LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by DukieInKansas » August 17th, 2009, 1:55 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:
captmojo wrote: quote="DukieInKansas"]

There are several Buttermilk Falls in NY. I doubt the one we went to was the one you saw as it isn't in a state park. Dad used to ride his bike out to these - and admitted that he skipped school on occasion to do so. He waited until his kids were all out of school before telling us that part.[/quote
OK, but these were easy on the eyes.
I still don't know how to get the pix here but have added a few picks of the Falls on my Facebook page.
Saw the pics - they're great!
Thanks. I hope to get a chance to check out yours tonight.
Life is good!
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » August 17th, 2009, 5:28 pm

What is this "facebook" of which you speak? Qu'est-que c'est?
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 17th, 2009, 5:39 pm

Turk wrote:What is this "facebook" of which you speak? Qu'est-que c'est?
I'm still trying to figure it out - but was able to get pictures on it. Still trying to figure out how to get them here.
Life is good!
Turk

Post by Turk » August 17th, 2009, 5:42 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:Totally went to church this morning with Mike Nifong.
I hung that one out there, and there has been surprisingly little response to it. :-\ :-\ :-\

We visited a friend's church for their son's baptism. There he was sitting two rows back from our friends. He hung around after the service, but no one talked to him except his family. I certainly didn't.
What I would have wanted to say to him probably shouldn't be said in church. I really just want to ask him a question and get a straight answer from him - What were you thinking?
Well, I'd say it's obvious he wasn't thinking. He jumped to the conclusion it was a slam-dunk case that could be parlayed like a winning lottery ticket into higher office and political power. To me, the more interesting question is what Nifong is thinking now. And an even more interesting question that could get me into serious interweb time-out is "Who did more evil - Mike Nifong or Michael Vick?" x_x

I will nervously post it here but not even dare to think it if lurking over yonder... [-x
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 17th, 2009, 5:55 pm

Speaking of Mike Nifong, I understand that there will be a Mike Nifong pinata at the Duke's homecoming game vs. NCCU. Fans of both teams are welcome to take a swat or two at it. Proceeds go to charity. =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » August 17th, 2009, 6:05 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Speaking of Mike Nifong, I understand that there will be a Mike Nifong pinata at the Duke's homecoming game vs. NCCU. Fans of both teams are welcome to take a swat or two at it. Proceeds go to charity. =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
That could help decide what game I go to this year!
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 17th, 2009, 6:39 pm

CathyCA wrote: I loved your pics over on FB, Cheryl.
Thanks! I really want to hit the MoBot and/or the zoo for some more pictures. Unfortunately both close at 5:00 p.m. on weekdays, and the last couple of times I've tried to go (including today) it has rained buckets. I'm really anxious to try some of the stuff I learned in my photography class over the weekend.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 17th, 2009, 6:45 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Miles wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:My wife has been making the ~o) recently. It's too weak. I need to tell her to crank it up.
There is nothing more depressing than sipping a cup of weak coffee in the morning. It fools you! It smells good, and it leads you to believe that you'll soon be enjoying a hot cup of caffeinated goodness only to find out it's a nasty cup of transparent wannabe coffee.

I feel for you buddy.
That sounds like my experience with Maxwell House when I bought some "just to try it". I'll stick with Kona smuggled from Hawaii, or Dunkin Donuts, which I buy at either Costco or Sam's (much cheaper than at DD itself or in "regular" grocery stores.)
I'll second this. I was bummed because Trader Joe's recently stopped carrying my favorite coffee (New Mexico Pinon). A colleague brought in some Dunkin Donuts coffee and that's what I've bought ever since. It's quite good.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 17th, 2009, 6:47 pm

CellR wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:
CellR wrote:
That will be very useful for me during calculus this year! :D
You also have help here. I majored in physics as an undergrad and took way more math than you can imagine. I also used to tutor HS calculus, physics, chemistry.... I can answer questions. But I'm a real PITA, because I'll use the Socratic Method on you and make sure you understand what you're doing and not just give you answers. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Sweet! That's pretty exciting.
Don't worry, I'm not normally the student that is just looking for the answers. I've figured out that it is a really bad idea to coast through a class (especially math) without learning the proper way to answer the questions. I mean, how do you take a test if somebody has given you all the answers to your homework?

I'm also taking AP Biology, AP Earth/Environmental, Honors Chemistry, and Honors Physics this year. I should be asking a lot of science questions. :) :(( :(( :(( :D
I've got chemistry covered - PhD, Duke. :D
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 17th, 2009, 6:49 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Speaking of Mike Nifong, I understand that there will be a Mike Nifong pinata at the Duke's homecoming game vs. NCCU. Fans of both teams are welcome to take a swat or two at it. Proceeds go to charity. =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Exactly what I was thinking... :) :ymdevil:
-- Albert Einstein
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 17th, 2009, 6:57 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
CellR wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:"quote="CellR""

That will be very useful for me during calculus this year! :D"/quote"
You also have help here. I majored in physics as an undergrad and took way more math than you can imagine. I also used to tutor HS calculus, physics, chemistry.... I can answer questions. But I'm a real PITA, because I'll use the Socratic Method on you and make sure you understand what you're doing and not just give you answers. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Sweet! That's pretty exciting.
Don't worry, I'm not normally the student that is just looking for the answers. I've figured out that it is a really bad idea to coast through a class (especially math) without learning the proper way to answer the questions. I mean, how do you take a test if somebody has given you all the answers to your homework?

I'm also taking AP Biology, AP Earth/Environmental, Honors Chemistry, and Honors Physics this year. I should be asking a lot of science questions. :) :(( :(( :(( :D
Impressive!!!!! Chemistry girls always turned me *-:) :D
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » August 17th, 2009, 7:48 pm

So does anyone know anything about the new TV show "Defying Gravity"?
It looks interesting, and I just watched the Pilot. Although I read it's supposed to be like Grey's Anatomy, just in space. Hopefully there will be some action! The video quality/special effects are incredible so far.
Class of 2014
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 17th, 2009, 8:01 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Thanks! I really want to hit the MoBot and/or the zoo for some more pictures. Unfortunately both close at 5:00 p.m. on weekdays, and the last couple of times I've tried to go (including today) it has rained buckets. I'm really anxious to try some of the stuff I learned in my photography class over the weekend.
Get used to MoBot now, but I'm afraid you'll need to go over again, with a Nikon Macro lens. :-bd
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 17th, 2009, 9:05 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Ok, cross that one off my list. Can't beat that. ;)
-- DukeUsul
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 17th, 2009, 9:10 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:
Exactly what I was thinking... :) :ymdevil:
You do know I am kidding about this, don't you?
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 17th, 2009, 9:16 pm

CellR wrote:So does anyone know anything about the new TV show "Defying Gravity"?
It looks interesting, and I just watched the Pilot. Although I read it's supposed to be like Grey's Anatomy, just in space. Hopefully there will be some action! The video quality/special effects are incredible so far.
I haven't watched it. My tv might float away.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 17th, 2009, 9:22 pm

Lavabe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
Get used to MoBot now, but I'm afraid you'll need to go over again, with a Nikon Macro lens. :-bd
What's MoBot? Missouri __________?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 17th, 2009, 9:44 pm

wilson wrote: What's MoBot?
Googlebot's stooge brother.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 17th, 2009, 9:59 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
CellR wrote:So does anyone know anything about the new TV show "Defying Gravity"?
Not if it's wearing the space suit that apparently "grounds" you to the floor of the ship. :roll: :roll:
Class of 2014
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 17th, 2009, 10:03 pm

CellR wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Not if it's wearing the space suit that apparently "grounds" you to the floor of the ship. :roll: :roll:
I'd like to check it out...I think all things space-related are flippin' fascinating. When and on what network does it air?