Soccer, footie, football, futbol

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Soccer, footie, football, futbol

Post by devildeac » June 24th, 2010, 9:36 am

I can't believe this hasn't been done yet:

GOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » June 24th, 2010, 10:11 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:On yesterday's game, while the US did get hosed by that call, they also blew LOTS of opportunities. I thought Donovan's quote about his goal being so close that "you can't miss" was pretty funny, becaused they missed from that close all day long, once even on an open net. The score should have been 5-0.
I say there are two possibilities for score: 4-0 or 5-1. If you give the Americans five, then I think you have to give Argentina at least one because they had some wicked opportunities as well.
sMiles
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 24th, 2010, 10:26 am

Miles wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:On yesterday's game, while the US did get hosed by that call, they also blew LOTS of opportunities. I thought Donovan's quote about his goal being so close that "you can't miss" was pretty funny, becaused they missed from that close all day long, once even on an open net. The score should have been 5-0.
I say there are two possibilities for score: 4-0 or 5-1. If you give the Americans five, then I think you have to give Argentina at least one because they had some wicked opportunities as well.

One correction to the above - Algeria. :D

At least, that's who I saw the USA play.
Life is good!
Miles

Post by Miles » June 24th, 2010, 10:45 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
Miles wrote:

LOL duh. Wow where is my mind?
sMiles
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 24th, 2010, 11:16 am

Miles wrote:
bjornolf wrote:I have to admit that this is the first World Cup I've really followed, but on the radio the last few days, they've been talking about how we've gotten screwed by the refs in the last three cups with phantom penalties that gave other teams goals, or missed penalties that would have helped. Somebody mentioned something about a handball against Germany a few years back that had a HUGE impact. If the casual US fans end up with the feeling that this just happens to us every time, that's bad for soccer as a whole.

@};-
For real, America has caught some really tough breaks in the past few cups. While it may be true that casual fans will be affected by these calls, it is probably not the reason that fans are turned off by soccer. If you solved the problem of bad calls, soccer fan ship in America wouldn't increase by any meaningful amount. The rest of the world deals with the nuances in the game, why can't we? There are much bigger issues at play here.

How are you enjoying the World Cup? Kelly and I are thinking about a vacation to Brazil for 2014.
Absolutely. I'm not saying it's right. I'm just saying that if soccer wants to grow into the US, the way to do it is to get the casual fans sucked in and turn them into real fans. If the casual fans' team gets "screwed" cup after cup after cup, you're NEVER gonna get the casual fan base to solidify into something more. That's all I'm saying. Yes, the die hards deal with the tough calls, but to get the casual fans more involved, you can't have the team they're interested in bounced year after year after year on bad calls, ESPECIALLY when the big event only happens once every four years. That's all I'm saying. You're MORE LIKELY to capture some of the casual fans if they don't feel screwed every time. No, fixing the bad calls alone probably wouldn't increase the soccer fan base in the US. However, a long run into the Cup by the US team might. A short run made shorter in a way that the casual fans feel that their team was done wrong, especially multiple times in a row, is NEVER gonna capture the fans. That's all I'm saying.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 24th, 2010, 12:23 pm

Miles wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:I say there are two possibilities for score: 4-0 or 5-1. If you give the Americans five, then I think you have to give Argentina at least one because they had some wicked opportunities as well.

LOL duh. Wow where is my mind?[/quote]
Probably still in the pub ;) :D
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 24th, 2010, 12:48 pm

Miles wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:
Miles wrote: quote="CameronBornAndBred" On yesterday's game, while the US did get hosed by that call, they also blew LOTS of opportunities. I thought Donovan's quote about his goal being so close that "you can't miss" was pretty funny, becaused they missed from that close all day long, once even on an open net. The score should have been 5-0. /quote

LOL duh. Wow where is my mind?
Same place the French team's brains were? :D
Life is good!
Miles

Post by Miles » June 25th, 2010, 8:38 am

DukieInKansas wrote: Same place the French team's brains were? :D
I think it's safe to say that you shouldn't use "French team's" and "brains" in the same sentence.

One of our programmers is French. I feel so bad for him. It's not even fun to give him a hard time. Now if we had an Italian programmer, I'd have to problem letting them know how sweet it is they went home.
sMiles
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 25th, 2010, 11:35 pm

Vibes for the big game early. Thankfully the game is on ABC because in laws don't have cable.

Bruce and his sister Amy grew up in Ghana so we will have a split in front of TV. Bro in law Steve the Mennonite will be pulling for the USA too. But no brews and no section 21 on my phone. Sigh.
Iron Duke #1471997.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 26th, 2010, 6:17 am

lawgrad91 wrote:don't have cable.
Interesting, I didn't know this was possible. :)
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » June 26th, 2010, 6:36 am

I have no sympathy for the French team. I feel they deserved everything that happened in the World Cup, considering how they handballed their way into it and became a number one seed in their group. Their behavior and controversy with their coach during the WC are also bereft of the class they have usually shown. They protested practice before the RSA game (given the coach's ouster of their star striker), their star players were talking about differences they had with their coach, and they played devoid of any fight. Right now, Canal+ have been interviewing handball expert Thierry Henry (attacker for Les Bleus), creating even more controversy. He should go back to doing razor commercials with Tiger and Federer.

They're actually opening up a government inquiry:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... erry-henry

Ireland would have been a better team in this World Cup. :twocents:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... SEEYA!!! :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 26th, 2010, 6:48 am

If ANYONE is thinking of rooting for Argentina, I have one thing to say...

They wear Carowhina blue.
L-) :tease: :naughty: :Boo:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 26th, 2010, 6:49 am

I've never been a fan of the French, particularly given that their only title was won at home.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 26th, 2010, 6:51 am

Lavabe wrote:If ANYONE is thinking of rooting for Argentina, I have one thing to say...

They wear Carowhina blue.
L-) :tease: :naughty: :Boo:
As an honorary Brazilian(okay, self-annointed but if you check my passport) anyone rooting for Argentina gets a hearty boooooooo!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 26th, 2010, 11:00 am

I will check out Section 21 for the USA game today just in case y'all are there. No guarantee that it will work for me, but I will try to be there.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 26th, 2010, 11:47 am

I want no part of any team who has Diego Maradona as a coach. So no Argentina for me either
Iron Duke #1471997.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 26th, 2010, 2:40 pm

Why do we ALWAYS give up a stupid early goal?

Ghana 1 - 0 USA early in the 1st half.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 26th, 2010, 3:00 pm

Mother in law walked in and promptly began trash talking about how Ghana was gonna win. Sigh. We look lousy.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 26th, 2010, 3:16 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Mother in law walked in and promptly began trash talking about how Ghana was gonna win. Sigh. We look lousy.
Edu in the game is pretty good. Howard has come to life. Ghana seems to be not as sharp as they once were.

I bet MIL roots for Carowhinea.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 26th, 2010, 3:26 pm

Lavabe wrote:Why do we ALWAYS give up a stupid early goal?

Ghana 1 - 0 USA early in the 1st half.
Tuned in a few minutes late and missed the goal but saw the replays. That really was some crappy D by our guys.