Winter Olympics Thread: Vancouver 2010

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: Winter Olympics Thread: Vancouver 2010

Post by wilson » February 5th, 2010, 11:13 pm

I have several things to say.
TV is good. HDTV is better. Snow on HDTV is best (assuming Vancouver, um, gets some snow in the next week or so). Also, I love the Olympics, summer and winter. The winter games are, to me, the more badass of the two, because nearly every event is predicated entirely on going fast. The four that I can think of that aren't predicated on speed are:
-Hockey: Obviously badass. I don't need to explain that, do I?
-Curling: Badass in that it's so square (figuratively of course), and that, while I understand it's no piece of cake, I sincerely feel that I could be pretty good at it given the opportunity.
-Ski jumping: I bet you've never flung yourself off the side of a mountain, to land 120 feet further down. I certainly haven't. This is unequivocably badass.
-Figure skating: Obviously not badass. In fact, it merits a sizable penalty against the winter games' overall badass quotient. Although there's perhaps an ironic badass-ness about any dude willing to twirl about in sequins in front of millions. And at any rate, figure skating's apparent lack of badass-ness is easily counterbalanced by rhythmic gymnastics, synchronized swimming, and race walking.
I confess that I don't at this point know a great deal about individual athletes, save the familiar faces of Apolo Anton Ohno, Shaun White, et. al. However, I will definitely read up a lot more as the games approach, and I will watch them on TV every day. :flags-usa: :happy-wavemulticolor: :flags-usa:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 5th, 2010, 11:15 pm

wilson wrote: -Figure skating: Obviously not badass. In fact, it merits a sizable penalty against the winter games' overall badass quotient. Although there's perhaps an ironic badass-ness about any dude willing to twirl about in sequins in front of millions.
:)) :)) =)) =))
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » February 6th, 2010, 5:09 pm

wilson wrote:And at any rate, figure skating's apparent lack of badass-ness is easily counterbalanced by rhythmic gymnastics, synchronized swimming, and race walking.
You putz... I was a racewalker in high school through my college years. X( X( X( ;)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » February 6th, 2010, 5:13 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Nothing to add. I just wanted to see the pictures again! :D
In that case, look at the controversial SI cover shot of Lindsey Vonn:
http://www.sindhtoday.net/wp-content/up ... cover_.jpg
Why is it controversial?
Too "sexualized:"
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/2010 ... story.html
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 8th, 2010, 12:08 am

Lavabe wrote:
wilson wrote:And at any rate, figure skating's apparent lack of badass-ness is easily counterbalanced by rhythmic gymnastics, synchronized swimming, and race walking.
You putz... I was a racewalker in high school through my college years. X( X( X( ;)
Let me make it clear that I in no way intended to belittle race walking. It is not, however, badass. Similarly, I recognize the athletic and technical prowess required for figure skating, but the fact remains that it is not badass.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 8th, 2010, 10:48 am

Rolvix wrote: We might have to disagree as well...
In fact, most of the world might have to disagree with you. :D

Only because most of the world haven't been exposed to real sports and therefore know little of anything other than soccer.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 8th, 2010, 10:54 am

wilson wrote:I have several things to say.
TV is good. HDTV is better. Snow on HDTV is best (assuming Vancouver, um, gets some snow in the next week or so). Also, I love the Olympics, summer and winter. The winter games are, to me, the more badass of the two, because nearly every event is predicated entirely on going fast. The four that I can think of that aren't predicated on speed are:
-Hockey: Obviously badass. I don't need to explain that, do I?
Speed can be a major factor in hockey.
-Curling: Badass in that it's so square (figuratively of course), and that, while I understand it's no piece of cake, I sincerely feel that I could be pretty good at it given the opportunity.
Trust me, it is waaay harder than it looks (at least it is if you want to accomplish anything or be any good at it) and it takes a very long time to become good at it.
-Ski jumping: I bet you've never flung yourself off the side of a mountain, to land 120 feet further down. I certainly haven't. This is unequivocably badass.
It looks ridiculously cool (and badass) and I would love to try it. Too bad I am as afraid of heights as I am as that dictates that I will never ever have the guts to try it. But I do love watching it.
-Figure skating: Obviously not badass. In fact, it merits a sizable penalty against the winter games' overall badass quotient. Although there's perhaps an ironic badass-ness about any dude willing to twirl about in sequins in front of millions.
I hate figure skating because it is so ridiculously corrupt. I've been reading reports (if I can remember which papers I read them in I will link them here) stating that the medal order has already been decided. Seriously, this so-called sport has to go until it is cleaned up. I also hate figure skating because the picks on their skates ruin the ice in hockey arenas - but that's another story altogether.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 8th, 2010, 10:57 am

Who is the idiot (or who are the idiots) who made that claim? I tried to read the story you linked but got a 'server too busy' message. Care to offer a summary?
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » February 8th, 2010, 11:35 am

colchar wrote:.... been exposed to real sports and ....
OMG, you have to check this out! http://www.wikio.com/video/2591947!!! :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) One must do their warmups and stretches in less restrictive apparel! :)) :)) :)) =)) =)) =)) =)) I saw this on the news when it happened and cracked up!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » February 8th, 2010, 11:37 am

Basically, every women's advocacy group around says that the men who are on the cover are usually in action shots, actually doing their sport. She is posed is an overly crouched position with her butt sticking out more. She's also not wearing her helmet and has her hair done and makeup on. They think it's basically a glorified swimsuit shot. Other people say "hey, it's not like she's in a bikini sitting in a hot tub." Personally, I think it's a pretty stupid controversy overall. My wife thought it was a cool picture.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » February 8th, 2010, 11:40 am

bjornolf wrote:... it's a pretty stupid controversy overall. My wife thought it was a cool picture.

