LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by CathyCA » September 16th, 2010, 4:06 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Are there any firebugs out there? Hypothetically speaking, if one were freezing in an igloo, I mean law office, what would be the best things to set on fire? My photos, Duke memorabilia, and stuffed animals (lemur, meerkat, Tigger, two bunnies) are off limits. Anything else is probably fair game.
OMG--that is the downside of working in a law office. The guys wear wool suits and thick socks, long-sleeved shirts, closed-toed shoes and undershirts year round. Then, they control the thermostat. You'd think they were menopausal women the way they keep that A/C cranked.

Here's what I did: They called in the HVAC guy one day because some of the guys' offices weren't cold enough. I pulled the HVAC guy aside and asked him to bring me two of those adjustable vent covers and to switch out the vent covers in my office. When he did that, I told him to close my HVAC vents. Problem solved!

I also have a Disneyland jacket that I wear when it gets too cold.

Can you sneak in one of those portable heaters to put at your feet without alerting the county fire marshal?

How about last year's Virginia General Statutes? You could burn one volume each day and make it until October. . .
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 16th, 2010, 4:15 pm

CathyCA wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:Are there any firebugs out there? Hypothetically speaking, if one were freezing in an igloo, I mean law office, what would be the best things to set on fire? My photos, Duke memorabilia, and stuffed animals (lemur, meerkat, Tigger, two bunnies) are off limits. Anything else is probably fair game.
OMG--that is the downside of working in a law office. The guys wear wool suits and thick socks, long-sleeved shirts, closed-toed shoes and undershirts year round. Then, they control the thermostat. You'd think they were menopausal women the way they keep that A/C cranked.

Here's what I did: They called in the HVAC guy one day because some of the guys' offices weren't cold enough. I pulled the HVAC guy aside and asked him to bring me two of those adjustable vent covers and to switch out the vent covers in my office. When he did that, I told him to close my HVAC vents. Problem solved!

Can you sneak in one of those portable heaters to put at your feet without alerting the county fire marshal?

How about last year's Virginia General Statutes? You could burn one volume each day and make it until October. . .
One of my larger clients is a law office in Beufort, they have about 20 people working there. Literally, half the building is the cold side, half the building is the warm side. Some of the ladies in there keep their floor heaters running 24/7/365.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 16th, 2010, 4:32 pm

CathyCA wrote:

It's so cold in here, even the guys are chilly. Randy just suggested they rent the place out in the evenings to cure meat. I'm wearing a Christmas sweater. It's red fleece, complete with trees and snowmen.

Believe it or not, I don't have a copy of the Code, only a copy of Police Crimes and Offenses and Motor Vehicle Laws of Virginia. I suppose while Bob the pointy-headed boss is gone to Richmond, we could sneak in his office and steal his Code. Or I could burn the worthless outlines of 14 years' worth of conferences. I just need a burn barrel.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » September 16th, 2010, 6:27 pm

Good morning! ~O)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 16th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Lavabe wrote:Good morning! ~O)
Hi, Lavabe. What are you eating today? Something recognizable, I hope.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » September 16th, 2010, 6:38 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Good morning! ~O)
Hi, Lavabe. What are you eating today? Something recognizable, I hope.
Just counting down the minutes before ILJ greets me at the airport with food from our fresh farmer's market. At least with ILJ, I know she won't greet me with codfish roe.

SO glad I didn't sign up for the Japanese-style end of conference dinner tonight.

FWIW, soba noodles are good, but the place I went to the other day had nothing but fish stock to go with them. Will try to find a tempura place today.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 16th, 2010, 7:21 pm

I'm watching "Death Wish 3". (For the second night in a row.) I can't not watch this movie, it's one of the most insanely rediculous implausible over-the-top campy movies ever made. And Charles Bronson is a bad-ass.
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » September 16th, 2010, 7:56 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'm watching "Death Wish 3". (For the second night in a row.) I can't not watch this movie, it's one of the most insanely rediculous implausible over-the-top campy movies ever made. And Charles Bronson is a bad-ass.
Are you saying he would kick Dirty Harry's ass? What about the ass of Mannix or Barnaby Jones?

-Earljam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 16th, 2010, 8:00 pm

EarlJam wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'm watching "Death Wish 3". (For the second night in a row.) I can't not watch this movie, it's one of the most insanely rediculous implausible over-the-top campy movies ever made. And Charles Bronson is a bad-ass.
Are you saying he would kick Dirty Harry's ass? What about the ass of Mannix or Barnaby Jones?

