Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by YmoBeThere » September 6th, 2009, 11:33 am

captmojo wrote: I still possess optimism.
Much better than obsessing over opossum.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 6th, 2009, 2:59 pm

Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale-my welcoming brew (shared with CB&B) at Brunchgate yesterday. Not a bad session beer. A slightly amber-colored lager with your typical light floral lager taste and aroma. Probably some crystal and caramel malts and an estimated 30-40 IBU and about 5% ABV. I don't remember the brewery but it is listed on the label. A pleasant stater ale on a very warm FB afternoon.

Yes, indeed. This is #2500.

No status change. But, I really didn't expect one either. I'm still the PW Professor/King and yesterday I wore the crown to "celebrate" it :oops: :roll: . I know someone at Brunchgate has the incriminating photo to prove it :oops: :roll: .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 6th, 2009, 7:21 pm

devildeac wrote:Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale-my welcoming brew (shared with CB&B) at Brunchgate yesterday. Not a bad session beer. A slightly amber-colored lager with your typical light floral lager taste and aroma. Probably some crystal and caramel malts and an estimated 30-40 IBU and about 5% ABV. I don't remember the brewery but it is listed on the label. A pleasant stater ale on a very warm FB afternoon.

Yes, indeed. This is #2500.

No status change. But, I really didn't expect one either. I'm still the PW Professor/King and yesterday I wore the crown to "celebrate" it :oops: :roll: . I know someone at Brunchgate has the incriminating photo to prove it :oops: :roll: .
Just a bit more info:

http://www.blacksheepbrewery.com/Beers/ ... Grail.aspx

"tempered over burning witches"
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » September 6th, 2009, 7:30 pm

I think it would be quite the undertaking, but I've often pondered whether it is worth the exercise to summarize a list of all the ales we all have encountered and reported on and see how that compares to the available ales in the wild? There seems to be thousands upon thousands of variations that keep cropping up around ever corner. Does anyone else think that would be interesting or am I rediscovering charted territory?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 6th, 2009, 7:40 pm

cl15876 wrote:I think it would be quite the undertaking, but I've often pondered whether it is worth the exercise to summarize a list of all the ales we all have encountered and reported on and see how that compares to the available ales in the wild? There seems to be thousands upon thousands of variations that keep cropping up around ever corner. Does anyone else think that would be interesting or am I rediscovering charted territory?
Very interesting thought. Have at it...

Just kidding. For my #1000 (and 1001-1020 :oops: ) on DBR, I listed all the different beers (oh, about 1000) I remember drinking/sampling over the last 10-12 years. I don't think the list could have been 10% of all the different brews that have been produced in the last 10-12 years when you consider all the commercial breweries, macro and micro, and all the brewpubs in the world. But, I am still willing to keep tasting... ;) :D
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » September 6th, 2009, 7:47 pm

devildeac wrote:
cl15876 wrote:I think it would be quite the undertaking, but I've often pondered whether it is worth the exercise to summarize a list of all the ales we all have encountered and reported on and see how that compares to the available ales in the wild? There seems to be thousands upon thousands of variations that keep cropping up around ever corner. Does anyone else think that would be interesting or am I rediscovering charted territory?

Just kidding. For my #1000 (and 1001-1020 :oops: ) on DBR, I listed all the different beers (oh, about 1000) I remember drinking/sampling over the last 10-12 years. I don't think the list could have been 10% of all the different brews that have been produced in the last 10-12 years when you consider all the commercial breweries, macro and micro, and all the brewpubs in the world. But, I am still willing to keep tasting... ;) :D
Just trying to figure out what to surprise all ya all with for future taste trading! Seems like you've tasted everything and you know there is a place for someone who has tasted everything .... :D I'm here for ya!!! =)) =)) =)) =)) O:-)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 6th, 2009, 8:11 pm

cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:

Just trying to figure out what to surprise all ya all with for future taste trading! Seems like you've tasted everything and you know there is a place for someone who has tasted everything .... :D I'm here for ya!!! =)) =)) =)) =)) O:-)
Brews we can't/don't get down yonder:
Troegs
Clipper City-Heavy Seas series, specifically Down Under
Dogfish Head bombers
Victory bombers
Stoudt bombers

How's that for starters? :D
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » September 6th, 2009, 8:39 pm

devildeac wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:"quote="cl15876""I think it would be quite the undertaking, but I've often pondered whether it is worth the exercise to summarize a list of all the ales we all have encountered and reported on and see how that compares to the available ales in the wild? There seems to be thousands upon thousands of variations that keep cropping up around ever corner. Does anyone else think that would be interesting or am I rediscovering charted territory?"/quote"

Troegs
Dogfish Head bombers
Victory bombers
Stoudt bombers

That works!!!!! I am feeling some special orders/negotiations to begin!!!! :)) :)) :)) :)), but NO worries!!!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 6th, 2009, 8:49 pm

cl15876 wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:"quote="cl15876""I think it would be quite the undertaking, but I've often pondered whether it is worth the exercise to summarize a list of all the ales we all have encountered and reported on and see how that compares to the available ales in the wild? There seems to be thousands upon thousands of variations that keep cropping up around ever corner. Does anyone else think that would be interesting or am I rediscovering charted territory?"/quote"

Troegs
Dogfish Head bombers
Victory bombers
Stoudt bombers

That works!!!!! I am feeling some special orders/negotiations to begin!!!! :)) :)) :)) :)), but NO worries!!!
You bring it, CB&B and I will drink it/trade it!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 6th, 2009, 9:27 pm

devildeac wrote: You bring it, CB&B and I will drink it/trade it!
Works for me!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » September 6th, 2009, 10:46 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Works for me!
Let me see what I can do! Oct 3rd! No peeking until then!!!!!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » September 6th, 2009, 10:47 pm

cl15876 wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Works for me!
Let me see what I can do! Oct 3rd! No peeking until then!!!!!
Maybe, at Tilly's!!! 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-}
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 7th, 2009, 12:58 pm

A bunchaSaranacs coming up from CB&B at Brunchgate:

1. Pale Ale-a fine summer/session beer in the English pale ale style. Amber in color and only mildly hoppy with Cascade and East Kent Golding hops (I cheated and looked at the web site). Aromas and tastes of flowers and perhaps hints of toast and caramel. IBU-I'd guess 40-50 at most and the ABV=5.5%. I believe I shared this with CB&B, which becomes very important as the afternoon progresses.

2. Nah, that's the next post. :oops: :roll: ;)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 7th, 2009, 1:10 pm

Bridgeport IPA
This is a DD trade from brunchgate, it's a bottle conditioned beer, so it has got a nice yeast sediment layer. Well hopped, but not overly so. It has a great citrus taste to it. Low ABV (under 6%) so this could make for a great addition to a cookout or some sort of parking lot tailgate involving football. ;) The brew I've poured is pretty cloudy, this could be a couple of things. It was shaken in transport, distrubiting the yeast or/and it has a strong chill factor. Some brews (especially homebrews) will cloud up when chilled. I don't want to hazard a guess at the IBU's, I'm not great with that, but I'm thinking it's a little lower than what I would expect for an IPA. Compared to some of the extreme hop outings I've been trying lately, that's not a bad thing. I could easily by a 12 pack of this and have fun sharing it with friends.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 7th, 2009, 1:21 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Bridgeport IPA
This is a DD trade from brunchgate, it's a bottle conditioned beer, so it has got a nice yeast sediment layer. Well hopped, but not overly so. It has a great citrus taste to it. Low ABV (under 6%) so this could make for a great addition to a cookout or some sort of parking lot tailgate involving football. ;) The brew I've poured is pretty cloudy, this could be a couple of things. It was shaken in transport, distrubiting the yeast or/and it has a strong chill factor. Some brews (especially homebrews) will cloud up when chilled. I don't want to hazard a guess at the IBU's, I'm not great with that, but I'm thinking it's a little lower than what I would expect for an IPA. Compared to some of the extreme hop outings I've been trying lately, that's not a bad thing. I could easily by a 12 pack of this and have fun sharing it with friends.
Sounds like you kinda enjoyed it.
:roll: ;)
I may have another to trade at Tilly's or on 9/26. :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 7th, 2009, 2:32 pm

I've already reviewed it so this is thanks to DD for the Big Eye trader. It's just a fun beer to revisit.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 7th, 2009, 3:19 pm

devildeac wrote:A bunchaSaranacs coming up from CB&B at Brunchgate:

1. Pale Ale-a fine summer/session beer in the English pale ale style. Amber in color and only mildly hoppy with Cascade and East Kent Golding hops (I cheated and looked at the web site). Aromas and tastes of flowers and perhaps hints of toast and caramel. IBU-I'd guess 40-50 at most and the ABV=5.5%. I believe I shared this with CB&B, which becomes very important as the afternoon progresses.

It's next post time:

2. Adirondack Lager. This was a pleasand surprise as I, like rmd, am not a big lager fan. This pours a light amber and has a slight malty sweetness from the 2-row and caramel malts and a hint of a floral bouquet from the Cascade, Mt Hood and Hallertau hops. A nice blend. A fine session brew at 5.5% ABV and I'd estimate an IBU of 30 or less. This matched well with all the fine fare on Saturday afternoon/evening.

3. Nah, you know me better than that...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 7th, 2009, 5:04 pm

devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:A bunchaSaranacs coming up from CB&B at Brunchgate:

It's next post time:

2. Adirondack Lager. This was a pleasand surprise as I, like rmd, am not a big lager fan. This pours a light amber and has a slight malty sweetness from the 2-row and caramel malts and a hint of a floral bouquet from the Cascade, Mt Hood and Hallertau hops. A nice blend. A fine session brew at 5.5% ABV and I'd estimate an IBU of 30 or less. This matched well with all the fine fare on Saturday afternoon/evening.

3. Nah, you know me better than that...
3. Brown Ale-Even more tasty with 2 row, pale and chocolate malts and Cascade and Columbus hops. Pours a clear, medium brown and has the typical tastes of caramel and milk chocolate with a mild hops bite. I'd guess the IBU at 30-40 and the ABV is a bit higher than I thought at 6%. This is the pick o' the litter so far for the Saranacs I tasted on Saturday. Great with ribs, baked beans and, most of all, the delicious beef brisket. Thanks again to CB&B for the traders.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 11th, 2009, 12:08 pm

Just so folks don't forget...

BTTT :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 11th, 2009, 12:14 pm

devildeac wrote:Just so folks don't forget...

BTTT :D
The weather is looking good for this afternoon, so I'll finally be able to brew my scotch ale. It should be present for drinking at the VT brunchgate.