Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: FB practice

Post by Bob Green » August 20th, 2010, 10:19 pm

Friday Night scrimmage report:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml? ... =204980654
"Offensively, I think our line did a fantastic job the entire scrimmage," Renfree said. "We improved overall as we went."

Four receivers - Brandon Braxton (53 yards), Tony Foster (47 yards), Matt Pridemore (38 yards) and Conner Vernon (43 yards) - each caught four passes while Helfet (53 yards) and Corey Gattis (39 yards) had two receptions apiece. Braxton had two touchdown grabs covering 19 and 14 yards, respectively.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » August 20th, 2010, 10:56 pm

Jim Sumner has posted some observations on tonight's scrimmage at Duke Basketball Report:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/for ... -scrimmage

His thoughts are worth reading.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 21st, 2010, 12:46 am

Bob Green wrote:Jim Sumner has posted some observations on tonight's scrimmage at Duke Basketball Report:

His thoughts are worth reading.
I think I recognize that name ;) .

His thoughts are ALWAYS worth reading.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 21st, 2010, 10:19 pm

Also while at said Football Fan Appreciation Day, it was definitely a practice and not a scrimmage. I did more socializing with the fans, including Cheermom, cheerdaughter Rachel, Watzone, and many others, rather than "study" the practice. Renfree did look good. I'm sure Watzone will have a more detailed description, as well as many interviews, posted on his web site, http://bluedevilnation.net .
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 21st, 2010, 10:25 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Also while at said Football Fan Appreciation Day, it was definitely a practice and not a scrimmage. I did more socializing with the fans, including Cheermom, cheerdaughter Rachel, Watzone, and many others, rather than "study" the practice. Renfree did look good. I'm sure Watzone will have a more detailed description, as well as many interviews, posted on his web site, http://bluedevilnation.net .
Thanks for the shmooze report! =))
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
wolfpackdevil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by wolfpackdevil » August 22nd, 2010, 9:49 pm

Does anybody know how Donovan Varner and Austin Kelly are doing? They were both held out of the scrimmage due to injury?

And from what it sounds like, our kicker Will Snyderwine hasn't looked too good so far in practice. And Cutcliffe said that there is now a competition for the starting job. This is not good at all... :(( :-w :-s
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 22nd, 2010, 10:01 pm

wolfpackdevil wrote:Does anybody know how Donovan Varner and Austin Kelly are doing? They were both held out of the scrimmage due to injury?

And from what it sounds like, our kicker Will Snyderwine hasn't looked too good so far in practice. And Cutcliffe said that there is now a competition for the starting job. This is not good at all... :(( :-w :-s
From what I understand is that Snyderwine has actually looked good in practice..but that he tanked during the scrimmage. BUT...he wasn't the only kicker to struggle..so yes, it's a competition. I'm hoping/guessing that Varner will be ready to go..it's his hamstring. I'm not sure about Kelly (as to what his injury is). Bright side, it sounds like the guys who are behind them on the depth chart can more than carry their weight. I'm more worried about QB than receiver..if Renfree gets hurt it doesn't sound like anyone has really stepped up behind him...especially Schroeder..and he's supposed to be the guy to do it. Connette's earned a lot of praise, but I really hope he stays redshirted this season.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 22nd, 2010, 11:36 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
wolfpackdevil wrote:Does anybody know how Donovan Varner and Austin Kelly are doing? They were both held out of the scrimmage due to injury?

From what I understand is that Snyderwine has actually looked good in practice..but that he tanked during the scrimmage. BUT...he wasn't the only kicker to struggle..so yes, it's a competition. I'm hoping/guessing that Varner will be ready to go..it's his hamstring. I'm not sure about Kelly (as to what his injury is). Bright side, it sounds like the guys who are behind them on the depth chart can more than carry their weight. I'm more worried about QB than receiver..if Renfree gets hurt it doesn't sound like anyone has really stepped up behind him...especially Schroeder..and he's supposed to be the guy to do it. Connette's earned a lot of praise, but I really hope he stays redshirted this season.
AFAIK, it's a hammy issue with Kelly, too.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 23rd, 2010, 7:55 pm

Good sounding news on Donovan Varner...
Junior wideout Donovan Varner has missed both of Duke's scrimmages this fall but has really been coming on strong the last week in practices ... Varner has been doing extra work after practice by catching balls from the jug machine and is showing in drills what earned him a spot on the All-ACC first team last season by continuosly getting open on passing plays.
wolfpackdevil

Post by wolfpackdevil » August 24th, 2010, 12:38 pm

I have found out that Austin Kelly will not play in Duke's final scrimmage tonight.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 24th, 2010, 4:33 pm

On tonight's scrimmage..
"What I've told these young guys is, 'It's your job to make it where I have to play you. Don't be asking me to play you. You make it where I have to play you with your performance on the field,' " Cutcliffe said. "This season we'll be playing twice as many people as we've been able to play here. I think personally that's how you build a football program. You need to play your depth. It not only helps this team in the fourth quarter, it helps your program in the next year and the next year to be able to do that. We haven't been able to do that like we want to."
http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_stor ... in_article
DevilWearsPrada

Post by DevilWearsPrada » September 19th, 2010, 10:40 am

Going to need alot of practice, after the Bama game. Review the BAMA game, and look to ARmy. Can learn alot from watching film of the Alabama game. Great to see Wallace Wade so full. I found the Bama fans very nice and enjoying their day! They know the Tide, was going to roll all over the Blue Devils. Reminded me of the 99 Mens Basketball team. And the UCONN girls!