Are the Terps the Philly fans of the NCAA?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Are Maryland fans the Philly fans of the NCAA?

Maryland fans are WORSE than Philly fans. At least Philly fans don't riot twice a year.
50%
Maryland fans are the Philly fans of the NCAA, yes.
33%
Philly fans are worse than Maryland fans. Come on, Comcast doesn't have a JAIL in the bottom of it, for cryin' out loud.
17%

Total votes: 6
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Are the Terps the Philly fans of the NCAA?

Post by bjornolf » April 17th, 2010, 6:34 am

After this report about the Philly fans barfing on each other and Maryland fans rioting after every game and getting beat up for it, I have to wonder, are Maryland fans the Philly fans of the NCAA? I get that not EVERY fan of both are that bad, but Philly's had a reputation for decades, and Maryland's starting to match it. Please discuss.

Some evidence:
1. Philly fans constantly through beer, spit, gang up on fans of other teams, or fight with each other if none are available. Clinton Portis's mom (Redskins running back) got into fisticuffs with Eagle fans a few years ago. They cheer when opposing players are hurt. They were heard shouting that they hoped Michael Irvin was paralyzed when he was injured against the Eagles. I have been to Redskins games at Dallas, at Philadelphia, and at New York. The only one I'm afraid to wear my gear to and cheer on my team at is Philly. That's the only one I WON'T do again.

2. Maryland fans scream obscenities that can be heard over the broadcast, throw water bottles and batteries at opposing teams and their parents, and riot after every big game, win or lose. During one of their riots, they damaged a $1M cable that Comcast, the company SPONSORING their new arena when it was being built, had run through College Park. They've been heard to cheer when one of their players delivers a cheap shot, or an opposing player is injured. They've made inappropriate comments involving opposing players' little siblings.

Admittedly, with Maryland, 90% of this has happened against Duke. Philly fans don't discriminate. They even do some of this stuff to their OWN players.

Here's the story about the Philly fan: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homep ... __too.html

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: Are the Terps the Philly fans of the NCAA?

Post by EarlJam » April 17th, 2010, 9:48 am

Good analogy. I was going to vote, "Terp fans ARE the Philly fans of the NCAA" but had to change it last second. I just can't get over the way Philly fans booed Mike Schmidt (Mike Schmidt for gawd's sake!) and never "accepted" Donovan McNabb. That's nuts.

At least Maryland fans, for the most part, stand by their teams. They just have a weeeeeeeeeeee bit of a problem with rioting after big wins and losses. Kind of like Detroit fans.

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 17th, 2010, 10:06 am

I voted that the Terp fans are worse than Philly fans, though it was a hard decision, and admittedly, I had forgotten about the booing of Mike Schmidt. I think what swayed me was the fact that the University enables the Terps to act in the manner that they do (FYI-the First Amendment doesn't cover "fighting words," Terps administrators) and at least the Philadelphia authorities actually USE the jail on their own people if necessary. I suspect if Maryland had one, it would only be used for fans of the opposing team.

If my mom is present in the house, we watch any Duke game in College Park on "mute," and not just because of Dick Vitale!
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 17th, 2010, 10:49 am

lawgrad91 wrote:I voted that the Terp fans are worse than Philly fans, though it was a hard decision, and admittedly, I had forgotten about the booing of Mike Schmidt. I think what swayed me was the fact that the University enables the Terps to act in the manner that they do (FYI-the First Amendment doesn't cover "fighting words," Terps administrators) and at least the Philadelphia authorities actually USE the jail on their own people if necessary. I suspect if Maryland had one, it would only be used for fans of the opposing team.

If my mom is present in the house, we watch any Duke game in College Park on "mute," and not just because of Dick Vitale!
Philly phans also booed Santa Claus and pelted him with snowballs at an Iggles game in recent years. But, they didn't do 500K or 1M worth of damage to comcrap equipment after a twerps win (or was it a loss? :)) =)) ) in recent years either.

I'll call it a draw. :ymblushing:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » April 17th, 2010, 11:57 am

Yes
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » April 17th, 2010, 12:05 pm

Come one people, back off my hometown fans. Santa Claus had it coming!
-- DukeUsul
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » April 17th, 2010, 12:33 pm

DukeUsul wrote:Come one people, back off my hometown fans. Santa Claus had it coming!
Santa Claus didn't get vomited upon. It was an 11-yr-old girl who received the vomit.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 17th, 2010, 5:13 pm

I booed Santa the year I put in for a diamond and got a handgun! (that was in a previous life, not during the now-lifetime tenure of Mr. Lawgrad91).

Brave hubby of yours! Look honey, I got you a gun to massacre ME If I ever make a mistake OR (if I stop making you happy)! Bad move on his part, guys (we are such dumbasses) always say something insensitive or stupid. (because we are insensitive boobs) but OMG, POW... that's the last time I will hear that! LOL!!!!
Iron Duke #1471997.