Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » July 16th, 2018, 8:29 pm

Jammy Pale Ale (draft)-pFriem Family Brewers

My "let's wait 30-45 minutes to get a dinner table beer."

Local. Again.

Twelve ounce pour was lemon-yellow with a bit of haze and a modest, creamy head. Their PR person musta had a couple extra samples of their barrel aged brews when they wrote, "marionberries, strawberry preserves, candied pineapple and peach and round notes of cantaloupe, blueberries, gummy bears and lemon balm," () or my palate is severely uneducated as I thought it was stone fruity with some tangerine and mango flavors with some faint floral hop aromas and tastes. IBUs of 32 and ABV at 5.4%. Made me think of NoDa's Jam Session Pale Ale and wish I had tasted that at some time to compare (over a great elapsed time and distance).
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 17th, 2018, 12:17 am

Belgian Strong Blonde (draft)-pFriem Family Brewing

Twelve ounces of liquid pleasure in a tulip.

Pour was a clear light gold-yellow with a fizzy, single-fingered head that left a nice curtain of Belgian lace on my glass. A lemon grass scented fruit basket of aromas arose from my glass and was followed by fresh apples, pears, clove, orange and a bit of black pepper. IBUs were 30 and the ABV was 7.5%. It was not a good pairing with the poutine so I finished that before finishing the enchanting elixir as we chatted after dinner last PM. Would order this again without hesitation.

Overall, our trip to pFriem last PM was a wonderful experience meeting and dining with friends on the Columbia River, despite the temperature approaching 100. Very good food, excellent beer, both exceeding my expectations. I'd search out their beer if we visit the Pacific NW any time in the future and will confirm/applaud Tripping William's review/recommendation from several weeks ago. Ymm, Beer hits another one out of the park.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 19th, 2018, 10:48 pm

Lucy (draft)-Walking Man Brewing

Delayed entry from Monday night.

Final, new local brew.

This was a rather interesting Berliner Weisse beer. Pour was a light amber. I even questioned our server if I received the correct beer and she suggested I taste it and return it if I thought it in error. Nose of a cola-lemonade, meaning a bit sweet but mostly sour. Tasting was mildly sour with similar perceptions to the aromas and a bit hard to discern. Maybe a Sour Patch Kids lemon-cola gummi bear. IBUs in the zone at 6 (no typo) and the ABV listed on the menu at another restaurant in town (this was not consumed at the brewery that is located about 2 blocks away) was 6% but the website claims 5%, both a bit high for the style, generally from 3-4%. A pleasant companion to some beer batter-fried Alaskan salmon, fries (the Washington version of fish and chips) and a large pile of slaw. Overall, it was good but a bit "off" for the style.

That ends the new draft beer odyssey in the Pacific NW. I've got 2 pairs of corked and caged bottled brews from pFriem but I'm not spilling any more info than that as a delivery awaits another denizen of the Ymm, Beer thread...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 21st, 2018, 11:26 pm

Porter-Port City Brewing Company

Final brew from my June beer club 4 pack and surprisingly good after I had their Monumental IPA which I recall as average.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass with a dark brown color and a moderate, latte-like head. Aromas of medium roast coffee and cocoa powder waft through the air. A slightly dark roast coffee on the palate with some more cocoa powder and then dark caramel. Bitterness mild to moderate with IBUs at 45 and ABV a bit high for a standard porter at 7.2%. This would be a pleasant after dinner drink by itself, with a chocolate and/or caramel dessert or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a beer float. Quality stuff here.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 22nd, 2018, 7:31 pm

Bell Tower (draft)-Raleigh Brewing Company

Back to local!

Beer #1 in a 4 beer flight @ 4 ounces each. A mango Berliner Weisse.

Pour was a cloudy, peachy-yellow with a small head. Mildly sour nose with a bit of citrus followed by mild, puckery lemon-lime tastes. If I blind-tasted this, I'm not sure I'd identify mango. I'll guess IBUs <10 (sour, not bitter, if that makes sense). ABV was 3.8%. Not a bad beer but not a standout. It'd be nice with a plate of fruit.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 22nd, 2018, 7:36 pm

Sunswept (draft)-Raleigh Brewing Company

Beer #2 in my 4 beer flight. A lemon saison.

Fuse has a fine palate. Pale, straw-yellow color with a bit of haze. I probably came away with a bit better perception but not much. Weak flavo(u)r with a pinch of black pepper from (presumed) Belgian yeast strain/s. I'll guess IBUs at <20 with the ABV at 4.6%. Pairing? Moving on to the next sample .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 22nd, 2018, 10:51 pm

TherHoppy (draft)-Raleigh Brewing Company

Still sipping local!

This was beer #3 in my flight and was a hazy yellow-straw hue with a thin, white head. There was some hay along with orchard fruit aromas on the nose with some not-quite-ripe apples, pears and herbal/floral tastes/bitterness with a pinch of black pepper at the end, all kinda/sorta expected with its labeling as a hoppy saison. This may be another style that shouldn't be "hoppy," along with wh*at and brown ales as others here have mentioned before. I'll guess IBUs about 40 and the ABV was 6.4%, both above the expected #s for the style. I think this would be tasty with a chicken salad sammich or a turkey BLT.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 22nd, 2018, 10:58 pm

NotAnother (draft)-Raleigh Brewing Company

The final entrant in the sampler this evening was (yes) another NEIPA.

Appearance was quite hazy and juicy with aromas of the tropics, particularly pineapple. Tastes were Dole pineapple-grapefruit juice with maybe a 70/30 "mixture." Mild bitterness, guessing 40 IBUs here with the ABV at 6.1%, both in sync with the style. I'd readily sip a pint of this and pair it with a fruited and mildly spicy salsa topping on some grilled fish.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 24th, 2018, 10:55 pm

Unicycle (draft)-Crank Arm Brewing

Even more local!

I had some reservations when I saw this labeled a single hop pale ale featuring Cascade hops but I was pleasantly surprised after tasting. Pour was a light orange-bronze with a small head. The somewhat cedar-y, herbal nose was enticing and not the pine I was expecting. Tastes were also pleasing with oak-y/woody flavors, hints or resin and a mild orange rind-y finish. There was a bit of light brown sugar, too. Stats met the pale ale standards, too, at 35 IBUs and 4.8% ABV. Paired nicely with several different appetizers at a restaurant tonight, including fried oysters with a celery root remoulade, a fig and goat cheese flatbread and a charcuterie board. I'd sip this again and might have to make a visit to the brewery some time.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 24th, 2018, 11:08 pm

Briarberry Standard Sour-Brueprint Brewing Company

Yep, more local!

This Apex brewery has really improved its products over the last few year going from several "standard" brews to an ever-increasing number of barrel-aged, high gravity and/or sour beers.

This was a 16 ounce can from Sunday evening after a meet up with fuse. Excellent choices of company, location and trading material.

One of the prettier beers I've ever poured, competing with Wisconsin Belgian Red, Raspberry Tart and Serendipity, all from New Glarus, and some Belgian lambics. This was a cloudy, raspberry hie with a small, fizzy head. Oh, my, what a bouquet of aromas including berries, lemons and limes. Tastes were mostly berries (raspberries and blackberries added) to accompany the mildly sour flavors of lemons and limes (not sure if added) and some rind. Sour Patch Berry Kids? Berry lemon/limeade? I'll guess IBUs around 10 and the ABV of 4.5% made this quite easy to sip on a warm summer evening. An excellent example of the fruited sour style.

Thanks fuse!!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 25th, 2018, 6:03 pm

Coconut Lime Standard Sour-Brüeprint Brewing Company

Still local!

Don't blame me when that silly and annoying song/jingle starts dancing through your brain .

I'm in a "sour" mood, (many) thanks again to fuse for finding/trading this half quart can this weekend. Brüeprint continues to impress. Poured into a standard pint glass with a bit of sipping mid-pour to accommodate all of this concoction, its appearance was a cloudy, lemon-straw color with a small, fizzy, fairly short-lived head. "You put the lime in the coconut..." Aromas of the tropics emanated from my glass with coconut milk and fresh squeezed lime up front. The tastes were the same, followed by some pucker, a splash of lemon juice, maybe a bit of orange but no way would I have thought grapefruit thought the message on the can tries to convince me otherwise . Yet another Sour Patch Kids/Warheads reference here: coconut/lemon-lime? I'll guess IBUs about 10 (sour, not bitter) with the ABV at 4.5%, this was a tart, refreshing nightcap on a warm, humid summer night. Rumor has it each can in the (mixed?) 4 pack was $5 and worth every (s)cent. Would greatly enjoy a draft of this, too.

Thanks to fuse!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 27th, 2018, 10:29 pm

From 4/6/18:
devildeac wrote:King of Boggle-Trophy Brewing Company

Beer #3 from the winning bracket pool . Hazy juice!

This was a 16 ounce can labeled as a NE IPA and divided among 3 tasters Wednesday night. Appearance was a cloudy orange-yellow with a generous, foamy head. Oh, my, what a juicy, grapefruity nose with perfectly matching tastes. There may have been a bit of mango and hints of rind/zest, too. Very mild caramel-y sweetness. Even our younger daughter, not an IPA fan at all, found this very tasty. No IBUs quoted so I'll guess 50. ABV on their tap list and on the label was 7.3%. I'd buy a pint of this at the taproom/brewery if available or a 4 pack of this if I see it so sip/trade and share, even at about $3.50/pint can. Highly recommended, especially to mattman if he can find it at Bruisin' Ales or Tasty Beverage in his home zip code.
From last PM:

King of Boggle (brewed on 6/8/18)-Trophy Brewing Company

Yep, found and bought a 4 pack last week. Price this time was $4.50+tax/16 ounce can without any 4 pack discount. Sometimes I wonder why I buy any additional beer beyond my monthly beer club 4 pack and some drafts at Bottle Rev . Might appear as a trader sometime soon...

Pretty similar tasting impressions with perhaps some pineapple and papaya flavors with this release. I'd anticipate a draft pint of this would be fabulous at the brewery or one of the local beer shops.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 30th, 2018, 7:56 pm

Revive (draft)-Upland Brewing Company

Not local.

Tried on a whim today at the bottle shop 1.5 blocks from my office. Totally new brewery to me but they claim to be the second largest brewery in Indiana (or should that be In The Ana). I'll guess FFF is the largest.

It was a pineapple-chamomile sour and one of the first beers released out of the Wood Shop with the base beer being Basis and aged for 3-4 months in oak with the ingredients listed above. Half pint pour ($4) was cloudy yellow with a small head. Yep, smells like a pineapple and tastes like a pineapple-lemon soda. I'm not sure I "get" any chamomile. Mildly tart/sour and I'll guess IBUs about 10. ABV is 6%. Would pair nicely with some grilled white fish with a fruit compote/salsa topping. I have no clue what their 500 ml bottle would cost but certainly worth tasting again.

Maybe luburch and/or thedukelamere could elaborate on this brewery...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 30th, 2018, 10:52 pm

Fourth Wave (draft)-Breakside Brewery

After fuse posted his link of the 324 IPAs that none of us here were invited to tasted, I remembered this brewery and looked (weakly/lamely) for any sight of their products while we were in Oregon but to no avail. So, what do I find today while looking at draft lists and shelves from a couple bottle shops in town? Yep, Breakside beers. Several of them.

This was on the electronic draft board as a BA Vienna lager. Well, it sorta fit the description. Half pint pour ($4) was a cloudy, yellow-amber with a thin, tan head. What's that aroma? Coffee? Couldn't be! In a Vienna lager? Indeed it was as the tastes were light roast java from Stumptown Coffee in Portland, OR. Wait, is that bourbon I'm smelling and tasting? Why yes, the booze is there, too, from lounging 14 months in Heaven Hill Bourbon barrels. The BBA also imparts some notes of vanilla and toasted coconut (neither added) and some caramel-y notes. IBUs at 40, a bit high for a lager. The ABV was noted at 9.4% (9.6% on the website), technically making this an imperial lager and, after about 4 ounces, it began to warm the palate. After dinner drink? Dessert? Buy a half pint for yourself and decide. Definitely makes me look forward to my bomber of Tall Guy, one of the top 15ish IPAs on the top 324 mentioned above.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 31st, 2018, 10:59 pm

Oatmeal IPA-Mother Earth Brewing

Drink almost local!

I love my Mother again .

Well, after Blackbeard's Booty, their hoppy blonde ale, I had lost a bit of faith in the brewery. However, beer #1 from my July beer club 4 pack is redemption. IPAs can get rather tiring but with the addition of flaked oats to the grain bill, imparting a smooth, silky mouthfeel to each sip, this brew is a pleasant twist on the style. The 12 ounce can poured a slightly hazy, yellow-gold with a modest, cream head. Yep, smells like grapefruit. Mouthfeel is a bit juicy and smooth with a very mild bitter, rind-y finish. Tastes like grapefruit as expected but there's a bit of peach and a hint of cantaloupe here, too. No IBUs quoted so I'll guess 50. The ABV is 6.5%. I think the fruity-bitterness would be interesting with sweet and sour dishes or mildly spicy fare. Definitely worth a 6er to share/trade or a single can or pint to try yourself.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 1st, 2018, 11:23 pm

Lady of the Lakes-Bell's Brewery

Oh wait, sorry. That should be:

Lager of the Lakes-Bell's Brewery

Bohemian style lager.

Beer #2 from my July beer club 4 pack.

Pour was a light yellow-tinged straw color with a moderate, foamy head. Expected aromas of flowers and very lightly toasted grains. Minimal floral bitterness with a bit of corn syrupy sweetness. Bell's doesn't publish IBUs but my palate thought 30 or less. The ABV is 5% so it's a very light, pleasant porch pounder. Certainly worth a single bottle/can/draft or a 6er to share/trade.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 2nd, 2018, 12:48 pm

From 4/24/18:
devildeac wrote:High West Barrel Aged Victory at Sea (2017)-Ballast Point (cough, Constellation, cough) Brewing

(No, not August West 8-| )

This beer's name is too long .

Highly recommended several months ago by our older son-in-law's father and seen for the first time last week so I bought a $16 four pack of 12 ounce bottles. Nice drop.

It's an imperial porter that has the appearance of an imperial stout, meaning it was a fairly viscous, almost black pour with a generous, medium khaki head. Nose of coffee (added), dark chocolate and booze (aged in bourbon and rye whiskey oak casks). Smooth, almost oily mouthfeel with espresso, semi-sweet chocolate, vanilla (added; also likely intensified by the bourbon/rye/oak whiskey barrel "storage"), burnt caramel and toasted almond flavors. Mildly bitter, likely from both the heavily roasted grains and a modest hop bill, with IBUs at 35. Seductive and dangerous with the ABV at 12%. Sipped from a snifter last PM over an hour and slightly chilled before decanting. Highly recommended.
From last PM:

High West Barrel Aged Victory at Sea (9/2/17 bottling date)-Ballast Point Brewing

I guess it's ok to review after another 3 months "in the cellar." Couldn't wait 6 months like I usually do.

Let's see, what's different?

Perhaps a bit thinner and a tad less booziness with more dark chocolate-covered caramel flavors this time around. Maybe I'll sample/share this in November at a tailgate with the 2018 w00t Stout.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 4th, 2018, 9:46 am

From 1/18/18:
devildeac wrote:From 8/19/17:
devildeac wrote:From 3/7/17:
devildeac wrote:From Sunday/Monday nights, about a half a snifter each evening:

Bourbon Barrel Quad 2016 (best by 9/8/18 on bottle)-Boulevard Brewing Company

Now available as 4 packs of 12 ounce bottles (maybe $15 after my buck off Total Wine coupon last month), a much more consumer/price friendly way to sell beer.

Same bouquet from my Alewerks snifter with very similar tastes so if doesn't appear they altered the "formula" too much, especially considering the IBUs and the ABV are identical. Truly outstanding product at a much better price than the $16-18 I recall seeing on the 750 ml format. Plus, I don't have to share my small bottles (-kidding-I've got 3 left and intend to save 1 for a year and share/trade the others most likely)
From last PM:

Bourbon Barrel Quad (same bottle dating)-Boulevard Brewing Company

Well, I saved it less than 6 months so now it's a bit less than a year old .

All you would expect from a Belgian-style quad and bourbon barrel aging with a moderate foamy head and aromas and tastes of booze-soaked raisins, dates, figs with some (lots?) of brown sugar and a bit of rumminess. IBUs at 26 and I think the ABV was a dangerously sippable 11.8%. Now there are 2 bottles remaining. What to do, what to do...
From last PM:

With 5-6" of snow on the ground, I figured out what to do with one of my two remaining bottles last night .

From last PM:

Bourbon Barrel Quad (date on bottle is 09SEPT2018)-Boulevard Brewing Company

I'm not sure if they suggest 3 or 5 years of "shelf life" for this product so the actual bottling date is somewhere from 2013 to 2015.

Similar appearance and bouquet from my Founders snifter but with very little head. Tastes were slightly "off" but not overly foamy or spoiled. Unfortunately, there was some sediment that I didn't leave in the 12 ounce bottle but it really didn't spoil my enjoyment after I allowed it to warm for about 15 minutes and most of the "chunk" had time to settle. Flavors of dark, dried fruits were still prominent with perhaps a bit more "wood" and toasted coconut during this sipping. I'm guessing the final bottle makes it to a tailgate this year, but no promises :p
From last PM:

Bourbon Barrel Quad-Boulevard Brewing Company

Not gonna make it to tailgate this year .;

Nightcap last PM. I slept well (11.8% ABV).

I thought this one aged reasonably well with a pour into a snifter, this time with a moderate head that gave me a bit of worry but the aromas and tastes were not "turned." I avoided almost all the sediment so it was a fairly clear, medium ruby-brown pour. I'd say this one had more cherries in the nose and on the palate and was almost sherry-like with a late, warm bourbon closing. Quite smooth, as I'd expect from the style, with IBUs at 28. Highly recommended for a bit of a splurge, sipping one every 6 months for a couple years.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 7th, 2018, 9:25 am

The Taxman visited last PM and "audited" the last 4 cans I had in my possession (and shared with our son):

Passion Fruit Guava La Maison-Taxman Brewing Company

See post immediately above re: beer filter. A wise investment of about $0.20 to salvage an unattractive, funky, chunky, almost undrinkable mess into a fairly respectable offering last evening.

After straining through the "beer" filter, it was still a bit murky but a more attractive pinkish-brown. Slightly sour nose with some underripe guava bitterness that was balanced by mild sweetness from the passion fruit. The typical saison flavors were present also. Our son had minimal, fine sediment remaining after his 6 ounce portion and I had a bit more "ground" but no chunks as fuse and I both had from our first tastings.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 7th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Apropos-Taxman Brewing

A vast improvement over the damaged goods from 6 weeks ago.

This was a 12 ounce can shared with our son. Pour was a slightly hazy apricot color (D'oh!) with a generous, foamy head. I don't think the aromas were quite as sour as what fuse described but they were certainly tart, as were the tastes, which made me think again of the Sour Patch Kids/Warheads candy comparison of sour apricot confections with a mildly sweet finish. I think IBUs were 30 and the ABV was 8%, making this an imperial saison or farmhouse ale. Would be pleasant with a fresh fruit plate or mixed berry ta