LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by cl15876 » October 29th, 2009, 7:49 pm

colchar wrote:So, as some of you know, I've been thinking about buying a guitar. I want to get a Les Paul but simply cannot justify the cost at the moment - especially as there is a very real likelihood that I will be on strike as of 12:01am October 31st. Yeah, apparently us T.A.s are going on strike. Whatever.

Anyway, I had talked to my family and they had agreed that, instead of buying me anything for Christmas, they would just give me money that could be put towards a guitar so I figured I would wait until then to buy one. Since I can't justify the cost of a Les Paul at the moment I figured I would buy an Ibanez as they make very good entry-level guitars (obviously in the hope that you will always buy their products afterwards) and then buy a Les Paul afterwards.

Well, I bought an Ibanez today and managed to get a better model than I had thought because the store had mislabeled an Ibanez GRG170DX, which retails for $299-$350 here in Canada, as a GRX20 which retails for $199. When speaking to one of the store managers he didn't notice their mistake and, when I took it to the cash register, they just looked at the model info and price on the price tag and charged me what was printed there. So I ended up getting the GRG170DX for $199 before tax. I thought that was a pretty sweet deal!!!

Since I might end up on strike I was a little hesitant to part with the money but I figured there was no way I would find as good a deal anywhere else and that I should buy it before the store realized their mistake and corrected the price.

So, although I may be a bit poorer, I've got myself a great mid level guitar for an entry level price. If I'm not around here much in the next little while you know where I'll be - playing with my new baby ;)
Will you teach me? Once I get a new string for my air guitar which popped two strings tonight, I'll be ready!!!! ;)
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » October 29th, 2009, 9:13 pm

windsor wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:It's so nice to have a quiet day at work. I've been working on this: http://www.recovery.gov/News/featured/P ... orted.aspx for a major government agency and man has it been crazy! Today's the last day for agencies to review data submitted by recipients of stimulus funds. Everyone at this agency is using my system to review the data and report back to the White House on the quality.

I've spent ten years doing IT for the government, and this the first time I've ever worked on something this cool and visible. It's getting some real press: http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/163263.html

Sorry. Gotta brag to someone.

I need a day off now.

If you can't brag here where can you brag? Looks like some very cool stuff (big honkin' data sets make me giddy)

What were you working on (as much as you can share, of course)...

very cool. very cool in a geek kind of way :-B :ymapplause: :-B :ymapplause: :-B :ymapplause:
Well the recipients of stimulus funds (mostly states) have to report to the White House every quarter on what they did with the money, who they hired, how many jobs were created, etc. The federal agencies responsible for doling out the grants have to review all the submissions for accuracy and make sure the estimated job creation numbers are realistic.

So I'm leading a team that takes the data reported by the recipients and puts it into a big data mart, combined with the agency's own financial records for the grants, plus data from each individual program in the agency that doled out the grants. On top of the data mart we put business intelligence tool to allow for detailed reporting and analysis of the reported data - focusing on comparing what the recipients reported to what the agency's own internal systems show. We also built a tool that allows teams within the agency to collaboratively write up an official comment back to the White House, providing comments/corrections to individual records that appear inaccurate.

We basically did all this in the last 5-6 weeks.
-- DukeUsul
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 29th, 2009, 9:52 pm

Good job DukeUslu. :ymapplause:
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » October 30th, 2009, 12:32 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Record us a video!

When I learn how to play again I might just do that.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 30th, 2009, 5:48 am

DukeUsul wrote:That's awesome. I know what it's like to get a new instrument. Enjoy! I'm jealous.
I'm not even gonna "touch" that one. :poke:

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » October 30th, 2009, 7:35 am

bjornolf wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:That's awesome. I know what it's like to get a new instrument. Enjoy! I'm jealous.
I'm not even gonna "touch" that one. :poke:

%%-

Bjornolf, you are one very, very sick puppy.
I worship the Blue Devil!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 30th, 2009, 7:51 am

lull (-|
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 30th, 2009, 8:12 am

Halloween at the office....should I be frightened that no one thought I was in costume? :))
geeksquad.jpg
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 30th, 2009, 8:17 am

windsor wrote:Halloween at the office....should I be frightened that no one thought I was in costume? :))
geeksquad.jpg
I can't tell for certain, but I don't think you have enough pens in your pocket :roll: :-B ;) :D .
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 30th, 2009, 8:23 am

devildeac wrote:
windsor wrote:Halloween at the office....should I be frightened that no one thought I was in costume? :))
geeksquad.jpg
I can't tell for certain, but I don't think you have enough pens in your pocket :roll: :-B ;) :D .

