LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by TillyGalore » June 21st, 2010, 10:38 am

CathyCA wrote:I'm getting a new water heater today!

The plumber has only made 10 visits on the warranty since New Year's Day. I finally convinced the warranty company that it was cheaper to install a new water heater than to pay the plumber to come out and make regular repairs. Of course, by now, the existing water heater is almost entirely rebuilt. . .

I'm also getting the guy to install a ceiling fan in my breakfast room today.
By convince, do you mean threatening legal action?

Yay, for the ceiling fan. I can't wait until mine is installed.
I worship the Blue Devil!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 21st, 2010, 10:54 am

TillyGalore wrote:

The plumber has only made 10 visits on the warranty since New Year's Day. I finally convinced the warranty company that it was cheaper to install a new water heater than to pay the plumber to come out and make regular repairs. Of course, by now, the existing water heater is almost entirely rebuilt. . .

I did not play the lawyer card. I used common sense: "How much money are you paying this guy to continue to REPAIR the water heater? Wouldn't it be cheaper to simply install a new water heater?"

And with the plumber, who, according to the terms of the warranty, must recommend that the water heater is completely broken before the warranty company will pay to install a new one, I asked, "How many times do you want to continue crawling around in my attic? Wouldn't you rather replace the water heater than continue to repair it? Tell the warranty company that I need a new one."

I may wind up with new clients when all is said and done. The guys at this maintenance company like me, and they'll need a lawyer sooner or later.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 21st, 2010, 10:59 am

CathyCA wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:

I did not play the lawyer card. I used common sense: "How much money are you paying this guy to continue to REPAIR the water heater? Wouldn't it be cheaper to simply install a new water heater?"

And with the plumber, who, according to the terms of the warranty, must recommend that the water heater is completely broken before the warranty company will pay to install a new one, I asked, "How many times do you want to continue crawling around in my attic? Wouldn't you rather replace the water heater than continue to repair it? Tell the warranty company that I need a new one."

I may wind up with new clients when all is said and done. The guys at this maintenance company like me, and they'll need a lawyer sooner or later.

Someone actually paid attention to common sense? Amazing.
Iron Duke #1471997.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 21st, 2010, 11:15 am

CathyCA wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:

From the warranty company's perspective, replacing the water heater is cheaper. But from the plumbers perspective, wouldn't he make more money by continuing to crawl through your attic to "repair" the water heater than to recommend a new one be installed?

Though I am glad he did recommend a new water heater. Taking cold showers is not fun.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 21st, 2010, 11:41 am

TillyGalore wrote:
From the warranty company's perspective, replacing the water heater is cheaper. But from the plumbers perspective, wouldn't he make more money by continuing to crawl through your attic to "repair" the water heater than to recommend a new one be installed?

Though I am glad he did recommend a new water heater. Taking cold showers is not fun.
Well, maybe, but he was only getting paid at the warranty company rate, not the higher rate he could charge me if we dealt with each other directly.

I haven't taken many cold showers. I get in the car and ride around the corner to my mom's house and shower over there. Still, it's been a pain to take a pirate bath in the mornings with water microwaved in Duke stadium cups.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 21st, 2010, 11:42 am

Sigh. I have an appointment with my dermatologist in an hour and this guy is now way near finishing.

I'm glad I can call my mom to come over here and sit while he finishes.

~ James Naismith
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » June 21st, 2010, 4:27 pm

CathyCA wrote:

But the plumber gets paid each and every time he repairs it so it might have made sense for him to keep going up there.

ETA: Now that I've read the rest of the page I see that someone beat me to the above post.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 21st, 2010, 5:12 pm

I dropped off the puppies at the Pet Barn. :( Our flight to Seattle leaves Greensboro at 6am tomorrow. :( :( :(
Iron Duke #1471997.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 21st, 2010, 5:34 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:I dropped off the puppies at the Pet Barn. :( Our flight to Seattle leaves Greensboro at 6am tomorrow. :( :( :(
When I was growing up we referred to kenneling the dogs, as going to the spa.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » June 21st, 2010, 5:38 pm

I'm not sure the plumber gets paid premium dollars on warranty repairs. In fact, there's a good possibility that the plumber is getting squadoosh. I'm not sure if the appliance/home service world is the same as computer hardware but there plenty of agreements between "authorized service providers" and the manufacturer they represent where the service provider doesn't get paid for the warranty work, they're only reimbursed for parts and handling.
sMiles
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » June 21st, 2010, 5:42 pm

I'm participating in a 70s style Hobie Cat regatta at camp this summer. I am SO pumped.
Class of 2014
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 21st, 2010, 5:54 pm

Rolvix wrote:I'm participating in a 70s style Hobie Cat regatta at camp this summer. I am SO pumped.
Rolvix, how was Haiti?
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 21st, 2010, 7:32 pm

Miles wrote:I'm not sure the plumber gets paid premium dollars on warranty repairs. In fact, there's a good possibility that the plumber is getting squadoosh. I'm not sure if the appliance/home service world is the same as computer hardware but there plenty of agreements between "authorized service providers" and the manufacturer they represent where the service provider doesn't get paid for the warranty work, they're only reimbursed for parts and handling.

