LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by wilson » October 14th, 2009, 11:59 pm

Bostondevil wrote:
wilson wrote:I've got Unfaithful on right now. I find this film highly compelling for some reason.
Olivier Martinez?
Heh. I'm shocked--shocked, I say--that you feel that way. I just think it's a jarring, compelling movie.
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » October 15th, 2009, 1:05 am

Agreed.

But Olivier Martinez is hot. (He and Juliette Binoche were an item for awhile.)

Speaking of movies about infidelity, I watched Little Children the other night. I found it very depressing. Spoiler Alert!

I can't help but think that the couple having the affair truly loved each other. As Brad says, she believes in him. We all need somebody who believes in us. So I didn't find them each going back to their respective spouses to be a happy or even comforting ending, at all.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 15th, 2009, 5:33 am

Now that Ymo has high-speed home internet service, any ideas when he'll have another 1,000-post day? Come to think of it, what WAS the final post count that he tallied on 09/09/09?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » October 15th, 2009, 6:55 am

I remember Dennis Martinez. He pitched for the Expos and a half-dozen other MLB teams.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » October 15th, 2009, 6:56 am

Lavabe wrote:Now that Ymo has high-speed home internet service, any ideas when he'll have another 1,000-post day? Come to think of it, what WAS the final post count that he tallied on 09/09/09?
That day was a confluence of events, most particularly having free time due to being in between jobs. Now if we get snow shortly, I may have more free time.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 15th, 2009, 7:44 am

YmoBeThere wrote:I remember Dennis Martinez. He pitched for the Expos and a half-dozen other MLB teams.
He threw a perfect game in 1991.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 15th, 2009, 7:48 am

CellR wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote: Sorry I missed this! How did it go, CellR?
Yes...inquiring minds want to know!
Thanks for the vibes everyone!

It went about as expected... Wake County is extremely strict about underage alcohol. Anywhere else and I probably could have gotten off with a few hours of community service. Instead, I was given the choice of attending two consecutive 9 - 5 Saturday classes or attending 15 open AA meetings. The AA meetings would have been quite an experience, and I would be required to write a one-page summary after each one. The problem is, we don't know if the meetings in New Bern are open or not, which could be a problem.

I decided to take the two classes in early January (Lord knows how I fit it into my schedule!). They should be interesting...

I was called in front of the judge, and he asked me what I was doing in Cary. I told him I was there for a concert. He asked me why I was drinking and I told him that I was holding a drink for a friend. "Harsh consequence" was all he had to say...

The guy behind me (An NC State freshman) didn't get off so easy. The judge told him that if he already had a possession ticket after two weeks of college, he would be an accomplished felon by the time he got his diploma. The defendant agreed. Then the judge asked why he wanted to be in the South Light program (the one I'm in). He mumbled something about getting it off his record.

Apparently his answer wasn't up to par because the next thing I hear is "Why don't you go sit back down and think about why you want to be in this program? Come back and tell me when you think of a good reason."

Ouch. The judge didn't press me like that. Maybe it was because I was actually dressed nicely (the only one there) and my dad was standing beside me?

Anyways, hopefully I never have to go through that again...
You are so fortunate to have the support of your family through this. Not every kid is as lucky as you are.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 15th, 2009, 7:53 am

colchar wrote:
CellR wrote:
It went about as expected... Wake County is extremely strict about underage alcohol. Anywhere else and I probably could have gotten off with a few hours of community service. Instead, I was given the choice of attending two consecutive 9 - 5 Saturday classes or attending 15 open AA meetings. The AA meetings would have been quite an experience, and I would be required to write a one-page summary after each one. The problem is, we don't know if the meetings in New Bern are open or not, which could be a problem.

I decided to take the two classes in early January (Lord knows how I fit it into my schedule!). They should be interesting...

I was called in front of the judge, and he asked me what I was doing in Cary. I told him I was there for a concert. He asked me why I was drinking and I told him that I was holding a drink for a friend. "Harsh consequence" was all he had to say...

The guy behind me (An NC State freshman) didn't get off so easy. The judge told him that if he already had a possession ticket after two weeks of college, he would be an accomplished felon by the time he got his diploma. The defendant agreed. Then the judge asked why he wanted to be in the South Light program (the one I'm in). He mumbled something about getting it off his record.

Apparently his answer wasn't up to par because the next thing I hear is "Why don't you go sit back down and think about why you want to be in this program? Come back and tell me when you think of a good reason."

Ouch. The judge didn't press me like that. Maybe it was because I was actually dressed nicely (the only one there) and my dad was standing beside me?

I'm glad that it worked out well for you but I still cannot fathom how over the top they are being about this. Absolutely fucking ridiculous! It was a beer not a vial full of heroin!!!!! And the judge telling that college student that he would be an accomplished felon by the time he graduated is so over the top that it is unbelievable. He really needs to lighten up and grab some fucking perspective.

Up here in Canada we are nowhere near as anal as this about booze. Had this happened here you would've been made to pour out the drink and might not even have gotten a fine. If you did get a fine it would've been given right there and there would have been no court date. The fine would've been $107 and you wouldn't have any kind of record afterwards (it is the equivalent of a parking ticket). Then again, up here simple possession of a small amount of pot (up to an ounce) gets you a fine and no criminal record.

I'm so sorry to hear that a simple teenage right of passage (getting caught with booze even if it wasn't your booze) has ended up being such a ridiculous hassle for you.

ETA: I forgot to mention that it is also legal for women to go topless here. Not just on a nude beach, but walking down the street! With laws as liberal as ours my gast is completely flabbered by your situation!
Why would anyone want to go topless in Canada? It's freaking COLD up there. For that matter, why would anyone want to go to the beach in Canada? Your beaches are WAY too cold.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 15th, 2009, 8:18 am

CathyCA wrote: Why would anyone want to go topless in Canada? It's freaking COLD up there. For that matter, why would anyone want to go to the beach in Canada? Your beaches are WAY too cold.
You make a good point. Very pointy, in fact! =)) =)) =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 15th, 2009, 8:38 am

CathyCA wrote: You are so fortunate to have the support of your family through this. Not every kid is as lucky as you are.
Ditto to that. Glad things went OK CellR, even though I agree with Colchar on being over the top. I'd hate to face that judge for shoplifting, might get a life sentence. In the long run, you will have a good story to tell your own kids. I would have gone to the two classes, the AA meetings would have been a bit strange being that you aren't an alcoholic. I don't agree with that being an option.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 15th, 2009, 8:54 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:the AA meetings would have been a bit strange being that you aren't an alcoholic. I don't agree with that being an option.
I can see it now
Hello, my name is CellR. I am not an alcoholic. I just held someone else's beer for a minute.
Nope, not gonna fly. That judge is bordering on being an idiot. Like the school board that wanted the 6 year old to go to the "school for bad kids" for bringing his Swiss Army camping tool to first grade to use to eat lunch with (using the knife, fork and spoon). Glad the school board relented on their Zero Tolerance policy.

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 15th, 2009, 9:02 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Hello, my name is CellR. I am not an alcoholic. I just held someone else's beer for a minute.
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 15th, 2009, 9:06 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
I was thinking more like this:
Hello, my name is CellR. I am not an alcoholic. But after reading the CTN "Ymm, Beer" thread, I'd like to know more about porters, stouts, barleywines, and beer floats. And oh yeah, Bud Light stinks.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » October 15th, 2009, 9:16 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
Miles wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote: Well, I would point out that she married you. ;)

Actually, that was a very smart move on her part.
I liked WHMS also - but I don't see/remember enough movies to be able to classify any of them. I treat some of the Arnold movies - like Commando - as a comedy cuz I laugh at a lot of the lines.
You can come over and watch old Arnie movies anyday! I freaking love Commando, it is hysterical. Same goes for Stallone whenever he isn't boxing or killing people in Southeast Asia.
I actually showed up at a late soccer game one night and confessed to watching 2 Arnold movies back to back. I felt like I should attend a 12 step program.

Favorite line in Commando: after holding a guy over the edge of a cliff by the ankle and then dropping him after obtaining the necessary information - "Oh, him - I let him go"
Hehe, Sully is also the benefactor of my favorite line in Commando. It doesn't come across well in text, but the look on Arnie's face and his delivery as he says "I lied" right when he drops Sully off the cliff always gets a giggle out of me.
sMiles
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » October 15th, 2009, 9:56 am

Commando is what started me on my infatuation with Alyssa Milano.
-- DukeUsul
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 15th, 2009, 10:42 am

I always loved the line about letting off some steam.

My favorite Arnie movie for the one liners has got to be the original Predator, though the best lines in the movie are probably Jesse "the Body" Ventura's. He has some true classics. "I ain't got time to bleed" is one of my all-time favorites, and the whole scene with the special pill is hysterical.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » October 15th, 2009, 11:03 am

CathyCA wrote:
colchar wrote:
CellR wrote:

I'm glad that it worked out well for you but I still cannot fathom how over the top they are being about this. Absolutely fucking ridiculous! It was a beer not a vial full of heroin!!!!! And the judge telling that college student that he would be an accomplished felon by the time he graduated is so over the top that it is unbelievable. He really needs to lighten up and grab some fucking perspective.

Up here in Canada we are nowhere near as anal as this about booze. Had this happened here you would've been made to pour out the drink and might not even have gotten a fine. If you did get a fine it would've been given right there and there would have been no court date. The fine would've been $107 and you wouldn't have any kind of record afterwards (it is the equivalent of a parking ticket). Then again, up here simple possession of a small amount of pot (up to an ounce) gets you a fine and no criminal record.

I'm so sorry to hear that a simple teenage right of passage (getting caught with booze even if it wasn't your booze) has ended up being such a ridiculous hassle for you.

ETA: I forgot to mention that it is also legal for women to go topless here. Not just on a nude beach, but walking down the street! With laws as liberal as ours my gast is completely flabbered by your situation!
Why would anyone want to go topless in Canada? It's freaking COLD up there. For that matter, why would anyone want to go to the beach in Canada? Your beaches are WAY too cold.

We do have four seasons up here. Winter is cold, spring is mixed, summer is hot, fall is mixed (we're actually having a cold one this year). There are plenty of summer days that are 90+ degrees.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » October 15th, 2009, 11:07 am

bjornolf wrote:I always loved the line about letting off some steam.

My favorite Arnie movie for the one liners has got to be the original Predator, though the best lines in the movie are probably Jesse "the Body" Ventura's. He has some true classics. "I ain't got time to bleed" is one of my all-time favorites, and the whole scene with the special pill is hysterical.

%%-
I need to see Predator again. That was one of the two movies in my Arnie double feature confession.
Life is good!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 15th, 2009, 11:30 am

Lavabe wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
I was thinking more like this:
Hello, my name is CellR. I am not an alcoholic. But after reading the CTN "Ymm, Beer" thread, I'd like to know more about porters, stouts, barleywines, and beer floats. And oh yeah, Bud Light stinks.
:)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 15th, 2009, 3:33 pm

Heading to the mountains to visit my youngin! Please excuse my absence! :) :x