-Earljam
Bronson and Eastwood would have been a great team.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 16th, 2010, 8:01 pm

Death Wish 4: The Crackdown --- Now starting. I've never seen this one..it's gotta be just as good/bad.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 16th, 2010, 8:03 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Death Wish 4: The Crackdown --- Now starting. I've never seen this one..it's gotta be just as good/bad.
Death Wish 3 had Marina Sirtis (Counserlor Troi). Death Wish 4 has Tim Russ (Tuvak). Good to see there's a Star Trek theme here.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 16th, 2010, 8:50 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

It's so cold in here, even the guys are chilly. Randy just suggested they rent the place out in the evenings to cure meat. I'm wearing a Christmas sweater. It's red fleece, complete with trees and snowmen.

Believe it or not, I don't have a copy of the Code, only a copy of Police Crimes and Offenses and Motor Vehicle Laws of Virginia. I suppose while Bob the pointy-headed boss is gone to Richmond, we could sneak in his office and steal his Code. Or I could burn the worthless outlines of 14 years' worth of conferences. I just need a burn barrel.
In whose office is the thermostat located?

The Christmas sweater is a great idea to get someone's attention that the AC is too cold. I may substitute my Disneyland jacket for a Christmas sweater for the effect. . . :occasion-snowman: :occasion-xmas: :occasion-snowman: :occasion-xmas: :occasion-snowman: :occasion-xmas:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » September 16th, 2010, 9:02 pm

CathyCA wrote:

In my last office building the A/C control WAS controlled by a menopausal woman. We could tell when she was having hot flashes, as the A/C would start cranking, other days it was warm as heck. It was tough not knowing what we were gonna get. She was really cool and open about it though. She volunteered to use that her symptoms were causing her to adjust it and that if it was affecting us, we were free to walk into her office and change it.
-- DukeUsul
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 16th, 2010, 9:06 pm

CathyCA wrote:
In whose office is the thermostat located?

The Christmas sweater is a great idea to get someone's attention that the AC is too cold. I may substitute my Disneyland jacket for a Christmas sweater for the effect. . . :occasion-snowman: :occasion-xmas: :occasion-snowman: :occasion-xmas: :occasion-snowman: :occasion-xmas:
There are several thermostats in the suite, but apparently none of them work. All of them are turned to 80. When the maintenance people come over (at least twice a year) they discover that the AC is stuck on high and the fans are stuck on high, but they always blame it on us turning the thermostats up. Not sure of that logic-it's frigid in the office because people are turning the thermostats to 80.

I'll wear my Duke hoodie tomorrow. :duke: :duke:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 16th, 2010, 9:26 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
EarlJam wrote:

-Earljam
Bronson and Eastwood would have been a great team.
Patrick Davidson would've kicked all their asses.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 17th, 2010, 8:33 am

CathyCA wrote:

For just a few bucks, you can buy a magnetic sheet at Bed Bath and Beyond or Linens N Things that you just stick to your registers. They block 99% of the cold coming through. Just a thought.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 17th, 2010, 9:12 am

bjornolf wrote:For just a few bucks, you can buy a magnetic sheet at Bed Bath and Beyond or Linens N Things that you just stick to your registers. They block 99% of the cold coming through. Just a thought.

@};-
Really? Thanks! I hadn't heard about those. I'll have to look for them.

I have an east window, and my miniblinds are wide open. There's a glare on the computer, but it's almost cozy in here this morning.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 17th, 2010, 11:28 am

bjornolf wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

For just a few bucks, you can buy a magnetic sheet at Bed Bath and Beyond or Linens N Things that you just stick to your registers. They block 99% of the cold coming through. Just a thought.

@};-
Unless you have these vents: Image

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 17th, 2010, 11:33 am

CathyCA wrote:
bjornolf wrote:

@};-
Unless you have these vents: Image
Damn. We actually rolled toilet paper up in them one time. The fire marshal nearly had a stroke when he came to visit!
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 17th, 2010, 6:32 pm

OMG, I am such an emotional wreck. I have watched As The World Turns for 35 years.

Today the final episode of ATWT aired. I cried through the whole thing. My show is over, and I will never see my friends from Oakdale again. I miss them so much already.

I shared ATWT with my greatest grandmother; my Aunt Martha, my college roommate; my former MIL, who would sometimes see the actors from the show at King's Supermarket in Ridgewood and then she would call me to tell me all about what Lisa or Martha was wearing; and my online ATWT friends. When I was a stay-at-home mom, I corresponded with some of the actors and with the head writer on a messageboard like this one. That show was my guilty pleasure, and I am going to miss it so much.

:(( L-) :(( L-) :(( L-)

~ James Naismith