:obscene-tolietclaw: The plumber gets $60 per visit, unless it's a visit to correct the previous repair, for which he gets zero/nada/zippy. He signed up for this warranty repair service as a way to make new client contacts. It's a marketing thing for him.

He made some money from his visit today. I paid him $125 to install my lovely new ceiling fan.

And I have a new water heater now!!!

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 21st, 2010, 7:56 pm

CRAAAAAP!!! I didn't get accepted into the Franklink Square summer show. Until I actually see the show hung I won't know whether to feel insulted or not. Judging is so weird, but I've entered enough shows now to know that rejection is part of the territory of the art world and I take it with a grain of salt. Unfortunatley if I see weak art hanging where I know mine could have been, then the grains of salt feel like they are sitting in an open wound. Oh well, there are more shows coming up that I'm entering, so I will keep you posted. Thanks to all for the good luck wishes, I'll save them for next time! :ymtongue:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 21st, 2010, 8:04 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:CRAAAAAP!!! I didn't get accepted into the Franklink Square summer show. Until I actually see the show hung I won't know whether to feel insulted or not. Judging is so weird, but I've entered enough shows now to know that rejection is part of the territory of the art world and I take it with a grain of salt. Unfortunatley if I see weak art hanging where I know mine could have been, then the grains of salt feel like they are sitting in an open wound. Oh well, there are more shows coming up that I'm entering, so I will keep you posted. Thanks to all for the good luck wishes, I'll save them for next time! :ymtongue:
:poo: That stinks.

~ James Naismith
DukePA

Post by DukePA » June 21st, 2010, 8:08 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:CRAAAAAP!!! I didn't get accepted into the Franklink Square summer show. Until I actually see the show hung I won't know whether to feel insulted or not. Judging is so weird, but I've entered enough shows now to know that rejection is part of the territory of the art world and I take it with a grain of salt. Unfortunatley if I see weak art hanging where I know mine could have been, then the grains of salt feel like they are sitting in an open wound. Oh well, there are more shows coming up that I'm entering, so I will keep you posted. Thanks to all for the good luck wishes, I'll save them for next time! :ymtongue:
Damn. Those old ladies better prepare for some mental shin kicks
DukePA

Post by DukePA » June 21st, 2010, 8:12 pm

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I ate dinner with DukePA and Stevo last night...we need to get that man to a Brunchgate. He's an awesome grill cook! Sooo tasty..and we had several brews to drink as well, the Ymm, beer inhabitants would have enjoyed the selection.
Only if we can get him properly attired.
:ymdevil: :duke: :9f:

:)) :)) =)) =))
I don't think we'll ever get him to a Brunchgate, but you guys are always welcome down here and he'll be glad to grill like a mad man. Also, CB&B is going to help us with our beer brewing. We are sooo excited!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 21st, 2010, 8:17 pm

DukePA wrote:
devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I ate dinner with DukePA and Stevo last night...we need to get that man to a Brunchgate. He's an awesome grill cook! Sooo tasty..and we had several brews to drink as well, the Ymm, beer inhabitants would have enjoyed the selection.
Only if we can get him properly attired.
:ymdevil: :duke: :9f:

:)) :)) =)) =))
I don't think we'll ever get him to a Brunchgate, but you guys are always welcome down here and he'll be glad to grill like a mad man. Also, CB&B is going to help us with our beer brewing. We are sooo excited!
As soon as you uncover your brewing stuff!
I think we need to brew a couple batches in preperation for the Official Oyster Roast (October 23rd). If we brewed the day that Wake is playing away (the 11th), we will have 4 cases of beer ready for the oysters. And we get to watch football while brewing. :D
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 21st, 2010, 8:38 pm

Oh, man! I am totally addicted to Family Feud on Facebook.

~ James Naismith
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » June 21st, 2010, 8:47 pm

I can't believe it made it this far without a...

Smart Ass Alert!

Does the ceiling fan use water? Heat water? Pour water? Water the breakfast room, perhaps? :-?

Seriously, I hope you have many hot showers, available at will, in your future and no more heater troubles.
Good negotiations. :-BD
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"