Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by DevilAlumna » November 10th, 2009, 1:25 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:When you renew your driver's license, do you have to take anything other than the eye test? (No accidents or tickets in years)
Ya gotta know the road signs. Show up about 15 minutes early (we can make an appointment for our renewals) and look over the card they give you with all the road signs on it. They'll ask you to ID 10 or 20 of them.
In Kansas, you have to take the written test. However, they send you the test and you take the completed test in - so it is an open book test. Last time, I skipped a question and was going to look it up. I forgot to go back and put in an answer. When I turned it in - she didn't ask me to answer it - she just counted it wrong. I thought that stunk.
In Washington, I was able to renew online, no eye test, nothin'. 4 days later, my license showed up in my mailbox. :D You can only do this every other renewal, but that means you only have to go to a DMV once every 10 years. Sweet.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » November 10th, 2009, 3:10 am

Sleepless in Cincy. Well, I got 4 hours...

Tried logging into CTN a couple times but IE and FF couldn't find the website.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » November 10th, 2009, 6:19 am

It's Tuesday.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » November 10th, 2009, 6:23 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Where's Wilson?
Busy with his exam or exam preps. He'll reappear after they're done.

Where's captmojo?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » November 10th, 2009, 6:33 am

CathyCA wrote:
Rolvix wrote:I'm back from the interview and sort of disappointed. The interview went great. The problem was Mr. Stubbs wasn't the one who interviewed me! One of his partners did. (A UNC grad nonetheless -- although Stubbs is a UNC grad as well). I could tell he didn't know exactly what to ask me and it's sort of difficult to just start talking about yourself without being prompted to. Basically I told him my SAT and ACT scores, my Class Rank, why I chose New Bern High School over a private school like Parrot Academy, what I do in my free time (guitar, read - I left out video games), activities (soccer, tennis, wakeboarding, snowboarding), Haiti, why I want to attend Duke, what other schools I applied to, and maybe a few other things. We did have a nice conversation on Duke vs. UNC basketball this year. He thinks Duke will be better even though he IS a UNC grad (I'm capitalizing it this time because he was one of the most respectable UNC fans I've met).

Sadly, I didn't get a chance to talk about my adventures at Boys State or LITs (Leader In Training my sophomore summer - aKa "The Best/Most Difficult Experience of My Life").

Although it may seem like a lot, compared to the Wake Forest interview, I feel like we only scratched the surface of what he could have learned about me. Heck, basically everything I told him he could have learned by looking at my application, and more! The only things that he couldn't have learned would have been that I wear a blazer to interviews and that he knows my dad.

He did tell me that he hopes I get into Duke. After making sure I know that it is basically New Jersey in the south. (Which I subtly/nonconfrontationally countered citing a statistic about NC, FL, CA, and NY students making up the majority)
This is so bizarre. I think you could discreetly make a call to the Admissions office and inquire about getting an interview with a REAL alumni admissions interviewer. I think you're entitled to a "do-over" with a Duke grad.

As for his ignorant comments about NJ in the south, I'm so proud of you for setting him straight.
Hey, being a native New Jerseyite, I resemble that remark! ;) :-bd

But I agree completely with CathyCA's comment. A discrete call is proper. Kudos to DukeUsul for his response as well.

How many North Carolina alumni admissions interviewers are there?
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » November 10th, 2009, 6:51 am

DukieInKansas wrote: In Kansas, you have to take the written test. However, they send you the test and you take the completed test in - so it is an open book test. Last time, I skipped a question and was going to look it up. I forgot to go back and put in an answer. When I turned it in - she didn't ask me to answer it - she just counted it wrong. I thought that stunk.
There's a really nasty joke in there somewhere about the average intelligence of drivers in Kansas that they have to get a take home, untimed, open book test, but I'm not gonna go there, cause I like DinK too much. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » November 10th, 2009, 7:36 am

DevilAlumna wrote:
In Washington, I was able to renew online, no eye test, nothin'. 4 days later, my license showed up in my mailbox. :D You can only do this every other renewal, but that means you only have to go to a DMV once every 10 years. Sweet.
Yeah that's the way NC is. I think CB&B is coming up on the ten year renewal.
-- DukeUsul
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 10th, 2009, 8:09 am

DukeUsul wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote:
Yeah that's the way NC is. I think CB&B is coming up on the ten year renewal.
8 Years I think. They mail the license to you now, regardless of how you get it. If you are getting a replacement license because you lost it or are moving, you can get it all done online.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » November 10th, 2009, 9:43 am

bjornolf wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote: In Kansas, you have to take the written test. However, they send you the test and you take the completed test in - so it is an open book test. Last time, I skipped a question and was going to look it up. I forgot to go back and put in an answer. When I turned it in - she didn't ask me to answer it - she just counted it wrong. I thought that stunk.
There's a really nasty joke in there somewhere about the average intelligence of drivers in Kansas that they have to get a take home, untimed, open book test, but I'm not gonna go there, cause I like DinK too much. ;)

%%-
And because you are such a sweetheart (dinner to Bones, caring for your parents, wonderful dad, etc.), I'll ignore the fact that you really wanted to slam my state. If youw want, you could narrow it down to a county that I don't live in - drivers from Wyandotte county seem to need some extra help. :D
Life is good!
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » November 10th, 2009, 12:20 pm

