LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Bostondevil » November 7th, 2009, 12:57 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote: WOW! that makes absolute sense. Why didn't I ever think of that? It would keep the filling from getting all runny and making the crust soggy, right? Super. This old dog is gonna try this new trick tomorrow!!!
Love, Ima
PS Anybody who doesn't make crust from scratch isn't giving his/her pie a fighting chance at greatness!
Bingo! My apple pies are not runny.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » November 7th, 2009, 1:05 am

DukieInKansas wrote: Will you teach me how to make a pie crust the next time I come to visit? I confess to using the Pillsbury All Ready crusts.
Pie crusts = not hard! The only thing is you have to make them ahead of time. One hour's worth of chill time is not enough, overnight is much better. Then you need to give it at least 10 minutes at room temperature before you try to roll it out.

Flour, butter, salt, an egg, some vinegar (I prefer cider vinegar), shortening (or lard although I use the Crisco), cut the stuff together with a pastry cutter until coarse, not until fine, gather up into a ball and chill overnight.

Oh, and to give your apple pie that little something extra, brush heavy cream on the top crust and sprinkle a little sugar over it before baking.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » November 7th, 2009, 1:44 am

I love Anchorman.
I love Brick Tamland.
I love lamp.
Yes, I really love lamp.
Class of 2014
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » November 7th, 2009, 5:59 am

Bostondevil wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote: Will you teach me how to make a pie crust the next time I come to visit? I confess to using the Pillsbury All Ready crusts.
Pie crusts = not hard! The only thing is you have to make them ahead of time. One hour's worth of chill time is not enough, overnight is much better. Then you need to give it at least 10 minutes at room temperature before you try to roll it out.

Flour, butter, salt, an egg, some vinegar (I prefer cider vinegar), shortening (or lard although I use the Crisco), cut the stuff together with a pastry cutter until coarse, not until fine, gather up into a ball and chill overnight.

Oh, and to give your apple pie that little something extra, brush heavy cream on the top crust and sprinkle a little sugar over it before baking.
Given my cholesterol issues, I'll skip the heavy cream, and avoid the lard (I'll use the Crisco as well). On the sugar, we leave vanilla beans in our sugar container, thus infusing vanilla flavor in the sugar. It adds an extra flavor when it comes to the topping.

Courtlands make a LOT of sense. Unfortunately, I can't get them here. Other than Rome or GrannySmith, what others might work well?

Crumble or pie crust top? I grew up with crumble.

On the other hand, on Food Network last night, they had a pie competition. Somebody entered an apple pie baked with RED DELICIOUS. :-? :-o
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » November 7th, 2009, 7:22 am

There used to be thousands of different apple varieties. Well, many more than today. It was an example of the growing lack of biodiversity at one of the TED conferences.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » November 7th, 2009, 8:04 am

I read a recipe on the Food Network's website and in the comments section someone mentioned using a variety of apples. When I made my first pie a few weeks back I used Granny Smiths and Honey Crisps, that what I had in the house.

DinK, I use the premade crusts too. Though may try making my own crust as apple pie with a homemade crust does rock.
I worship the Blue Devil!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 7th, 2009, 8:49 am

Lavabe wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:DD is at 3999, so he will want 4000 to be well thought out. In the mean time, ya outta provoke him with everything you have. :)) :ymdevil:
Schlafly Pumpkin Ale... not as good this year. :-$
Good to hear that from an expert. I didn't particularly like it.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 7th, 2009, 8:51 am

Lavabe wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Congratulations to Bones for a good morning of going postal on the LTE. ;)

Hmm... any news on the Danica watch?
Thanks, just following in your footsteps! What an impressive run for you! Next Weekend, GA Tech and Lavabe coming to town!!!!! :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd
Not sure if we'll be able to make it. I think when we add it up, we have 4 or 5 doctor's appointments this week, and I've been SLAMMED at work. We'll see, but a trip to Brunchgate is NOT a sure thing just yet.
Cheers,
Lavabe
Is there going to be a trip to St. Louis? There's lots of beer in my fridge.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 7th, 2009, 8:53 am

Bostondevil wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:I should post this in the talent thread. But I'm not.

Damn, I make a good apple pie.

I'm eating a piece right now. Please excuse my ego but as Dizzy Dean said, "It ain't bragging if you can back it up."
What kind(s) of apples?
Lavabe, really, it's not the recipe so much as the cook. :ymdevil: :p :-j (*)

And I make my own crusts.

