LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by CathyCA » July 31st, 2009, 6:27 pm

TillyGalore wrote:"Coal-Char" I am the Beach Babe who has been misprounancing your name. I called you "Coal-Car".

Oh, I don't remember what we what we said about you, I was drunk.
I think that "Coal-Car" is a cute posting name.

And I was drinking on the beach, but I wasn't drunk until we started dialing back at DukePA's house.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 31st, 2009, 6:30 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:So how many different pronunciations are there for DukeUsul?
In my brain, which I have already proven is on a different wavelength, I prounounce your name Duke-you-sul(like hull). Make sense? Am I close?
No, it's actually ooo-sul.

The name is taken from a character in Frank Herbert's Dune. If you want to hear it pronounced, here's a clip from the very horrible David Lynch (1984) film adaptation. The bearded guy says Usul when Kyle MacLachlan walks up to him (about 0:39) and then again later around 3:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld2DMsyy0go
Oopsie! I've been pronouncing your name wrong. I always pronounced it Yoo-sool.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 31st, 2009, 6:37 pm

colchar wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
colchar wrote: Actually, it is pronounced Call-in.
Not in Dixie it ain't.

Well everyone in Dixie is wrong then. Considering the fact that the name is Scottish, I'm pretty sure we know how to pronounce it. Damned Yankees can't ever speak proper English can they ;)
Um, my Scottish ancestors arrived here in Dixie--before it was Dixie. So, I'm pretty sure we know how to pronounce it here, too.

Do you know where Argyllshire is? My ancestors lived around Dunoon.

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 31st, 2009, 6:42 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:Pronounce looks funny as a word to me. Especially when you look at its counterpart - pronunciation.

Discuss.
I went to a wedding about 15 years ago, and when I read the wedding program, I almost laughed out loud. In the Order of Service, there was listed "The Pronunciation of Marriage," instead of "The Pronouncement of Marriage." I had wondered whether we were all going to say "Marriage" in unison at that portion of the ceremony.

I don't know whether this was the bride's oversight, or that of the presiding minister.

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 31st, 2009, 6:45 pm

Shammrog wrote:I am horny.
TMI

~ James Naismith
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » July 31st, 2009, 6:59 pm

CathyCA wrote:
Um, my Scottish ancestors arrived here in Dixie--before it was Dixie. So, I'm pretty sure we know how to pronounce it here, too.
But if it pronounced 'call-un' down there then no, it is not being pronounced correctly. I've spent plenty of time in Scotland (lived there for several years and have been back several times) and I have never ever heard anyone pronounce it any way other than 'call-in'. And in England, Wales, and Ireland it is always pronounced 'call-in' as well. The way they pronounce it in Dixie is not the way the name is meant to be pronounced. Heck, even the Wikipedia page makes absolutely no mention of it being pronounced 'call-un'. Just because they pronounce it that way in the southern US does not make it correct.

Do you know where Argyllshire is? My ancestors lived around Dunoon.

Argyllshire no longer exists. But the area you are talking about is just north of Ayrshire where I am from (I used to live in Ayr). And I have a cousin who lives in Gourock and whose front window looks out over the Firth of Clyde towards Dunoon, Holy Loch, etc. (she is directly across the water from them). If I ever win the lottery I'm going to buy her house - I'll just keep upping my offer until she says yes. I also have several friends who live in Greenock which is just above Gourock. Check out the photos on my Facebook page and you'll see pictures that I took there last summer - with Dunoon visible in some of them.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » July 31st, 2009, 7:00 pm

Hubby was supposed to fly the RDU tonight and return tomorrow with Number 3 son Tommy. The weather has kept him in Boston. He's going to fly down tomorrow morning, change planes in Atlanta, get into Durham around 2:20pm and come back with Tommy at the regularly scheduled time of 5:10pm. Sound like fun?
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » July 31st, 2009, 7:01 pm

So, colchar, what kind of accent do you have. I met a man with a lovely Scottish accent today.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » July 31st, 2009, 7:05 pm

CathyCA wrote:I went to a wedding about 15 years ago, and when I read the wedding program, I almost laughed out loud. In the Order of Service, there was listed "The Pronunciation of Marriage," instead of "The Pronouncement of Marriage." I had wondered whether we were all going to say "Marriage" in unison at that portion of the ceremony.
=)) :)) =)) :)) :)) =))

Or whether the minister would pull a Rowan Atkinson from "Four Weddings and a Funeral."
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » July 31st, 2009, 7:14 pm

Bostondevil wrote:Hubby was supposed to fly the RDU tonight and return tomorrow with Number 3 son Tommy. The weather has kept him in Boston. He's going to fly down tomorrow morning, change planes in Atlanta, get into Durham around 2:20pm and come back with Tommy at the regularly scheduled time of 5:10pm. Sound like fun?
:-q
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » July 31st, 2009, 7:42 pm

Bostondevil wrote:So, colchar, what kind of accent do you have. I met a man with a lovely Scottish accent today.

Generally, I have a Canadian accent but there is a Scottish accent that runs through it as I was living in Scotland when I learned to speak as a child. And the Canadian accent is stronger here because A) I am surrounded by Canadians and B) because I am conscious of the fact that there are certain words and phrases that I could never use here because nobody, other than fellow Scots, would understand them. Because of that the Scottish part of my accent is downplayed a bit.

But when I am in Britain my Scottish accent comes to the fore and my Canadian accent recedes into the background, to the point of barely being noticeable. My Scottish accent is strong when I am in England and is really strong when I am in Scotland. In fact, cousins of mine and friends of the family remarked to me last summer that I sounded as if I had never left - and my accent wasn't that bad last year because a friend from Canada was staying with me for the majority of my trip and I was speaking to him every day. The constant conversations with another Canadian muted my Scottish accent somewhat but it was still easily distinguishable. Had he not been there though, there would have been virtually no trace of my Canadian accent. On other trips I have had people, in both England and Scotland, ask how I could be Canadian when I don't have any trace of a Canadian accent and have a purely Scottish one.

So, to summarize, my accent depends on where I am.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 31st, 2009, 9:41 pm

bjornolf wrote:
Shammrog wrote:I am horny.
You're male, so just know that is always an assumed state.
Unless, of course, he's being literal and there are horns growing out of his body as we speak. :ymdevil:

%%-
That would be a symptom of unprotected horniness.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 31st, 2009, 9:42 pm

Bostondevil wrote:Hubby was supposed to fly the RDU tonight and return tomorrow with Number 3 son Tommy. The weather has kept him in Boston. He's going to fly down tomorrow morning, change planes in Atlanta, get into Durham around 2:20pm and come back with Tommy at the regularly scheduled time of 5:10pm. Sound like fun?
Only for Tommy. I loved flying as a kid.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 31st, 2009, 9:44 pm

This also sounds mathematically impossible. Unless he doesn't disembark.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 31st, 2009, 9:45 pm

4 in a row. Been a while.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » July 31st, 2009, 9:51 pm

I wish I could paint or write a novel.
-- DukeUsul
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 31st, 2009, 9:54 pm

DukeUsul wrote:I wish I could paint or write a novel.
Who says you can't?
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » July 31st, 2009, 9:59 pm

DukeUsul wrote:I wish I could paint or write a novel.
Who says you can't?
I'm unsure. But it would require effort to find out, and I'm just feeling lazy. I used to draw a lot - like way back - haven't done anything like that in a long time.
-- DukeUsul
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » July 31st, 2009, 10:14 pm

This also sounds mathematically impossible. Unless he doesn't disembark.
And will travelling with no luggage increase his time in security lines?
Life is good!
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » July 31st, 2009, 10:26 pm

CathyCA wrote:
And I was drinking on the beach, but I wasn't drunk until we started dialing back at DukePA's house.
:-? Sounds like Ezzie could be to blame, perhaps? :-?
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"