sMiles
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Miles » October 14th, 2009, 7:19 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
bjornolf wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:You are just agreeing with my original point that When Harry Met Sally isn't a true chick flick.
You said that When Harry Met Sally is not a romantic comedy. Now you're saying that your original point was that it isn't a true chick flick. I guess that means that ALL romantic comedies MUST be chick flicks? That seems a little narrow-minded. My understanding of the definition of a romantic comedy is that it is a comedy with a theme based around romantic relationships (as opposed to familial relationships). I never realized that they HAD to be chick flicks. My wife LOVED When Harry Met Sally. I guess she's just weird.

%%-
Well, I would point out that she married you. ;)

Actually, that was a very smart move on her part.
I liked WHMS also - but I don't see/remember enough movies to be able to classify any of them. I treat some of the Arnold movies - like Commando - as a comedy cuz I laugh at a lot of the lines.
You can come over and watch old Arnie movies anyday! I freaking love Commando, it is hysterical. Same goes for Stallone whenever he isn't boxing or killing people in Southeast Asia.
sMiles
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » October 14th, 2009, 7:23 pm

Miles wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:
bjornolf wrote:"quote="Bostondevil""You are just agreeing with my original point that When Harry Met Sally isn't a true chick flick."/quote"

You said that When Harry Met Sally is not a romantic comedy. Now you're saying that your original point was that it isn't a true chick flick. I guess that means that ALL romantic comedies MUST be chick flicks? That seems a little narrow-minded. My understanding of the definition of a romantic comedy is that it is a comedy with a theme based around romantic relationships (as opposed to familial relationships). I never realized that they HAD to be chick flicks. My wife LOVED When Harry Met Sally. I guess she's just weird.

%%-

I liked WHMS also - but I don't see/remember enough movies to be able to classify any of them. I treat some of the Arnold movies - like Commando - as a comedy cuz I laugh at a lot of the lines.
You can come over and watch old Arnie movies anyday! I freaking love Commando, it is hysterical. Same goes for Stallone whenever he isn't boxing or killing people in Southeast Asia.
HEY, those are great movies!!!!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » October 14th, 2009, 7:33 pm

Miles wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:
bjornolf wrote:quote="Bostondevil" You are just agreeing with my original point that When Harry Met Sally isn't a true chick flick. /quote

%%-

I actually showed up at a late soccer game one night and confessed to watching 2 Arnold movies back to back. I felt like I should attend a 12 step program.

Favorite line in Commando: after holding a guy over the edge of a cliff by the ankle and then dropping him after obtaining the necessary information - "Oh, him - I let him go"
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 14th, 2009, 7:50 pm

Bostondevil wrote:
wilson wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:Notting Hill for example, both a better Julia Roberts movie and it has Hugh Grant, the best rom-com hero since Cary.
Yes. But really, when it comes to rom-coms, there's When Harry Met Sally... and there's everything else.
Aw, wilson, we disagree on something. I'll appeal to The Lovelies on this on, a true chick flick has to have a guy you'd want to be with in it. Billy Crystal doesn't do it for any of us. When Harry Met Sally is a comedy, but it's not a romantic comedy.
Sorry, wilson, I agree with Bostondevil on this one. In fact, before seeing her response earlier, I was going to say that there are far better chick flicks starring Julia Roberts. Notting Hill is definitely exhibit A.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 14th, 2009, 7:53 pm

Bostondevil wrote:
wilson wrote:[quote="Bostondevil]
Aw, wilson, we disagree on something. I'll appeal to The Lovelies on this on, a true chick flick has to have a guy you'd want to be with in it. Billy Crystal doesn't do it for any of us. When Harry Met Sally is a comedy, but it's not a romantic comedy.
Bostondevil wrote:Look at real life, Billy Crystal had no shot with Meg Ryan.
Fine; I'll very comfortably offer up Sleepless in Seattle next.
OK, done. But I love Notting Hill. And Four Weddings and a Funeral, and Bridget Jones' Diary and, shoot me, Music and Lyrics (except for the scene with Campbell Scott, what a waste).[/quote]
How about The Wedding Date?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 14th, 2009, 7:57 pm

