LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by ArkieDukie » April 10th, 2010, 12:11 pm

DukeUsul wrote:This is gonna look good.
And it will look even better after we hang the 2011 banner beside it (knock on wood). :ymdevil:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » April 10th, 2010, 12:44 pm

Lavabe wrote:
EarlJam wrote:"April showers bring May flowers."

That is a bit misleading. There are many, many flowers in bloom now. So I would argue that April showers do more than bring May flowers. They bring April flowers as well.

It is now 61 degrees in Atlanta.

-EarlJam
But do you have showers? :veryconfused:
Good point. Rarely.
:)

-EJ
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » April 10th, 2010, 12:45 pm

Lavabe wrote:
EarlJam wrote:I just ate an apple. It was delicious, but not a "Delicious brand apple."

-EarlJam
SNAP! I thought Delicious was a variety, not a brand. :-o
Variety. Brand. Whatever.

:D

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » April 10th, 2010, 1:14 pm

I posted this on DBR, but realized it might be better appreciated here:
On a side note, I mentioned that I think Roxie's time may have passed. I actually don't think she ever really had a time, but I wanted her to, I really did... I think I want her to be a part of me but in reality I'm not sure I can pull it off.

I came to this realization last Friday night, after THE perfect opportunity for Roxie to come out and play completely blew by me without even realizing it until it was too late. Ugh, I'm such a freaking goody two shoes, or at least that's how I felt upon realizing I missed the chance. ::Sigh::
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 10th, 2010, 2:20 pm

Damn good!
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » April 10th, 2010, 3:06 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
Rolvix wrote:I saw Scheyer and Curry today!

(I was attending Blue Devil Days - a 2-day event designed to "sell" prospective students on Duke [I sure didn't need any "selling"])

And Wojo gave an AMAZING speech to the Blue Devil Days attendees. After showing a video (One Shining Moment edited to show only Duke plays) he talked about looking at Duke through the lenses of a prospective student, a student, and then a teacher/coach. It was by far one of the most convincing and genuine speeches I've heard in a long time. He told us about an essay that he wrote in one of his senior classes about what he wanted to be after college. Wojo said that he wrote about becoming a father and a basketball coach. Three weeks ago he had his second son and on Monday his work was rewarded with a National Championship. Apparently the professor from that class sent him the essay he wrote a decade ago and told him "You may want to show this to your son one day."

I can't imagine how any prospective students could pick ANY place besides Duke after the past two days. Holy cow. The people are INCREDIBLE. Three or four times a random student stopped to talk to me, whether it be to tell me about Springternational going on in the main quad or just telling me they hoped I would decide to attend Duke.

I've already decided that I really want to do the Global Health Focus program in the fall, major in Biology (Pre-med), get a certificate in Global Health, live at the Duke Marine Lab during the fall of my sophomore year, participate in DukeEngage to Haiti the summer after my sophomore year (working with medicine and global health), and study abroad the fall of my junior year.

I realize that none of that is guaranteed... And I can recognize the fact that it may not be possible to do everything I want to do when faced with the ridiculous time constraints that all undergrads deal with... (Only four years for [undergrad] college!? What's up with that??? I'm feeling more like six or eight...)

If you need help hooking with anyone from the medical school, let me know.

I also know several faculty interested in global health and could help you meet with them. Including a doctor who loves Haiti, did a sabbatical there and has been back twice since the earthquake to help.
That's awesome! I really appreciate it. I'm sure I'll need some contacts in the next few years...

I attended the DukeEngage Seminar yesterday and talked with the guy leading the program about Haiti. I'm pretty sure he mentioned the doctor that did his sabbatical there - that would be amazing. I'll definitely be in touch with you about that in the next year or so.
Class of 2014
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » April 10th, 2010, 3:06 pm

DukeUsul wrote: My company has a big global health program. After a couple years of school, if you're looking for an internship for a summer, get in touch with me and I'll see what I can do.
And thank you too! You guys are awesome :D
Class of 2014
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 10th, 2010, 5:43 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
windsor wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:

I want to meet your dogs!
If your travels every bring you to Florida holler - I'll bring the whole famn damily to meet you!

hummmmm - I should go visit my brother in Orlando. If I do, I'll let you know. Maybe you know where I can go kayaking with the manatees. I've been wanting to do that for a few years.
You should! The place to kayak with manatees is Crystal River...about an hour north of me...two hours from Orlando (more or less....depending on exactly where in Orlando he is) http://www.manateetoursusa.com/

Crystal River is gorgeous - you'd love it. I was down in the Keys for sport lobster season a few years ago and there were manatees in lagoon behind our rented house. I snorkeled with them and they are totally cool critters.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 10th, 2010, 7:59 pm

Why do I want to keep watching this (I promise it's not a rickroll):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGMJnkrAQco

:ymdevil: :D
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » April 10th, 2010, 8:03 pm

devildeac wrote:Why do I want to keep watching this (I promise it's not a rickroll):

Dayum! A little less hair and Mitch is a stunt double for Coach Cut! :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 10th, 2010, 8:15 pm

captmojo wrote:
devildeac wrote:Why do I want to keep watching this (I promise it's not a rickroll):

Dayum! A little less hair and Mitch is a stunt double for Coach Cut! :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch:
And if he keeps rockin' the house, he can say he will "never, never go away."

:D :ymdevil:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 10th, 2010, 11:42 pm

Mr. and Mrs. VDB joined me tonight at my dad's retirement from Duke tonight, it was a lot of fun. He graduated in '63, then went on to Duke med school and has worked at the hospital ever since. Even though he is now retired from his office, he'll never retire from actually working in some capacity at Duke. Congrats Dad!!!!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » April 11th, 2010, 4:17 am

Congrats to your father on his retirement...my own father is enjoying his much more than he thought he would.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 11th, 2010, 6:48 am

Good Morning. ~O)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 11th, 2010, 7:08 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Mr. and Mrs. VDB joined me tonight at my dad's retirement from Duke tonight, it was a lot of fun. He graduated in '63, then went on to Duke med school and has worked at the hospital ever since. Even though he is now retired from his office, he'll never retire from actually working in some capacity at Duke. Congrats Dad!!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » April 11th, 2010, 7:41 am

Good morning. ~O)
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » April 11th, 2010, 8:08 am

If only tenure & promotions were this easy! :D
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 11th, 2010, 8:10 am

Well, that's annoying. I made some of my selections for shirts from the Duke store for the championships based on the fact that the website said they had stock. Now it's telling me that 3 of the 4 are on back order, and they're gonna charge me full shipping price for each shipment. That is SO annoying.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » April 11th, 2010, 8:10 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
And it will look even better after we hang the 2011 banner beside it (knock on wood). :ymdevil:
Everyone has to graduate, right?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 11th, 2010, 8:38 am

Am watching last night's SNL, hosted by Tina Fey. Man, this show misses her.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein