An Honest, From-The-Heart, Sales Offer

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor

An Honest, From-The-Heart, Sales Offer

Post by EarlJam » September 21st, 2010, 11:36 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, I do NOT mean to use this forum in an incorrect way, but I'm very motivated and eager to pitch a product for corporate sales that I honestly do believe in (I would not post if I didn't believe in it).

The NOOK. Barnes & Noble. It's a great product. It has tons of "bells and whistles" but to me the thing that sells it is the screen itself. It really is an awesome way to read, especially when on the road or outside. It's just like reading an actual page.

Right now, we are offering some bulk discounts on the NOOK. I know that lots of people here work for large companies who may have an interest in finding incentive gifts for sales staff or high-level sponsors. NOOK would be a great choice. I'm not just saying that. It's truly a great product.

And yes, I, and my individual store would benefit greatly. I'm not hiding that. Just trying to reach as many people I can with the offer to at least initiate conversation.

Would anyone be interested or know of anyone interested in acquiring NOOKs for sales staff, valued customers, etc.? Again, I don't mean to be board-non PC here. Just reaching out to everyone I know. If this were a BS product in my heart, I would not send this; but I really do love this product!

Just let me know. Any help or leads would be tremendous.

Thanks in advance,

-EarlJam

P.S. Reaching out to Jimmy V Foundation tomorrow. I am an 8+ year donor but don't have personal leads. Anyone hve leads? Thanks.
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: An Honest, From-The-Heart, Sales Offer

Post by bjornolf » September 22nd, 2010, 7:38 am

Sorry, I don't have any corporate sales leads for you. However, my wife and my dad both have the Kindle. What makes the Nook better than the Kindle?

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » September 22nd, 2010, 9:52 am

bjornolf wrote:Sorry, I don't have any corporate sales leads for you. However, my wife and my dad both have the Kindle. What makes the Nook better than the Kindle?

@};-
As far as the product itself goes, most of the differences are related to the user's preference (e.g., would you rather push buttons or have a touch screen, etc.). The Kindle is a great product. But because B&N has actual stores, I think by far the greatest benefit is customer service. If something should go wrong with the device, or if you have any questions, you can take NOOK to your local store and have the problem fixed in usually a matter of minutes. This is what we are hearing from customers as well. Also, we do a lot of in-store promotions.

Again, though, the Kindle is a good product.

-EarlJam
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » September 22nd, 2010, 10:07 am

bjornolf wrote:Sorry, I don't have any corporate sales leads for you. However, my wife and my dad both have the Kindle. What makes the Nook better than the Kindle?

@};-
Kindle also has better advertising on TV, for right now. However, with EarlJam in charge, I have no doubt this will change. I can see it now... a talking purple-legged tapir selling the Nook. Yep, the Kindle's days are numbered. :D
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » September 22nd, 2010, 11:19 am

I bought my nook on July 4th this year. At first I was against the idea of an ebook, but now fully support the nook.

I chose the nook over the kindle for the very reason EarlJam noted above, customer service. If I have a problem with my nook, I can take it to a human being. I've not had great luck with Amazon customer service lately, which further justified my decision.

One benefit about the nook that I don't think Barnes and Noble advertises nearly enough, is free book Fridays. I've downloaded books I wouldn't typically buy as they were free. Mind you a couple of them have been trashy novels, but hey, need to mix things up.

I highly recommend the nook.
I worship the Blue Devil!
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » September 22nd, 2010, 11:42 am

I'm considering a Nook. I think a great aspect of it is the fact that you can go into a B&N with it and read any book in their catalog for some period of time without paying for it.

