Navy expected 2 Fire Captain over Videos

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Navy expected 2 Fire Captain over Videos

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » January 4th, 2011, 12:11 pm

I have seen this on the news. I dont even know what to think. Seems like the Captain, was just trying to boost moral on the seas, for his crew. Why does everything have to be so overrated these days? Cant anyone, just have fun, anymore?

WASHINGTON—The Navy is expected to remove the commander of the USS Enterprise from his post after bawdy videos in which he denigrated gays and made other vulgar references became public, a defense official said.

The Navy announced it was investigating Capt. Owen Honors, the Enterprise commander, after a newspaper published excerpts of videos he recorded in 2006 and 2007. In the videos, which were broadcast over the ship's television system, he simulates masturbation, jokes about women taking showers and uses offensive terms for gays.

Commander Chris Sims, a spokesman for Navy Fleet Forces, said "no decision has been made" on whether to discipline Capt. Honors or temporarily relieve him of duty. But the defense official said it was all but final that Capt. Honors would be relieved of command as early as Tuesday, and that the Navy will continue its investigation of the videos.

After viewing the videos on Sunday and Monday, top Navy officials quickly lost confidence in Capt. Honors, officials said. The Navy has a tradition of acting quickly to remove commanders after a mishap or after top officials lose confidence in the officer.

The quick action also demonstrates the military is under pressure to show that it will not tolerate slurs against the sexual orientation of service members after last month's congressional repeal of the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" law that barred gays from serving openly in the military. The ban on gay service members will end after top Defense Department officials certify it can be lifted without harming military readiness.

Capt. Honors was the executive officer, the second in command, of the USS Enterprise when he took a starring role in the videos, which were shown on the ship's closed-circuit television system during deployments. In May, he was named the commander of the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, which is due to deploy again in the coming weeks.

In one video, Capt. Honors uses a derogatory term for gays and jokingly acknowledges the skits are likely to offend some sailors. "This evening, all of you bleeding hearts ... why don't you just go ahead and hug yourselves for the next 20 minutes or so, because there's a really good chance you're gonna be offended," he said.

Producing skits and follies while a ship is on a deployment is part of a Navy tradition. Coarse language is not uncommon in such productions, which are made, after all, by sailors, a group known for salty verbiage. While some such skits may be of questionable taste, the productions are usually meant for small groups and are not recorded or broadcast across an entire ship.

Showing the videos over the ship's television system, where it would be seen by everyone aboard the vessel, including religious chaplains, showed extremely poor judgment, officials said.

More importantly, the officials said the offensive language and simulated masturbation in Capt. Honors's videos were clearly unacceptable in the modern Navy, even if they had been shown in a private setting.

The videos were first disclosed by the Virginian-Pilot, which reported that Capt. Honors showed videos on a weekly basis to entertain crew members. The decision to relieve Capt. Honors of command was first reported by NBC News Monday.

It is not clear whether the investigation of the videos by the Navy's Fleet Forces command will delay the Enterprise's departure.

The Navy has referred all inquiries about the matter to Commander Sims, the Navy spokesman. In a statement he said the videos are "clearly inappropriate."

"Those in command ... are charged to lead by example and are held accountable for setting the proper tone and upholding the standards of honor, courage and commitment that we expect sailors to exemplify," he said.

Copyright 2010 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved
This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. Distribution and use of this material are governed by our Subscriber Agreement and by copyright law. For non-personal use or to order multiple copies, please contact Dow Jones Reprints at 1-800-843-0008 or visit
www.djreprints.com
More In Media & Marketing EmailPrinter FriendlyOrder ReprintsShare: facebook
Twitter
Digg
StumbleUpon
Viadeo
Orkut
Yahoo! Buzz
Fark
Reddit
LinkedIn
del.icio.us
MySp
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Navy expected 2 Fire Captain over Videos

Post by devildeac » January 4th, 2011, 12:36 pm

Hope %$#@*&^ Bob Green reads this &^%$#&* thread. I'd be curious what the *&^% he thought about the "(*&^%$ language contained in that @(*!&^% video, considering he retired from the *&^%$%^# US Navy several years ago. He might have some personal experience/stories to share about some of the ^&*% that goes on when they are out to sea or in port. :D ;)
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » January 4th, 2011, 12:46 pm

My first read of the title of this thread had me imagining that captmojo had gotten in some serious trouble.
#:-s
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 4th, 2011, 1:14 pm

He's a pig.

I'm glad they removed him from his command.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » January 4th, 2011, 1:27 pm

Grown men should never play with their seamen. :)

-EJ
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
gadzooks
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by gadzooks » January 4th, 2011, 7:59 pm

There's a vast difference between sailors talking shit and telling dirty jokes with their buddies, and an officer in a leadership position making off-color videos to show to the entire crew. It isn't about political correctness, just a sense of what is and isn't appropriate for public consumption. And I say this as a former sailor who used (and still uses) plenty of salty language, but I would have been *very* shocked to see the XO of my ship showing a video such as those. It shows really poor judgment, IMO.

Here's what I think is a great example of a morale-boosting video that doesn't use any swear words, slurs against any group, sexual innuendo, etc.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3q9s-1KLsk Those kids are having a great time and making light of the drudge work you have to do every day on a ship, without it being anything that would land you in the headlines. (And before anyone starts a hijack about whether you enjoy rap music or not, the musical style is not the point of the link.)
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » January 6th, 2011, 8:02 pm

Lavabe wrote:My first read of the title of this thread had me imagining that captmojo had gotten in some serious trouble.
#:-s
This would be news? :-o
Hell man, I stay in trouble. It should be my middle name. ;)
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"