CellR wrote:Send me some vibes for my court date tomorrow!
Sorry I missed this! How did it go, CellR?
-- Albert Einstein
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » October 14th, 2009, 8:00 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:
wilson wrote:"quote="Bostondevil"
Bostondevil wrote:Look at real life, Billy Crystal had no shot with Meg Ryan."/quote"
Fine; I'll very comfortably offer up Sleepless in Seattle next.
OK, done. But I love Notting Hill. And Four Weddings and a Funeral, and Bridget Jones' Diary and, shoot me, Music and Lyrics (except for the scene with Campbell Scott, what a waste).
How about The Wedding Date?

AD, GREAT call!!!! "The Wedding Date" is awesome! :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » October 14th, 2009, 8:03 pm

windsor wrote:

Oh crap...I've been nutso busy with a deployment at work...didn't see this until now....

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

I hope the vibes a retroactive and everything went well for you!
The same has happened to me!!!!! Belated and retro vibes and prayers to you, CELL-R! :ympray: :ympray: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: CellR, please let us know how things went!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 14th, 2009, 8:03 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Yes...inquiring minds want to know!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 14th, 2009, 8:55 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
He seems to be absent. I hope he is celebrating and not drowning his sorrows, but not drinking anything harder than iced tea in either case!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » October 14th, 2009, 9:05 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:"quote="CellR""Send me some vibes for my court date tomorrow!"/quote"
He seems to be absent. I hope he is celebrating and not drowning his sorrows, but not drinking anything harder than iced tea in either case!
OR at least PUT ME ON the VISIT LIST!!!!! Guess we should have planned ahead!!! \m/ :-ss :-ss :-ss \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » October 14th, 2009, 10:33 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Thanks for the vibes everyone!

It went about as expected... Wake County is extremely strict about underage alcohol. Anywhere else and I probably could have gotten off with a few hours of community service. Instead, I was given the choice of attending two consecutive 9 - 5 Saturday classes or attending 15 open AA meetings. The AA meetings would have been quite an experience, and I would be required to write a one-page summary after each one. The problem is, we don't know if the meetings in New Bern are open or not, which could be a problem.

I decided to take the two classes in early January (Lord knows how I fit it into my schedule!). They should be interesting...

I was called in front of the judge, and he asked me what I was doing in Cary. I told him I was there for a concert. He asked me why I was drinking and I told him that I was holding a drink for a friend. "Harsh consequence" was all he had to say...

The guy behind me (An NC State freshman) didn't get off so easy. The judge told him that if he already had a possession ticket after two weeks of college, he would be an accomplished felon by the time he got his diploma. The defendant agreed. Then the judge asked why he wanted to be in the South Light program (the one I'm in). He mumbled something about getting it off his record.

Apparently his answer wasn't up to par because the next thing I hear is "Why don't you go sit back down and think about why you want to be in this program? Come back and tell me when you think of a good reason."

Ouch. The judge didn't press me like that. Maybe it was because I was actually dressed nicely (the only one there) and my dad was standing beside me?

Anyways, hopefully I never have to go through that again...
Class of 2014
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » October 14th, 2009, 10:38 pm

CellR wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote: quote="CellR" Send me some vibes for my court date tomorrow! /quote
Thanks for the vibes everyone!

It went about as expected... Wake County is extremely strict about underage alcohol. Anywhere else and I probably could have gotten off with a few hours of community service. Instead, I was given the choice of attending two consecutive 9 - 5 Saturday classes or attending 15 open AA meetings. The AA meetings would have been quite an experience, and I would be required to write a one-page summary after each one. The problem is, we don't know if the meetings in New Bern are open or not, which could be a problem.

I decided to take the two classes in early January (Lord knows how I fit it into my schedule!). They should be interesting...

I was called in front of the judge, and he asked me what I was doing in Cary. I told him I was there for a concert. He asked me why I was drinking and I told him that I was holding a drink for a friend. "Harsh consequence" was all he had to say...

The guy behind me (An NC State freshman) didn't get off so easy. The judge told him that if he already had a possession ticket after two weeks of college, he would be an accomplished felon by the time he got his diploma. The defendant agreed. Then the judge asked why he wanted to be in the South Light program (the one I'm in). He mumbled something about getting it off his record.

