LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by CathyCA » October 12th, 2009, 10:17 pm

Cool! My next post is a milestone. I'm going over there!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 12th, 2009, 10:22 pm

CathyCA wrote:Cool! My next post is a milestone. I'm going over there!
Is it something about a certain guy and an ocean? How fitting that you hit this particular landmark today!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 12th, 2009, 10:24 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Is it something about a certain guy and an ocean? How fitting that you hit this particular landmark today!
Excellent point! :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 12th, 2009, 10:25 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Definitely cool. I'll spare y'all my debunking-Columbus rant, though.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 12th, 2009, 10:25 pm

I may or may not be watching 'My Best Friend's Wedding' right now.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 12th, 2009, 10:26 pm

wilson wrote:I may or may not be watching 'My Best Friend's Wedding' right now.
OK, so I am, but in my defense, I've never seen it all the way through in English. I saw it in France about ten days after I'd arrived, and in following it far better than I'd expected, I knew I was going to be fine. So this film carries an odd sort of existential significance for me.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » October 12th, 2009, 10:43 pm

wilson wrote:
OK, so I am, but in my defense, I've never seen it all the way through in English. I saw it in France about ten days after I'd arrived, and in following it far better than I'd expected, I knew I was going to be fine. So this film carries an odd sort of existential significance for me.
Don't give us this existential crap, man. Admit it. You just want to watch it. ;)
-- DukeUsul
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 12th, 2009, 10:45 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
wilson wrote:
Don't give us this existential crap, man. Admit it. You just want to watch it. ;)
Nah, there are far better chick flicks out there. In fact, I own at least a couple of them, so it's not as if MBFW is the only option.
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » October 12th, 2009, 11:56 pm

Notting Hill for example, both a better Julia Roberts movie and it has Hugh Grant, the best rom-com hero since Cary.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 13th, 2009, 12:02 am

Bostondevil wrote:Notting Hill for example, both a better Julia Roberts movie and it has Hugh Grant, the best rom-com hero since Cary.
Yes. But really, when it comes to rom-coms, there's When Harry Met Sally... and there's everything else.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » October 13th, 2009, 12:15 am

CathyCA wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:Just got back from the Tufts 10K race, not too bad, 1:15 and change.
BD, you're so inspiring. You make that run sound like it's so easy. Congratulations!
Thank you, Cathy. I will admit though, I've become something of a running snob. I'm not fast, I wouldn't mind getting a little bit faster, but tossing out a 1:15 10K has become fairly easy for me. So much so that when the lady on the loudspeaker was offering encouragement to everybody over the last quarter mile, I kept thinking, "C'mon, it's only a 10K."

What would be hard though, is setting some goal like running it in under an hour. I'm not bothering with that goal. Maybe next year I'll shoot for 1:10. I have fun with this race and I don't really want to make it not fun. Worrying about my time would make it less fun. I'll save worrying about my time for my next Boston Marathon. I think if I could do it without knee problems or leg cramps, I could break 5:30. But, no more marathons until all of my toenails grow back.

Something I have discovered in my training. You can half-ass a 10K. Like I did today, I haven't run more than 3 miles since the marathon, but I wasn't at all worried about the race, either finishing or finishing in my standard time. A marathon? You can't half-ass a marathon.

So, anybody want to come up to Boston next Columbus Day and run with me? I'm going to keep running this race until I can't. I'll walk it when I'm 80 if it comes to that. How's that for inspiration?
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » October 13th, 2009, 12:17 am

wilson wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:Notting Hill for example, both a better Julia Roberts movie and it has Hugh Grant, the best rom-com hero since Cary.
Yes. But really, when it comes to rom-coms, there's When Harry Met Sally... and there's everything else.
Aw, wilson, we disagree on something. I'll appeal to The Lovelies on this on, a true chick flick has to have a guy you'd want to be with in it. Billy Crystal doesn't do it for any of us. When Harry Met Sally is a comedy, but it's not a romantic comedy.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » October 13th, 2009, 12:17 am

Look at real life, Billy Crystal had no shot with Meg Ryan.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 13th, 2009, 12:26 am

Bostondevil wrote:
wilson wrote:
Aw, wilson, we disagree on something. I'll appeal to The Lovelies on this on, a true chick flick has to have a guy you'd want to be with in it. Billy Crystal doesn't do it for any of us. When Harry Met Sally is a comedy, but it's not a romantic comedy.
Bostondevil wrote:Look at real life, Billy Crystal had no shot with Meg Ryan.
Fine; I'll very comfortably offer up Sleepless in Seattle next.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » October 13th, 2009, 12:28 am

Miles wrote:Hey DA. I miss the guys and the office interaction, and my boss is still struggling with a way to keep me in the loop on important conversations but I'm doing pretty good now. I've got a routine down, some days working from home, sometimes from Kelly's, and sometimes from Caribou so that keeps things kind of interesting in place of the office interaction.

It also looks like someone is stepping down soon which should have a positive impact on my work. It should allow my boss and I to interact more freely because she tended to meddle and micromanage us. That really sucks because my boss himself is a micromanager so I was getting double the trickledown of micromanaged lameness.

Thanks for asking!
Glad to hear it's going well.

We have a remote team in Boston, so I'm somewhat familiar with the challenges - it's tough sometimes to keep them in mind ("out of sight," and all that) and time zones make it difficult to have ad-hoc communications when we want. Luckily, the team's pretty self-sufficient and motivated; and they do a good job of setting up regular 1:1's with folks just to keep in touch. And best of all, they mock us sufficiently and with great skill when we accidently schedule meetings for them at 8PM. :D
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » October 13th, 2009, 12:36 am

wilson wrote:[quote="Bostondevil]
Bostondevil wrote:Look at real life, Billy Crystal had no shot with Meg Ryan.
Fine; I'll very comfortably offer up Sleepless in Seattle next.[/quote]

OK, done. But I love Notting Hill. And Four Weddings and a Funeral, and Bridget Jones' Diary and, shoot me, Music and Lyrics (except for the scene with Campbell Scott, what a waste).
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » October 13th, 2009, 1:03 am

Very Cool!!!!! Congratulations!!!! :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: You are soo clever!!!! :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » October 13th, 2009, 7:38 am

Cary Elwes? He's good, but not THAT good!! =)) =)) =)) (Sometimes I crack myself up!!)
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 13th, 2009, 8:18 am

Bostondevil wrote: rom-com
I've never heard that term before, but it just moved way up my list of annoying words and phrases.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 13th, 2009, 8:50 am

Lavabe wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Legacy Lady just got her tonsils and adenoids removed. ....FWIW, she's recovering at home now, feeling a bit groggy, and complaining about her sore throat. :-bd
Hope LL feels better soon!!! Sending vibes and prayers for speedy recovery! :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: P.S. If LL is anything like my daughter ( :-@ :-@ :-@ :-@), enjoy the quiet time!!!!! ;)
Thanks to everyone. She has PLENTY of chocolate ice cream waiting for her, Oz. Now the bad news... this may keep us from going to the GaTech football game. We'll see. We're still early in the recovery game. Hopefully she'll be fine and will heal well, so that we can make the game.
Dude, that game's on Nov. 14th, right? If recovery is anywhere CLOSE to normal, she should be 90% in a week and 100% in two weeks. My dad didn't have his out until he was in his 30s. He was TOTALLY miserable and thought he was gonna die. He was fine in less than a week. I had mine out at age 10 and was back to normal in like three days. I'm sure with new medical techniques and drugs, it's not as bad as it was my dad and I had it done 30 years ago.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage