We don't have a true "go to" guy

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: We don't have a true "go to" guy

Post by ArkieDukie » December 31st, 2009, 9:44 pm

What's amazing to me is that Nolan seems to score lots of points very quietly.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » January 5th, 2010, 2:55 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
colchar wrote: Can you imagine the responses this post would illicit over yonder?
You would have been called an asshole already. And your defense post would have been deleted, because it was "attacking". =)) =)) =)) =))
True indeed. So very true indeed, which is why I love this forum so much. It's much more unbiased. That said, I'm really liking this team the more I see it, and I can't remember seeing another team improve from day one so quickly. I know he didn't put up huge numbers against Clemson, but I'm very high on Mason Plumlee. His fearless attitude alone is a breath of fresh air. He, if he stays, will be a huge star. Keep improving Duke!

GTHC!

-EJ
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
Jesus_hurley
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Jesus_hurley » January 5th, 2010, 10:43 pm

EarlJam wrote:
True indeed. So very true indeed, which is why I love this forum so much. It's much more unbiased. That said, I'm really liking this team the more I see it, and I can't remember seeing another team improve from day one so quickly. I know he didn't put up huge numbers against Clemson, but I'm very high on Mason Plumlee. His fearless attitude alone is a breath of fresh air. He, if he stays, will be a huge star. Keep improving Duke!

GTHC!

-EJ
I watched the first half of the Clemson game today (it was replayed on FSN this morning) and Mason had 3 shots that should have fallen. A good post move, an ally-oop, and a put back. Plus a couple of blocks. No doubt he'll be a star at Duke.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 5th, 2010, 10:50 pm

Jesus_hurley wrote:
EarlJam wrote:

GTHC!

-EJ
I watched the first half of the Clemson game today (it was replayed on FSN this morning) and Mason had 3 shots that should have fallen. A good post move, an ally-oop, and a put back. Plus a couple of blocks. No doubt he'll be a star at Duke.
He misses a lot from in close, and missing layups when you are that close to the rim is maddening. He has a ways to go, but when he gets there he'll be very hard to stop.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » January 6th, 2010, 9:39 am

I don't think you can have a better "coach on the floor" than Scheyer. Whoever is hot is going to get the ball and become the go to guy that night. Sometimes its himself. I can't imagine any player being more "go to" than that. :-BD
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » January 6th, 2010, 8:28 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:I don't think you can have a better "coach on the floor" than Scheyer. Whoever is hot is going to get the ball and become the go to guy that night. Sometimes its himself. I can't imagine any player being more "go to" than that. :-BD
Love, Ima
That is a GREAT point, and is what the "BeDeviler of the Boxscore" poll will be all about. Say Singler is hot as fire. If Jon only scores seven points, yet clearly leads the team in a way he is getting Singler a lot of looks (not necessarily direct assists), then Jon gets the vote. It doesn't show up great in the box score, but Jon gets the vote because he gave something to the team and its effort that the boxscore just can't show.

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » January 8th, 2010, 5:41 am

At first, I didn't even want to read any of this. Now, I believe this year's edition truly doesn't have this player and that's a good thing. The more self-responsibility per player to have faith in his own acumen, the better. I would venture to say that Jon's floor leadership is key and it's been good to see his play getting better throughout, since the season began and it should get even better yet before the campaign is done.

I want Eric Maynor to have to EAT HIS DAMN HEART OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » March 28th, 2010, 10:43 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:We don't have a go-to guy, and we haven't for the past few years. Jon is the closest, but, as of now, he isn't a player that we know will get us a basket when we need one. I think the best evidence of our lack of a go-to guy is that, like teams of the past few years, this year's squad goes long patches of games without scoring. It happened against UCONN and almost let them back in the game. And it happened at Wisconsin. A go-to guy takes the ball and gets a bucket to end that kind of drought.

I like this year's team and expect it to perform well in the ACC. But, without Jon (or Singler, finally) taking the next step, I think it will be especially difficult to make it beyond the Sweet 16.
Bringing this thread back to the top so that I can--joyfully :D --eat some crow. We don't need a "go to guy" because we have three highly capable scorers. And we play mean defense. And we're demons on the glass. And we're gutsy and a serious amount of intestinal fortitude.

Today our Devils won the kind of game that, simply put, we would not have won the past few seasons. We beat a very good, athletic Baylor team that should be a top 10 team next year. We are much better than anyone--including myself--thought. And I hope we continue to be "under the radar." Underestimate this team at your own risk. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to enjoy some crow!
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 28th, 2010, 11:12 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote:We don't have a go-to guy, and we haven't for the past few years. Jon is the closest, but, as of now, he isn't a player that we know will get us a basket when we need one. I think the best evidence of our lack of a go-to guy is that, like teams of the past few years, this year's squad goes long patches of games without scoring. It happened against UCONN and almost let them back in the game. And it happened at Wisconsin. A go-to guy takes the ball and gets a bucket to end that kind of drought.

I like this year's team and expect it to perform well in the ACC. But, without Jon (or Singler, finally) taking the next step, I think it will be especially difficult to make it beyond the Sweet 16.
Bringing this thread back to the top so that I can--joyfully :D --eat some crow. We don't need a "go to guy" because we have three highly capable scorers. And we play mean defense. And we're demons on the glass. And we're gutsy and a serious amount of intestinal fortitude.

Today our Devils won the kind of game that, simply put, we would not have won the past few seasons. We beat a very good, athletic Baylor team that should be a top 10 team next year. We are much better than anyone--including myself--thought. And I hope we continue to be "under the radar." Underestimate this team at your own risk. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to enjoy some crow!
What kind of ale matches well with that crow? And will your crow be broiled, grilled or roasted?

:)) :)) =)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
duketaylor
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by duketaylor » March 29th, 2010, 12:08 am

Saranac pale ale is very nice with roasted crow;)
"We are much better than anyone--including myself--thought."
Correction, I thought this team would go 28-3 or 27-4 in the regular season and do damage in the post-season. Don't think I posted it here, but did on another site and got lambasted by a few, who can now roast their own crow, haha!!
I love having seasoned seniors on a Duke team who buy into K and the coaches. I only got to see the last 3 minutes, and it was BEAUTIFUL.
I gotta believe Singler returns, especially with Irving coming in and Nolan looking solid as a 2 guard, Dawkins also, plus Curry. We're locked and loaded for the next 5 years. Love it!! GO DUKE!!! 9F!!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 4th, 2010, 10:45 am

Now that we've won the NCAA's, I wonder. Do you really need to have a "go to" guy? We had go to guys, think Iron Three, but we didn't have, nor did we need a go to guy this year.
I worship the Blue Devil!
captmojo

Post by captmojo » June 4th, 2010, 10:53 am

TillyGalore wrote:Now that we've won the NCAA's, I wonder. Do you really need to have a "go to" guy? We had go to guys, think Iron Three, but we didn't have, nor did we need a go to guy this year.
Ten of 'em......as long as they can play defense.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 6th, 2010, 5:31 pm

captmojo wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:Now that we've won the NCAA's, I wonder. Do you really need to have a "go to" guy? We had go to guys, think Iron Three, but we didn't have, nor did we need a go to guy this year.
Ten of 'em......as long as they can play defense.
Bingo :ymapplause:
DevilWearsPrada

Post by DevilWearsPrada » October 22nd, 2010, 12:44 pm

I think the GO TO guy, will change almost every game, this season. With what seems, so many Weapons this season, a different guy will emerge, every game. Consistenly, Nolan and Kyle will be the leaders. And Kyrie will be right there.

Makes me think of the 3 headed Monster (what sportscasters called it in '91 '92), with Christian, Bobby and Grant.

I miss Shane. WHOS YOUR DADDY? ^:)^ :duke:
DevilWearsPrada

Post by DevilWearsPrada » November 18th, 2010, 11:01 am

We have Emerging Markets on the Mens Basketball team. And have many Weapons of Destruction. Thus far, I have liked all the dismantling of the teams.

Can always count on our Seniors to lead the team.... Nolan and Kyle.

Deep and talented bench. Love it. Doesn't matter that there is not a True "GO TO GUY". Because the whole team is excellent!!!

Wonderful team dynamics in the Miami Ohio game, in the 2nd half. Great to see Mason, breaking out and having a Double Double.. And Ryan Kelly starting!!! Great shouters, from Seth, Andre, Kyrie, Nolan....... great guards!!!
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » January 3rd, 2011, 1:48 pm

Nolan's Rolling and on Fire!!!!

And Andre is consistent......... Kyle is consistent.

GO TO those 3!!! Nolan was awesome vs Miami!!!

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!
captmojo

Post by captmojo » January 7th, 2011, 6:02 pm

Yeah, we do. That feller's name is Jasmine Thomas. :-o :D :twitch:
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » February 21st, 2011, 9:44 am

NOLAN SMITH NdotSmitty
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » February 21st, 2011, 9:47 am

captmojo wrote:Yeah, we do. That feller's name is Jasmine Thomas. :-o :D :twitch:

Jasmine Thomas, (in case you didnt know), her boyfriend for quit some time is MASON Plumlee. He attends her home games, and she attends his home games. And Jas was at the Final 4 last year in Indy, sitting behind Mama and Daddy Plumlee!
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » March 7th, 2011, 6:48 am

NOLAN SMITH!