Apparently his answer wasn't up to par because the next thing I hear is "Why don't you go sit back down and think about why you want to be in this program? Come back and tell me when you think of a good reason."

Ouch. The judge didn't press me like that. Maybe it was because I was actually dressed nicely (the only one there) and my dad was standing beside me?

I'm glad it went as expected. Good luck with the classes in January - I hope your schedule has unexpected openings to make the time commitment easier.

I didn't get :wizard: sent ahead of time so here are some :wizard: that January is easier than expected.
Life is good!
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » October 14th, 2009, 10:53 pm

DukieInKansas wrote: I'm glad it went as expected. Good luck with the classes in January - I hope your schedule has unexpected openings to make the time commitment easier.

I didn't get :wizard: sent ahead of time so here are some :wizard: that January is easier than expected.
Thank you!
Class of 2014
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » October 14th, 2009, 11:08 pm

CellR wrote:

I'm glad that it worked out well for you but I still cannot fathom how over the top they are being about this. Absolutely fucking ridiculous! It was a beer not a vial full of heroin!!!!! And the judge telling that college student that he would be an accomplished felon by the time he graduated is so over the top that it is unbelievable. He really needs to lighten up and grab some fucking perspective.

Up here in Canada we are nowhere near as anal as this about booze. Had this happened here you would've been made to pour out the drink and might not even have gotten a fine. If you did get a fine it would've been given right there and there would have been no court date. The fine would've been $107 and you wouldn't have any kind of record afterwards (it is the equivalent of a parking ticket). Then again, up here simple possession of a small amount of pot (up to an ounce) gets you a fine and no criminal record.

I'm so sorry to hear that a simple teenage right of passage (getting caught with booze even if it wasn't your booze) has ended up being such a ridiculous hassle for you.

ETA: I forgot to mention that it is also legal for women to go topless here. Not just on a nude beach, but walking down the street! With laws as liberal as ours my gast is completely flabbered by your situation!
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » October 14th, 2009, 11:31 pm

colchar wrote:
I'm glad that it worked out well for you but I still cannot fathom how over the top they are being about this. Absolutely fucking ridiculous! It was a beer not a vial full of heroin!!!!! And the judge telling that college student that he would be an accomplished felon by the time he graduated is so over the top that it is unbelievable. He really needs to lighten up and grab some fucking perspective.

Up here in Canada we are nowhere near as anal as this about booze. Had this happened here you would've been made to pour out the drink and might not even have gotten a fine. If you did get a fine it would've been given right there and there would have been no court date. The fine would've been $107 and you wouldn't have any kind of record afterwards (it is the equivalent of a parking ticket). Then again, up here simple possession of a small amount of pot (up to an ounce) gets you a fine and no criminal record.

I'm so sorry to hear that a simple teenage right of passage (getting caught with booze even if it wasn't your booze) has ended up being such a ridiculous hassle for you.

ETA: I forgot to mention that it is also legal for women to go topless here. Not just on a nude beach, but walking down the street! With laws as liberal as ours my gast is completely flabbered by your situation!
Wow! I didn't realize that Canada was quite so liberal. Seems like a pretty interesting place. :ymsmug:
I wouldn't mind it nearly as much if this happened in a different county. 5 or 6 hours of community service would be a peace of cake and I would honestly be glad to do it. Instead of actually helping the community, I get to waste (basically) a decent amount of time relearning what my parents have taught me for the last 17 years.

Anyways, it's off to bed for me... Long day. i-)
Class of 2014
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 14th, 2009, 11:37 pm

CellR wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote: I'm glad it went as expected. Good luck with the classes in January - I hope your schedule has unexpected openings to make the time commitment easier.

Thank you!
Me too. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
You will pull through this...do not doubt that.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 14th, 2009, 11:47 pm

I've got Unfaithful on right now. I find this film highly compelling for some reason.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » October 14th, 2009, 11:57 pm

wilson wrote:I've got Unfaithful on right now. I find this film highly compelling for some reason.
Olivier Martinez?
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!