LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Lavabe » February 13th, 2010, 9:47 am

wilson wrote:
Lavabe wrote:FYI, it's NBA all-star weekend. Tonight's the slam dunk contest.

Estimated TV audience: I'll set the over/under at 200,000.
Far more than 200,000 people will watch the dunk contest. Even though ratings have plummeted since the MJ/'Nique days, they'll still draw 6 or 7 million.
Slam Dunk contest is worthless.
Kill the NBA now.
Oh... come to think of it, aren't they having problems with their collective bargaining agreement?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 13th, 2010, 9:48 am

wilson wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
wilson wrote:Were they worth watching before that? Over/under on number of additional seasons they will exist: 2.
There was a time when they had Kovulchuk and Heatley. Those days were good.
If a good tree falls in the forest and nobody's there to hear it, does it still make a good sound?
Same argument applies to the NBA.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 13th, 2010, 9:49 am

Lavabe wrote:
wilson wrote:

Far more than 200,000 people will watch the dunk contest. Even though ratings have plummeted since the MJ/'Nique days, they'll still draw 6 or 7 million.
Slam Dunk contest is worthless.
Kill the NBA now.
Oh... come to think of it, aren't they having problems with their collective bargaining agreement?
Yes, they are having such problems (as is the NFL). But unless these leagues are run and populated entirely by idiots (which they may well be), they will not allow work stoppages to happen in today's economic climate.
And I'd disagree that the dunk contest is worthless now. It's not what it used to be, but Dwight Howard's performance a couple of years ago was quite a show.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 13th, 2010, 9:51 am

Lavabe wrote:
wilson wrote:
Lavabe wrote:There was a time when they had Kovulchuk and Heatley. Those days were good.
If a good tree falls in the forest and nobody's there to hear it, does it still make a good sound?
Same argument applies to the NBA.
Not really. You may not be watching the NBA, but lots and lots of people are, and the league is quite healthy. The same can not be said for the NHL, particularly in ill-advised expansion markets like Atlanta, Nashville, Miami, etc. Nobody here cares about the Thrashers. I enjoy going to the games, but don't particularly like watching hockey on TV, and I can't think of one single person I know who'd really self-identify as a Thrashers fan.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 13th, 2010, 10:00 am

wilson wrote:

I don't know.
In 2008, 6.3 million watched the all-star game, and ratings have dropped since then. The slam dunk contest receives fewer viewers than the all-star game. NOW add in the witching factors of:
1) Olympics
2) Valentine's Day

I suspect you're right in that it will be in the millions, but I don't see it getting more than 4.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 13th, 2010, 10:02 am

wilson wrote:And I'd disagree that the dunk contest is worthless now. It's not what it used to be, but Dwight Howard's performance a couple of years ago was quite a show.
Who?
;)
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 13th, 2010, 10:05 am

Lavabe wrote:
wilson wrote:And I'd disagree that the dunk contest is worthless now. It's not what it used to be, but Dwight Howard's performance a couple of years ago was quite a show.
Who?
;)
Oh, Lavabe...you curmudgeon, you. 8-|
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 13th, 2010, 10:07 am

DinK's niece is on my television right now.
She's still hot.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 13th, 2010, 10:22 am

wilson wrote: I enjoy going to the games, but don't particularly like watching hockey on TV, and I can't think of one single person I know who'd really self-identify as a Thrashers fan.

One of the biggest problems is that American broadcasters simply do not know how to broadcast a hockey game. Whenever we see American broadcasts up here they make us cringe because they are so bad. If hockey junkies like us have trouble watching them it is little wonder that Americans don't like watching the games on TV. Also, most American arenas have shitty camera placement which makes things worse. The combination of bad announcers, poor camera placement, and other technical issues can make for a really shitty broadcast. If Gary Buttman actually wanted the broadcasts to be good he would insist on broadcasters coming up here to learn from the CBC who do hockey better than anyone else in the world. Other Canadian broadcasters are good at it but nobody can touch the CBC.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 13th, 2010, 11:00 am

colchar wrote:
wilson wrote: I enjoy going to the games, but don't particularly like watching hockey on TV, and I can't think of one single person I know who'd really self-identify as a Thrashers fan.

One of the biggest problems is that American broadcasters simply do not know how to broadcast a hockey game. Whenever we see American broadcasts up here they make us cringe because they are so bad. If hockey junkies like us have trouble watching them it is little wonder that Americans don't like watching the games on TV. Also, most American arenas have shitty camera placement which makes things worse. The combination of bad announcers, poor camera placement, and other technical issues can make for a really shitty broadcast. If Gary Buttman actually wanted the broadcasts to be good he would insist on broadcasters coming up here to learn from the CBC who do hockey better than anyone else in the world. Other Canadian broadcasters are good at it but nobody can touch the CBC.
The first thing he would do is insist that the broadcasters superimpose a red or blue tail to the puck when it's passed or shot. They could then put on more sounds as well whenever the puck (err, ball) is touched.
:))
And LOTS of GoDaddy.com commercials.
:-BD
yeah... it COULD happen.

:D :)) =)) :D :D :D :D =)) =)) =)) :)) :)) :))
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 13th, 2010, 11:05 am

wilson wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
Who?
;)
Sorry... I'm now watching ESPN Gameday live from Rupp Arena, which is jam-packed with 24000 people at 11AM... FOR A TV SHOW ABOUT COLLEGE BASKETBALL.

By the way, Digger is such a dufus.
:tease:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 13th, 2010, 11:20 am

wilson wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
Who?
;)
Ahh... drafting.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 13th, 2010, 11:36 am

Lavabe wrote:
wilson wrote:Oh, Lavabe...you curmudgeon, you. 8-|
Ahh... drafting.
I have no idea what you're talking about.
:whistle: :-?? :-$ ;) :D
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 13th, 2010, 12:07 pm

As of right now, we have 98 registered users, and I really think there should be a prize for the 100th. So I'm gonna make a bold proclamation. I want to put up 50% of the cost of a free lifetime membership for that as-yet unknown member right now, and I will match all subsequent money donated toward the cost of the membership.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 13th, 2010, 12:26 pm

wilson wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
wilson wrote:Oh, Lavabe...you curmudgeon, you. 8-|
Ahh... drafting.
I have no idea what you're talking about.
:whistle: :-?? :-$ ;) :D
Imagine if Ymo had participated.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 13th, 2010, 1:18 pm

Quiet around here this afternoon. I wonder why that is...?
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 13th, 2010, 1:30 pm

colchar wrote:Quiet around here this afternoon. I wonder why that is...?
www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/chat :D
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 13th, 2010, 3:44 pm

Fell asleep while PWing.
:)) =)) =)) :)) :ymdevil: :ymdevil: =)) :))
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 13th, 2010, 4:37 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/chat :D

Oh I knew that. I was watching the game when I posted that.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 14th, 2010, 1:06 am

wilson wrote:As of right now, we have 98 registered users, and I really think there should be a prize for the 100th. So I'm gonna make a bold proclamation. I want to put up 50% of the cost of a free lifetime membership for that as-yet unknown member right now, and I will match all subsequent money donated toward the cost of the membership.
You are about a day late and a dollar short. Coach K already approved something like this.

devildeac wrote:On the horizon:

1. 55K posts
2. 1500 topics
3. 100 members

As an added incentive to reaching those lofty goals, I would humbly submit that management should offer some perks, like say, a 1 year free subscription to CTN for any current member who is directly responsible for recruiting/posting any/all of the above. Whaddaya think Coach K?

Great idea!

;) :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.