LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Lavabe » March 10th, 2010, 6:46 am

wilson wrote:EarlJam is sitting on 747 posts at the moment. As an airplane buff, he missed a great "Milestones" opportunity.
Well, he probably could make up for it with a 777. And if he gets up to 1011...
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » March 10th, 2010, 7:56 am

Good morning ~O)
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 10th, 2010, 9:02 am

bjornolf wrote: Can I just buy an HD antenna and hook it up to my TV to get my local channels in HD for free? Or since it's HD ready, do I need some kind of analyzer to go with it? Do they even still broadcast the regular channels in HD over the air?

Thanks.

%%-
I believe the answer is yes, with an HD antenna you should be able to get the HD channels over the air. That's what I've always heard. Don't know if the antenna will come with any sort of box with it or not, or even what the type of cable connector it has (RGB component? AV? Coax F connector? HDMI?).
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » March 10th, 2010, 9:34 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
bjornolf wrote: Can I just buy an HD antenna and hook it up to my TV to get my local channels in HD for free? Or since it's HD ready, do I need some kind of analyzer to go with it? Do they even still broadcast the regular channels in HD over the air?

Thanks.

%%-
I believe the answer is yes, with an HD antenna you should be able to get the HD channels over the air. That's what I've always heard. Don't know if the antenna will come with any sort of box with it or not, or even what the type of cable connector it has (RGB component? AV? Coax F connector? HDMI?).
Bjornolf, as Oz was suggesting, the answer is yes. The HD channels (very small number) are transmitted over the airwaves and you can pick them up. It simply connects to RF/Antenna in with a Coax connector and you position it like a set of rabbit ears. Your HD TV most likely has a built in digital tuner to decode signals (some are obviously better than others) and you just go into setup and have your TV search for signals on the input source (antenna, cable, etc.). When I tried this initially when I got my HDTV , after the search completed I got channels like 7.1, 7.2, etc... It was just a test, but when I got a HD cable box from Comcast, I was very pleased, but had to obviously make a few more setup tweaks as they broadcast the same channels.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 10th, 2010, 10:30 am

cl15876 wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

Thanks.

%%-
Bjornolf, as Oz was suggesting, the answer is yes. The HD channels (very small number) are transmitted over the airwaves and you can pick them up. It simply connects to RF/Antenna in with a Coax connector and you position it like a set of rabbit ears. Your HD TV most likely has a built in digital tuner to decode signals (some are obviously better than others) and you just go into setup and have your TV search for signals on the input source (antenna, cable, etc.). When I tried this initially when I got my HDTV , after the search completed I got channels like 7.1, 7.2, etc... It was just a test, but when I got a HD cable box from Comcast, I was very pleased, but had to obviously make a few more setup tweaks as they broadcast the same channels.
There is a difference between being HD ready and having an HD (digital) tuner. My 2001 Toshiba is HD ready, and does a great job with my cable box, but if I ran the coax directly in, which I do to have an alternate input source, I can't tune to HD channels (like 5.1) with my (old) analog tuner (I just tested this to verify). My daughter's Vizio HD TV, which is only 2 years old, has a digital tuner which can access the local HD channels directly from her cable's coax input signal. Like I said in my original answer, I should be able to watch HD with an HD antenna, but I don't know exactly how channel selection would be accomplished.

So the question becomes "how old is your HD ready TV and does it have a digital tuner?"

DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » March 10th, 2010, 3:37 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote: I believe the answer is yes, with an HD antenna you should be able to get the HD channels over the air. That's what I've always heard. Don't know if the antenna will come with any sort of box with it or not, or even what the type of cable connector it has (RGB component? AV? Coax F connector? HDMI?).
There is a difference between being HD ready and having an HD (digital) tuner. My 2001 Toshiba is HD ready, and does a great job with my cable box, but if I ran the coax directly in, which I do to have an alternate input source, I can't tune to HD channels (like 5.1) with my (old) analog tuner (I just tested this to verify). My daughter's Vizio HD TV, which is only 2 years old, has a digital tuner which can access the local HD channels directly from her cable's coax input signal. Like I said in my original answer, I should be able to watch HD with an HD antenna, but I don't know exactly how channel selection would be accomplished.

So the question becomes "how old is your HD ready TV and does it have a digital tuner?"
These guys are giving you the right advice. Four things you need:
1) An antenna. Any kind will do. There's no such thing as an HD antenna.
2) An HD tuner. It's either built into your TV or it's not. If not, you need to buy one.
3) An HD capable TV
4) Be in range of an HD signal.

I have an HDTV with a built in tuner. I plugged an antenna directly into the TV to try to pick up the secondary WRAL-TV channels here in the Triangle (5.1, 5.2, 5.3, etc.). DirecTV only carries the main channel, so if I want one of the alternate feeds, I need to pick it up over the air.

