The Official "WWWD?" Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: The Official "WWWD?" Thread

Post by Lavabe » August 15th, 2011, 12:11 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Newest chapter:

PHB gave my memo to Andrew and to Office Manager to use as a template for their memos.

This morning my memo was back on my desk with a note to see PHB. His reasoning? My memo ISN'T ANGRY ENOUGH! X( :-o

I need to add paragraphs to the first portion of the manuscript to indicate just how angry I was at MP.

My theory on this one is that PHB wants to talk to MP next week and play good cop to Andrew's and my bad cop. "Well, I think you're a wonderful prosecutor. It's your coworkers that are throwing you under the bus."

Suggestions?
I really like the earlier mantra...
DON'T BE THE ASSHOLE!! :D
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 15th, 2011, 12:52 pm

PHB gave my memo to Andrew and to Office Manager to use as a template for their memos.

This morning my memo was back on my desk with a note to see PHB. His reasoning? My memo ISN'T ANGRY ENOUGH! X( :-o

I need to add paragraphs to the first portion of the manuscript to indicate just how angry I was at MP.

My theory on this one is that PHB wants to talk to MP next week and play good cop to Andrew's and my bad cop. "Well, I think you're a wonderful prosecutor. It's your coworkers that are throwing you under the bus."

Suggestions?
What you're really saying is he wants to make YOU the asshole. Tread lightly before you go there...
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 15th, 2011, 12:53 pm

Suggestions?
Do not take PHB's bait. Tell PHB that you are simply stating the facts, and they speak for themselves. (In legal terms: res ipsa loquitur. Do you think that PHB remembers anything from torts? ;) ) Tell him that life is too short for you to channel any anger toward MP.

Rise above the fray.

Can you believe that I, the snarky one L-) , am participating in the WWWD thread? I can't!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 15th, 2011, 12:55 pm

CathyCA wrote:

Suggestions?
Do not take PHB's bait. Tell PHB that you are simply stating the facts, and they speak for themselves. (In legal terms: res ipsa loquitur. Do you think that PHB remembers anything from torts? ;) ) Tell him that life is too short for you to channel any anger toward MP.

Rise above the fray.

Can you believe that I, the snarky one L-) , am participating in the WWWD thread? I can't!

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ :-BD :-BD :-BD
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 15th, 2011, 1:15 pm

I like CathyCA's answer. It's especially nice because of the proper (and, in this case, appropriate) use of legal jargon. It's unanimous that PHB is trying to make you the asshole, and I join the chorus in saying, "Don't go there."
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 15th, 2011, 2:03 pm

Do no play. Angry memos tend to have a long life, grow teeth and bite you in the ass down the road.....
Tell PHB that it isn't about you being angry or not angry...it is about MP being a responsbile professional. You're personal feelings are not relevant. How angry you are or are not does not change MPs actions (or lack of action) nor should they impact PHBs handling of them.

or

Do I look stupid? Find someone else to do the bus toss with asshole.

:D
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 15th, 2011, 4:01 pm

Thank you, everyone, for such sage advice.

I plan to amend my fine piece of writing only to turn it into a letter rather than its current memo form.

I also want to see coworker Andrew's screed about the case he inherited that was left in the same posture. I think he wrote an angry letter, and I wonder if he was told to tone his down, so that I would end up losing the "who's the asshole?" game if I blindly changed my tome.
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 15th, 2011, 4:58 pm

Andrew the coworker has gone out of town for a class.

I texted him (he's riding with an officer) to ask if he'd finished his letter to PHB. He texted back yes, and PHB sent it back with instructions to "say at the beginning I'm mad!"

CathyCA, I am impressed that the resident :character-jaws: , uh, snark, said to rise above the fray. (Res ipsa loquitur? Nice!)
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 22nd, 2011, 2:24 pm

Midget Prosecutor back today.

So far, crickets.

Coworker Andrew was told to make his mean letter not as mean, and to refrain from referring MP as "Mr. ______," Front Desk Shannon was told to write ANOTHER memo about something that MP didn't do before he left, which sounds to me like The Conversation will be put off a day or so.

I did change my memo to a letter, beginning with "Dear Bob" and putting it into first person from third, and signing it at the end. That was the extent of my change.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 22nd, 2011, 2:50 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Midget Prosecutor back today.

So far, crickets.

Coworker Andrew was told to make his mean letter not as mean, and to refrain from referring MP as "Mr. ______," Front Desk Shannon was told to write ANOTHER memo about something that MP didn't do before he left, which sounds to me like The Conversation will be put off a day or so.

I did change my memo to a letter, beginning with "Dear Bob" and putting it into first person from third, and signing it at the end. That was the extent of my change.
You see? Even PHB knows in his heart of hearts that these letters should not contain emotion. It's all about the facts. I'm glad you didn't make your letter (or memo) sound angry.

I can't wait to hear the outcome of PHB's eventual convo with MP.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 22nd, 2011, 4:04 pm

Crickets.

PHB has left to get some work done on his car. MP has been in his office the entire day with his door shut, no doubt reading out-of-town newspapers and doing no legitimate work. FD Shannon is working on her email to PHB.
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 23rd, 2011, 11:45 am

Still crickets. PHB told me about 15 minutes ago he was getting ready to have "the talk" with MP (so I would go talk to this nice victim about her dog being stolen and he wouldn't have to) and then about 3 minutes ago said he was going to put it off because it was just too hectic.

Don't know how long it is going to be put off. My best guess is forever....
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 23rd, 2011, 11:58 am

Here's hoping it happens later this afternoon or first thing in the morning.
Life is good!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 23rd, 2011, 4:59 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:Here's hoping it happens later this afternoon or first thing in the morning.
It did once MP came back from court.

Per Office Manager, he was defensive, and he wants a copy of everyone's statements.

Per PHB, he just bought himself a ticket to handle every misdemeanor case that comes through court, leaving the rest of us to handle the felonies, and giving him 4 days of court every week.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 23rd, 2011, 5:29 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:Here's hoping it happens later this afternoon or first thing in the morning.

Per Office Manager, he was defensive, and he wants a copy of everyone's statements.

Per PHB, he just bought himself a ticket to handle every misdemeanor case that comes through court, leaving the rest of us to handle the felonies, and giving him 4 days of court every week.
Oh dear! This could disable the poor man altogether! :))

I apologize. I should have inquired first whether he was injured during any of the earthquake tremors this afternoon.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 23rd, 2011, 6:20 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:

I hope that is a good solution from your perspective. However, will that mean we don't get any more "one legged man kicking his neighbor stories"?
Life is good!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 23rd, 2011, 10:31 pm

He never felt the earthquake. Too busy talking, no doubt.

I never thought about losing out on the best stories. Oh well.
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 24th, 2011, 11:15 am

I received a phone call this morning from a colleague, telling me that my boss delegated a big report to me. No word of this from my boss. I'm really getting sick and tired of finding out second- and third-hand that there's something I'm supposed to be doing. Am I wrong to be annoyed by this?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » August 24th, 2011, 12:40 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I received a phone call this morning from a colleague, telling me that my boss delegated a big report to me. No word of this from my boss. I'm really getting sick and tired of finding out second- and third-hand that there's something I'm supposed to be doing. Am I wrong to be annoyed by this?
No, you aren't wrong to be annoyed. The boss should be telling you directly.
Life is good!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 24th, 2011, 1:19 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I received a phone call this morning from a colleague, telling me that my boss delegated a big report to me. No word of this from my boss. I'm really getting sick and tired of finding out second- and third-hand that there's something I'm supposed to be doing. Am I wrong to be annoyed by this?
No, you aren't wrong to be annoyed. The boss should be telling you directly.
Exactly.
Iron Duke #1471997.