Courtlands. The key to an excellent apple pie is to saute the sliced apples in butter (plus a little sugar) until tender, let them cool completely, toss them with a little flour and cinnamon, THEN put them in the crust to bake.
I never would've thought of doing it this way. Thanks, Bostondevil! I'll have to try this next time I make an apple pie or apple crisp.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 7th, 2009, 8:59 am

Bostondevil wrote:

My grandmother, who made some pretty phenomenal pies, used lard in her pie crusts. I've never heard of using vinegar in the crust and am intrigued. What does that do? I've always just used water. My trick, on the rare occasions when I make pie crust, is to combine everything except the water in a food processor and process until crumbly. I then add water VERY slowly until the mixture forms a ball. Doesn't take much. You definitely need to chill the dough for easier handling. Over-working makes for a tough pie crust.
-- Albert Einstein
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » November 7th, 2009, 9:03 am

Other decent pie-baking apples

Golden delicious
Royal Gala
Macoun

Yes, you can bake with MacIntoshes, but they are much better for eating.

You can also mix varieties. I'm not sure I'd want a whole pie made with Empires, but I wouldn't be adverse to mixing them in with another type. You need about 7 large apples or 10 medium sized apples for a pie.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » November 7th, 2009, 9:05 am

Hmmm, maybe vinegar is the secret to my pie crust. It's just a touch. I've always used it though. I have no idea what it does. I put water in there too.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » November 7th, 2009, 9:20 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:
WOW! that makes absolute sense. Why didn't I ever think of that? It would keep the filling from getting all runny and making the crust soggy, right? Super. This old dog is gonna try this new trick tomorrow!!!
Love, Ima
PS Anybody who doesn't make crust from scratch isn't giving his/her pie a fighting chance at greatness!
I have to disagree there. I've found that the refrigerated pillsbury crusts that come rolled up in a box are as good as any I've ever been able to make, and they're a million times easier.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » November 7th, 2009, 9:22 am

Bostondevil wrote:Other decent pie-baking apples

Golden delicious
Royal Gala
Macoun

You can also mix varieties. I'm not sure I'd want a whole pie made with Empires, but I wouldn't be adverse to mixing them in with another type. You need about 7 large apples or 10 medium sized apples for a pie.
Are those tart apples? I like the tart ones for pie, so I usually just use granny smith. The mix idea sounds good though.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 7th, 2009, 10:43 am

umm. i want some apple pie..i just need to find someone willing to make me one. :D
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 7th, 2009, 10:45 am

Go To Hell carolina,
Go To Hell!

Go To Hell carolina,
Go To Hell!

Go To Hell carolina,
Go To Hell!

Go To Hell carolina,
Go To Hell!

Go To Hell carolina,
Go To Hell!

(repeat ad nauseum!)
9F, baby, 9F!

Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 7th, 2009, 10:56 am

gthc x 10000! :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » November 7th, 2009, 11:09 am

bjornolf wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:Other decent pie-baking apples

Golden delicious
Royal Gala
Macoun

Are those tart apples? I like the tart ones for pie, so I usually just use granny smith. The mix idea sounds good though.

%%-
The Macouns are great snacking apples (just had a few a couple of weeks ago when I went to the orchard in my hometown in Jersey). They're derived from Macs and Jersey Blacks (an old variety).

The Cortlands that you're baking with are also derived from McIntoshes (bred with the Ben Davis).

I'm seeing a pattern here, BD. Go with a sweet McIntosh/McIntosh derived apple.

As for the vinegar, thanks to the miracle of google:
"Why add vinegar to your pie crust dough?
When flour is mixed with water, gluten is formed--these are the protein strands that are necessary in yeast bread making, etc. When making quick breads the mixture is only mixed until blended--never overmixed--so that too much gluten is not formed. The vinegar is used in your pie crust recipe because the acid (along with the shortening) keeps the gluten strands from getting too long--thus resulting in a tender, flaky product."

(from: http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm ... Pastry.cfm)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » November 7th, 2009, 2:16 pm

'68 Firebird now parked next to my garage...
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » November 7th, 2009, 4:02 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:'68 Firebird now parked next to my garage...
Why isn't it in the garage? Congrats on the new wheels.
Life is good!