I can barely get them here in SW Durham. The transmitter for WRAL is on Western Blvd in Raleigh, 30 miles away. My dinky antenna just can't pick them up well. You should research the location of where your local networks actually send out their OTA signal and see what kind of coverage you would get. In order to pick up WRAL I'd probably have to buy a larger antenna and possibly mount it in my attic or on the roof (yoinks!). Go to AntennaWeb and check out what signals are like in your area, and what kind of antenna would work for you.

http://www.antennaweb.org/
-- DukeUsul
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 10th, 2010, 4:24 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
Are you sure about the antenna? I know when WRAL first started broadcasting in HD (and they were the first station in the country to broadcast their local news in HD), they showed V-shaped HD antennas that you would need to get. While your current antenna may pick up a very strong signal, it's obviously not optimized for the HD signal. You might be doing yourself a big favor, reception-wise, if you follow your link and get yourself a new antenna. Walmart sells them too. http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng ... &Find=Find

DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » March 10th, 2010, 5:01 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:
Are you sure about the antenna? I know when WRAL first started broadcasting in HD (and they were the first station in the country to broadcast their local news in HD), they showed V-shaped HD antennas that you would need to get. While your current antenna may pick up a very strong signal, it's obviously not optimized for the HD signal. You might be doing yourself a big favor, reception-wise, if you follow your link and get yourself a new antenna. Walmart sells them too. http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng ... &Find=Find
Yeah, there really is no such thing as an HD antenna. Many antennas are branded as such because someone thought it would be a cool idea.
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/glossaryG.html#hdtv

There are many many types of antennas (directional or multi-directional for one). So you have a lot to choose from. If the geography between you and your signal is easy and close, a simple set of rabbit ears will work. If you have distance and objects blocking the signal, things get more complex.

If you want more information than you could possible want on the different types of antennas, I'd check out AVS Forums
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=381623
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=546066
-- DukeUsul
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » March 10th, 2010, 5:27 pm

I'm back home in Eland. I had a productive trip to Kenansville. I placed my house on the market and someone wants to buy my Lexus. :)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 10th, 2010, 5:52 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:I'm back home in Eland. I had a productive trip to Kenansville. I placed my house on the market and someone wants to buy my Lexus. :)
What house?
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » March 10th, 2010, 6:26 pm

Thanks for all the great information.

My TV is a 2001 Toshiba also, strangely. It is HD Ready, but does NOT have a tuner. That's why I asked.

It's really odd. I entered my address, and I got one antenna option and one channel. I entered my friend's address, who lives in my neighborhood, less than half a mile away, and it said he'd get a whole of both antenna options and channels. Strange. Guess I live in poor town. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » March 10th, 2010, 6:28 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:I'm back home in Eland. I had a productive trip to Kenansville. I placed my house on the market and someone wants to buy my Lexus. :)
WHAT? :-o :-o :-o :-o You are trying to sell your car and place your house up for sale? We have to talk... I have a clunker in my driveway and if I can get someone to buy it and my house, then I can move to NC! Woo hoo!!!!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 10th, 2010, 6:30 pm

cl15876 wrote:
WHAT? :-o :-o :-o :-o You are trying to sell your car and place your house up for sale? We have to talk... I have a clunker in my driveway and if I can get someone to buy it and my house, then I can move to NC! Woo hoo!!!!
=)) =)) =)) You could make the clunker part of the deal..."That's not a car, it's a playset for your kid!"
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » March 10th, 2010, 7:49 pm

bjornolf wrote:Thanks for all the great information.

My TV is a 2001 Toshiba also, strangely. It is HD Ready, but does NOT have a tuner. That's why I asked.

It's really odd. I entered my address, and I got one antenna option and one channel. I entered my friend's address, who lives in my neighborhood, less than half a mile away, and it said he'd get a whole of both antenna options and channels. Strange. Guess I live in poor town. ;)

%%-
Bjornolf - I didn't elaborate on the HD ready aspect of your post, confession 1. because I kind of breezed by it and 2. Not enough info and didn't want to make assumptions, but Oz and Dave picked up on the subtlety. What are you entering an address into? It almost sounds like when I moved here and kept checking with all the local providers to find out when broadband internet would be available and as an example, comcast kept saying next year, next year.... well my neighbors about 5 houses down called with a computer problem and said hey, we just got broadband (they happened to find out it was available by accident) and needed my help because the technicians didn't make it work correctly, so that is why I ask, because I proceeded to call them and low and behold it was available for my house also, however, their check it out online service DB indicated the opposite. (Talk about a business prevention strategy!) Anyways, was just curious!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » March 10th, 2010, 8:48 pm

If you sell your house in Kenansville, will but a new one so you can continue to go down there?
I worship the Blue Devil!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » March 10th, 2010, 9:43 pm

I was going to make lasagna tonight, but got some pizza stuff also!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » March 10th, 2010, 9:43 pm

I sat down and door bell rang...
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » March 10th, 2010, 9:44 pm

Oh, I forgot I made an appointment with a guy to talk about a home security system (the actual owner of this company showed up) as a result of meeting with one of his guys from the home show the kids and I went to a couple of weekends ago.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » March 10th, 2010, 9:44 pm

Guess I forgot because the bathroom guy I really wanted to talk to was a no show....
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » March 10th, 2010, 9:45 pm

We chatted for about a hour and half ....