Winter Olympics Thread: Vancouver 2010

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: Winter Olympics Thread: Vancouver 2010

Post by cl15876 » February 28th, 2010, 5:41 pm

I think I scared everyone watching me when I yelled ... YES, YES, AMAZING!!!!! What a game!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » February 28th, 2010, 5:54 pm

Crosby scores 7:40 into OT. Canada wins. Great game (at least, great 3rd period and OT).
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » February 28th, 2010, 5:54 pm

Lavabe wrote:Crosby scores 7:40 into OT. Canada wins. Great game (at least, great 3rd period and OT).
yep, great game!!!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 28th, 2010, 5:56 pm

Hopefully someone has a radiotransmitter on colchar, because all of Canada is erupting. I'm afraid colchar will be lost in the massive nationwide party. You can feel the collective WHEW!!

Miller is MVP of the tourney.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » February 28th, 2010, 6:18 pm

Lavabe wrote:Crosby scores 7:40 into OT. Canada wins. Great game (at least, great 3rd period and OT).
Indeed, and as an American, I can't feel too bad about it. We got silver. We over-achieved and almost pulled off another miracle. The loss will hurt for about an hour for this fan. For Canadians, this was everything. A loss in the gold medal game would have been absolutely devestating to Canadian fans.

Congrats to both Canada, the worthy gold medal winners, and to the United States for being such a formidable opponent and the winners of the silver. To me, this is one of those very rare moments where I can truly believe that both teams won.

Great game.

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » February 28th, 2010, 6:25 pm

I wonder if Colchar is buzzing right now.

:-?

-EJ
DukePA

Post by DukePA » February 28th, 2010, 6:26 pm

EarlJam wrote:
Indeed, and as an American, I can't feel too bad about it. We got silver. We over-achieved and almost pulled off another miracle. The loss will hurt for about an hour for this fan. For Canadians, this was everything. A loss in the gold medal game would have been absolutely devestating to Canadian fans.

Congrats to both Canada, the worthy gold medal winners, and to the United States for being such a formidable opponent and the winners of the silver. To me, this is one of those very rare moments where I can truly believe that both teams won.

Great game.

-EarlJam
My feelings exactly bro!! Very well put!
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » February 28th, 2010, 6:43 pm

And the U.S. wins the Olympics with 37 medals! As Hansbroawawijdagso;;km would say: WOW!
Class of 2014
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 28th, 2010, 9:48 pm

Closing ceremonies... crickets, so far. Scenes from Russia (the next Olympics).

Mr. Pluschenko is waving to everyone. :Boo:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 28th, 2010, 9:54 pm

Umm, did anyone get caught for doping or PED's?
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » February 28th, 2010, 10:10 pm

William Shatner just talked - he was actually pretty funny. And I didn't know he was Canadian.
Life is good!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 28th, 2010, 10:12 pm

Catherine O'Hara's curling entrance was pretty good.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » February 28th, 2010, 10:38 pm

Didn't Bob Costa say something about coming back after the break for more of the closing ceremonies? Next thing I know the new show "The Marriage Ref" is on. What's up with that?
Life is good!
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » February 28th, 2010, 10:56 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:William Shatner just talked - he was actually pretty funny. And I didn't know he was Canadian.
Mr. William Shatner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch#playnext=1 ... N3MGN899yE

It's basically WTF all the way through, but at 3:50, I mean, WTFF!?

-Captain James T. EarlJam
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 28th, 2010, 11:13 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:Didn't Bob Costa say something about coming back after the break for more of the closing ceremonies? Next thing I know the new show "The Marriage Ref" is on. What's up with that?
Yeah... NBC fashnoogled the transition. We saw the Marriage Ref. We're now in local news.

Good news for colchar: amazing, but the indoor cauldron actually dismantled perfectly.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » March 1st, 2010, 5:15 am

When Colchar recovers from his drunken stupor after that hockey game, I'm sure even he'll say how impressed he was with the Americans in that game. They gave the Canadians all they wanted and more. Congratulations to the Canadian team on their gold, and Congratulations to the American team on an unbelievable tournament as a whole. On home ice, with all those screaming fans, we took the annointed hockey gods to OT. That's saying something about the US team.

And the overall between the two, the US still won in goal differential. I think they should have to beat the US again to break the tie! Rematch! ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » March 1st, 2010, 6:14 am

Alanis Morisette: did she go through some plastic surgery or something??
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » March 1st, 2010, 10:46 pm

DukeUsul wrote:Hockey is such an ugly, sloppy sport. Pass.... skate.... turnover..... pass .... skate .... turnover..... turnover.... turnover

It's just awful to watch a sport where the players are constantly losing control of the puck/ball. Could you imagine watching a basketball game with this many turnovers, and only a half-dozen baskets being scored? I guess that's why they have so much hitting.

Hockey isn't necessarily a sloppy sport - that was just a sloppy game. Actually, the Canadians puck control wasn't what it should be for most of the tournament.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » March 1st, 2010, 10:54 pm

Lavabe wrote:Hopefully someone has a radiotransmitter on colchar, because all of Canada is erupting. I'm afraid colchar will be lost in the massive nationwide party. You can feel the collective WHEW!!

The party was amazing - hundreds of thousands of people watched the game in bars across the country and in many towns and cities they spilled out after the game for impromptu street parties. They had to shut down a portion of Toronto's downtown core and the same happened in the town where I live (albeit on a much smaller scale). That scene was repeated in cities and town's across the country. I'm not sure any of you can fully grasp what hockey means to us and how truly fanatical we are about it. We could've lost in every other event at the Olympics but so long as we had won at hockey it wouldn't have mattered.

There was a great national drunk going on up here last night but I didn't take part in any of the partying. My Dad emigrated to Canada from Scotland and knew nothing about hockey when he got here but, because he supported my hockey career for so many years, he long ago fell in love with the game and is a big time fan. He is old now and, because I am not sure how much longer he'll be with us, I have no idea how many more big games he has left in him. That being the case there was no way I would've been anywhere last night except watching the game with him. So we relaxed around the house and watched the game - I missed all of the partying but don't regret it one little bit.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » March 1st, 2010, 10:55 pm

EarlJam wrote:I wonder if Colchar is buzzing right now.

:-?

-EJ

Buzzing yes, but not from alcohol. See my other post in this thread for an explanation.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------