%%-
Agree! i think it is a fabulous shot! :-BD
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » February 8th, 2010, 12:29 pm

bjornolf wrote:Basically, every women's advocacy group around says that the men who are on the cover are usually in action shots, actually doing their sport. She is posed is an overly crouched position with her butt sticking out more. She's also not wearing her helmet and has her hair done and makeup on. They think it's basically a glorified swimsuit shot. Other people say "hey, it's not like she's in a bikini sitting in a hot tub." Personally, I think it's a pretty stupid controversy overall. My wife thought it was a cool picture.

%%-
Right just like this one. It's almost as if they just took a picture of Dwight Howard at a game!

I agree Joe. Stupid controversy.
http://crookfromthebrook.files.wordpres ... 01909.jpeg
-- DukeUsul
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 10th, 2010, 8:25 pm

Looks like Vonn may be hobbled by an injury:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/11/sport ... njury.html
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 12th, 2010, 2:43 pm

Tragically, a Georgian luge athlete has been seriously seriously hurt in a practice run. I saw video of the crash shortly after it happened (there is virtually no chance they will replay the clip as it was very disturbing) and if the athlete survives it will be a miracle. A sad sad way to start the Olympics and my heart goes out to his teammates and family.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 12th, 2010, 2:49 pm

colchar wrote:Tragically, a Georgian luge athlete has been seriously seriously hurt in a practice run. I saw video of the crash shortly after it happened (there is virtually no chance they will replay the clip as it was very disturbing) and if the athlete survives it will be a miracle. A sad sad way to start the Olympics and my heart goes out to his teammates and family.
Very sad indeed...vibes for the slider and his/her family.
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 12th, 2010, 2:54 pm

I have just learned that this evening's Opening Ceremony will be the first ever staged indoors and that, according to organizers, it will stress "emotion" rather than putting on a visual spectacle. I'm skeptical about all of this. Coupled with the following list of prominent Canadian performers (sorry, colchar), I might honestly fall asleep:
-Sarah McLachlan
-Nelly Furtado
-Bryan Adams
*According to some reports, the above three have been spotted going to/from rehearsals. Yeccch.
Other potential performers:
-Shania Twain
-Celine Dion
-Avril Lavigne
Yikes. At least maybe Rush will be there.

Does anyone know any more about the ceremony? Is it at least going to be on ice?
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 12th, 2010, 3:05 pm

wilson wrote:I have just learned that this evening's Opening Ceremony will be the first ever staged indoors and that, according to organizers, it will stress "emotion" rather than putting on a visual spectacle. I'm skeptical about all of this. Coupled with the following list of prominent Canadian performers (sorry, colchar), I might honestly fall asleep:
-Sarah McLachlan
-Nelly Furtado
-Bryan Adams
*According to some reports, the above three have been spotted going to/from rehearsals. Yeccch.
Other potential performers:
-Shania Twain
-Celine Dion
-Avril Lavigne
Yikes. At least maybe Rush will be there.

Does anyone know any more about the ceremony? Is it at least going to be on ice?

The ceremony will be indoors. Adams and Furtado are singing a duet. I don't like any of the performers that I've heard about thus far. I think the ceremony will suck and I am curious as to how badly we will fuck this up.

There is still no word on who will light the torch. I'm hoping it is Betty Fox (mother of Terry Fox) as are most people polled up here. Then again, my roommates and I have been talking about possible candidates all day and we are fairly certain that we'll be pissed off/disgusted by the pick.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 12th, 2010, 3:08 pm

wilson wrote:
colchar wrote:Tragically, a Georgian luge athlete has been seriously seriously hurt in a practice run. I saw video of the crash shortly after it happened (there is virtually no chance they will replay the clip as it was very disturbing) and if the athlete survives it will be a miracle. A sad sad way to start the Olympics and my heart goes out to his teammates and family.
Very sad indeed...vibes for the slider and his/her family.
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

They just replayed the video (I'm absolutely disgusted that they did so) and said that the injuries suffered by the athlete are life-threatening. He was doing 144.3kmh when he came off the track and slammed into a huge metal track support. I will be shocked if this athlete survives as photos I've seen do not look good. This is tragic, absolutely tragic.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 12th, 2010, 3:16 pm

colchar wrote:There is still no word on who will light the torch. I'm hoping it is Betty Fox (mother of Terry Fox) as are most people polled up here. Then again, my roommates and I have been talking about possible candidates all day and we are fairly certain that we'll be pissed off/disgusted by the pick.
Who is Terry Fox? My money's on Gretzky.
And will the Opening Ceremony be on ice, or just in an arena?
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » February 12th, 2010, 3:24 pm

wilson wrote:
colchar wrote:There is still no word on who will light the torch. I'm hoping it is Betty Fox (mother of Terry Fox) as are most people polled up here. Then again, my roommates and I have been talking about possible candidates all day and we are fairly certain that we'll be pissed off/disgusted by the pick.
Who is Terry Fox? My money's on Gretzky.
And will the Opening Ceremony be on ice, or just in an arena?
Wasn't Terry Fox the runner with the wooden prosthetic leg? I remember an HBO movie about him (I think).
sMiles