But I have half a dozen flash drives, a usb hub on my belt a NASA tie pin...plus my take a computer apart McGyver tool....
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 30th, 2009, 8:41 am

Leaving for Richmond today for my 50th high school reunion. I'm excited. It will be tomorrow night, Halloween night. I thought about dressing up to look like I did in '59 but decided I didn't need too. I haven't changed much. :D :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) I'll be \:D/ and having a lot of fun. Will drink some :beer:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 30th, 2009, 8:53 am

windsor wrote:
devildeac wrote:
geeksquad.jpg

But I have half a dozen flash drives, a usb hub on my belt a NASA tie pin...plus my take a computer apart McGyver tool....
OK, you qualify. :)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 30th, 2009, 9:31 am

chirp, chirp
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » October 30th, 2009, 10:01 am

Ah Friday. Parents flying in tonight for a Halloween weekend with us. Looking forward to it.
-- DukeUsul
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 30th, 2009, 10:18 am

DukeUsul wrote:Ah Friday. Parents flying in tonight for a Halloween weekend with us. Looking forward to it.
Have a great time!!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 30th, 2009, 11:32 am

I'm actually having a busy work friday. Dentist office got flooded by sprinkler system, that was a good start. Amazing that most of their computers still work. They are ripping out all of their carpets today..looked like a lot of fun for someone else.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 30th, 2009, 11:36 am

geeksquad.jpg
That's awesome! :-B
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » October 30th, 2009, 12:47 pm

colchar wrote:So, as some of you know, I've been thinking about buying a guitar. I want to get a Les Paul but simply cannot justify the cost at the moment - especially as there is a very real likelihood that I will be on strike as of 12:01am October 31st. Yeah, apparently us T.A.s are going on strike. Whatever.

Anyway, I had talked to my family and they had agreed that, instead of buying me anything for Christmas, they would just give me money that could be put towards a guitar so I figured I would wait until then to buy one. Since I can't justify the cost of a Les Paul at the moment I figured I would buy an Ibanez as they make very good entry-level guitars (obviously in the hope that you will always buy their products afterwards) and then buy a Les Paul afterwards.

Well, I bought an Ibanez today and managed to get a better model than I had thought because the store had mislabeled an Ibanez GRG170DX, which retails for $299-$350 here in Canada, as a GRX20 which retails for $199. When speaking to one of the store managers he didn't notice their mistake and, when I took it to the cash register, they just looked at the model info and price on the price tag and charged me what was printed there. So I ended up getting the GRG170DX for $199 before tax. I thought that was a pretty sweet deal!!!

Since I might end up on strike I was a little hesitant to part with the money but I figured there was no way I would find as good a deal anywhere else and that I should buy it before the store realized their mistake and corrected the price.

So, although I may be a bit poorer, I've got myself a great mid level guitar for an entry level price. If I'm not around here much in the next little while you know where I'll be - playing with my new baby ;)
Awesome! Congratulations buddy. Sounds like a great investment. And don't worry about spending the cash right before you go on strike. Having the guitar is actually going to save you money. Whenever you're bored, you've got free entertainment. Looking forward to your first power-chord masterpiece.
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » October 30th, 2009, 12:48 pm

geeksquad.jpg
01000001 01110111 01100101 01110011 01101111 01101101 01100101 00101110
sMiles
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » October 30th, 2009, 12:57 pm

So we had Senior Night last night against Laney, a team that beat us 5 - 0 earlier in the season. We somehow managed to pull out a 1 - 0 victory!!!
It was a great last game. :D

http://varsity.newbernsj.com/articles/n ... vided.html
Class of 2014