Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 27th, 2023, 8:59 pm

OPK wrote:
February 27th, 2023, 7:14 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
February 27th, 2023, 5:39 pm

Waiting for Scott Adams to declare...
A Ye/Adams ticket would be lit.
Elon Musk for campaign public relations director.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » February 27th, 2023, 9:13 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
February 27th, 2023, 8:59 pm
OPK wrote:
February 27th, 2023, 7:14 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
February 27th, 2023, 5:39 pm

Waiting for Scott Adams to declare...
A Ye/Adams ticket would be lit.
Elon Musk for campaign public relations director.
Strong suggestion, I like it.

On another topic, mark your calendars for April 17th — the Dominion voting lawsuit against FoxNews is scheduled to go to trial.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 27th, 2023, 11:52 pm

OPK wrote:
February 27th, 2023, 9:13 pm

On another topic, mark your calendars for April 17th — the Dominion voting lawsuit against FoxNews is scheduled to go to trial.
That'll be must see TV. Irony, will FOX actually report on it? The deposition of Murdoch throwing his anchors under the bus that was released today was some tasty popcorn, but I can't bring myself to tune in to see what they themselves are reporting about it.

"Thanks for joining us today, in our lead story we talk about how our boss has shown signs of rapid progression dementia".
OPK

Post by OPK » February 28th, 2023, 7:35 am

February 27th, 2023, 11:52 pm
OPK wrote:

That'll be must see TV. Irony, will FOX actually report on it? The deposition of Murdoch throwing his anchors under the bus that was released today was some tasty popcorn, but I can't bring myself to tune in to see what they themselves are reporting about it.

"Thanks for joining us today, in our lead story we talk about how our boss has shown signs of rapid progression dementia".
My understanding is that they are consciously ignoring the whole story, especially about “the talent” and their behind-the-scenes trashing of the whole conspiracy that they themselves helped peddle.

Big stakes in that suit, I hope it does not settle and that the jury reams them hard.
CrazyNotCrazie
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » February 28th, 2023, 8:39 am

OPK wrote:
February 28th, 2023, 7:35 am
February 27th, 2023, 11:52 pm
OPK wrote:

My understanding is that they are consciously ignoring the whole story, especially about “the talent” and their behind-the-scenes trashing of the whole conspiracy that they themselves helped peddle.

Big stakes in that suit, I hope it does not settle and that the jury reams them hard.
I wish Dominion could publicly disclose what settlement offers Fox has made. I agree that it is great that they are not settling and letting all of Fox's craziness be exposed.

If Dominion wins, part of the penalty should be that Fox has to remove the word "News" from the name of the network. Because it is not "News" - it is propaganda/entertainment/brainwashing.

Fox News lovers argue that MSNBC is similar on the other side, but a) it has much lower viewership, b) it is not as extreme, and c) its viewers tend to be more likely to recognize what it is (though admittedly, many do not).
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 28th, 2023, 2:24 pm

OPK wrote:
February 28th, 2023, 7:35 am

Their excuse is horseshit, but they won't call it "ignoring it", they'll simply say they aren't allowed to. Totally reminiscent of the lie Trump gave as being under audit for the inability to disclose his returns.
From one of their reporters.
Kurtz made the announcement on his Sunday “Media Buzz” program, saying he was responding to people who wondered why he wasn't covering the case.

“It's absolutely a fair question,” Kurtz said. “I believe I should be covering it. It's a major media story, given my role here at Fox, but the company has decided that as part of the organization being sued, I can't talk about it or write about.”

He said he disagreed with the decision, “but as an employee, I have to abide by it.”
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/fox ... 34597.html
OPK

Post by OPK » February 28th, 2023, 2:36 pm

February 28th, 2023, 2:24 pm

Their excuse is horseshit, but they won't call it "ignoring it", they'll simply say they aren't allowed to.
True, even though they are reporting in it in the WSJ which is also a Rupert Murdoch property:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-deposit ... s-c9348fc0

Funny how they treat their WSJ consumers differently than their FoxNews viewers….
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 28th, 2023, 4:08 pm

OPK wrote:
February 28th, 2023, 2:36 pm
February 28th, 2023, 2:24 pm

Their excuse is horseshit, but they won't call it "ignoring it", they'll simply say they aren't allowed to.
True, even though they are reporting in it in the WSJ which is also a Rupert Murdoch property:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-deposit ... s-c9348fc0

Funny how they treat their WSJ consumers differently than their FoxNews viewers….
Slaves weren't taught how to read for a reason. :shhh:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 15th, 2023, 3:11 pm

Trump's campaign hits Desantis with an ethics complaint. That's rich.
Donald Trump’s allies are stepping up their battle with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, formally accusing him of violating state ethics and election laws with his “shadow presidential campaign.”
https://www.yahoo.com/news/ron-desantis ... 30766.html
OPK

Post by OPK » March 21st, 2023, 5:49 pm

“Tick tock, Mr. Wick . . . .”
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 21st, 2023, 8:47 pm

OPK wrote:
March 21st, 2023, 5:49 pm
Donald Trumpis expected to be indicted on Wednesday but won't head to New York to appear before a judge next week, RadarOnline.com has learned.

Following the ex-president's likely formal charges, the Manhattan District Attorney's office will connect with the Secret Service detail to arrange Trump's surrender, an insider spilled. Upon his arrival, he will be arraigned, fingerprinted, and pose for his mug shot.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... 0cc8&ei=43
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » March 21st, 2023, 9:02 pm

March 21st, 2023, 8:47 pm
OPK wrote:
Donald Trumpis expected to be indicted on Wednesday but won't head to New York to appear before a judge next week, RadarOnline.com has learned.

Following the ex-president's likely formal charges, the Manhattan District Attorney's office will connect with the Secret Service detail to arrange Trump's surrender, an insider spilled. Upon his arrival, he will be arraigned, fingerprinted, and pose for his mug shot.
If he had to await trial at Rikers I bet he wouldn't do his usual stall tactics.

It sounds like this will be a tough one to get a guilty verdict on. Hopefully the judge won't put up with any of his shenanigans.

My office is walking distance from where all of this is likely taking place but I will be staying far away.
OPK

Post by OPK » March 21st, 2023, 9:14 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
March 21st, 2023, 9:02 pm
March 21st, 2023, 8:47 pm
OPK wrote:

If he had to await trial at Rikers I bet he wouldn't do his usual stall tactics.

It sounds like this will be a tough one to get a guilty verdict on. Hopefully the judge won't put up with any of his shenanigans.

My office is walking distance from where all of this is likely taking place but I will be staying far away.
If I represented Trump, of course the first thing I would do is get my money up front. Then, of all the legal jeopardy he may face, this one would give me the least heartburn. Georgia, the Feds, and the NY lawsuit in October are much more problematic. This by contrast seems like a Bill Clinton — lied about an affair, will have some minor legal impact if convicted (no jail)*, may actually help politically.

*Unless Trump start attacking the judge on social media or inciting the threat of violence, in which case all bets are off.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » March 21st, 2023, 9:30 pm

OPK wrote:
March 21st, 2023, 9:14 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:

If I represented Trump, of course the first thing I would do is get my money up front. Then, of all the legal jeopardy he may face, this one would give me the least heartburn. Georgia, the Feds, and the NY lawsuit in October are much more problematic. This by contrast seems like a Bill Clinton — lied about an affair, will have some minor legal impact if convicted (no jail)*, may actually help politically.

*Unless Trump start attacking the judge on social media or inciting the threat of violence, in which case all bets are off.
That is the sense I was getting about this. I'm not a fan of Bragg's and if I am getting my cases straight, the super lawyers who were leading the case quit so now it is the B team (though I am sure they are still very competent). I agree that this seems like a chance for Trump to grandstand, even if he is found guilty. One would think that this would upset evangelicals but at this point it is very clear that nothing would upset them, though perhaps when presented with the option of DeSantis who seems to be Trump without the affairs and shady business deals, maybe they will flip.
OPK

Post by OPK » March 21st, 2023, 10:22 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
March 21st, 2023, 9:30 pm
OPK wrote:
March 21st, 2023, 9:14 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:

That is the sense I was getting about this. I'm not a fan of Bragg's and if I am getting my cases straight, the super lawyers who were leading the case quit so now it is the B team (though I am sure they are still very competent). I agree that this seems like a chance for Trump to grandstand, even if he is found guilty. One would think that this would upset evangelicals but at this point it is very clear that nothing would upset them, though perhaps when presented with the option of DeSantis who seems to be Trump without the affairs and shady business deals, maybe they will flip.
Of course, by the time this comes to trial, he may have one to four other prosecutions going and maybe even have one case tried first if Fulton County gets in gear. I wonder if this really rallies Republicans, or (more likely IMO) it just crystallizes the split between the MAGA wing and the “I’m tired of this shit and want to get back to Reaganism” Republicans. These things may just metastasize the schism.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 22nd, 2023, 11:34 am

OPK wrote:
March 21st, 2023, 10:22 pm
I wonder if this really rallies Republicans, or (more likely IMO) it just crystallizes the split between the MAGA wing and the “I’m tired of this shit and want to get back to Reaganism” Republicans. These things may just metastasize the schism.
Ding ding ding

The GOP knows that drama won't win them the White House, and will likely lose them Congressional seats since for the most part IF Trump is the nominee, then all races are tied to him. Trump has his loyalists, but in the grand Republican scheme of things, they are the minority. A loud one, but a minority nonetheless.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 22nd, 2023, 1:14 pm

The grand jury in NYC isn't meeting today.

Probably taking a mental health day.
OPK

Post by OPK » March 22nd, 2023, 3:25 pm

March 22nd, 2023, 11:34 am
OPK wrote:
March 21st, 2023, 10:22 pm
I wonder if this really rallies Republicans, or (more likely IMO) it just crystallizes the split between the MAGA wing and the “I’m tired of this shit and want to get back to Reaganism” Republicans. These things may just metastasize the schism.
Ding ding ding

The GOP knows that drama won't win them the White House, and will likely lose them Congressional seats since for the most part IF Trump is the nominee, then all races are tied to him. Trump has his loyalists, but in the grand Republican scheme of things, they are the minority. A loud one, but a minority nonetheless.
If the Rs cannot come together and mend fences, it’s gonna be hard for them to win. My guess is that there are a fair number of Rs who will not vote for Trump under any circumstances. It does not need to be a huge number to throw the election to the Ds.

Similarly, if Trump is not the nominee, there are some MAGA folks who will not vote for the guy Trump bashed (and will continue to bash) for a year and a half. No way Trump goes quietly into that long night unless he is incarcerated without a cell phone.

The Rs had the chance after J6 to just rip the bandaid off and dump Trump. They chickened out, and now the chickens have come home to roost. If they had thrown Trump overboard two years ago, they would be in recovery now instead of just starting the next ring of the circus.
OPK

Post by OPK » March 22nd, 2023, 4:16 pm

For all the focus on NYC right now, I think this is the biggest story going in terms of Trump’s danger zone:

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/16386 ... 4eQSVGFT_g
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 22nd, 2023, 5:07 pm

OPK wrote:
March 22nd, 2023, 4:16 pm
For all the focus on NYC right now, I think this is the biggest story going in terms of Trump’s danger zone:

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/16386 ... 4eQSVGFT_g
yep yep

That's likely making him sweat.