LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 12th, 2009, 11:02 pm

devildeac wrote:1 registered and 5 guests? What?
Did they bring anything?
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 12th, 2009, 11:03 pm

Off to bed. Tomorrow's gonna be a full day..work, pack car, work, get oysters, drive to Durham, hopefully get there in time to see some of game.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » November 12th, 2009, 11:56 pm

Bostondevil wrote:To be a successful Rom/Com Queen, the girls have got to like you.
I liked her in "Knocked up."
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » November 12th, 2009, 11:58 pm

Bostondevil wrote: He can do both! (See Harrison Ford, Tom Hanks, Mel Gibson) Plus, you've got Matt Damon for action movies. He's never done a Rom-com (and why not, I ask you, why not?)
Too short.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » November 13th, 2009, 12:02 am

bjornolf wrote:I see you your Phantom, and raise you Timeline, Tomb Raider 2, Shooters, Attila, Dracula 2000, and Tomorrow Never Dies, ALL of which came before Phantom. And his accent does things for me that I don't care to mention in mixed company. We had him first, dangit!

%%-
You forgot Reign of Fire. (It was just on TV the other night.)

It also had Matthew McConaghy - who is only attractive in beachy flicks, and is tan, sweaty and shirtless. (See recent RomCom with Kate Hudson.)
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » November 13th, 2009, 12:06 am

DevilAlumna wrote:
Bostondevil wrote: He can do both! (See Harrison Ford, Tom Hanks, Mel Gibson) Plus, you've got Matt Damon for action movies. He's never done a Rom-com (and why not, I ask you, why not?)
Too short.
He's 5'10"! He towers over Tom Cruise.

And AD, I'll admit I haven't seen How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. Perhaps I'll give it a try. I like Matthew McConaghey, his Wooderson was classic, but he's no Hugh Grant when it comes to romantic comedies. I'd rather see him in a buddy picture.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » November 13th, 2009, 12:12 am

Rolvix wrote:Oh, and @DevilAlumna: I am taking a weekend long diving class next weekend... Apparently I have to read a pretty long book about it that I have yet to start! x_x Any tips on the class itself?

I think we (My college roommates daughter and I) are going to be doing most of the dives with instructors during our sailing trip.
If it's a book written by PADI, you can blow through it pretty quickly, particularly if you use your critical reading skills. Read the objectives at the front of each chapter, read the summaries at the end of each chapter; skim for headings and bold words, and you'll learn most of what you need to know. There will be open book quizzes/knowledge reviews - these are usually asked/answered verbatim from the text; and a closed book final.

Besides the instructor, there may be some other assistants hanging around - they are either dive masters or students wanting to be dive masters. All of these folks (including the instructor) have a lot of experience to share - get them talking about diving and dive stories and dive equipment, and you'll learn a lot more than just what's in the book.

Lastly, have fun and enjoy! Diving is, to me, much more of a zen way of exploring places that most folks will never ever see in their lifetimes, than an athletic activity that you power through. Slow down, breathe (this is a really key part of diving, actually ;) ) relax, and you'll have a great time!
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » November 13th, 2009, 12:15 am

Bostondevil wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote:
Too short.
He's 5'10"! He towers over Tom Cruise.

And AD, I'll admit I haven't seen How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. Perhaps I'll give it a try. I like Matthew McConaghey, his Wooderson was classic, but he's no Hugh Grant when it comes to romantic comedies. I'd rather see him in a buddy picture.
I knew you were going to mention Cruise. ;) But he's FAR too short. And has he ever been in a RomCom? (I think we determined that Jerry Maguire didn't count.)

And I was actually thinking of Fool's Gold, but How to Lose was a better movie - start there, even tho he's not shirtless as much (if at all) in that one. He's also tan and sandy and shirtless in Sahara.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » November 13th, 2009, 12:20 am

DukieInKansas wrote:I think Jason Statham from the Transporter movies is hot.

I need to find some more of his movies to see if this holds true. I've only seen the ads for the Transporter movies and most of Transporter 2.
He is hot. But I can't in good conscience recommend any of his movies, particularly not Crank.

Did you know he was an Olympic diver for the UK?
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=jas ... &FORM=BIFD#

Another guy who looks great shirtless. (Why is this a theme tonight?)
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » November 13th, 2009, 12:24 am

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:We had so much rain that some counties cancelled school today..ours has a two hour delay. I don't get the two hour delay..in two hours it's still going to be raining. I don't get the cancellations either.
I saw pix on the news here with 1-2 feet of water on some roads on Emerald Isle. Is it that bad in Morehead?
Dang, so that's where all our November rain has gone -- you guys are getting it all in 48 hours what we normally get in a month! We've had three beautiful, 50's & sunny days out here. That's unheard of for this time of year.

What's better is it's been dry here, but snowing in the mountains - 2 of 4 of the ski areas have already opened for the season!! :D :D
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 13th, 2009, 12:57 am

Bostondevil wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote:
Too short.
He's 5'10"!
Ladies, I've never though being 5'9" was too short for anything! And given the right script (and leading lady), I'd love to do a RomCom!
Last edited by OZZIE4DUKE on November 13th, 2009, 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » November 13th, 2009, 1:02 am

OK DA, Matt Damon is TALLER than Mel Gibson, how's that? Yes, he's shorter than George and Brad and even Hugh but only by one inch. He is not too short for a romantic comedy. C'mon Matt, make one! Just one, if you don't like it, you can go back to being a bad ass.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » November 13th, 2009, 1:09 am

You East-coasters are up Late!!
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » November 13th, 2009, 1:14 am

30 Rock's writing tonight was awesome. At least 5 laugh-out-loud moments before the 2nd commercial break.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » November 13th, 2009, 1:34 am

I went to imdb.com, and guess what, Gerard shares a birthday with our very own Sue.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 13th, 2009, 3:16 am

DevilAlumna wrote:You East-coasters are up Late!!
That's the problem when you sleep from ~ 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. in a (legally) drug induced state. You lie awake when you go to bed until you finally get up and post at 3 a.m.!

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » November 13th, 2009, 3:53 am

DevilAlumna wrote:I knew you were going to mention Cruise. ;) But he's FAR too short. And has he ever been in a RomCom? (I think we determined that Jerry Maguire didn't count.)
No, IIRC, no debate or poll ever resolved that point. Here is why it IS a rom-com:
1) Romance? Yes. Comedy? Yes. Funny scene where the romantic leads romance each other? Yes.
2) The basic plot line follows the standard rom-com/traditional musical theme. Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl; girl meets boy, girl loses boy, girl gets boy.
3) Standard rom-com actor? No, but standard rom-com actress? Hey... it had Bridget Jones before she was Bridget Jones. So YES, had rom-com actress.
4) Supporting comedy character actors? Yes (Bonnie Hunt and Cuba Gooding Jr.).
5) Has repeated cutaways to a person who reflects on love? Yes.
6) Lots of scenes with a little kid, with lots of discussion about parenthood. Yes.
7) Has a wedding scene. Yes. With comedic value? Yes.

Reasons why it isn't a rom-com seem to be centered around:
1) Too much sports (which would sort of rule out Forget Paris, that Billy Crystal-Debra Winger one in which Crystal is a basketball ref).
2) Doesn't have anyone with a British accent (which would sort of rule out Dave)
3) The lead actor hadn't previously appeared in another rom-com (which would sort of rule out WHMS).
4) The director, Cameron Crowe, didn't do another rom-com.
5) If you repeat three times that Jerry Maguire isn't a rom-com, then I guess it isn't. ;)

:D
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » November 13th, 2009, 3:54 am

In my case, no, I am up early. :(
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 13th, 2009, 4:01 am

Lavabe wrote:
In my case, no, I am up early. :(
I'm still up too late. :(

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » November 13th, 2009, 5:30 am

Lavabe wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote:I knew you were going to mention Cruise. ;) But he's FAR too short. And has he ever been in a RomCom? (I think we determined that Jerry Maguire didn't count.)
No, IIRC, no debate or poll ever resolved that point. Here is why it IS a rom-com:
1) Romance? Yes. Comedy? Yes. Funny scene where the romantic leads romance each other? Yes.
2) The basic plot line follows the standard rom-com/traditional musical theme. Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl; girl meets boy, girl loses boy, girl gets boy.
3) Standard rom-com actor? No, but standard rom-com actress? Hey... it had Bridget Jones before she was Bridget Jones. So YES, had rom-com actress.
4) Supporting comedy character actors? Yes (Bonnie Hunt and Cuba Gooding Jr.).
5) Has repeated cutaways to a person who reflects on love? Yes.
6) Lots of scenes with a little kid, with lots of discussion about parenthood. Yes.
7) Has a wedding scene. Yes. With comedic value? Yes.

Reasons why it isn't a rom-com seem to be centered around:
1) Too much sports (which would sort of rule out Forget Paris, that Billy Crystal-Debra Winger one in which Crystal is a basketball ref).
2) Doesn't have anyone with a British accent (which would sort of rule out Dave)
3) The lead actor hadn't previously appeared in another rom-com (which would sort of rule out WHMS).
4) The director, Cameron Crowe, didn't do another rom-com.
5) If you repeat three times that Jerry Maguire isn't a rom-com, then I guess it isn't. ;)

:D
I think it's a little too serious and poignant to really qualify for the comedy part. Yes, it's a good movie, and definitely a romance, and there are definitely funny parts, but I think they're more comic relief from all the serious parts than a true comedy. I would argue that Risky Business is more of a rom-com (in the early 80s sense when they were less developed) than JM. If JM is a rom-com, then I would argue that so is "Far and Away". It has as many funny parts and as much romance as JM. As does "Color of Money". ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage