Dear Carolina

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Dear Carolina

Post by lawgrad91 » December 18th, 2010, 6:21 pm

You can't beat Rick Barnes in Greensboro? With Karl Hess on your side? Really?

Prince Harry hit a big 3 to tie the game, but then a UT freshman hit an even bigger shot (albeit a 2). Maybe he should be ROTW.
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 18th, 2010, 6:31 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:You can't beat Rick Barnes in Greensboro? With Karl Hess on your side? Really?

Prince Harry hit a big 3 to tie the game, but then a UT freshman hit an even bigger shot (albeit a 2). Maybe he should be ROTW.
:ymdevil: :tools-spork:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 18th, 2010, 6:54 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:You can't beat Rick Barnes in Greensboro? With Karl Hess on your side? Really?

:D
:9f:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » December 18th, 2010, 11:26 pm

L-) B-) :tease: :Clap: \:d/ :D ;;) :p
Love, :-* Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » December 19th, 2010, 7:47 am

...and Duke gets all the calls? I'm not too sure I've ever seen so many uncalled fouls on a group o'holes.
The Horns were still able to rise above this neutral home cookin'. Praise Jebus and :9f:
:happy-bouncyblue: :ymcowboy: :happy-bouncyblue:
Once more... :9f:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » December 19th, 2010, 11:32 am

http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/201 ... ACC_Sports

Harrison Barnes post game comments:
"I feel like right now, this team can play with anyone in the country," Barnes said. "If we play like we know we can, if we play offense and dig down on defense like ourselves, I feel like we can hang with anyone in the country."
Yo Harrison, Carolina is 7-4 and 1-4 in games against teams that are not patsies. I'm not sure Carolina can hang with any Top 50 team right now. A player on a team that gives up 91 points to LBSU shouldn't us the phrase "dig down on defense." The Heels play William & Mary and then have a neutral site contest with Rutgers. Barnes and company had better focus on the Here and Now or they might lose another OOC game in 2010.

In the spirit of full disclosure and fair play, Carolina played very good at times yesterday. I watched the entire game and Dexter Strickland was impressive. However, Ty Zeller is the key. Carolina is dysfunctional with Zeller on the bench. John Henson, the master of the 8 foot jump hook 10 feet from the basket, displayed a new move yesterday, a 12 foot jump hook 10 feet from the basket on the baseline - air ball!

At this point, I do not see Carolina matching up well with Duke. Our perimeter guys will hound the ball and force a lot of turnovers, while Plumlee, Plumlee and Kelly team up to try and get Zeller in foul trouble. Justin Knox plays okay at times but we can go small and Singler will shut'em down. Carolina is weak on defense so Dawkins and Curry will be able to bomb away from the bonusphere. Lots of basketball between now and the first Carolina game but the Heels will have to improve dramatically or we will win by double digits in Cameron.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 19th, 2010, 1:37 pm

Bob Green wrote:http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/201 ... ACC_Sports

"I feel like right now, this team can play with anyone in the country," Barnes said. "If we play like we know we can, if we play offense and dig down on defense like ourselves, I feel like we can hang with anyone in the country."
Yo Harrison, Carolina is 7-4 and 1-4 in games against teams that are not patsies. I'm not sure Carolina can hang with any Top 50 team right now. A player on a team that gives up 91 points to LBSU shouldn't us the phrase "dig down on defense." The Heels play William & Mary and then have a neutral site contest with Rutgers. Barnes and company had better focus on the Here and Now or they might lose another OOC game in 2010.

In the spirit of full disclosure and fair play, Carolina played very good at times yesterday. I watched the entire game and Dexter Strickland was impressive. However, Ty Zeller is the key. Carolina is dysfunctional with Zeller on the bench. John Henson, the master of the 8 foot jump hook 10 feet from the basket, displayed a new move yesterday, a 12 foot jump hook 10 feet from the basket on the baseline - air ball!

At this point, I do not see Carolina matching up well with Duke. Our perimeter guys will hound the ball and force a lot of turnovers, while Plumlee, Plumlee and Kelly team up to try and get Zeller in foul trouble. Justin Knox plays okay at times but we can go small and Singler will shut'em down. Carolina is weak on defense so Dawkins and Curry will be able to bomb away from the bonusphere. Lots of basketball between now and the first Carolina game but the Heels will have to improve dramatically or we will win by double digits in Cameron.
Good stuff, Bob. =)) at "8 foot jump hook 10 feet from the basket." At least now, he has extended his range with the "10 foot jump hook 12 feet from the basket." :laughing-rofl:
captmojo

Post by captmojo » December 19th, 2010, 2:02 pm

Another good assessment.
My feelings are that they show they can run with anybody, but play? I beg to differ. They have a definite lacking at the point guard position. Oh, they have a guy, but he doesn't know how to do it. What I mean, is that he can't control the traffic flow in the half-court. Beat them down the floor and stay in proper defensive placement, they'd lose to damn near anybody. Especially if they display as much lack of player movement in their offensive sets as they do at present.

I expect them to improve as the year progresses but so will everyone else. Their losses won't be what they were a year ago. They could very well be worse if they don't learn and develop their defense...or never find one.

This couldn't happen to a better bunch. :9f:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 19th, 2010, 4:04 pm

Great assessment, Bob. Thanks!

I would LOVE to see Bill & Mary beat the heck out of the heels as payback for the first round NIT game that was giftwrapped and presented to the heels on a silver platter. And, well, just because it would be another loss for the boys in gack blue. :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Jesus_hurley
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Jesus_hurley » December 20th, 2010, 1:49 pm

We caught the end of the game at the Outback on the Durham-CH border. Tons of 'Holes in the bar area. I didn't make any friends by cheering for Texas. :D

:9f: :9f:
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » December 20th, 2010, 1:53 pm

devildeac wrote:

Good stuff, Bob. =)) at "8 foot jump hook 10 feet from the basket." At least now, he has extended his range with the "10 foot jump hook 12 feet from the basket." :laughing-rofl:
I also really like his 13 foot free throw attempts. Billy King was a better free throw shooter then Henson is.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 20th, 2010, 2:58 pm

Jesus_hurley wrote:
devildeac wrote:Good stuff, Bob. =)) at "8 foot jump hook 10 feet from the basket." At least now, he has extended his range with the "10 foot jump hook 12 feet from the basket." :laughing-rofl:
I also really like his 13 foot free throw attempts. Billy King was a better free throw shooter then Henson is.

Just wait. He'll make 10/10 when they play us and shoot 8/12 from the field and have 1 PF called on him.
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » December 20th, 2010, 3:06 pm

devildeac wrote:
Jesus_hurley wrote:
devildeac wrote:Good stuff, Bob. =)) at "8 foot jump hook 10 feet from the basket." At least now, he has extended his range with the "10 foot jump hook 12 feet from the basket." :laughing-rofl:

Just wait. He'll make 10/10 when they play us and shoot 8/12 from the field and have 1 PF called on him.
And that will go with his 5 blocks, 4 of which that should have been called as goaltending

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 20th, 2010, 4:50 pm

Jesus_hurley wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Jesus_hurley wrote:

And that will go with his 5 blocks, 4 of which that should have been called as goaltending

Grr...

Makes me X( already.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 21st, 2010, 9:31 am

Just how does it feel to get bumped by the ESPN family of networks to "the U" by Geno Auriemma and the Huskie women? Do you want them go to back in the kitchen? Could Maya Moore help your men's team? Could Geno outcoach Ol' Roy with half a brain tied behind his back?

Go Bill and Mary! :9f:
:D
Iron Duke #1471997.
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » December 23rd, 2010, 12:58 pm

I've spent a large portion of the morning arguing with a 'hole about K passing Dean on shindman's facebook page. Fucking moron.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 23rd, 2010, 5:25 pm

Jesus_hurley wrote:I've spent a large portion of the morning arguing with a 'hole about K passing Dean on shindman's facebook page. Fucking moron.

Like this:

http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2010/09/29/ ... -fan-nsfw/

Still funny.
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » January 9th, 2011, 12:53 am

Squeaked by the mighty hoo's today. Even without Mike Scott, who sounds like he might be done for the season, UVA had a shot at winning. The 'holes are better than last year, but still have a ways to go.

captmojo

Post by captmojo » January 9th, 2011, 6:58 am

Jesus_hurley wrote:Squeaked by the mighty hoo's today. Even without Mike Scott, who sounds like he might be done for the season, UVA had a shot at winning. The 'holes are better than last year, but still have a ways to go.

Virginia played well for 34 minutes. It was the 'Deer in the headlights' play, during the last 6, that spelled their doom. They are fairly well trained on defense. A good spread and penetrate offensive plan at the point of comeback at the end but their defense training failed them, at the other end of the court.This is one they should archive the film of and go back to view often as a teaching tool for instruction of what not to do.

Keeping the holes in a half-court game is the way to take them down, unless you are shooting 'lights out' from the field. They can play a running game with anyone in the country. Slowing their tempo forces them to need floor direction, and the floor leader is just a lost soul. At the other end, this slower tempo forces them to play defense, which they suck at.
:9f: indeed! :9f:
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » January 9th, 2011, 1:48 pm

The Carolina faithful can't be impressed with that [insert adjective: sloppy, lucky or uninspired] victory over a depleted Virginia squad. I agree with captmojo the Heels suck in the halfcourt. I hope Seth Greenburg pays close attention to the game film because that VT zone which shutdown FSU should really bother Carolina with their tendency to throw the ball away. A VT victory in Chapel Hill would negate the positive of Carolina's road victory in Charlottesville.

I only watched the 1st half of the VT win over FSU but the Hokies went to a 2-3 zone and finished the half on something like a 12-0 run.