportbike: :auto-swerve:

;)
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 3rd, 2010, 12:08 am

CathyCA wrote::auto-biker: :auto-camptrailer: :auto-car: :auto-crash: :auto-dirtbike: :auto-driving: :auto-iroc: :auto-layrubber: :auto-mysterymachine: :auto-nascar: :auto-sportbike: :auto-swerve:

;)

Is that a reference to the drive by?
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 3rd, 2010, 12:14 am

colchar wrote:
CathyCA wrote::auto-biker: :auto-camptrailer: :auto-car: :auto-crash: :auto-dirtbike: :auto-driving: :auto-iroc: :auto-layrubber: :auto-mysterymachine: :auto-nascar: :auto-sportbike: :auto-swerve:

;)

Either that or all the gasoline powered vehicles burning/not burning BP products. :-$ 8-| :ymsmug:

:)) =))
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 3rd, 2010, 12:34 am

devildeac wrote:
colchar wrote:

;)

Either that or all the gasoline powered vehicles burning/not burning BP products. :-$ 8-| :ymsmug:

:)) =))

=)) =)) =))
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 3rd, 2010, 6:45 am

colchar wrote:

;)

Giggles.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 3rd, 2010, 7:21 am

I used to work for a Brazilian company and we had a fatality in our manufacturing plant here in the US. That marked a culture change, largely forced from the ground up. I was there for 4 years after the incident and our record was nearly spotless since then. However, what you tend to run into going from facility to facility is the "Not invented here" syndrome and the view that emphasizing safety somehow makes you less manly.

Is BP being overly "punished" in the news outlets, IMHO yes. Surprising to me, no.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 3rd, 2010, 7:54 am

It is an unfortunate fact of life that our media seems to thrive on sensationalism. Real news is sacrificed for time to report on stories designed to be inflammatory in some way or other. Either that or we get "celebrity" news. It's gotten so bad that I don't watch network news. And CNN is just as bad. Earlier this year I was waiting for my car at the dealership and was stuck watching nonstop coverage of the search for Paris Hilton's dog, which had been snatched by a mountain lion. Seriously. :-o There's a war in the Middle East, and all Headline News can find that's newsworthy is Paris Hilton's dog?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 3rd, 2010, 8:05 am

These are truly strange times. Currently online: Ozzie, me, and 2 guests. Devildeac is nowhere in sight. Yes, strange happenings are afoot. :-o :shifty:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 3rd, 2010, 8:13 am

Holy cow! Now it's CB&B, me and 3 guests! Still no devildeac! The predicted daytime high today is over 100! It's a sign! The end of times is upon us! :twitch: :shifty: ;) :D
-- Albert Einstein