Winter Olympics Thread: Vancouver 2010

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Winter Olympics Thread: Vancouver 2010

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 16th, 2010, 2:45 pm

wilson wrote:CURLING ACTION on right now. The US men's squad is kind of getting pounded by Germany right now. They have another match vs. medal contender Norway tonight...not looking great.
Yipppee...I'm at work.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 16th, 2010, 2:50 pm

According to our arena analysts, the U.S. women curlers are a strong medal contender, having vaulted from a #81 finish in the 2008 world rankings to #5 in 2009. They open against Japan later this afternoon. I will watch this.
**== **== **==
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » February 16th, 2010, 4:20 pm

I'll watch US Women's curling only if Marge Simpson is sweeping.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » February 17th, 2010, 12:01 am

Bummer Jacobsen didn't win. Figure skating is still bullshit and I want a steak!
sMiles
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 17th, 2010, 8:25 am

Miles wrote:Bummer Jacobsen didn't win. Figure skating is still bullshit and I want a steak!
Yes... a real bummer about Jacobellis. :Ult Ninja: :Ult Ninja:

Get the feeling that they already have determined who will win the men's? I mean, short of Plushenko falling twice in the free skate, is there any way they are NOT awarding it to him?

What a crock! :Boo:

Day 1 of the Vonn Olympics. She's scheduled to ski sometime between 215 and 315 Eastern Time. All of America is waiting... :-ss :-ss :-ss :-ss :-ss
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 17th, 2010, 10:05 am

Tons of good stuff on today. U.S. women's curling vs. Germany this afternoon, Kikkan Randall (the best American cross-country skier ever) after that, then Shani Davis, Lindsey Vonn and Shaun White tonight. It's lucky that Duke has the early game tonight, as we should all have a good chance to see Davis, Vonn, and White do their thang.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 17th, 2010, 12:24 pm

The women choked nicely against Japan in curling yesterday. X(
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 17th, 2010, 2:35 pm

U.S. women's curling trails Germany very late. Medal hopes are dwindling quickly.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 17th, 2010, 2:41 pm

wilson wrote:U.S. women's curling trails Germany very late. Medal hopes are dwindling quickly.
And it's over. U.S. falls, 6-5.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 17th, 2010, 5:51 pm

Men's curling getting smoked (again) now, too. 4-0 Switzerland after just 3 ends. Looks like the 2010 American curling effort is going to go flat.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 17th, 2010, 6:18 pm

wilson wrote:Men's curling getting smoked (again) now, too. 4-0 Switzerland after just 3 ends. Looks like the 2010 American curling effort is going to go flat.
Not flat....straight.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 17th, 2010, 6:43 pm

wilson wrote:Men's curling getting smoked (again) now, too. 4-0 Switzerland after just 3 ends. Looks like the 2010 American curling effort is going to go flat.

The US is currently ranked 4th (men) and 6th (women) in the world so these early struggles are a bit of a surprise. I didn't expect much more than a bronze from either of the teams but I am surprised by how poorly they are doing.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 18th, 2010, 12:02 am

Well, after the curlers' inauspicious start to the day, USA really kicked ass today. It's been a lot of fun to watch.
Six medals, including three golds...one from Lindsey Vonn, showing Bode a thing or two about living up to the hype, a second from Shani Davis doing more of the same, and the capper, a masterful prime-time performance from Shaun White. His ebullience is really entertaining to me, and his athleticism should be celebrated.
**== **== **== **== **== **==
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 18th, 2010, 11:57 am

To pick up on wilson's comments, besides the Shaun White celebration, here are my favorite moments from last night:
1) Lindsey Vonn: not only was the actual run down the hill VERY well photographed, the coverage of her meeting her husband/coach was really touching. With all the buildup and coverage she received, you could just see how much she has had to deal with while delivering a great performance. You could also feel her shudder at each of the crashes that took place after her run. GREAT coverage of her last night. I wish they could have shown more of the skiing. Hard to have aa whole country trace your every step. A compelling event. Now about her mascara... ;)
2) Shani Davis: According to some press stories, he is known as one of the more individual/aloof people in speedskating, but the last lap of his race was just AMAZING. The guy epitomizes grace. And frankly, based on the interview after his gold, I very much like him and wish more athletes were like him.
3) Bode Miller: Well, not from last night, but he has really turned himself around, matured, and VERY likeable, despite his antics at the last Olympics. He pulled out a bronze in the downhill the other day.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » February 18th, 2010, 12:08 pm

Lavabe wrote:To pick up on wilson's comments, besides the Shaun White celebration, here are my favorite moments from last night:
1) Lindsey Vonn: not only was the actual run down the hill VERY well photographed, the coverage of her meeting her husband/coach was really touching. With all the buildup and coverage she received, you could just see how much she has had to deal with while delivering a great performance. You could also feel her shudder at each of the crashes that took place after her run. GREAT coverage of her last night. I wish they could have shown more of the skiing. Hard to have aa whole country trace your every step. A compelling event. Now about her mascara... ;)
2) Shani Davis: According to some press stories, he is known as one of the more individual/aloof people in speedskating, but the last lap of his race was just AMAZING. The guy epitomizes grace. And frankly, based on the interview after his gold, I very much like him and wish more athletes were like him.
3) Bode Miller: Well, not from last night, but he has really turned himself around, matured, and VERY likeable, despite his antics at the last Olympics. He pulled out a bronze in the downhill the other day.
Good summary, commentary! I wish I would have seen her race! BTW, I didn't realize she was married.... SHE or the TV has downplayed that aspect of her life (I thought she was single from a small country town), but glad it was pointed out... guess that will kill all the LW (Lindsey Whore) followers/groupies thinking they have a chance, because she was trying to keep something so obvious a secret to all the people for whatever her motivation (who supposedly know) for the benefit of availability, exposure and popularity!.... I don't think it really matters, if you have it then you have it and it accentuates her character of a TRUE WOMAN and ATHLETE!!!! :ymapplause: :-BD :-BD :-BD :-BD
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 18th, 2010, 6:51 pm

Lavabe wrote:
Miles wrote:Bummer Jacobsen didn't win. Figure skating is still bullshit and I want a steak!
Yes... a real bummer about Jacobellis. :Ult Ninja: :Ult Ninja:

Get the feeling that they already have determined who will win the men's? I mean, short of Plushenko falling twice in the free skate, is there any way they are NOT awarding it to him?

What a crock! :Boo:

Day 1 of the Vonn Olympics. She's scheduled to ski sometime between 215 and 315 Eastern Time. All of America is waiting... :-ss :-ss :-ss :-ss :-ss
ITA. I thought that Daisuke Takahashi and Evan Lysacek both out-skated Plushenko. Will be interesting to see how the long program plays out tonight.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm

colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 18th, 2010, 8:54 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:

If only...
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 18th, 2010, 11:22 pm

Evan Lysacek. WOW!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 19th, 2010, 5:49 am

Let the controversy begin:
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancou ... &type=lgns
Elvis Stojko thinks Plushenko was robbed of a gold.

Maybe it IS time for figure skating to go on hiatus (and watch the Olympics ratings drop).

I don't know... I thought Lysacek was robbed in the prelim, and Elvis thinks Plushenko was robbed in the long program.

Here's a novel idea: give them a third round where they have to trace figures in the ice, and whoever gets the figures closest to the ideal shape wins the competition. Yeah, and make it worth like 50% or more of their score. :D ;)

Nope. Not going back to the future.