LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by CathyCA » August 17th, 2010, 5:56 pm

colchar wrote:After applying for a bunch of positions and being repeatedly told that I am overqualified (in my opinion that attitude is extremely short-sighted), I just got a call to interview for a Learning Strategist position (helping undergrads with study, research, and writing skills) this Thursday at the university at which I did my M.A. It is only a part-time position (four full-time days per week) but it would be a foot in the door and the position starts at $30/hr so the salary is decent for a part-time position. They wanted someone with a degree in education, psych, etc. but I guess my M.A. in History combined with my university teaching experience looked good to them so I hope the interview goes well. Please keep your fingers crossed for me folks
Sounds good to me! Fingers, eyes, arms, legs and toes crossed for you!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 17th, 2010, 6:14 pm

Good luck job seeking vibes to you, my friend! }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 17th, 2010, 6:20 pm

DukeUsul wrote:Lisa's grandmother passed away this morning. We'll be driving to NJ tomorrow to be with family over the next week.

:(
So sorry.

:wizard: :ymhug: :YMPRAY:

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 17th, 2010, 6:56 pm

Sounds like a good opportunity colcahar. Vibes. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
-- DukeUsul
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 17th, 2010, 7:01 pm

Vibes to colchar... GET THE JOB!!
:-BD :-BD :-BD :-BD :-BD :-BD :-BD :-BD :-BD :-BD :-BD :-BD
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Native
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Native » August 17th, 2010, 7:04 pm

Vibes, Colchar, Vibes!

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 17th, 2010, 7:10 pm

DukeUsul wrote:Lisa's grandmother passed away this morning. We'll be driving to NJ tomorrow to be with family over the next week.

So sorry for your loss. Vibes to the family in this difficult time, and vibes to you for a safe trip.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 17th, 2010, 7:14 pm

CathyCA wrote:According to my kid's FB posting, ExLax is going to the Lady Gaga concert without either of my kids.

<rant>For 23 years I tried to get that man to listen to something other than country music. I'm surprised that he even knows who Lady Gaga is.</rant over>
Shin kicks to ExLax and to BimbHo, who is likely behind the trip to the Lady Gaga concert. :Ult Ninja: :ph34r:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 17th, 2010, 7:15 pm

colchar wrote:After applying for a bunch of positions and being repeatedly told that I am overqualified (in my opinion that attitude is extremely short-sighted), I just got a call to interview for a Learning Strategist position (helping undergrads with study, research, and writing skills) this Thursday at the university at which I did my M.A. It is only a part-time position (four full-time days per week) but it would be a foot in the door and the position starts at $30/hr so the salary is decent for a part-time position. They wanted someone with a degree in education, psych, etc. but I guess my M.A. in History combined with my university teaching experience looked good to them so I hope the interview goes well. Please keep your fingers crossed for me folks
This sounds like a great opportunity, colchar! Vibes that the interview goes well. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 17th, 2010, 7:33 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
CathyCA wrote:According to my kid's FB posting, ExLax is going to the Lady Gaga concert without either of my kids.

<rant>For 23 years I tried to get that man to listen to something other than country music. I'm surprised that he even knows who Lady Gaga is.</rant over>
Shin kicks to ExLax and to BimbHo, who is likely behind the trip to the Lady Gaga concert. :Ult Ninja: :ph34r:
Thanks, AD.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 17th, 2010, 7:37 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:

NOT going with either of your kids is a GOOD thing in the respect that you probably wouldn't want the kids to go to a Lady Gaga concert.

But this is a stretch. /:)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 17th, 2010, 8:27 pm

Thoughts go to you and your family. I hope all the best for your family during this next week. :YMPRAY:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 17th, 2010, 8:28 pm

Major vibes for you, Colchar!!! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 17th, 2010, 8:35 pm

DU, so sorry for you and Lisa and your families. Prayers and vibes for you as you travel and in your bereavement.
Iron Duke #1471997.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 17th, 2010, 8:35 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Crossing fingers and toes. Like you said...foot in the door..and $30/hr? Hell, I'd work part time for that and still make more than I do now. Best of luck!! :wizard: :wizard:

Thanks for the vibes everyone!

Yeah I'm liking the hourly wage. And I am not even certain it will only be $30 (actually $29.75/hr) as the salary range for the position is $29.75-$35.95 per hour. Because of that range, the salary might actually be higher than what I posted but I expect that, being a university, they will start the person at the lowest point on the wage scale for the position and then have them move through the scale as they progress in the role with automatic raises every X number of months or whatever. The other good thing is that, although there will be occasional weekend work involved, it is primarily a weekday job and the four days per week are Mon-Thurs which means that I would get Friday off, and thus have a long weekend, every week! While I would prefer a full-time position, as far as part-time positions go this is a pretty good one.

I'm stressed out over the job search because it has become really frustrating, especially being told on a regular basis that I am overqualified. I want this job badly and I hope I can reign in any anxiety or stress for the length of the interview because those are the last things you want an interview panel to detect. Oh well, all I can do is to spend the rest of today and all of tomorrow preparing so that I am as ready as is possible when I walk in there Thursday. Hopefully it will go well.
Last edited by colchar on August 17th, 2010, 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 17th, 2010, 8:36 pm

Lavabe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:

NOT going with either of your kids is a GOOD thing in the respect that you probably wouldn't want the kids to go to a Lady Gaga concert.

But this is a stretch. /:)
Oh, it would be okay for my kids to go to the Lady Gaga concert. ExLax knows nothing about her, and none of her songs. He is going to look so ridiculous and out of place at that concert.

If I had ever asked him to go to a Lady Gaga concert, he would have laughed at me and refused to go.

But I'm not bitter or anything. . . :ymsick:

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 17th, 2010, 8:44 pm

I would go to a Lady GaGa show in two seconds. She's flat out fun. And she can sing. And she can play piano. And she doesn't need some producer to make her sound good.
She does need somebody to make her look good though...she's not got a lot in the looks department..so the goofy clothes distract.
But if I were blind...I'd have no complaints.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 17th, 2010, 9:25 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I would go to a Lady GaGa show in two seconds. She's flat out fun. And she can sing. And she can play piano. And she doesn't need some producer to make her sound good.
She does need somebody to make her look good though...she's not got a lot in the looks department..so the goofy clothes distract.
But if I were blind...I'd have no complaints.
ExLax doesn't care about good looking women. Naked women, yes. Good looking women, no.

And I would totally go to a Lady Gaga concert if she ever played in my town.

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 17th, 2010, 9:27 pm

OMG! Lady Gaga is coming to Raleigh on September 18. I must check my calendar!

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 17th, 2010, 9:34 pm

I'm watching my soap right now. One of the characters has kidnapped two women, and she has threatened to ship them to Madagascar.

~ James Naismith