LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by YmoBeThere » October 1st, 2009, 6:35 am

colchar wrote:
Turk wrote:OK, I'll take the bait. What kind of tattoo are you getting and why? Being a geezer, I don't get the whole tattoo thing at all. "It's a great way to express my individuality - everybody is doing it." If any a you young'uns care to explain, I'd appreciate the edumification...

Yeah, I don't get it either.
Me three...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 1st, 2009, 7:36 am

Bostondevil wrote:OK, so I have these two Facebook friends, not anybody who posts here. She is always posting about her great boyfriend. He is always posting about his wonderful girlfriend. They used to date each other. They don't anymore. It all kind of makes me feel weird, not enough to unfriend them, but weird nonetheless. I started to wonder if they were both trying to get back at the other one so I just checked. They aren't friends with each other. Hmmmm. I know, none of you cares, but I had to talk about it somewhere and if you can't talk about it in the LTE where can you talk about it?
You should post two different status posts, one that says "I'm so happy she is loving her new boyfriend" and then "I'm so happy he is loving his new girlfriend". /:)
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » October 1st, 2009, 8:09 am

colchar wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:I'm kinda glad now that when I wanted to get a tatoo, they were illegal in the state where I lived at the time. I tried again after I moved to Massachusetts. Still illegal.

Are you kidding? Seriously?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Tattoos illegal? Holy shit. Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of tattoos and really wish the fad would die but how the hell could they possibly be illegal? That is just fucking insane!!!!!
Just to clarify, tattoos weren't illegal, tattoo parlors were. We're talking 20 years ago, but tattoo parlors were not allowed to legally operate in Massachusetts at the time. The laws have changed.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 1st, 2009, 8:27 am

I spent a looooooooooooong time in district criminal court yesterday. There was a ridiculous number of defendants crammed into the courtroom, so it took 4+ hours of mostly waiting to dispose of my client's case. Anyway, I had a lot of time to observe the various people in the courtroom, and one female defendant in particular stood out to me. She was wearing a Betty Boop shirt with the following phrase emblazoned across the top: NAUGHTY

I thought that perhaps of all the shirts this woman owned, she might have had at least one that was more appropriate to wear to court. #-o
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 1st, 2009, 9:02 am

Turk wrote:OK, I'll take the bait. What kind of tattoo are you getting and why? Being a geezer, I don't get the whole tattoo thing at all. "It's a great way to express my individuality - everybody is doing it." If any a you young'uns care to explain, I'd appreciate the edumification...
Bostondevil wrote:I'm kinda glad now that when I wanted to get a tatoo, they were illegal in the state where I lived at the time. I tried again after I moved to Massachusetts. Still illegal. The closest legit tattoo parlor was in Old Orchard Beach Maine. I decided against making the drive. By the time tattoo parlors became legal in Massachusetts, I didn't want one anymore. Whew. Although I'm perfectly fine with wilson having one, or two, maybe three.
This will be my second and final tattoo for the foreseeable future. This one will be a sextant, something akin to this:
My existing one is an anchor.
As for why I have them, I couldn't care less why everyone else has theirs. These are deeply meaningful symbols for me, commemorating experiences and parts of me that are important and immutable. If you want to hear the "long version" of why I've chosen each symbol, feel free to PM me. I've never given anyone the "long version" and had them still think my ink was pointless.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » October 1st, 2009, 9:28 am

CathyCA wrote:I spent a looooooooooooong time in district criminal court yesterday. There was a ridiculous number of defendants crammed into the courtroom, so it took 4+ hours of mostly waiting to dispose of my client's case. Anyway, I had a lot of time to observe the various people in the courtroom, and one female defendant in particular stood out to me. She was wearing a Betty Boop shirt with the following phrase emblazoned across the top: NAUGHTY

I thought that perhaps of all the shirts this woman owned, she might have had at least one that was more appropriate to wear to court. #-o
I hope she wasn't there for solicitation charges. :))
Life is good!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 1st, 2009, 9:41 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
CathyCA wrote:I spent a looooooooooooong time in district criminal court yesterday. There was a ridiculous number of defendants crammed into the courtroom, so it took 4+ hours of mostly waiting to dispose of my client's case. Anyway, I had a lot of time to observe the various people in the courtroom, and one female defendant in particular stood out to me. She was wearing a Betty Boop shirt with the following phrase emblazoned across the top: NAUGHTY

