LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by DevilAlumna » October 22nd, 2009, 2:19 pm

Bostondevil wrote: The phrase 'Break a leg' comes from understudies wishing ill on the principal actors so that they might get a chance to perform. It became so commonplace for understudies to wish ill upon the performers that they became used to it and therefore superstitious about getting messages of good luck. Now it's everybody, not just the understudies, who tell performers to 'Break a leg'. In France, performers say 'Merde' to one another instead of good luck, for much the same reason. But you all knew that, right?
Huh. I was always told that "break a leg" was in reference to the performers' final bow. If they had such an ovation that it needed to be recognized by a deeper-than-normal bow/curtsy, they would "break a leg" to get lower.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » October 22nd, 2009, 2:36 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:
Bostondevil wrote: The phrase 'Break a leg' comes from understudies wishing ill on the principal actors so that they might get a chance to perform. It became so commonplace for understudies to wish ill upon the performers that they became used to it and therefore superstitious about getting messages of good luck. Now it's everybody, not just the understudies, who tell performers to 'Break a leg'. In France, performers say 'Merde' to one another instead of good luck, for much the same reason. But you all knew that, right?
Huh. I was always told that "break a leg" was in reference to the performers' final bow. If they had such an ovation that it needed to be recognized by a deeper-than-normal bow/curtsy, they would "break a leg" to get lower.
Huh, I've never heard that one. I like it though. And wilson, of course I knew about 'The Scottish Play'. I'm so bad I don't even like to quote or name it when I'm NOT in a theater. And now that you mention it, I think the bitten bullet I saw was indeed a chewed up musket ball.

You know that 'deadline' dates to the Civil War as well, yes? It comes from the prison at Andersonville. If a prisoner crossed the 'deadline', he was shot by the guards. How it came to mean turning your term paper in on time I'm not exactly sure.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 22nd, 2009, 2:54 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:
I had always heard DAs version.

Apparently either may be correct - or neither

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Break_a_leg
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 22nd, 2009, 3:26 pm

Bostondevil wrote:You know that 'deadline' dates to the Civil War as well, yes? It comes from the prison at Andersonville. If a prisoner crossed the 'deadline', he was shot by the guards. How it came to mean turning your term paper in on time I'm not exactly sure.
I'd rather not talk about deadlines right now. :-o ^#(^ :-ss ~x( :-t :(( :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading:
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » October 22nd, 2009, 3:32 pm

Aw, my poor baby wilson. You know I'd read a book for you if I could.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 22nd, 2009, 6:51 pm

I just posted on the DBArrr! :ar! for the first time in months. I might need a shower.
Actually, I'm strongly considering reading book the last on the day in the tub. Haven't had a bath in a while (verboten with a fresh tattoo).
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » October 22nd, 2009, 7:08 pm

I know how to read...and I'm quite proud of myself for it.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » October 22nd, 2009, 8:36 pm

wilson wrote:I'd rather not talk about deadlines right now. :-o ^#(^ :-ss ~x( :-t :(( :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading:

Got something due?
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » October 22nd, 2009, 8:42 pm

I'd just like to say that having bronchitis sucks. It really sucks.

The head and chest cold I thought I had was actually a sinus infection and a dose of bronchitis. I've had bronchitis countless times (I started getting it as a child) and, every time I get it, I realize just how much it sucks. Hopefully my plan to quit smoking at the end of the month might help reduce the frequency of my boughts of bronchitis. Being prone to it since childhood makes me think that I'll still get it with some regularity but hopefully the frequency will decrease as will the length of each occurrence.

Regardless, having it right now sucks. To make matters worse, I have mid-terms to grade. Sucks to be me...
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 22nd, 2009, 9:00 pm

colchar wrote:
wilson wrote:I'd rather not talk about deadlines right now. :-o ^#(^ :-ss ~x( :-t :(( :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading:

Got something due?
You're joking, right?
Did you get my PM?
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » October 22nd, 2009, 9:01 pm

colchar wrote:I'd just like to say that having bronchitis sucks. It really sucks.

The head and chest cold I thought I had was actually a sinus infection and a dose of bronchitis. I've had bronchitis countless times (I started getting it as a child) and, every time I get it, I realize just how much it sucks. Hopefully my plan to quit smoking at the end of the month might help reduce the frequency of my boughts of bronchitis. Being prone to it since childhood makes me think that I'll still get it with some regularity but hopefully the frequency will decrease as will the length of each occurrence.

Regardless, having it right now sucks. To make matters worse, I have mid-terms to grade. Sucks to be me...
That sucks. Hang tough, buddy. I quit smoking 17 1/2 years ago and haven't had nearly as many sinus infections or bouts of bronchitis as I used to get. I recommend lots of fluid and vitamin C. How do you plan to quit? I used the patch.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 22nd, 2009, 9:03 pm

Driving to northern New Jersey tomorrow. Blasted Enterprise... their website says FORD FUSION AVAILABLE. When I got there, nada!!

Well, it's a new Pontiac G6. Not the same, but it will do (w/XM to boot!).

OZ: Will try to stop at Harold's!!

Stocking up with Ronnie's Bagels.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » October 22nd, 2009, 9:06 pm

wilson wrote:I just posted on the DBArrr! :ar! for the first time in months.
Were you drunk?!?

I might need a shower.
Or perhaps some penicillin?
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » October 22nd, 2009, 9:07 pm

wilson wrote: You're joking, right?
No, I was really asking. But now I get the feeling that comps are fast approaching.
Did you get my PM?
Still nothing (I also replied to this question in the other thread).
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 22nd, 2009, 9:19 pm

DukePA wrote:
colchar wrote:I'd just like to say that having bronchitis sucks. It really sucks.

That sucks. Hang tough, buddy. I quit smoking 17 1/2 years ago and haven't had nearly as many sinus infections or bouts of bronchitis as I used to get. I recommend lots of fluid and vitamin C. How do you plan to quit? I used the patch.
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: from Atlanta, too.
And remember, we're good at helping people to quit smoking around here.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » October 22nd, 2009, 9:25 pm

DukePA wrote:

I'm thinking of using the patch as well. A former roommate is using it right now and says it has really helped so I am hoping that it will work for me as well.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 22nd, 2009, 9:42 pm

colchar wrote:

I'm thinking of using the patch as well. A former roommate is using it right now and says it has really helped so I am hoping that it will work for me as well.
No matter what you pick, make sure to order up a big dose of CTN vibes - those vibes + chantix have been working for me....it has been since 8/12 !
The patch didn't work very well for me personally - but I do know quite a few folks who have quit using it

Advanced wave of quit smoking vibes

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DukePA

Post by DukePA » October 22nd, 2009, 9:48 pm

windsor wrote:
colchar wrote:

No matter what you pick, make sure to order up a big dose of CTN vibes - those vibes + chantix have been working for me....it has been since 8/12 !
The patch didn't work very well for me personally - but I do know quite a few folks who have quit using it

Advanced wave of quit smoking vibes

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
I wish Chantix had been available when I quit. It's a fantastic med.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 22nd, 2009, 9:57 pm

wilson wrote:I just posted on the DBArrr! :ar! for the first time in months. I might need a shower.
Actually, I'm strongly considering reading book the last on the day in the tub. Haven't had a bath in a while (verboten with a fresh tattoo).
I saw your post over yonder and fully intended to give you a healthy ration of #%&$ about it. :)) :)) =)) =))

You do need a good cleansing. :roll:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 22nd, 2009, 9:58 pm

colchar wrote:
wilson wrote:I just posted on the DBArrr! :ar! for the first time in months.
Were you drunk?!?

I might need a shower.
Or perhaps some penicillin?
That's even funnier. :)) :)) =)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.