LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 17th, 2009, 8:58 am

Lavabe wrote:
My daughter is now at the stage where she's asking for help in subjects that I have long since forgotten. I feel like such a L-) .
When my daughter was in (early) high school, I bought a 2 volume encyclopedia from a "traveling salesman" that had a great overview/review of all the high school math topics, from simple algebra to geometry to calculus. I bought it so I could help her when she asked for help, which she never did. Just looked for them but I think I gave them to her husband over Christmas when they were here and he was teaching himself calculus (yes, I said he was teaching himself calculus, which he did, at least the basics by mid January). I'll ask her if she has them, and if so, what they are called, because they would really be handy for you going forward.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 17th, 2009, 9:04 am

As for :ymhiro: , Hiro is a character from Heroes, Hiro Nakamura, and his father was Captain Sulu (who's limo had the license plate NCC-1701 :D )

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 17th, 2009, 9:15 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:As for :ymhiro: , Hiro is a character from Heroes, Hiro Nakamura, and his father was Captain Sulu (who's limo had the license plate NCC-1701 :D )
Suzuhira Hiro is one of the most famous and successful anime artists around. There have been TONS of characters in Japanese anime and Henti for decades named Hiro. There are also several video games with characters named Hiro. In the now uber-famous cyber punk novel, Snow Crash, that I read in high school almost 20 years ago, the main character is named Hiro Protagonist.

It's a Japanese unisex name that means: 1) "abundant," 2) "generous, tolerant," or 3) "prosperous" according to the website http://www.20000-names.com/male_japanese_names.htm . I knew the generous one, but not the others.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 17th, 2009, 9:26 am

Lavabe wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:Totally went to church this morning with Mike Nifong.
Now WAIT a minute!!

How did this one get away without a reply?
:-$
I hung that one out there, and there has been surprisingly little response to it. :-\ :-\ :-\

We visited a friend's church for their son's baptism. There he was sitting two rows back from our friends. He hung around after the service, but no one talked to him except his family. I certainly didn't.
-- DukeUsul
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » August 17th, 2009, 9:29 am

:ymhiro: :ymbilly:

I always thought the looked like Ryu and Ken from Street Fighter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryu_(Street_Fighter)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_(Street_Fighter)
-- DukeUsul
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 17th, 2009, 9:29 am

DukeUsul wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
Now WAIT a minute!!

I hung that one out there, and there has been surprisingly little response to it. :-\ :-\ :-\

We visited a friend's church for their son's baptism. There he was sitting two rows back from our friends. He hung around after the service, but no one talked to him except his family. I certainly didn't.
I look at it as it's not your fault. Not only is it not your fault that he happens to be there, but he could probably use a heavy dose of religion.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » August 17th, 2009, 9:30 am

captmojo wrote:I look at it as it's not your fault. Not only is it not your fault that he happens to be there, but he could probably use a heavy dose of religion.
Probably the only place he can go and not be judged. Well, less judged, probably.
-- DukeUsul
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » August 17th, 2009, 9:31 am

My wife has been making the ~o) recently. It's too weak. I need to tell her to crank it up.
-- DukeUsul
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » August 17th, 2009, 9:49 am

DukeUsul wrote:My wife has been making the ~o) recently. It's too weak. I need to tell her to crank it up.
There is nothing more depressing than sipping a cup of weak coffee in the morning. It fools you! It smells good, and it leads you to believe that you'll soon be enjoying a hot cup of caffeinated goodness only to find out it's a nasty cup of transparent wannabe coffee.

I feel for you buddy.
sMiles
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 17th, 2009, 10:14 am

DukeUsul wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
Now WAIT a minute!!

What I would have wanted to say to him probably shouldn't be said in church. I really just want to ask him a question and get a straight answer from him - What were you thinking?
Life is good!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 17th, 2009, 10:24 am

Miles wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:My wife has been making the ~o) recently. It's too weak. I need to tell her to crank it up.
There is nothing more depressing than sipping a cup of weak coffee in the morning. It fools you! It smells good, and it leads you to believe that you'll soon be enjoying a hot cup of caffeinated goodness only to find out it's a nasty cup of transparent wannabe coffee.

I feel for you buddy.
That sounds like my experience with Maxwell House when I bought some "just to try it". I'll stick with Kona smuggled from Hawaii, or Dunkin Donuts, which I buy at either Costco or Sam's (much cheaper than at DD itself or in "regular" grocery stores.)

cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 17th, 2009, 1:31 pm

Lavabe wrote:
cl15876 wrote:I had something quick to do for work.... where did everyone go? :-\
My 13 yr old daughter had me on daddy duty. I had to help on geometry. ~x( ~x( ~x(
LOL - I was helping my soon to be 13 yr old daughter with your math and was going to post one of the problems here to see if I could seek some explanation assistance. It is funny at how hard it is for some of the basics to come back!!!!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 17th, 2009, 1:38 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
My daughter is now at the stage where she's asking for help in subjects that I have long since forgotten. I feel like such a L-) .
When my daughter was in (early) high school, I bought a 2 volume encyclopedia from a "traveling salesman" that had a great overview/review of all the high school math topics, from simple algebra to geometry to calculus. I bought it so I could help her when she asked for help, which she never did. Just looked for them but I think I gave them to her husband over Christmas when they were here and he was teaching himself calculus (yes, I said he was teaching himself calculus, which he did, at least the basics by mid January). I'll ask her if she has them, and if so, what they are called, because they would really be handy for you going forward.
Also, as you probably know, the internet is a wonderful tool as well for finding all those hard to remember formulas. I found one site that actually has an online tutor available 24x7 for free. It is called tutorvista.com and seems to cover everything from science to math at all levels. Pretty cool! ;)
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » August 17th, 2009, 1:40 pm

Check out these books from Schaum's. I used to do tutoring of high school science and math and I always had a few of these handy to have all the formulae and equations that I had forgotten at my fingertips. Great references that help you remember those things you forgot.

http://www.amazon.com/Schaums-Outline-C ... 0070419736
-- DukeUsul
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » August 17th, 2009, 1:40 pm

cl15876 wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
Also, as you probably know, the internet is a wonderful tool as well for finding all those hard to remember formulas. I found one site that actually has an online tutor available 24x7 for free. It is called tutorvista.com and seems to cover everything from science to math at all levels. Pretty cool! ;)
That will be very useful for me during calculus this year! :D
Class of 2014
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 17th, 2009, 1:42 pm

I really don't like block schedule sometimes. For one, classes last too long, teachers usually stop teaching after an hour or so and give you time to work on your homework. Two, if you take an AP class first semester, you have to wait an entire semester until the AP exam. That's a long time to forget something. Three, you are forced to learn the material in half the time as normal schedule. I feel like you need an extended amount of time for subjects like math to sink in, or maybe it's just me. :D
Class of 2014
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » August 17th, 2009, 1:43 pm

CellR wrote:
You also have help here. I majored in physics as an undergrad and took way more math than you can imagine. I also used to tutor HS calculus, physics, chemistry.... I can answer questions. But I'm a real PITA, because I'll use the Socratic Method on you and make sure you understand what you're doing and not just give you answers. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
-- DukeUsul
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 17th, 2009, 1:46 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
CellR wrote:
You also have help here. I majored in physics as an undergrad and took way more math than you can imagine. I also used to tutor HS calculus, physics, chemistry.... I can answer questions. But I'm a real PITA, because I'll use the Socratic Method on you and make sure you understand what you're doing and not just give you answers. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Sweet! That's pretty exciting.
Don't worry, I'm not normally the student that is just looking for the answers. I've figured out that it is a really bad idea to coast through a class (especially math) without learning the proper way to answer the questions. I mean, how do you take a test if somebody has given you all the answers to your homework?

I'm also taking AP Biology, AP Earth/Environmental, Honors Chemistry, and Honors Physics this year. I should be asking a lot of science questions. :) :(( :(( :(( :D
Class of 2014
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » August 17th, 2009, 1:48 pm

CellR wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:
CellR wrote:
Sweet! That's pretty exciting.
Don't worry, I'm not normally the student that is just looking for the answers. I've figured out that it is a really bad idea to coast through a class (especially math) without learning the proper way to answer the questions. I mean, how do you take a test if somebody has given you all the answers to your homework?

I'm also taking AP Biology, AP Earth/Environmental, Honors Chemistry, and Honors Physics this year. I should be asking a lot of science questions. :) :(( :(( :(( :D
Awesome. I'm useless at Bio/environmental stuff but I can help with the others if needed. :-B :-B :-B :-B
-- DukeUsul
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 17th, 2009, 1:48 pm

CellR wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:"quote="Lavabe""

My daughter is now at the stage where she's asking for help in subjects that I have long since forgotten. I feel like such a L-) ."/quote"
Cool, I am glad! I wish I had all these tools available when I was going through Calc. I just had alot of 2-3" books from various years and not alot of people who knew anything about Calculus to help! You'll do great this year and if you need any help don't get discouraged and keep at it. Math WILL transform your mind and it's amazing when you realize it's happened. Also, just holler as well and we'll see what we can do to assist!!

Exactly, DukeUsul, that is the way I teach as well! If I can teach you how to fish and why, then you will never starve!!! :-bd