I hope she wasn't there for solicitation charges. :))
My archive in Charleston is right across the street from the District(?) Court. My gast was routinely flabbered by the sartorial choices (similar to the above) of many people entering the facility.
Of course, my gast is flabbered that the kids at church don't wear pint-sized gold-buttoned blazers and bowties anymore, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask about all of this. :-??
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » October 1st, 2009, 10:05 am

wilson wrote:My archive in Charleston is right across the street from the District(?) Court. My gast was routinely flabbered by the sartorial choices (similar to the above) of many people entering the facility.
Of course, my gast is flabbered that the kids at church don't wear pint-sized gold-buttoned blazers and bowties anymore, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask about all of this. :-??
Mr. BD and I are routinely complemented on how nicely our sons are dressed for church. Of course, I always feels that they are a bit underdressed because none of them has a 'church coat'. They all have church pants and church shoes. Oh wait, Ronnie has a church coat. It was a gift from Nana.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » October 1st, 2009, 10:10 am

Another one of the reasons I don't have a tattoo is that my father, who rarely asks me for anything, asked me not to get one.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 1st, 2009, 10:18 am

wilson wrote: Of course, my gast is flabbered that the kids at church don't wear pint-sized gold-buttoned blazers and bowties anymore, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask about all of this. :-??
I'm not generally a prude, and I think that people should be able to "dress down" at church, but even I'm shocked at what some people wear to church these days. Skirts that are short enough that if you get somebody at the wrong angle, I swear you'd see everything. Ratty, torn t-shirts with dirty sayings on them. Ripped jeans that look like they haven't been washed since they were popular. Ratty flip flops. Ugh.

Look, I'm hardly one to complain. My usual dress at church is a pair of bermuda shorts with an aloha or golf shirt, but jeez, can't we make a LITTLE effort? I used to feel like I was under dressed at church. Frighteningly, I'm starting to feel OVER dressed. :twitch:

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 1st, 2009, 10:20 am

Didn't we have a tattoo thread back in May sometime? I thought Wilson had written about his anchor then.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=123&hilit=tattoos

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » October 1st, 2009, 10:27 am

I've never really been into tattoos. When I was in college, I heard from my parents that my baby brother got one while he was on his high school senior trip. Oh no I thought... there he goes, being the dumb little kid again. Getting wasted with his HS friends and getting a tat.

Well he proved me wrong. He was 18 and he and his other classmates all told their teacher chaperones, were told to call their parents and then were allowed to go do it. And I was very proud that he wasn't an idiot like some of his friends, getting a set of Chinese characters that they thought meant "peace" and actually meant "I'm a douchebag." I was very happy to hear that he got a tat of "Eire" in a Celtic script on his shoulder. Very classy.
-- DukeUsul
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » October 1st, 2009, 11:36 am

Why is a tat shop called a parlor anyway?
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » October 1st, 2009, 11:36 am

And wilson, are your tats somewhere we can see them?
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » October 1st, 2009, 12:58 pm

Mr. BD does not understand my love for Cat Deeley, but I really wish she were my BFF.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » October 1st, 2009, 1:02 pm

Bostondevil wrote:And wilson, are your tats somewhere we can see them?
Not from where you are currently. ;)
Life is good!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 1st, 2009, 1:34 pm

My anchor is at the base of my right calf (thus, you've seen it, whether or not you took note of it). My sextant is going on my left thigh, right about the place where my average shorts stop.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » October 1st, 2009, 2:01 pm

wilson wrote:
My anchor is at the base of my right calf (thus, you've seen it, whether or not you took note of it). My sextant is going on my left thigh, right about the place where my average shorts stop.
For the record, had I gotten a tattoo, it was going at the base of my left calf.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » October 1st, 2009, 2:25 pm

wilson wrote:
I'm sure I did see it, but yes, since I don't distinctly remember it, I didn't 'take note of it'. Tattoos have become like earrings on men. I'll notice at the time but they don't make a lasting impression unless someone is inked to the point of distraction. So, for me, it's better if your tats don't make a lasting impression. Do you have an earring too?

All this talk is starting to make me want to get one again. But what to get. It would have to be truly meaningful, not just something I thought was cool. And I'd still have to hide it from my dad. All in all, I'd lay odds against me doing it, but you never know.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 1st, 2009, 2:27 pm

Bostondevil wrote:...Do you have an earring too?...
Do not, will not.