Sigh. Sometimes you just have one of those days. That was yesterday. Today is turning out to be ten times worse.
-- DukeUsul
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » November 10th, 2009, 1:00 pm

DukeUsul wrote:Sigh. Sometimes you just have one of those days. That was yesterday. Today is turning out to be ten times worse.
Sending some vibes!!!
(I really like your avatar)
Class of 2014
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » November 10th, 2009, 1:01 pm

One time I saw a Boa Constrictor crossing the street in Cary (before my friend accidentally ran over it).
Class of 2014
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » November 10th, 2009, 1:06 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
Rolvix wrote:I'm back from the interview and sort of disappointed. The interview went great. The problem was Mr. Stubbs wasn't the one who interviewed me! One of his partners did. (A UNC grad nonetheless -- although Stubbs is a UNC grad as well). I could tell he didn't know exactly what to ask me and it's sort of difficult to just start talking about yourself without being prompted to. Basically I told him my SAT and ACT scores, my Class Rank, why I chose New Bern High School over a private school like Parrot Academy, what I do in my free time (guitar, read - I left out video games), activities (soccer, tennis, wakeboarding, snowboarding), Haiti, why I want to attend Duke, what other schools I applied to, and maybe a few other things. We did have a nice conversation on Duke vs. UNC basketball this year. He thinks Duke will be better even though he IS a UNC grad (I'm capitalizing it this time because he was one of the most respectable UNC fans I've met).

Sadly, I didn't get a chance to talk about my adventures at Boys State or LITs (Leader In Training my sophomore summer - aKa "The Best/Most Difficult Experience of My Life").

Although it may seem like a lot, compared to the Wake Forest interview, I feel like we only scratched the surface of what he could have learned about me. Heck, basically everything I told him he could have learned by looking at my application, and more! The only things that he couldn't have learned would have been that I wear a blazer to interviews and that he knows my dad.

He did tell me that he hopes I get into Duke. After making sure I know that it is basically New Jersey in the south. (Which I subtly/nonconfrontationally countered citing a statistic about NC, FL, CA, and NY students making up the majority)
Wow I'm really to sorry to hear that you didn't get to interview with an alum. Half of the point of the interview is to give you an opportunity to pick an alum's brain on the school and for us to sell the school to you.

I'll PM you my info if you have any questions that haven't been answered.
If I think of any I will definitely talk to you, thanks! I'm sure I'll probably get in touch with you if I do in fact get into Duke.
Class of 2014
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » November 10th, 2009, 1:07 pm

CathyCA wrote:
This is so bizarre. I think you could discreetly make a call to the Admissions office and inquire about getting an interview with a REAL alumni admissions interviewer. I think you're entitled to a "do-over" with a Duke grad.

As for his ignorant comments about NJ in the south, I'm so proud of you for setting him straight.
I should... Apparently this guy rarely actually does the interviews. My friends older brother didn't get interviewed by Stubbs even though he was supposed to (he ended up at unc).
Class of 2014
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » November 10th, 2009, 1:16 pm

Rolvix wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

I should... Apparently this guy rarely actually does the interviews. My friends older brother didn't get interviewed by Stubbs even though he was supposed to (he ended up at unc).
That's just sad. I'd normally recommend you complain to the Alumni Admissions Advisory Committee in your area, but I'm sure you'd be reticent to do that, considering the influence they may be able to have on your application. That's a tough situation to be in. Interview notes are required to be submitted by Nov 15, maybe you can contact admissions after that date and lodge a complaint, once it's too late for Mr. Stubbs to possibly take negative action against you for making a complaint.

Here are the list of AAAC contacts. The local chairperson in your area is the one who manages who conducts interviews.
http://www.dukealumni.com/olc/pub/DUKE/ ... ons_2.html
-- DukeUsul
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » November 10th, 2009, 1:20 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
Rolvix wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

That's just sad. I'd normally recommend you complain to the Alumni Admissions Advisory Committee in your area, but I'm sure you'd be reticent to do that, considering the influence they may be able to have on your application. That's a tough situation to be in. Interview notes are required to be submitted by Nov 15, maybe you can contact admissions after that date and lodge a complaint, once it's too late for Mr. Stubbs to possibly take negative action against you for making a complaint.

Here are the list of AAAC contacts. The local chairperson in your area is the one who manages who conducts interviews.
http://www.dukealumni.com/olc/pub/DUKE/ ... ons_2.html
I might do that. I'm waiting to see if my two other ED friends are interviewed by him or not (tomorrow)... I don't' want to complain if he actually does normally do them.
Class of 2014
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 10th, 2009, 1:56 pm

Rolvix wrote:One time I saw a Boa Constrictor crossing the street in Cary (before my friend accidentally ran over it).
One of mine almost made it to freedom yesterday..I had him in a different cage and hadn't shut the lid as well as I thought.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » November 10th, 2009, 2:05 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Rolvix wrote:One time I saw a Boa Constrictor crossing the street in Cary (before my friend accidentally ran over it).
One of mine almost made it to freedom yesterday..I had him in a different cage and hadn't shut the lid as well as I thought.
That's so cool! I want to meet your snake sometime.
Class of 2014
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 10th, 2009, 2:15 pm

Rolvix wrote:
:twitch:
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » November 10th, 2009, 3:04 pm

Rolvix wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: One of mine almost made it to freedom yesterday..I had him in a different cage and hadn't shut the lid as well as I thought.
:twitch:
:))
Class of 2014