FB practice

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

FB practice

Post by devildeac » August 13th, 2010, 7:35 pm

Began on Monday. We are loaded at RB and should be better this year (can't be much worse, right?). Our receivers are talented and plentiful ( #-o ) and the OL is a year more experienced for the most part. Our DB are more experienced and one of them is giving Vernon and Varner fits with his height (really). Our LB are quick and talented and our DL needs some help. Oh, and Renfree is taller than Thad and the track has not been lowered 8-| .

Two-a-days start Monday.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: FB practice

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 14th, 2010, 12:07 am

Check out goduke.com each morning, they update the highlights from the previous practice..good stuff. :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
wolfpackdevil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by wolfpackdevil » August 14th, 2010, 12:27 am

20 days and 10 hours until the tailgate begins in front of wallace-wade!

I feel a big year ahead for Duke football.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 14th, 2010, 6:46 am

wolfpackdevil wrote:20 days and 10 hours until the tailgate begins in front of wallace-wade!

I feel a big year ahead for Duke football.
I think there is a fair amount of quiet excitement for FB this year. In spring practice, Cut asked the players if they were conceding any games this year and none would freely admit to the you-know-what-game.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 16th, 2010, 9:28 am

scrimmage tonight.

:-w :whistle:
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » August 16th, 2010, 9:50 pm

Scrimmage report: http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml? ... =204978399

Coach Cutcliffe with high praise for Sean Renfree's mental preparation. Matt Daniels with the big hit of the night. Donovan Varner was held out of the scrimmage due to injury. Cutcliffe comments the receivers are banged up.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 16th, 2010, 10:55 pm

Bob Green wrote:Scrimmage report: http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml? ... =204978399

Coach Cutcliffe with high praise for Sean Renfree's mental preparation. Matt Daniels with the big hit of the night. Donovan Varner was held out of the scrimmage due to injury. Cutcliffe comments the receivers are banged up.
Dang, Bob, you are good. And quick. I'm still waiting for a first hand/eye witness report from my connection.

:-w :whistle:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 16th, 2010, 11:03 pm

Bob Green wrote: Donovan Varner was held out of the scrimmage due to injury.
Keep that boy healthy!!!!
Thanks for the update Bob. :happy-bouncyblue:
wolfpackdevil

Post by wolfpackdevil » August 17th, 2010, 1:05 am

Anybody going to the scrimmage saturday??
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 17th, 2010, 9:12 am

The article that Bob posted is behind the blue tinted glasses a bit. One of the points of concern was that no touchdowns were scored...and our offense is supposed to be better than our defense this year.

Renfree impressed in the scrimmage, Connette...not so much. (Which is what you would expect.)

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_stor ... in_article
"This is why you scrimmage," Cutcliffe said. "In practice, the coaches are around and on top of you and reminding you.
"Then, suddenly, one of the things I like to do is get the coaches back and out of the way. Then you start seeing where their heads are. We didn't pass that first test very well."
"Sean Renfree, I thought, played well, especially without the services for a good bit of time from some of his better receivers and some banged up receivers," Cutcliffe said. "Just his total command of the offense is pretty amazing."
Freshman quarterback Brandon Connette was 4-of-13 for 42 yards. He led a drive that advanced inside the defense's 20, but two penalties set the march back before Connette threw an interception.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » August 17th, 2010, 4:23 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:The article that Bob posted is behind the blue tinted glasses a bit.
Yeah, the GoDuke article was definitely all roses, while this injury report from the N&O is less than exciting:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/du ... -hamstrung

While we are incredibly deep at wide receiver, we are equally thin along the defensive line. Hopefully these are all minor bumps, bruises, and strains so the guys can be ready to go on September 4th. We need to be healthy all season.

Bob
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 17th, 2010, 4:28 pm

Bob Green wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:The article that Bob posted is behind the blue tinted glasses a bit.
Yeah, the GoDuke article was definitely all roses, while this injury report from the N&O is less than exciting:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/du ... -hamstrung

While we are incredibly deep at wide receiver, we are equally thin along the defensive line. Hopefully these are all minor bumps, bruises, and strains so the guys can be ready to go on September 4th. We need to be healthy all season.