Plus, as an open source/open standard advocate, I love the fact that Nook supports the standard ePub format. You can get books from various sources. Kindle uses a proprietary format so that you may ONLY get your e-Books from Amazon.
-- DukeUsul
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 22nd, 2010, 1:28 pm

I have had my Nook since January. My two primary reasons for Nook over Kindle were (as has been said) it uses the standard ePub format - not Amazon's sooper dubble sekret format AND it uses Android...which means if someone were so inclined (and didn't mind voiding a warranty) the could root it at run android apps on it - of course I persoanlly would never do such a thing. :whistle:

It also handles pdfs rather well...I found a pdf version of a book about the founding families in New Jersey....which included a LOT of my relatives - downloaded to the Nook no problem.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 22nd, 2010, 1:38 pm

TillyGalore wrote:One benefit about the nook that I don't think Barnes and Noble advertises nearly enough, is free book Fridays. I've downloaded books I wouldn't typically buy as they were free. Mind you a couple of them have been trashy novels, but hey, need to mix things up.
I will say in defense of the Kindle that there are hundreds, maybe thousands, of books in their catalog that are free everyday. I'd say 75% of the books that my wife has read on her Kindle were free. Yes, many are trashy novels, but many are the first and second books of a decent series that have gotten my wife into those series buying the later ones, which is, of course, the whole point of the free ones.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 22nd, 2010, 1:47 pm

bjornolf wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:One benefit about the nook that I don't think Barnes and Noble advertises nearly enough, is free book Fridays. I've downloaded books I wouldn't typically buy as they were free. Mind you a couple of them have been trashy novels, but hey, need to mix things up.
I will say in defense of the Kindle that there are hundreds, maybe thousands, of books in their catalog that are free everyday. I'd say 75% of the books that my wife has read on her Kindle were free. Yes, many are trashy novels, but many are the first and second books of a decent series that have gotten my wife into those series buying the later ones, which is, of course, the whole point of the free ones.

@};-

There are thousands of books also available in ePub format that are downloadable...I've also pulled down geeky publications and research papers available as pdfs....

I should add that I personally didn't like the feel of the Kindle...one of my friends just bought a Kindle because she didn't like the feel of the Nook... if doesn't feel comfortable in your hands it doesn't matter HOW many freebies you can get.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 22nd, 2010, 6:47 pm

windsor wrote:
bjornolf wrote:

@};-

There are thousands of books also available in ePub format that are downloadable...I've also pulled down geeky publications and research papers available as pdfs....

I should add that I personally didn't like the feel of the Kindle...one of my friends just bought a Kindle because she didn't like the feel of the Nook... if doesn't feel comfortable in your hands it doesn't matter HOW many freebies you can get.
I was just pointing out that Kindle also has freebies, that's all. Is the Nook backlit? My wife is NOT a fan of backlighting for that kind of device.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » September 22nd, 2010, 7:45 pm

bjornolf wrote:Is the Nook backlit? My wife is NOT a fan of backlighting for that kind of device.

@};-
No.
I worship the Blue Devil!
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » September 22nd, 2010, 7:48 pm

bjornolf wrote:
I was just pointing out that Kindle also has freebies, that's all. Is the Nook backlit? My wife is NOT a fan of backlighting for that kind of device.

@};-
NOOK is not backlit because it uses the same e-ink technology that the Kindle uses. It's like that on purpose because unlike backlit devices, the screens of NOOK and Kindle won't washout in outdoors in the sunlight and it truly is much easier on the eyes. The screen itself is what sold me on the product. You can also change the font sizes and styles of what you are reading, which is a pretty cool thing.

-EarlJam
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 23rd, 2010, 5:59 am

EarlJam wrote:
bjornolf wrote:

@};-
NOOK is not backlit because it uses the same e-ink technology that the Kindle uses. It's like that on purpose because unlike backlit devices, the screens of NOOK and Kindle won't washout in outdoors in the sunlight and it truly is much easier on the eyes. The screen itself is what sold me on the product. You can also change the font sizes and styles of what you are reading, which is a pretty cool thing.

-EarlJam
Yea, my wife loves being able to change the font sizes and styles on her Kindle, too. Weird, though. She'd read on one of her patenting websites that Amazon had patented the screen technology. They must have figured out a slightly different way to do it.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 23rd, 2010, 6:04 am

Just did a quick and dirty google search, and it appears that B&N is already involved in a lawsuit with Spring Design over the Nook, and that Amazon might be considering a lawsuit as well, since it patented the screen technology in 2006. Here's an article about the Spring Design case:

http://mashable.com/2009/11/02/spring-design-lawsuit/

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 23rd, 2010, 9:02 am

If you're looking for a light for your nook or kindle, you can find this at Target stores.
http://www.capstoneindustries.com/ebook ... 2lite.aspx
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com