Bob
I agree..I'm hoping they are holding out on the scrimmages just so they know they will be ready for the real game...but it's a double edged sword in that they will need that experience.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » August 17th, 2010, 4:46 pm

wolfpackdevil wrote:Anybody going to the scrimmage saturday??
According to the Herald-Sun:

the two remaining scrimmages are Friday and August 24th. I believe Saturday is an open practice and Fan Appreciation Day rather than a scrimmage. It is my understanding last night's scrimmage was closed to the public. I've no intel on Friday's scrimmage being open or closed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 17th, 2010, 10:38 pm

Bob Green wrote:

the two remaining scrimmages are Friday and August 24th. I believe Saturday is an open practice and Fan Appreciation Day rather than a scrimmage. It is my understanding last night's scrimmage was closed to the public. I've no intel on Friday's scrimmage being open or closed.
My inside source says the next scrimmage is on Saturday and not Friday and is open to the public.

He also said that Coach Cut was NOT happy at all with the performance yesterday.
But he was nice enough to congratulate him on his engagement ;) .
wolfpackdevil

Post by wolfpackdevil » August 17th, 2010, 10:46 pm

Bob Green wrote:

There is an advertisement in the newspaper that said there will be a scrimmage saturday during the fan day from 4-6.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » August 18th, 2010, 11:27 am

devildeac wrote:My inside source says the next scrimmage is on Saturday and not Friday and is open to the public.

It appears I'm wrong on the future scrimmage dates so you all have fun on Saturday at the scrimmage.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 18th, 2010, 12:21 pm

Bob Green wrote:
devildeac wrote:My inside source says the next scrimmage is on Saturday and not Friday and is open to the public.

It appears I'm wrong on the future scrimmage dates so you all have fun on Saturday at the scrimmage.
I don't think there will be any Brunchgate practices/scrimmages so you'll be welcome to join us any Saturdays for the real deals, no practices required ;) :D .
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » August 19th, 2010, 4:28 pm

Extra Points: August 19

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml? ... =204979889

Positive comments on wide receiver Tony Foster. Our depth and talent at receiver is really impressive. With the offensive line being experienced (and hopefully improved), if we can establish enough of a running game that opponents have to respect the fact that we might run, the offense should score a lot of points this season. I think we will be successful running the ball as the coaching staff is focused upon establishing a run game so at times Renfree is going to burn some defenses throwing the ball deep off of play action.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 19th, 2010, 4:31 pm

Bob Green wrote:Extra Points: August 19

Positive comments on wide receiver Tony Foster. Our depth and talent at receiver is really impressive. With the offensive line being experienced (and hopefully improved), if we can establish enough of a running game that opponents have to respect the fact that we might run, the offense should score a lot of points this season. I think we will be successful running the ball as the coaching staff is focused upon establishing a run game so at times Renfree is going to burn some defenses throwing the ball deep off of play action.
That is so key. Last year everyone and their sister knew what Duke offensive plan was....throw the damn ball. That was the only option we had of course, unless we played NCCU every week. It will be great to see the Devils mixing it up once again, and with positive results.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 19th, 2010, 6:03 pm

Bob Green wrote:

Goduke.com says the team will be scrimmaging tomorrow night (Friday), and have open practice on Saturday. I'm thinking Bob is right given the source of this story. (IE the official Duke sports site)
The Blue Devils were on the field for two hours this morning in full pads as they prepare for the second scrimmage of the preseason on Friday night.
The annual Duke Football Fan Day has been scheduled for Saturday, August 21 at Wallace Wade Stadium ... the event, which is free of charge and open to the public, features an open practice from 4-6 p.m., followed by an autograph and photo session with coaches and players from 6-7 p.m. ... complimentary posters and schedule cards will be available while concession stands will be open ... in addition, the popular Coca-Cola Kids' Zone featuring inflatable games will be set up on the stadium concourse ... radio stations WBBB 96 Rock and WDNC 620 The Buzz both will be on location at the event.
You have to think that the Blue Devils would not want their scrimmage open. They are past garnering fan interest, now the focus is on winning..and they have WFU in only 3 weeks. Gotta keep those plays (and strengths and weaknesses) under the hat. :happy-bouncyblue: